Menu

What curriculum are you loving and hating this year?

mommyoffive

The only real "miss" this year is Notgrass America the Beautiful. It is dry. Really dry. And my DS keeps commenting on how badly the bibles verses at the end of the chapters are chosen. Even a 5th grader can tell they're totally forced. 

The real "hit" is Beast Academy. Every once in a while I'll hear ds literally squeal from the other room that "these are SO COOL!" So of course I come running to find out. :)

I'm on the whole pleased with what we have this year. Behold and See science is what we needed, I like how CLE Language Arts is hitting all of the basics in a gentle spirally way with not too much time involved, time we can use to pursue the more beautiful stuff of reading, math, science, history. I'd like to reincorporate AAS back into the mix, but I'm not sure it will happen. But spelling does look like a weakness in the CLE lessons. I like Zaner-Bloser for cursive. MIF for elementary math. Duolingo is still holding us until we can get some real Spanish instruction. IEW class is going well. 

• Like 1

My list will be short and sweet.

I am loving our Memoria Press online latin class. I actually sit and just listen to the teacher because she relaxes me.

I really like our Math-U-See Pre-Algebra. We have far fewer tears.

I picked up Notgrass "From Adam to Us" and I LOVE IT!!!

I don't think we will continue with Analytical Grammar now that we are taking latin online.

Science. - hhhmmm. We just finished Apologia A&P and have no clue what to do next. I think I'll be reading your comments to get some ideas.

Loving -- The big kids both love AOPS, even though they both report it as hard.

History Odyssey Medieval Level 2 for 6th grader, Level 3 for 9th grader -- going well for both of them.

9th grader LOVES and raves about the Great Courses Lectures on Medieval history; I expected her to grudgingly tolerate them but was thrilled that she loves them so much.

SOTW 2 -- 2nd grader reports that he loves SOTW!

2nd grader also loves REAL Science Odyssey Life, and I like it a lot too.

Trail Guide to World Geography coupled with world monuments -- 6th, 2nd, and Kers love this!

Miller-Levine biology is working well for 9th grader.

Didn't hate but wasn't right for us:

Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia and The Way We Work for 6th grader -- says it is okay but he wasn't absorbing enough.  Switched to trying science-based novels, which he seems to like.

History of the Medieval World and study guide for 9th grader -- Actually, the book was fine, but it required too fast a pace for our needs.  By switching to HO Medieval Level 3, she has time for the supplemental biographies and other books I wanted her to read.

I'm loving reading this. Just confirmation that each family is so unique, and what works for one doesn't work for another at all. I think it would be so interesting to also somehow get a sense of each families philosophy of education, unique family dynamics, and especially the teaching/learning style of the main homeschooling parent. It all factors in so much to what works and what doesn't. I have personally found that if a curriculum is a "fit" for me, it will work for my students, but if it is not a good fit for me, even if it is engaging to my students, in the long run it goes by the wayside. Anyway, loves and hates for this year:

LOVES

Wayfarers Curriculum Guide - not a curriculum per se, but more of a menu that coordinates options for me so I don't have to be a genius and finding and scheduling quality classical education books, curriculum, etc, and so far, I LOVE what I am getting out of this. Very easy to pick and choose and customize. Keeps my life simple. I need simple.

Math-U-See - Should have gone with my gut about this when we started homeschooling, but went with the "new, best thing". This program really works for me and my family. So Solid. Simple.

Story of the World - Part of Wayfarers. Simple, solid, engaging, easy to go deeper with activities and additional reading. 

Quark Chronicles - Part of Wayfarers. I love it, the kids beg for it. Great way to tie in different levels of science.

English Lessons Through Literature - Writing and grammar program in one. Simple, doable. Love it.

Handwriting Without Tears - Simple, works.

Dislikes

All About Reading - I like All About Spelling, so I assumed I would like AAR, but it goes too fast for us, the books and much of the material has really small font for a new beginner, and there is not much in the way of supplemental material for a child who needs to take it slower. Not loving this one. It is a great program, but not working for us.

• Like 5

Love -

MP Kindergarten Enrichment - it's not perfect and I find myself dropping or substituting at times, but I probably wouldn't get all this loveliness into my twins lives without this to start from.

IEW printing with letter stories - the kids find the letter illustrations funny and easy to remember. I find the teacher plans helpful.

Catholic Heritage Curricula Who Am I? Religion - the teachers guide has some great ideas, the kids seem to be retaining it well.

Mystery science - really fun format.

MEP Reception - both kids named math as their favorite subject due to this fun colorful curriculum. I do have some doubts about how appropriate it is for them. I think I could have chosen something at a higher level. However, I have Singapore kindergarten B scheduled starting January.

Dislike:

MP first start reading - sadly, this curriculum is not connecting well with my kids. I like it, but my son loathes it and my daughter is ambivalent. She preferred bob books. There is more writing baked in than I expected. I've moved to doing more orally with my son but it took some hard days to come to that realization.

• Like 1

Love:

SOTW, volume 3--my 4th grader is loving history this year!  Finally!  We've used SOTW in the past, but this is the first year that he's said it's his favorite subject!

Poetry Tea Time--started this once each week with special cookies and juice ("tea") and we use my best china.  Two boys and they love it! (They love anything with cookies)

Teaching From Rest--so, this isn't a curriculum, but rather a mindset for our year.  I've started loop scheduling and putting a time limit on how long my youngest works on each subject.  He works slow and could sometimes be doing school until dinner.  He puts in full effort, and outside of a lot of potty breaks during math time, he stays focused.  We added an afternoon quiet time for the first time this year and then they come out of their rooms for "afternoon symposium" as Sarah McKenzie would call it.  Then, they are done for the day and we are all happy! :)

I'm pretty happy with most of what we're using, but I am only looking at 6 weeks at a time. I set up a schedule and rotation and we will reevaluate every six weeks.  I honestly feel so much more relaxed this year...but it's only October!

• Like 2

I'm loving reading this. Just confirmation that each family is so unique, and what works for one doesn't work for another at all. I think it would be so interesting to also somehow get a sense of each families philosophy of education, unique family dynamics, and especially the teaching/learning style of the main homeschooling parent. It all factors in so much to what works and what doesn't. I have personally found that if a curriculum is a "fit" for me, it will work for my students, but if it is not a good fit for me, even if it is engaging to my students, in the long run it goes by the wayside. Anyway, loves and hates for this year:

LOVES

Wayfarers Curriculum Guide - not a curriculum per se, but more of a menu that coordinates options for me so I don't have to be a genius and finding and scheduling quality classical education books, curriculum, etc, and so far, I LOVE what I am getting out of this. Very easy to pick and choose and customize. Keeps my life simple. I need simple.

Math-U-See - Should have gone with my gut about this when we started homeschooling, but went with the "new, best thing". This program really works for me and my family. So Solid. Simple.

Story of the World - Part of Wayfarers. Simple, solid, engaging, easy to go deeper with activities and additional reading. 

Quark Chronicles - Part of Wayfarers. I love it, the kids beg for it. Great way to tie in different levels of science.

English Lessons Through Literature - Writing and grammar program in one. Simple, doable. Love it.

Dislikes

All About Reading - I like All About Spelling, so I assumed I would like AAR, but it goes too fast for us, the books and much of the material has really small font for a new beginner, and there is not much in the way of supplemental material for a child who needs to take it slower. Not loving this one. It is a great program, but not working for us.

Reading Lessons Through Literature is an AAS/AAR alternative written by the creator of Wayfarers and English Lessons Through Literature.

Loves: 

Getting Started with Latin - I'm using it with the older three kids and the short and sweet lessons make for greater retention.

Saxon Math - my oldest has been doing it for a few years. I switched my 11yo, 10yo, and 8yo to it this year from MUS and am so glad I did. I teach better when using Saxon and the kids are understanding it better than anything we have ever used.

Writing and Rhetoric books - I'm still not sure this is as meaty as I'd like, but it is enjoyable and so that means both mom and kids are getting something out of it. I don't like how the books are split up into two parts per year, but that isn't enough to make me drop it.

Zaner-Bloser handwriting - both manuscript and cursive books. Handwriting is a rather dry subject and feels like a chore to my kids, so the colorful books and short lessons make it much easier for them to manage while actually learning.

Hates:

None so far

Not sure about:

Well-Ordered Language- I don't know what it is, but I think the format of the book is what is throwing me off. I'm just so darned confused about how to teach it the way they intended because it really isn't clear to me in the first place. And the chants/songs?? Awful. Really awful. Monotone and slow. We just say the definitions aloud and leave the songs alone. 

Elemental Science - this is the second time I have used it. This year we are using Physics for the Logic Stage for my middle schoolers. Science is a sticky point for us. I'm Christian but do not choose Christian science books. The secular ones are too textbook like and way over my head. Elemental Science is meaty enough that the kids get something out of it and is secular in nature. I do appreciate the weekly plans included as they make my planning so much easier. Also, the ability to buy a kit of supplies. Still, it is rather bland and I'm not sure that the kids are retaining much. I don't want to blame it on the curriculum, though, because I may just need to rearrange things a bit.

• Like 1

I've just been thinking about this.  I cannot say that there is anything we LOVE at the moment.  However, some things that are working well...

Math Mammoth (dd10 gets frustrated with this, but she does well with it when I can get her to stop complaining.  If I thought switching curriculums would stop the complainging, I would consider it, but she is just at that age when complaining is the thing to do, unfortunately.)

Math U See (dd11 is thriving with this.  I think it's the simplistic format and the streamlined page layout that work so well for her.)

Foerster (dd14 really likes this book.  I think it's a smidge on the easy side, but it's getting the job done and is pretty thorough)

DD10&11

History Odyssey Middle Ages (the girls do not care for it, but I like it because it is taking them outside of the comfort zone and really think about topics)

Science Odyssey Physics (the girls enjoy this, but I am getting really annoyed with the experiments... I am just not a science person)

IEW SWI-A (can't say it's a favorite of any of us, but I see improvement so we'll stick with it)

FLL (the girls like it because it's easy.  I just don't think they are quite ready of AG so we'll finish this up and start AG next year)

SpellWell (we all like this one)

DD14

Ă¢â‚¬â€¹Ă¢â‚¬â€¹The Medieval World w/ study guide (total bust! Sorry Susan, but neither of us liked it.  It's too fast and top heavy.  We like to immerse in the time period a bit and learn about the average person not just the dynasties.)

OUP The Medieval Word Series and Pages from History w/ study guides (We started this in middle school and will just continue with some supplemental reading and documentaries.)

Campbell's Biology (this is tough and we're moving slower than I'd like.)

German 2 (GaVS... it's free and it checks the box.  without daily conversational practice, I don't see her really learning a foreign language so this will work)

Shmoop learning guides and quizzes (working great to provide some extra in literature)

Vocabulary from Classical Roots (this is her 4th year using it.  It's a wonderful resource)

Analytical Grammar Review (dd hates this, but for now, she'll continue to use it for reinforcement)

Shmoop Intro to Critical Writing and Reading (she is learning from this and it shows.  she doesn't like writing curriculums period, but she said if she has to do one then this one is better than others we've tried)

I've been using Singapore Math for a long time (as in - the first kid I used it with is in graduate school now) but this is my first year with SingaporeMathLive and I am absolutely smitten. Oh where oh where has this been all my life? It's like having a master math teacher holding my hand every day.

We are loving Science in the Beginning too. I have never (in 23 yrs of homeschooling) enjoyed teaching science, but this is making it truly enjoyable.

• Like 2

Chemistry 101 has been great.  We switched to that in the 1st week, and I love it.  I like the way it's planned out.   We watch the DVD on the first day and then I assign a report.  The next day we go over notes.  Another day we do the labs, and the last day we watch the DVD again while the kids take notes and we take the test.  My 7th grader loves labs and these have been pretty fun for him.  It won't be enough for a whole year but that will give us a chance to switch gears and do something else. 

Jump In has been pretty good too.   We skipped to the expository writing section, and it is transferring over to the science reports.  

Caesar's English is another favorite.  Well, for me it is.  One kid thinks he will never need to know all these words.  We have one more lesson to go in book one and then on to book two! 

I'm not 100% on AOPS Prealgebra for DS but so far he wants to stick with it.  Chalkdust prealgebra is going fine for the other DS. 

• Like 1

LOVES

Dislikes

OMG I could have written this post! I am loving MUS, ELTL, HWOT, SOTW, and wayfarers reading lists. I haven't tried quark or the wayfarers schedule yet, but I'm tempted. Have you looked at RLTL? I haven't used it for teaching reading, but I love it for spelling. I may try it when it's time to teach the baby.

• Like 1

OMG I could have written this post! I am loving MUS, ELTL, HWOT, SOTW, and wayfarers reading lists. I haven't tried quark or the wayfarers schedule yet, but I'm tempted. Have you looked at RLTL? I haven't used it for teaching reading, but I love it for spelling. I may try it when it's time to teach the baby.

I have a sample of RLTL on my computer. I had AAR, and AAS on hand already, but RLTL is really speaking to me. AAR isn't working very well for us at the moment, but I paid a lot of money for it, so I kind of want to at least get one pass through it. It's definitely on my radar, though, especially as it is so much more affordable, and I already love everything else by the company.

• Like 1

Love:

Math Mammoth. The more I understand this approach, the better it goes. I teach every lesson before they work independently. It's clicking so well in both Gr. 2 and 3.

Anatomy study with The Body Book, DK First Human Body Encyclopedia, and The My Body Colouring Book. They love this and it's simple but impressive to put together.

OPGTR. Doing this together on the chalkboard. It's solidifying phonics and helping with spelling.

FLL. Falling in love with this!

Edited by indigoellen@gmail.com

Loving/Liking:

ELTL...working great for both

Beast Academy liking, but I think I need to supplement a bit for a few topics. (4th grader)

Right Start loved B, am liking C but I need to speed it up (2nd grader)

GSWL boys are enjoying it! Very quick and painless so far but they are retaining.

CAP W&R Narrative 2 is going great with my 4th grader.

AAR and AAS work really well for us and I'm seeing so much growth!

Geography through art book (part of Wayfarers) the boys are loving the art projects so far!

Ok:

Wayfarers for history and science. I haven't decided yet. I definitely don't dislike it but I'm not totally sold it's right for us. My oldest loves Quark, my youngest isn't really following the story.

No hates!

I have a sample of RLTL on my computer. I had AAR, and AAS on hand already, but RLTL is really speaking to me. AAR isn't working very well for us at the moment, but I paid a lot of money for it, so I kind of want to at least get one pass through it. It's definitely on my radar, though, especially as it is so much more affordable, and I already love everything else by the company.

Do you find it easy to customize wayfarers? I've poured over the samples and I'm a little overwhelmed by how much is included each day.

• Like 1

Do you find it easy to customize wayfarers? I've poured over the samples and I'm a little overwhelmed by how much is included each day.

I do, but you have to be willing to slash things. For example, we do the Bible readings and the scheduled devotional, but we don't do any of the Bible stories suggested. We do the geography readings and the activities in Geography Through Art, but we don't do the geography curriculum spine at all, and we use the maps provided by Wayfarers on the same day they are scheduled, but we slowly work on the map that corresponds to our Geography novel rather than what is suggested. So, we just make it work for us. I'm a box checker, and I had to learn to also be a "crosser-outter" because Wayfarers is more like a Menu of coordinated suggestions rather than a list you have to accomplish, if that makes sense. For me, it saves lots of time, and it's enjoyable. :)

• Like 1

DD13:

Loves:

Clover Creek Physics

Mr D Math Algebra II

ASL II (CurrClick, Ms Marie)

Psychology (Sterling Academy)

Just ok:  History/Geography (Sterling Academy)

DD11:

Loves:

Winston Grammar

Mr D Math Pre-Algebra

Chocolate and the Rainforest (Online Classes for Groovy Kids....definitely not a fluff class! Awesome class.)

BrainPop

Spelling Workout

Wordly Wise

Explore South America (workbook)

Science by the Grade

Dislikes:

Joy Hakim US history book (A)

Loves

R&S phonics/reading: I made it to almost 30 before finding anything that really explained phonics and spelling rules, there are no doubt other programs out there that do as well but this one is perfect for us.

Saxon Math: DS loves the worksheets, I love the script (even though I don't use it exactly) and materials list for each lesson in the front.

Not as much love:

Connecting with History. Better than Mystery of History by a landslide, but not as user friendly as I'd hoped. It's growing on me though, and part of the problem is my tiny local library so we spend a lot of time waiting for inter-library loan books to come in and it messes up the schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm ready to pitch Apologia's Writers in Residence. It is incredibly thick because it is so wordy -- and that is the same reason we pitched their science programs. It moves too slowly for my son. I'd rather do more direct instruction in writing and get him actually writing compositions more often. 

I'm also not very happy with Zaner Bloser GUM. There's not enough review for my kids to retain the material. I'd wanted a lighter grammar year this year so we could focus more on writing but I feel like we're wasting time with it. 

We're new to homeschooling, as my son is 5 - but we started at the end of June, so we've had a few months to try curriculum. 

My Fathers World K - Did not love. Still using the bible/science/crafts, but heavily supplementing as it was way too light on its own. 

Bible Study Guide For All Ages - Like it a lot! 

Progressive Phonics - LOVE it. 

Explode The Code - It's okay. Was a little too heavy on the writing for my DS at this age. Might try it again later on. 

Singapore Essential Math - LOVE it. 

Life of Fred - Not a good fit. 

A Reason For Handwriting - LOVE it. 

We're new to homeschooling, as my son is 5 - but we started at the end of June, so we've had a few months to try curriculum. 

My Fathers World K - Did not love. Still using the bible/science/crafts, but heavily supplementing as it was way too light on its own. 

Bible Study Guide For All Ages - Like it a lot! 

Progressive Phonics - LOVE it. 

Explode The Code - It's okay. Was a little too heavy on the writing for my DS at this age. Might try it again later on. 

Singapore Essential Math - LOVE it. 

Life of Fred - Not a good fit. 

A Reason For Handwriting - LOVE it. 

We tried Life of Fred when DD was in first grade, and it was not a good fit then. We are going through it now and she is having a lot of fun with it. We do Explode the Code online, which takes all the handwriting out of it. We got it from homeschoolbuyersco-op.org for about $35 per year.

We tried Life of Fred when DD was in first grade, and it was not a good fit then. We are going through it now and she is having a lot of fun with it.

We had a similar experience.  I tried to introduce it at age 5/6, not a good fit at all.  Now that he knows all the math in the first books he's more able to enjoy it and has asked for it to be added to our day.

Hits:

Mystery Science ("Mom, please, please, please can we do science today!?!?!?")

Hoffman Academy

CLE (for my math-challenged child)

Miquon

Evan Moor Beginning Geography

AAS

OPGTR (It's an unexciting but incredibly effective power horse at our house.)

Getting the Job Done:

WWE

FLL

HWT

Miss:

I Speak Latin. (I should have been true to myself and realized that the teaching style of this doesn't mesh with how I like to do things. Very good, just not for me)

Latin in general- We're putting it off for a bit.

History in general- I'm doing great at sort of unschooling this but I'd like to be more regular/formal. That's on me and not any particular program. We watch Liberty's Kids and listen to SOTW in the car. That counts, right?)

Jury's Still Out:

Beast Academy (dd is young for the program and we are taking it really slowly as a supplement. I plan to do it as her primary math as soon as she finishes Miquon, probably in about 9mos)

I'll chime in here and give a few opinions are what we are doing. It's great to read everyone's feelings on so many different things.

Math- Rod & Staff- the jury is still out on this one though it is working well for now.

English- We LOVE EFRTU, but are not loving Building Spelling Skills. LOVE The Exciting World of Creative Writing. My girl is eating that one up. Bridge to the Latin Road- again the jury  is still out on that one.

Spanish- Mango. When we get to it we do really like it.

Science- Exploration Education. Not loving it at all and right now it's getting the job done and that's it.

History, Bible, Geography- Heart of Dakota Revival to Revolution and that's a big win here. The only thing I struggle with is checking off the boxes every day. Sometimes more of a task list than an enjoyment, but we love the books and activities.

That's it for us!

For my 7 year old:

Huge hit: HomeArtStudio. Everyone loves this! Me, 7yo DD and 4yo DS.

Hits:  CLE Math

Phonics Pathways

McGuffey Reader

Copywork (with me hand-writing the model) - rotating Phonics Pathways and McGuffey Reader

Just ok:  Beautiful Feet Early American History - I didn't like the guide but bought it anyway for the schedule and the wonderful books. My daughter likes the books so far but doesn't like coloring the pictures that go along with it. No idea how much retention she has. I've bought the Truthquest guide to possibly pull the lapbooks that go with it and see if that will help us to enjoy it more.

Not so much: Nancy Larson Science 1. I started the year with a plan to read Let's Read and Find Out books once a week throughout the year and possibly do some of the activities in the books. Fun but didn't feel like real science. So I bought Nancy Larson. Now it feels like just putting vocabulary into my daughter's head. We sit down and do 2 lessons in less than half an hour and checkmark the science box. We're almost finished with the current unit and will do 1 more. If it doesn't get better, I will ditch it and go back to the Let's Read and Find Out books. 

For kids ages 9, 8, and 5

LOVE

AAR-just love everything about it

AAS-teacher intensive but works

CLE Math 4 -my oldest needs spiral and this does it

CLE LA 3 and 2-switched from FLL which we all hated. 

Mystery Science (fits us so well)

HATE

Nothing so far!

JURY'S STILL OUT

Winter Promise AS 2

Mother Goose Time preschool

I am pleasantly surprised at the fact that most of our choices are working this year!

5th:

Hits: 

Saxon 54 2nd Ed. Old, cheap, and works better than anything we've tried so far for math! I do cut out the daily drills and mental math exercises at the top of each lesson

Spectrum LA Grade 5 workbook - again, cheap and easy. I am not a fan of some of the instructions, but it works. 

Lifepac Grade 5 History - Cheap {I got on amazon for half the cost}, and it works. It covers what we need and is broken up into nice little chunks. Is it enough on it's ok for a non-history kid? NO. But for my history buff {Thanks American Girl!} dd it works well and we have had some excellent conversations spun off from it. 

Misses:

The government workbook. Just NO. Badly written, without instructions in places, and assignments that made NO sense. 

The jury is still out on Apologia Human Anatomy. I am not a huge fan, but it works sorta. 

I'll play!

HITS:

History: DD13 is loving Hakim's History of US on audio (through Library/One Click Digital).  We combine this with Zinn and Read Like a Historian. Perfect.

English: Grammar Revolution.  She doesn't love it, but she is learning so, so much!

MCT - Paragraph Town, Caesar's English and Practice Town.  LOVE!  We will continue with Essay Voyage and Writing in Literature.

Sentence a Day (free pdf)

Use it or Lose It!  Daily Language Practice (free; can't stand the font though)

Math Minutes: Yowza.  Exactly what she needed to supplement AoPS.

Big History Project

Spanish: Madrigals, First Step in Espanol, Duolingo, Coffee Break Spanish

CNN Student News: Always a hit.

Geography:  She spends 15 mins a day using Sheperd's Software and finding fun youtube videos.  Since taking this subject over and doing it her way, retention has been great.  She also has a globe in hand when watching Student News and listening to Hakim.

We are having a great year!

Not sure whether to stick with AoPS for Algebra or use Jacobs or Foerster's.  AoPS is awesome; she likes it.  But, she moves slowly with it.

I just ordered Math and Language Review workbooks through Simple Solutions.  I have high hopes.

MISSES:  Anything outsourced!  She didn't like Bravewriter or History at our House or Homeschool Spanish Academy.  

Edited by lisabees
  • Like 1

Loves:

SOTW: We are old for this series, but are using it to start the day and wake our brains. No pressure, no homework, no worries. Just a great platform for discovery and discussion; what a way to start the day. We also read Human Odyssey and Journey Through Time at times, and we like both of those as well. 

RSO Bio 2: We all hate science, but dare I say I love this program. Kids *like* it, which is a win in my book. It gets done (though it does take longer than it says it will...). 

Hakim Condensed US History, with K-12 study guides: Love both of these. Mostly well written and sometimes moves too slow for our tastes, but thorough and solid. 

IEW US History: Used sporadically with Hakim. Liking this because it's easy in terms of ready-made history assignments. We did not finish SWI-B (see below) but are using this anyway. 

Mosdos: My favorite. Unfortunately, literature usually takes the back burner to our core subjects, but this is by far my most favorite program.

DuoLingo: Kids love it and it gets done. Can't say it's comprehensive, but it does get done daily, without complaint. Also liking Spanish is Fun and Spanish for Children, but we are not consistent enough with those yet. 

Fix It: The sentences / stories are only so-so in my opinion, but the method is fantastic and it is fun to do. Kids are learning from it, so full steam ahead.

Killgallon: LOVE this / these. We combine Paragraphs and Grammar. It often feels like Mad Libs to us, but teaches style very well. I don't think of it as teaching grammar AT ALL, but rather as a stylistic tool. 

Hake Writing: We use the slim book for academic writing. Very straight-forward and no-nonsense. I hate flowery writing programs and this is definitely not that. Simple directions and explanations, though we generally pick different topics to write about. 

Take 5: Super fun -- and intelligent -- daily journal assignments. Best I've seen. 

826: Fantastic. Super fun and wonderfully creative writing assignments. We LOVE all of these books. We do one a week for our creative writing workshop. 

Story of Science: Just wish there were more hours in the day. This often gets cut, but we love it whenever we get back to it (once a week if we are lucky). We only read and discuss this; we don't do any of the work. 

Math Mammoth: Mom loves this program but kids are lukewarm. But then again, they are lukewarm to math, so...

Teaching Textbooks: Not my dream program, but for my geeky child, who adores computers and therefore tolerates any content that is presented by a computer, this is a nice fit. 

In Between:

Cover Story: We had high hopes for this program, but we are just less than halfway through and I am disappointed with the amount of writing it actually asks the students to do. The content is fine and the idea is fantastic. But so much talking about writing and so little actual writing... Our house is divided; one child gave up and the other has stuck with it, but I think is about to throw in the towel. 

Hates:

WWE/WWS: I just don't get it. We really, really, really tried to like this. I love the selections, but I disagree with the approach. I think students need to develop their own voice first, then apply that voice to the world. WWE/WWS seemed very mechanical, and while the selections were superb and even challenging, the repetitive assignments felt lackluster. Kids started not to like writing, which was a warning flag to me. It's not that it was too hard; it was just too formulaic. 

Word Roots: Mom loves this program but the kiddos HATED it. Oh well. Kids read so much we don't normally do vocab. 

IEW SWI-B: Just shoot me now. Program is fine, but it bored us to tears. Takes waaaaay too long to get going, and IMHO, misses the mark on exciting the kids to write. Mine love to write, so the problem is reining them in. We just didn't have the patience for this one. 

Holt Earth Science and Holt Life Science: Dry. Boring. Tears -- from all of us. We lasted only three weeks. So glad we switched to RSO; it is much more accessible and even practical. 

Beast Academy: Another miss for us. My kids don't like math and are always looking for the quickest way to be done. They were annoyed that I was trying to "sneak" math in with BA. They felt it made the whole process longer than it needed to be.

#### 

PS, Kids are 11 and 12 / 6th and 7th

Edited by dori123
  • Like 1

Loves:

SOTW: We are old for this series, but are using it to start the day and wake our brains. No pressure, no homework, no worries. Just a great platform for discovery and discussion; what a way to start the day. We also read Human Odyssey and Journey Through Time at times, and we like both of those as well. 

RSO Bio 2: We all hate science, but dare I say I love this program. Kids *like* it, which is a win in my book. It gets done (though it does take longer than it says it will...). 

Hakim Condensed US History, with K-12 study guides: Love both of these. Mostly well written and sometimes moves too slow for our tastes, but thorough and solid. 

IEW US History: Used sporadically with Hakim. Liking this because it's easy in terms of ready-made history assignments. We did not finish SWI-B (see below) but are using this anyway. 

Mosdos: My favorite. Unfortunately, literature usually takes the back burner to our core subjects, but this is by far my most favorite program.

DuoLingo: Kids love it and it gets done. Can't say it's comprehensive, but it does get done daily, without complaint. Also liking Spanish is Fun and Spanish for Children, but we are not consistent enough with those yet. 

Fix It: The sentences / stories are only so-so in my opinion, but the method is fantastic and it is fun to do. Kids are learning from it, so full steam ahead.

Killgallon: LOVE this / these. We combine Paragraphs and Grammar. It often feels like Mad Libs to us, but teaches style very well. I don't think of it as teaching grammar AT ALL, but rather as a stylistic tool. 

Hake Writing: We use the slim book for academic writing. Very straight-forward and no-nonsense. I hate flowery writing programs and this is definitely not that. Simple directions and explanations, though we generally pick different topics to write about. 

Take 5: Super fun -- and intelligent -- daily journal assignments. Best I've seen. 

826: Fantastic. Super fun and wonderfully creative writing assignments. We LOVE all of these books. We do one a week for our creative writing workshop. 

Story of Science: Just wish there were more hours in the day. This often gets cut, but we love it whenever we get back to it (once a week if we are lucky). We only read and discuss this; we don't do any of the work. 

Math Mammoth: Mom loves this program but kids are lukewarm. But then again, they are lukewarm to math, so...

Teaching Textbooks: Not my dream program, but for my geeky child, who adores computers and therefore tolerates any content that is presented by a computer, this is a nice fit. 

In Between:

Cover Story: We had high hopes for this program, but we are just less than halfway through and I am disappointed with the amount of writing it actually asks the students to do. The content is fine and the idea is fantastic. But so much talking about writing and so little actual writing... Our house is divided; one child gave up and the other has stuck with it, but I think is about to throw in the towel. 

Hates:

WWE/WWS: I just don't get it. We really, really, really tried to like this. I love the selections, but I disagree with the approach. I think students need to develop their own voice first, then apply that voice to the world. WWE/WWS seemed very mechanical, and while the selections were superb and even challenging, the repetitive assignments felt lackluster. Kids started not to like writing, which was a warning flag to me. It's not that it was too hard; it was just too formulaic. 

Word Roots: Mom loves this program but the kiddos HATED it. Oh well. Kids read so much we don't normally do vocab. 

IEW SWI-B: Just shoot me now. Program is fine, but it bored us to tears. Takes waaaaay too long to get going, and IMHO, misses the mark on exciting the kids to write. Mine love to write, so the problem is reining them in. We just didn't have the patience for this one. 

Holt Earth Science and Holt Life Science: Dry. Boring. Tears -- from all of us. We lasted only three weeks. So glad we switched to RSO; it is much more accessible and even practical. 

Beast Academy: Another miss for us. My kids don't like math and are always looking for the quickest way to be done. They were annoyed that I was trying to "sneak" math in with BA. They felt it made the whole process longer than it needed to be.

#### 

Just wondering how old your kids are

We like many resources this year....WWE, Abeka phonics and spelling, Pentime cursive, Shurley English, MLFLE, VP OTAE (on our own), Apologia astronomy.

The only thing I am on the fence about is A Child's Geography Explore the Holy Land. I so wanted to love it, but it is just too much for littles. However, I don't absolutely hate it either. I read through the book and if there is anything valuable that adds to our VP OTAE lesson, then I include it. Otherwise, it sits on the shelf.

LOVE:

Math Mammoth. :o We have had this for FOUR years, and I've previously counted it as my biggest waste of money/homeschool flop. It finally filled a need this year and it's been just right.

CHOW - worked for us last year and we love it again this year.

Mosdos - painless, quick. We don't do any written work; DD reads and we discuss. Done.

MEH:

Pentime - we used this for a few years and I've finally reached a point where I think it's unnecessary. We'll be switching to incorporating penmanship into other subjects.

Following up and adding to my previous comments up thread:

Miss (hate is too strong):

Analytical Grammar. Dropped for 6th. Will keep for 8th. I can't explain this yet but it isn't clicking for me. Not enough explanation? So expensive.

America the Beautiful- lovely text and interesting topics but it lacks flow. Too much tedium for my taste. Maps are too easy. My 6th grader who dislikes school tells me that the text is too detailed but the work is way too simplistic. SO SAD. I was excited to use this and sure it would work well for us. I don't know what I'll do.

• Like 1

I don't know if I can say love or hate for anything necessarily.

Working well: Simply Charlotte Mason, Modern History...but it is heavily tweaked and more of a booklist for us.

R&S English works for us.  It just does, no matter how often I try to travel down another path.

Pentime handwriting.  Tried and true for us.

CLE math in elementary. 

Dictation Day by Day (The Modern Speller)  Technically, I think I could say I'm loving this.  We use it for copywork and dictation/spelling.

Our collection of "book basket" items.  I love our variety and simplicity this year.

DD 13 has been loving Uncle Eric books and The Thinking Toolbox as well as Genevieve Foster (BF).  She also likes her homemade living science course from my sig.

DD 11 is doing really well with a combo. of units from Science in the Beginning mixed with living books.  Makers of the Americas has been a good fit for her.

DS 9 isn't fighting me about school, so I'd say whatever we are doing is working. :)

DD 6 adores being in "real school" so same for her. :)

Sadly, I wanted to adore Cottage Press.  I still think it's wonderful, but it's on the shelf for now.  I had to go back to "tried and true".  It was my ideal though, and I wish it could have been our magic fix like I thought it would be. 

• Like 3

Is that the popular phonics primer you're talking about?   I hated it too.  So I got "The Reading Lesson" and we really loved it.  Even my 4 yr old DD reads from it. 

I don't follow Saxon Math to the letter (and the meeting book is unnecessary I think), but some of the methods for teaching concepts are brilliant!   Like how it teaches regrouping with dimes and pennies instead of just telling the child, "Okay you cross over this number and put a 1 over here" or something like that.  The rest of the time, I look over the lesson and follow my instinct.  I generally know how to teach a concept (based on my child's own understanding and preferences).  Glad you find Singaporean Math good though. 

Love

Singapore Math (6) "Just right" math for our family

Writing and Rhetoric (6) I love this curriculum 

SOTW (6) My son is reading and narrating vol. 4 independently and he adores it

The Reading Lesson (K) Great fit for my daughter

Hate

Teach your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons (K) utilitarian and scripted. No soul. Yuck.

Saxon 1 (K) just because I can barely teach with scripted lessons

Love-Hate

Apologia Science (K&6) Surprised at how much I love the book...but not the notebooking journal. I just don't utilize it enough to justify the cost

Mystery of History (K&6) On the fence about this one. I really want to use this as a family curriculum, but I have to do a lot of work to make it work with my littlest learner.

Success: 

Saxon Math (but I don't follow it to the letter)

First Language Lessons

Spelling Workout A and B (unnecessary if your child is good at spelling, but it's good for additional writing and reading practice; plus it teaches a child to recognize the sounds of the letters)

Usborne First Book of Nature (GREAT intro to biology)

McGuffey Eclectic Readers

Fail:

Story of the World (just can't get DS interested in it)

Mixed:

Usborne history books (shorter readings and bright pictures help retain child's interest)

Writing with Ease (great course but I make own copywork from what we read)

Also it's not a curriculum but I do like the "Big First Grade Workbook."  I know some people shun workbooks but this isn't the overly easy stuff like "Brain Quest."  I like it because it's got worksheets you can really use: math facts, spelling, grammar, reading comprehension, etc.

Edited by bluejay

Why didn't it work? I've been eyeing it.

It wasn't independent at all. Also, part of the reason I was drawn to it was the all-in-one factor in order to avoid too many parts and pieces. But ultimately it had just as many parts and pieces. We ended up cutting so many things out that I can't justify the cost. Overall I realized that I just need to stick with what is familiar to me for things to go smoothly teaching 5 kids.

But I still think it is a beautiful, excellent program if you use it as written. I wish I could have adapted to it more quickly.

• Like 1

Biggest hits:

-I abandoned the younger guides of HOD for my youngest two and put them together in Science in the Beginning (absolutely love this - I'm learning science I never knew) with SOTW Ancients (loosely following Biblioplan) and it has been a hit for them and for me.

-Continuing Fix-It Grammar for the older boys. It just keeps getting better.

- Climbing to Good English for the younger two has been a great fit. My 8yods even likes the dictionary respellings. He sees them as a secret code he gets to crack!

-Older kids are all doing HOD Guides and it's going well with the modifications I've made. They like it, I like it, we're all happy.

- Surprise big hit has been Getting Started with Spanish for my oldest still at home. I was expecting that to go badly as he has always hated any attempts at foreign language but this one is working. He'll only get a 1/2 credit this year but that's ok for now.

Fails:

- Surprised that I'm enjoying so much that I dropped HOD's Bigger for my 8yods and LHFHG for my 7yodd. It worked well for my older kids but I just couldn't do it again! Combining the younger two has been the best move I've made in a long time even though I feel guilty because I've been such a big defender of HOD over the years. Combining the younger two was just too tempting for me this year! In fact, I've been trying to talk my 11 yods into joining us but he's resisting so he'll continue HOD this year.

Every year I can't resist asking for details on your modifications.Ă°Å¸ËœÅ  I constantly keep HOD on the back burner as a possibility for the future regardless of how much I protest against it in other threads.Ă°Å¸ËœÅ  I may start a new thread.
  • Like 1

Hits:

Thinkwell Geometry -- dd likes the videos.  She's not acing the tests, but never complains about doing math (supplemented with Holt textbook)

Mystery of History -- dd reads independently, and there is time for her to read library books (which she loves), but I still get the feedback on how she is doing.  (We may need to adjust some written expectations, though.)  I love that it is very flexible...even offered to pull in the older sister (but she declined.)

Grammar for Middle School -- I tried this with dd when she was in 5th or 6th, and it was a flop, but she likes it in 9th!!

The Elements (Ellen McHenry) -- dd loves!  She is able to do this independently (except when she needs someone to play a game with her.)

TBD:

Writers in Residence -- it is getting done, but not liked.  However its very easy to use.

Beast Academy -- dd is doing fine with it, but says she'd rather have an easier program (She is VERY good at math, but doesn't particularly like doing it.)  She complains about it, but at the same time I can't imagine putting her in an easier program because it would take her 5 minutes and she'd quickly become bored.

Notgrass Government -- very dry on a topic dd is not interested in, but she is determined to get through it.  (We've made some adjustments, and so far its ok.)

Spanish for Children -- not liked by either child, but continuing because too much invested.  Its getting done.

Building Thinking Skills -- dd doesn't usually like it, but it gets done. (Sometimes its very easy, then she likes it.)

CLE Home Economics -- It usually gets done.  Now that it is cooking, she seems to like it more.

Misses:

Notgrass Uncle Sam and You -- too dry on a topic dd did not really want to study, we're shelving to try again when she is older

Lightning Lit Amer Mid-Late -- too hard for my 9th grader, mostly ditched

Use It Don't Lose It -- dd begged to drop as she didn't really feel it was of any benefit to her (she felt it was just busywork, and nothing she would retain.)

American Chemical Society Chemistry curriculum -- dd hated the scripted feel/questions (may have had something to do with the fact that 15yo was trying to teach it.)  Still trying to decide if I will replace it, come back to it, or just shorten dd's science program this year.  For now its been put on hold.

American Chemical Society Chemistry curriculum -- dd hated the scripted feel/questions (may have had something to do with the fact that 15yo was trying to teach it.)  Still trying to decide if I will replace it, come back to it, or just shorten dd's science program this year.  For now its been put on hold.

Are you using the Middle School Chemistry product or Inquiry in Action?

LOVE:

BJU Life Science 7

Writing & Rhetoric

Old Western Culture: The Greeks

VideoText Algebra

Discovery of Deduction

guitar lessons

LIKE/MEH:

Omnibus I (We added Old Western Culture: The Greeks to our history/literature/theology studies.)

Latin Alive! 1

MP Geography III (He likes it much better than Geography I or II.)

R&S English 9

HATE:

Word Wealth Junior (I need to find something else for vocabulary; we are ditching WWJ.)

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using Singapore Math for a long time (as in - the first kid I used it with is in graduate school now) but this is my first year with SingaporeMathLive and I am absolutely smitten. Oh where oh where has this been all my life? It's like having a master math teacher holding my hand every day.

Thank you so so so much for this! It's just what I'm looking for. *all the heart eyes*