Menu

What curriculum are you loving and hating this year?

mommyoffive

So far (there is a lot we haven't started yet, like history and science, due to September being so busy):

Loving ...

Saxon (for oldest two)

Miquon (for 2nd grader)

Rod and Staff English

Spelling Workout

Writing With Ease workbooks, modified to meet individual goals

Also highly appreciating:

DuoLingo

Tux Typing

Edited by SGPS

?????

Telling God's Story (Just started, so far, I quite like it, similar to SOTW)

Language Lessons through Australian History (just begun, not sure if I like it, it started anxiety in my eldest, we'll give it a chance and see how we go, but relaxed-ly)

Winterpromise Syllables to Sentences (waiting for it to arrive)

Wonderland of Nature - Nuri Mass (planning to start, but I misplaced where I put the book LOL)

Kids Cook Real Food (Only just started, but so far, we love it)

Winterpromise Children around the World (Only begun this today, but so far so good :) )

Atelier (Haven't started this yet)

Can you tell me about Language Lessons Through Australian History please. I am about to buy it but really worried it will not be a good fit here (but there is no other real option I can find)

I'll play!

DS 9 (grade 5)

Love:

G3 scratch workshop

Uzinggo Biology

McHenry Cells

Biology Coloring book

Hate:

American Odyssey - Too dry for DS, he needs a more narrative approach. I ordered Hakim US history, hopefully he likes that better.

Not sure yet:

AoPS Pre-A - I think this is going to be a love, but we have some growing pains.

DD & DS 6 (first grade)

Love:

Miquon

ZB Italics

TWTM grammar stage approach to science with notebooking

BW Jot it Down

Meh:

The American Story - I think I need to add in some activities/projects

American Odyssey is high school level. A History of US is much better for 5th grade. Ds 11 is doing America the Beautiful, a right level for him. Ds13 is doing CLE 8th grade Changing Frontiers, which has lots of worksheet writing for each lesson.

American Odyssey is high school level. A History of US is much better for 5th grade. Ds 11 is doing America the Beautiful, a right level for him. Ds13 is doing CLE 8th grade Changing Frontiers, which has lots of worksheet writing for each lesson.

Yes I know, he's an accelerated learner. :) He's capable of that level, but his science me math are ramping up as well so I decided to just do something less challenging and hopefully more engaging.

Loving:

• Math-U-See
  • Writing with Ease
  • Lively Latin
  • All About Spelling
  • All the Brave Writer/Writer's Jungle stuff I've been weaving into our language arts (my own little mish-mash). (And also, all of Julie Bogart's encouraging videos!)
  • Creativebug.com for art. 
  • I don't love First Language Lessons the way I love the others, but I do really like it because it's very clear and it gets the job done (But we do skip around in that, since there is overlap with WWE.)

I make up my own history and science. There's actually nothing I hate this year (yay!) because after a few years of experimenting, I know what we like and we use only that. I will say we tried Spelling Workout in the past and we hated it. That's probably the only curriculum we've used that I've truly disliked. (But I know it works well for some.) 

• Like 1

Haven't used some of our resources for long yet so I'll share where we're at so far:

LOVE:

CLE Math, LA, Reading

Phonics Pathways

Treasured Conversations & WWE3

Science resources 

Morning Time (Simply Charlotte Mason resources are excellent!)

Ember Falls  :001_wub:

Student Logbooks (simple, effective, 3 oldest use them)

Bite Size Theology

LIKE so far (haven't used for long enough to say love):

Notgrass America the Beautiful

MFW First Grade (modified; he's a reader so I am using it for Bible, phonics/spelling, writing)

On-line writing classes (There hasn't been a lot of output yet though I expect things to pick up now that we're finishing up week 2. The teachers have been patient in helping the students learn the on-line course format and we're about through the learning curve.)

Just Started but Making Me Nervous:

Analytical Grammar 

Edited by abrightmom
  • Like 2

DD 11 loves everything :-)

AOPS Algebra

MCT Word within the Word 1, Magic Lens 1

Cover Story

Science - read from a large amount of books we own, notebook, and lots of experiments

DS 13 likes everything

Exploration Education Advanced (loves this)

Teaching textbooks Algebra 2 - he actually likes math again now

MCT Word within the Word 1, Magic Lens 1

Memoria Press poetry and short stories - continuing from last year

Cover Story (based on history)

History - read, watch documentaries - he would do this all day long 

Loves Hillsdale College Athens and Sparta course

Can you tell me about Language Lessons Through Australian History please. I am about to buy it but really worried it will not be a good fit here (but there is no other real option I can find)

I think it pretty much suits anyone who likes classical or formal CM style curricula. My eldest is just sensitive and gets frustrated easily/has anxiety. The book you read is pretty okay (our Australian Story), and it has questions, cut and pastes, dictionary work/alphabetising, additional book suggestions for the history/reading side, all the usual cm stuff (copywork, dictation, narration), it has little Picture Studies, Art/Lit/Poetry Study, Researching etc. I do like that its Australian and works through Australian history and is CM.

In my personal opinion, the age its correlated to is way off (the first book is stated as 6 to 8, and I'm using with my dyslexic 10-11yo). But this is just my opinion, if you were coming from a rigorous CM or classical view, its probably on target. I, myself, have already presented most of the info to my daughter over the years probably between the ages suggested (6-8), just in different formations (WTMs LA, Growing with Grammar, word games, Queen Homeschool materials), I think just the format and way its presented would better suit my child at her current age as a review and to work on areas she does badly at. I use more games and hands on stuff early on, so my daughters only starting to do the more paperwork based stuff now.

I'm happy to answer any questions you have about it, for us, I think its something we'll stick with, we just alternate days, so she doesn't get overwhelmed.

• Like 1

I think it pretty much suits anyone who likes classical or formal CM style curricula. My eldest is just sensitive and gets frustrated easily/has anxiety. The book you read is pretty okay (our Australian Story), and it has questions, cut and pastes, dictionary work/alphabetising, additional book suggestions for the history/reading side, all the usual cm stuff (copywork, dictation, narration), it has little Picture Studies, Art/Lit/Poetry Study, Researching etc. I do like that its Australian and works through Australian history and is CM.

In my personal opinion, the age its correlated to is way off (the first book is stated as 6 to 8, and I'm using with my dyslexic 10-11yo). But this is just my opinion, if you were coming from a rigorous CM or classical view, its probably on target. I, myself, have already presented most of the info to my daughter over the years probably between the ages suggested (6-8), just in different formations (WTMs LA, Growing with Grammar, word games, Queen Homeschool materials), I think just the format and way its presented would better suit my child at her current age as a review and to work on areas she does badly at. I use more games and hands on stuff early on, so my daughters only starting to do the more paperwork based stuff now.

I'm happy to answer any questions you have about it, for us, I think its something we'll stick with, we just alternate days, so she doesn't get overwhelmed.

Thanks heaps, I really appreciate your response :)

I am looking at doing book 2 with my 8 and 10 yo's, both are on target in terms of LA so hopefully it will be the right level for them, I have gone through the samples and it looks about right i think.

We're Loving:

• Right Start - Just finished A and started on B a few days ago
  • Explode the Code - We weren't really sure where to go after she was able to read pretty well. It can be more independent which is a nice break from all of our other parent intensive stuff. 
  • BFSU - DD is kind of neutral, but Mom and Dad like it. 
  • Mystery Science - This one is a big hit with DD. It's a special thing that Dad (me) and her do together on the weekends. 
  • Science Journal - Just a composition notebook we write fill in the blank style summaries of whatever we talk about in BFSU or the Mystery Science for the week.
  • Bob Books - She's gone past these now in difficulty, but she enjoys pulling them out and reading them anyways. 
  • Core Knowledge what your X grader should know series - This just helps us keep track with history type stuff which we hodge podge together with library books. 

We don't do anything we hate, but DD has grown kind of neutral on HWOT. She loved the first book, but I think the novelty wore off for the second book since there isn't anything new and she knows how to write what she wants now. She doesn't dislike it, but isn't eager to do copy work like she was when she was first learning to write. 

• Like 2

There's nothing we really hate. Things are going well, actually! But these are what we have really been enjoying:

Apologia Swimming Things... all four kids are doing it together, it's working great! Science is our favorite subject!

Notgrass "From Adam to Us". My 7th grader is doing this and he really enjoys history this year!

We're not using a ton of 'curriculum' but we're loving Jousting Armadillos! (though we're burning through it way fast)... I think Elementary Greek isn't challenging enough but don't feel like ramping that up. Had to ramp up science plans a lot to get to a decent amount of coverage. We mostly really like Writing With Skill.

Edited by theelfqueen

2nd grade DS, Kindergarten DD, toddler DD.

LOVES:

- RightStart

- Logic of English Foundations (Kindergarten DD)

- Brave Writer lifestyle, and Jot it Down! and Quiver

- art & nature class at museum (an 8-week class through October)

- Lots of unschooly science

- Scratch

- ALL OF THE FREE TIME and space for my kids to think, create, play, explore and just BE. 

LIKE:

- Logic of English Essentials (It might turn to a love, but I feel like I need more time with it to be sure)

- Reading books pulled from history booklists (using TruthQuest and All Through the Ages). My kid is only so-so on interest in history. Could be a maturity thing, could be just particular subject matter.

DUMPED:

- All About Spelling and All About Reading. Ditched in favor of Logic of English Foundations for Ker, and LoE Essentials for 2nd grader

JUST PLAIN NOT REALLY GETTING DONE RIGHT NOW:

- BFSU

- Hoffman Academy

- Fine arts loop (I'm ok with that since we are getting plenty with our class. I suspect once that ends, we'll add the loop back)

- Any sort of resemblance to the "routine" I crafted before we started the year. :lol: It is looking a bit free-form at the moment.  :mellow:

New love:

Beyond the Code books

Continuing loves from last year:

1) English from the Roots Up. The way we use it is so easy, gets done, and we've had great retention so far and good application to new, unknown words.

2) Memoria Press Enrichment guide and read alouds

I'm not sure if I'd use the word hate, but we are using BJU math for the second year for oldest DS, and I really don't like the TM. I'm more used to it now, but still don't like it!

ETA: Reading other posts, I remembered a new love for this year. My DS11 is using Tiner's Exploring the History of Medicine, with MP's Suuplemental Questions and it's going great! One of our first successes with independent work. Woo-hoo! He reads the chapter, answers the questions at the end of the chapter and in the workbook, then we discuss it together.

Edited by mmasc
  • Like 2

Thankfully, everything we're doing is at least a "like".

LOVE

Morning Time - Poetry, Theology, Fables, Artist Study, Winnie-the-Pooh, The Hobbit

RightStart B - second time through - still crazy good!

RightStart D - almost switched to MM after Level C, but so far this level has rekindled my RS love

W & R Fable - an excellent follow-up to WWE2 (which is solid but uninspiring). DD absolutely loves it.

Getting Started with Latin - so easy to implement and mostly independent for DD9

SOTW - as awesome as ever

Science in the Beginning - fun, engaging, easy to use, cross-disciplinary. A perfect fit for this reluctant BFSU dropout.

How to Teach Spelling - solid instruction, but haven't hit my stride yet. I need to spend a bit more time on prep, since it's not completely open-and-go.

FLL3 - working well, but nothing exciting. SO glad I didn't waste my time with the first two levels (which I own but didn't really use because they're sooooo repetitive)

Pentime - gets the job done

OPGTR - third time around - no-frills, gets it done

• Like 1

Haven't used some of our resources for long yet so I'll share where we're at so far:

LOVE:

CLE Math, LA, Reading

Phonics Pathways

Treasured Conversations & WWE3

Science resources

Morning Time (Simply Charlotte Mason resources are excellent!)

Ember Falls :001_wub:

Student Logbooks (simple, effective, 3 oldest use them)

Bite Size Theology

LIKE so far (haven't used for long enough to say love):

MFW First Grade (modified; he's a reader so I am using it for Bible, phonics/spelling, writing)

On-line writing classes (There hasn't been a lot of output yet though I expect things to pick up now that we're finishing up week 2. The teachers have been patient in helping the students learn the on-line course format and we're about through the learning curve.)

Just Started but Making Me Nervous:

Analytical Grammar

We're loving Ember Falls too!! My Ds is upset that I snuck off and finished the book, lol

• Like 1

Loving-

Mapping the world through art, we are becoming big Ellen Mchenry fans, Elemenents was awesome last year also.

Expedition Earth - I'm really tweaking this amd I'm using it as a cultural study but my kids love it.

Famous Men of the Middle Ages - All of this series has been a hit here

Right Start Kinder - I was overwhelmed with all of the pieces and while I still don't love needing so many items for one lesson it has been amazing for my son who is not interested in sitting and doing work.

Not loving

Latin Alive - we will continue but I have not liked the way CAP organizes their curriculum.

Grammar of Poetry - There's nothing really wrong with it just seems more like a suppliment. Very light IMO but my girls like it.

I would be interested to hear how you use this.

Sure! Each week on Monday, I introduce two new roots. Right now we are still in the Greek roots (continued from last year, but almost finished with them). I write the root on the board and DS copies it onto the blank side of a 4x6 notecard and adds a green border (indicating Greek). On the other side, he adds the definition on the top line. Then I choose 2-3 of the English derivatives that I think are most common or interesting and he writes them (and the definitions) on the notecard.

To 'warm up' and start the root lesson, I call out all of the roots we've learned so far, and they call out its meaning.

I've been really happy with this method. My younger two have memorized quite a few from the repetition, and my oldest (11) is often able to apply what he has learned to new words.

Once we finish the Greek roots, we will move on to the Latin and trace the cards in red to differentiate.

I think this year I'll try adding some hard to remember roots into Quizlet, but for now the above is how we do it. It takes less than 15-20 minutes and gets done!

ETA: Sometimes if it's a really common root, once I put it on the board I'll ask them if they can think of any words that sound like the root and then try to figure out what it means. They like this part, and also quizzing Dad to try and stump him later. :)

Edited by mmasc
  • Like 4

Love

Artistic Pursuits. Art seems so easy to improvise, but this program actually challenges my art lover and gives historical context .

Mystery Science. Meatier than I expected .

So-so:

Build Your library. I actually love the content but it is a whole lot of time daily , and doesn't cover and of the three Rs.

Disappointment : Bravewriter. It's so encouraging . It's a way of life . But it is a whole lot of warm fuzzy fluff, really. I have Jot It Down and its 50% you can do it, language is wonderful yadda yadda and some project ideas which - some are good, some are 5 pages on 'make a pretty box and think about how delightful mail is' .

Edited by poppy
  • Like 4

I love teaching MCT Grammar Island for the second time--I like knowing what the next couple of levels cover so that I am not guessing about mechanics and other things I want to address. I can just roll it in.

Older DS is loving Notgrass From Adam to Us. 

Singapore is going well, as always for us.

I am seriously disappointed in the format (but not content) of Apologia Flying Creatures. For a relatively pricey curriculum, it's a disorganized mess. The notebooking is not a good fit for us, and I am having to work hard to make that part work. However, we're doing it with friends, and that's okay. It will work out. It's just not worth the hassle to me--if I had known how much I would end up modifying the notebooking, I could have spent my summer typing up reading/outlining guides for my kids to do instead.

Love Biblioplan, hate Biblioplan.  I do like the schedule with story of the world scheduled with Monks and Mystics and Trial or Triumph along with a selection of books for literature where we can choose what we have or what would interest the particular child.   The schedule includes levels for each of my kids that are using it.  I really really don't like the companion.  It's VERY choppy and not even choppy like a textbook or Usborne book.  It's like a bunch of mini articles cut and pasted together. So, it's a half win for us.  

Love-

Veritas Press Self-Paced modern history. This is our last year using this. It's been a great learning tool for my dyslexic daughter. We'll be ready for some more meat next year.

Tiner's The World of Chemistry. It's the only science book that we've really used so far. My daughter is reading it on her own and answering the review questions. This is a huge leap in our homeschool. We discuss each chapter and go over mistakes. When she finishes this, we'll dig into more "fun" chemistry.

Easy Grammar. For all the subjects that my daughter struggles with, it's nice to have a git er done program that she finds easy!

Apples and Pears. We are in book C and continue to see steady improvement.

Ok-

CLE math. It gets done and I think the constant repetition is helping. We had to go back several grade levels, but we're getting through a book every 2 weeks or so.

Hate-

Bible Study Guide for all Ages. We both dread bible time, so it's time to move to something else. Don't know what yet.

• Like 1

It's kind of early in the year, but so far:

Love:

Spelling You See (DD's spelling is finally starting to improve)

Drawing Textbook

English Lessons Through Literature (using as a supplement, started last year. I've really seen DD's skills grow with this book)

Build Your Library 8th grade (history of science)

Don't hate, but not living up to expectations:

TabletClass Algebra (we'll give it some more time, but I may have to look for something else)

Not sure yet:

WP LA 7

Ecoutez! Parlez!

Very pleased so far with:

Derek Owens Physical Science

Lost Tools of Writing

Introductory Logic by Nance

I have two reasons for liking all three: The are well-structured so that teaching is either taken care of or easy for me to implement, and my student is growing in her thinking in all three.

Fifth grade:

Who is God series:  LOVE

Beast Academy:  LOVE

Mind Benders:  Big hit

Maps, Charts and Graphs:  Love

RS4K:  mixed...I like it because it's doable for me and gets done, but the kids have mixed feelings on the experiments so far.  

MCT Town Level:  LOVE

CAP Writing and Rhetoric:  LOVE

I thought I should supplement some WWS lessons on outlining, and I am realizing that would be overkill.  Both of these programs go deeper than I thought, especially the Town level of writing and Caesar's English writing assignments.

Second grade:

A Beka math:  we like it so much more than Saxon

WWE:  we like it

SSRW:  mixed...love the program, have issues with the pacing

GUM:  mixed...could use some more explanation

Spelling Workout:  We like it...gets the job done.

RS4K:  same as above...we like the textbook, very doable if I gather supplies ahead of school year, experiments are so-so on excitement level.

Explode the Code:  My son is finishing the first book and becoming very resistant to doing the lessons.  I am having him do this for reinforcement and started on Book 3 for some practice with long vowels, and it's easy for him, but he is hating it this past week.  Maybe not challenging enough of a level for him?  Not sure.

ETA:

Also, we are loving Artistic Pursuits and Saxon K math for my K-4 child.  I also bought the Boys Body Book for 5th grade health, and I think it is very well written.  I am pretty happy so far with most of my choices this year.  No real complaints.  Haven't started Spanish yet until next week.

Edited by AdventuresinHomeschooling
  • Like 1

These are my feelings, not necessarily the feelings of my children, lol.

4th grade:

Love - CAP W&R Fable, R&S math, SOTW 3, R&S English

Hate - I can't find anything affordable for earth science/geology and my son isn't satisfied with just reading library books.

7th grade:

Love - ZB G.U.M. (finally found the best mix of instruction/independent work with a focus on application of the grammar), W&R 6 (seriously love this series, and after seeing the first high school book I plan on sticking with it long-term), Megawords, Horizons math, AO year 7 Bible

Hate - I don't hate anything, but I am sure she hates it all, lol...or at least just barely tolerates it.

9th grade:

Holt Environmental Science, Jensen's Format Writing, AO year 9 Bible, vocabulary.com and readtheory.com for easy daily practice in those areas, Notgrass Exploring America (minus the Bible lessons), Jacob's Elementary Algebra

Hate - we had to drop AO year nine, the pace was just too s-l-o-w. She really enjoyed the books, but three years on the last 400 years of history is just too long for the time period. She wants to have time to cover other social studies topics (like psychology) during high school.

I still love Didax Daily Mental Math for all of them.

• Like 1

4th grade:

Hate - I can't find anything affordable for earth science/geology and my son isn't satisfied with just reading library books.

You might want to consider a used version of Christian Kids Explore Earth and Space. It is not very expensive, and it works pretty well as a spine (I thought).  It doesn't take a stance on OE or YE which is nice so  you don't have to worry about that.  Overall we had a good year with it. I did supplement it with library books. There is one listed for $10 ppd on Homeschool classifieds.

Edited by cintinative

Loving: MEP math

Hating: MEP math

For one child, it is awesome, For the other child, it is torture. I finally caved today and ordered a traditional math program for the one who just doesn't get it after the 2nd time through year 2A. Once we get past 7+5 not being 11, I am hoping to supplement the traditional program with some MEP word problems and puzzles.

Loving:

Big History - ds13 says this is the best thing we've ever done! He even loves the writing assignments

Aops pre-a - picking up where he left off last year with much more ease and enthusiasm

Writing Circle - I can't believe the progress that this group of kids has made in the past year

Harry potter Arrow - ds10 is really enjoying this.

Great courses plus introduction to spanish - much much better than what we've tried to use in the past.

Great courses plus everything else! We've watched first lectures for way too many courses, just not enough time.

Tea time - I love that they still love tea time.

Morning pre-math walks - puppy needs them, ds13 needs them, and we have great conversations.

Meh:

Bfsu 3 - It seems light for us now

Singapore 5a - ds10 wanted a break from BA, but now he's begging to go back. I thought it was working pretty well for him.

Mega words - coming to this after apples and pears. I'm burned out on spelling

Not loving:

That I can't seem to get in the swing of morning basket this year. They didn't like the first book, wouldn't touch the chalk pastels, and I'm having a heck of a time getting both of them to the table at the same time.

Can't wait to start:

Literary lessons from lord of the rings - we decided to wait a little while until all of our more routine stuff was underway. I keep hoping ds10 will get excited about it but it might just be ds13 and I.

Cooking class - maybe something from great courses....after fall baseball when we might be home to eat.

For DD, 3rd grade:

Loves:

Beast Academy 3. My math-disliking little girl reads the guides for fun! WIN

Well Ordered Language from CAP. DD told me "grammar is actually fun!" They promised me at my homeschool convention that this is a program that helps kids love learning grammar. It seems to be working here.

K12 Literature 3. DD likes the variety of classic lit and poetry.

Homegrown American art and music study looped with poetry study. Part of our new morning Power Hour. DD LOVES learning about American artists especially. Huge win here and a wonderful, enriching way to start our day.

All About Spelling. Finally DD has found a spelling program she actually likes and thinks is worth her time.

CAP Writing Fable. She is really enjoying this.

IEW Writing (looped with CAP). She likes this as well; it is a nice change from CAP and CAP is a nice change from IEW. We switch off.

Not so Great:

MCT Grammar Island. I thought DD would  like the story elements but she just thinks it's weird.

Rod & Staff Spelling (looped with AAS ). DD really doesn't like it but she does appreciate that the lessons are short.

Writing with Ease. Just kind of boring for DD so we dropped it. She liked the stories but found everything else tedious. This is the second kid I have tried this with that thinks it's boring. I'll try again with kid #3.

Edited by chiefcookandbottlewasher

This is my first year with just one to homeschool. We are doing well with just about everything.

First a HUGE love - my daughter is in love with Manga Guide to Physiology as our spine for a human body study. It is packed with info. 

Like:

Derek Owens Pre-Algebra - well I really like it - she says she hates it but it's the first math program that hasn't made her cry every day. In fact she doesn't cry at all so that's a win in my book

Winston Grammar 

Biblioplan Ancients with Mills books

Hand-made world geography 

W&R Narrative II (will do Chreia as well)

Co-op - this is our first time doing a co-op. Mostly enrichment (cooking, cross-fit, and cellular biology). I don't adore it but it's nice and my daughter likes it. 

Miss -

Cottage Press Bards and Poets - I put this under miss rather than hate because we both like this but she just wasn't ready. So it's on the shelf for later. She loved CP Fable and Song. We are doing W&R in the meantime.

Edited by Heather in VA

Loving:

Videotext Interactive Algebra, A

America the Beautiful

Writer's In Residence

Not sure yet:

Spanish for Children

Not working for us (and for sale  :thumbup: ):

Sonlight Science G

Sonlight Science B

Back to the drawing board for science!!   :sad:

Pam

Loving:

Videotext Interactive Algebra, A

America the Beautiful

Writer's In Residence

Not sure yet:

Spanish for Children

Not working for us (and for sale :thumbup: ):

Sonlight Science G

Sonlight Science B

Back to the drawing board for science!! :sad:

Pam

Wow! You took the plung with Writers in Residene! And you love it!

Wow! You took the plunge with Writers in Residence! And you love it!

Well, it took a little persuading at first when my boys saw the thickness of the book, but after they got into it, it was a hit.  At least as much as can be for boys for writing.  :)  Praying it lasts!!!

Pam

Not loving:

That I can't seem to get in the swing of morning basket this year. They didn't like the first book, wouldn't touch the chalk pastels, and I'm having a heck of a time getting both of them to the table at the same time.

I can't help with the books or pastels, but one thing some families do is play a specific song for 4-5 minutes before morning time that lets everyone know what time it is, and it gives them time to finish up whatever it is they are doing at the moment. I heard that on one of the Your Morning Basket podcasts, I think. It's not an issue for us at the moment, but I keep it in mind for when it does.

• Like 4

*MY* favorite is CLE Reading 7, which is new for us this year.  I quickly ordered level 5 for my 5th grader, it is so good.

CLE Math (my favorite) and Apologia Science (elementary) with notebook journal (dd's favorite) are still favorites.

My little kids LOVE Logic of English Foundations, but I struggle getting around to it.  I'm breaking out my HWT for my 1st grader because Foundations is moving too slow, which is probably my fault.

Alpha Phonics is my new favorite phonics book of the bazillion I've used over the years.

My kids LOVE Story of the World 2.  I'm trying to convince them to do a Halloween costume theme as a family, where half of us dress as Celtic warriors (the crazy ones), and the other half dress as Roman soldiers (the more serious family members).  I, of course, would be a Celtic warrior.

Not so much:

I'm about to ditch Logic of English Essentials.  It is tedious and I don't like teaching it.  

Jury is still out on BJU Life Science DLO, Real Science Odyssey Life Science, MP's Literature guides, Essentials in Writing 3, 5, & 7, and Home Art Studio 2nd Grade

Edited by Heidi
  • Like 1

I have been an eclectic home schooler for years putting my own curriculum together.... and realizing that I simply needed "to bite the bullet" and purchase a organized program that still met my love of the classical model.

I have been absolutely thrilled with Memoria Press --- my 8 year old loves it!

• Like 3