Menu

Gummies/Fruit snacks - real food??

Granny_Weatherwax

How do you classify gummies?  

195 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider gummies (like Motts Fruit Medleys)...

• Real food - snack
    • Real food - dessert
    • Real food - side dish (like a fruit cup or applesauce)
    • Junk food - snack
    • Junk food - dessert
    • Junk food - side dish
    • Other

What do you think of gummies?

Edited: I edited the title as I really meant fruit snacks and not gummy worms/bears/etc. My DGD calls fruit snacks gummies and that's the word I went with. I apologize for any confusion.

Also, the wording of 'real' vs. 'junk' food is by no means meant to imply anything about foodism, classism, or anything in any way negative about the people who purchase or do not purchase fruit snacks or gummies.

Edited by ScoutermominIL

We call them "fruit snacks" to distinguish from "actual fruit" and from "gummies" such as gummy worms and gummy bears which are are just plain "candy" and don't even have a kissing cousin relationship with any vitamin or nutrient other than sugar.

• Like 2

I would consider ordinary fruit gummies to be a sort of junk, a sugar snack.  However, it's possible that there are varieties that may have nutrients, such as a homemade version made with specific types of natural gelatin, e.g. Great Lakes, where I'd consider the gelatin to be a nutrient (can also make vitamin gummies).  I haven't looked at the organic offerings.

ETA, for some reason I was thinking about the fruit snacks and not candy gummies which are clearly candy.  But I think fruit gummies are not much of a step up from that, maybe just slightly less sweet.

Edited by wapiti
  • Like 1

I would consider ordinary fruit gummies to be a sort of junk, a sugar snack. However, it's possible that there are varieties that may have nutrients, such as a homemade version made with specific types of natural gelatin, e.g. Great Lakes, where I'd consider the gelatin to be a nutrient (can also make vitamin gummies). I haven't looked at the organic offerings.

ETA, for some reason I was thinking about the fruit snacks and not candy gummies which are clearly candy. But I think fruit gummies are not much of a step up from that, maybe just slightly less sweet.

I also consider them to be a somewhat junky snack.

As far as vitamins. Both our pedi and dentist told us to stay away from gummy vitamins due to the negative effect they can have on teeth.

• Like 1

I said Junk food snack, but then realized that when I put them in the kids lunchbox, I always consider them the dessert. 

In my mind they are a candy.  Below a snickers in nutrition (at least that has real peanuts) and above a Pixie stick (because that is just sugar/chemicals) and at least the gummies I buy are real fruit.  It probably isn't any better IRL, but in my mind it is. LOL 

• Like 2

I said Junk food snack, but then realized that when I put them in the kids lunchbox, I always consider them the dessert. 

<snip>

^This is the reason for the discussion. 

I consider them the dessert, too. When I pack DGD's lunch, I'll include a sandwich, some carrot chips, some sliced grapes and a pack of Motts Fruit snacks. The fruit snacks are the dessert. 

When I hike or kayak, I'll throw in some fruit snacks/gummies since they are lightweight and give an immediate sugar rush which is often needed on long treks. In this case, they are a snack.

One mother in DGD's kindergarten class uses them as a side dish (for lack of a better term). She includes them with the packed lunch but then also adds a brownie/Twinkie/cupcake or some other treat as a dessert. Now DGD is wanting a dessert, too, in addition to her gummies.

This has lead to conversations as to what food items fall under which categories. This is especially important as DGD and I are going on a Just Us camping trip this weekend and DGD is helping plan the menu. Needless to say, gummies and s'mores have been requested.  :D

• Like 1

I consider them junk fruit. However, the band boosters, who provide meals for the large high school band before school day football games, actually provide them as a "fruit", along with applesauce and fruit cups because they contain a bit of fruit juice. I can't figure out how a bit of fruit juice melded with a lot of sugar even compares to real fruit!

Other.

Depends on the brand and the rest of the meal.

Some brands are "almost food" and some are probably negative nutrition.

As part of a generally decent meal, I have no problem with gummies and a separate dessert. If the rest of the meal is truly nutritionally abysmal so that the gummies were the most nutritious thing in it, I'd hope that isn't a regular meal plan for the child.

Other: Halloween candy. We just bought it today for that purpose, actually.

"Fruit snacks" is brilliant marketing BS, in that you could eat it as a snack (just like a cupcake) and there was some fruit involved in creating it... but yeah, no, that's not a real thing--no more than I'd call maple syrup a "vegan plant extract supplement" (don't we wish!?). They're candy. Actual fruit is a snack.

Edited by whitehawk

It's candy. I mean, I get that some of them have more natural ingredients or some fruit actually in there from juice, but come on. They're just candy.

I have been astounded to see them pop up as the "fruit" in a kid's packed lunch though, so clearly not absolutely everyone sees it that way...

• Like 1

Here is the ingredient list for Motts.  I didn't think it sounded totally awful.  Obviously it is not a piece of fruit, but it is still a step up from gummy worms.

INGREDIENTS

CORN SYRUP, SUGAR, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, PEAR JUICE CONCENTRATE, APPLE JUICE CONCENTRATE, STRAWBERRY PUREE, CARROT JUICE CONCENTRATE. CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: FRUIT PECTIN, CITRIC ACID, VITAMIN C (ASCORBIC ACID), DEXTROSE, SODIUM CITRATE, MALIC ACID, POTASSIUM CITRATE, SUNFLOWER OIL*, VEGETABLE AND FRUIT JUICE ADDED FOR COLOR, NATURAL FLAVOR, CARNAUBA WAX. *ADDS A TRIVIAL AMOUNT OF FAT

All food is real. It is food that can be eaten. I don't distinguish between healthy foods and low nutritional value food by calling one real and the other junk food.

I do use the term junk food but I still consider it real food.

I have a penchant on my period for eating a few sour gummy worms. I don't consider my homemade cookies or blueberry pie to be better or worse than the sour gummies. While a homemade blueberry pie has some nutritional value not found in plain candy, it has enough sugar and simple carbs that it's not a health food either.

I've been thinking a lot about the class implications in how we talk about food in our culture. There are junk foods I would never eat but there are plenty of people who would eschew my sour gummies.

Gummies have no real nutritional value and are basically little candies. But candy is a real food. We rarely buy them but when we do, I don't worry about the boys eating them in modest amounts. Probably where I see them the most is after game snacks. My sons go through 3+ pounds of apples in a day or two on top of a wide array of other fruits. They would die laughing if I called gummies the fruit at lunch.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 3

Here is the ingredient list for Motts.  I didn't think it sounded totally awful.  Obviously it is not a piece of fruit, but it is still a step up from gummy worms.

INGREDIENTS

CORN SYRUP, SUGAR, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, PEAR JUICE CONCENTRATE, APPLE JUICE CONCENTRATE, STRAWBERRY PUREE, CARROT JUICE CONCENTRATE. CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: FRUIT PECTIN, CITRIC ACID, VITAMIN C (ASCORBIC ACID), DEXTROSE, SODIUM CITRATE, MALIC ACID, POTASSIUM CITRATE, SUNFLOWER OIL*, VEGETABLE AND FRUIT JUICE ADDED FOR COLOR, NATURAL FLAVOR, CARNAUBA WAX. *ADDS A TRIVIAL AMOUNT OF FAT

I don't see that as any different though... I've got nothing against corn syrup per se, but it's just sugar. Both the gummy bears and the "fruit snacks" are 90+% sugar. A sip of juice sneaked in there doesn't sway me much. I mean, maybe if it was spinach? But it's not hard to talk kids into just drinking juice. And juice itself is of dubious value. It's not "bad" but it's not great either. An actual apple would be better.

• Like 3

^This is the reason for the discussion.

I consider them the dessert, too. When I pack DGD's lunch, I'll include a sandwich, some carrot chips, some sliced grapes and a pack of Motts Fruit snacks. The fruit snacks are the dessert.

When I hike or kayak, I'll throw in some fruit snacks/gummies since they are lightweight and give an immediate sugar rush which is often needed on long treks. In this case, they are a snack.

One mother in DGD's kindergarten class uses them as a side dish (for lack of a better term). She includes them with the packed lunch but then also adds a brownie/Twinkie/cupcake or some other treat as a dessert. Now DGD is wanting a dessert, too, in addition to her gummies.

This has lead to conversations as to what food items fall under which categories. This is especially important as DGD and I are going on a Just Us camping trip this weekend and DGD is helping plan the menu. Needless to say, gummies and s'mores have been requested. :D

On a camping trip they can be the main course or a side and the s'mores can be dessert.

I guess they could go under more than one label. I voted junk food snack. In the lunch scenario, I would probably just tell my child that they only got one sweet (not counting fruit in that group I guess), if any. Unless it wasn't an every day thing, then I might be like, "whatever" sometimes lol. I really worry about their affect on teeth. Some varieties stick to my teeth.

candy.  I like candy a great deal, but it is an occasional treat.

But I do like them.  If I were going to have something like that, it would be more like a sour patch gummie or the ones shaped like fruit...like 'peach rings' and the cherries... I love those.  Those 'fruit snacks' certainly aren't fruit, but they aren't very good candy either, lol. I'd rather have a tastier version if I'm going to have candy

• Like 1

So, let's say you really wanted to have them?

Gelatin is very good for you.  Make them with fruit juice sans extra sweetener and coloring. :)

If you really want to have them, then have them.

But they aren't made with gelatin. Gummies are made with 'modified food starch' and are vegan.

If you make something with gelatin and fruit juice you will have jello-o type squares or whatever, but not a gummie.  Those are good also!

YOu guys are making me hungry, lol

I put them as a junk food snack, but I would consider them a candy. I suppose you could say we 'snack' on candy, but in general candy is a treat unrelated to hunger, whereas I see a snack as a 'filler' when you're hungry between meals. I wouldn't pass one of the kids a fruit snack (really a sugar snack) if they were hungry.

Do you really believe this?   (asking with curious tone)

INGREDIENTS

candy.  I like candy a great deal, but it is an occasional treat.

But I do like them.  If I were going to have something like that, it would be more like a sour patch gummie or the ones shaped like fruit...like 'peach rings' and the cherries... I love those.  Those 'fruit snacks' certainly aren't fruit, but they aren't very good candy either, lol. I'd rather have a tastier version if I'm going to have candy

This is how I feel too - if I'm going to get something like this, I'm going to get Haribo gummy bears or those old fashioned type licorice strings. :-) 

I also have multiple dental hygienist friends who have scared me away from anything gummy. Which I take as an opportunity to justify eating more chocolate.

I consider them a snack or dessert (akin to chips or candy). We include them in a lunchbox when we do field trips/travel cause they're fun and handy and tasty.

Yes, I said tasty.

Maybe they're crap. Maybe I'm dentist fodder.

Maybe I think sugar isn't evil...in moderation.

(Maybe I think there is an awful lot of food shaming that goes on these days...)

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 2

I consider them a snack or dessert (akin to chips or candy). We include them in a lunchbox when we do field trips/travel cause they're fun and handy and tasty.

Yes, I said tasty.

Maybe they're crap. Maybe I'm dentist fodder.

Maybe I think sugar isn't evil...in moderation.

(Maybe I think there is an awful lot of food shaming that goes on these days...)

I think they're tasty, too. Especially the Mott's which is why my pantry always has a box tucked away on a shelf. Or packages stuffed in a mason jar on the counter. Or in my backpack. Or in the camper's dry goods box. 

I hope everyone understands that I did not intend this thread to delve into the realm of food shaming.

• Like 1

Since most people classify gummies/fruit snacks as candy, I am curious as to where you find them in your local grocery store.

Our local Walmart has fruit snacks in the cereal aisle next to the granola bars. The candy aisle is a few rows over and the gummy bears and worms are there but no fruit snacks. 

Our Hy-Vee (grocery store) also has them in the cereal aisle tucked over by the boxed juices and Kool aid packets. The candy aisle is close by but the fruit snacks are not stocked with the candy.

I voted Junk Food- Snack.  When my kids were littles, fruit snacks were LIFESAVERS.  I can't be the only frazzled parent who got an upset child to quiet in a public place or at an inconvenient time by whipping a little fruit snack package out of my purse.  

Like others, they rank in our diets like candy.  We are not opposed to candy in our house, but it's never part of a meal. 

My kids complained the other day that I never bought them fruit snacks anymore, so I picked up a box of Black Forest fruit juice snacks.  Wow, those are some tasty little buggers.  The number one ingredient is fruit juice concentrate, and they taste like it.  The kids behaved as though I brought them gold so it is worth having a box around for a little bit.  I'm sure it won't last long as DS keeps telling me how much he likes them.  We'll see if I buy another.

• Like 2

I voted Junk Food- Snack.  When my kids were littles, fruit snacks were LIFESAVERS.  I can't be the only frazzled parent who got an upset child to quiet in a public place or at an inconvenient time by whipping a little fruit snack package out of my purse.  

You are not the only one. Nope, not at all.

Like others, they rank in our diets like candy.  We are not opposed to candy in our house, but it's never part of a meal. 

My kids complained the other day that I never bought them fruit snacks anymore, so I picked up a box of Black Forest fruit juice snacks.  Wow, those are some tasty little buggers.  The number one ingredient is fruit juice concentrate, and they taste like it.  The kids behaved as though I brought them gold so it is worth having a box around for a little bit.  I'm sure it won't last long as DS keeps telling me how much he likes them.  We'll see if I buy another.

We've tried the Black Forest snacks, too. I liked the flavor but the texture left something to be desired and ruined the experience. The one's we had were cow shaped. I wonder if we had a bad/old box.

Since most people classify gummies/fruit snacks as candy, I am curious as to where you find them in your local grocery store.

Our local Walmart has fruit snacks in the cereal aisle next to the granola bars. The candy aisle is a few rows over and the gummy bears and worms are there but no fruit snacks.

Our Hy-Vee (grocery store) also has them in the cereal aisle tucked over by the boxed juices and Kool aid packets. The candy aisle is close by but the fruit snacks are not stocked with the candy.

They are near the granola bars across from the cereal aisle where I shop.

Do you really believe this?   (asking with curious tone)

It's a snack or a treat, not a primary food source. 

A person shouldn't live on them, but a snack is not going to kill them either.

ETA, clarifying...

Between an apple or a fruit snack, I would choose an apple.

Between a fruit snack or a gummy worm, I would choose fruit snack.  I don't like artificial colors in particular, and prefer a more natural source of sugar such as fruit juice.  It doesn't make it healthy, just maybe less unhealthy.  Which is fine sometimes.

And then sometimes, you just choose the gummy worm.

Edited by goldberry

All food is real.

<snip>

I've been thinking a lot about the class implications in how we talk about food in our culture.

I've been thinking about it a lot, too, and I'm truly torn in my thought process.

I self-study a lot about nutrition, and my kids are quite well-versed in the concept of moderation (even when they don't care, lol.) Now they're watching other small children eat a diet of fresh fruit, fruit juices, and "junk food". That's literally >90% of their intake. And, of course, my kids want in. Everyone wants to point to the fruit value and ignore the overwhelming sugar content and lacking macros.

Anyway, I know I could be considered privileged and condescending talking whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats, but that doesn't mean bodies don't need those things to function well!

Ultimately, I don't think healthy foods should be kept out of anyone's financial means. Nor should junk food be banned. Putting *morality* on food is insane. Providing adequate nutrition is still crucial.

They are with the boxes of grab and go type snacks and treats here. Next to boxes of bars, rice crispy treats, animal crackers etc. They are definitely near the cereal. This would be our local Safeway. I don't know where they are elsewhere.

• Like 1