Menu

What's with the ads?

Margaret in CO

Pride Goeth before the Shopping Cart

Ouch!

I admit I have issues with those who don't return carts and are able bodied to do so - I've just had too many run into my vehicle after being left to roll around in the wind. I have thankfully never had a cart fight back though :lol:

• Like 1

I love Aldi - you have to return the cart if you want your quarter back, and everybody does so. That's why German supermarkets have no problems with stray carts in the parking lot. 

• Like 13

The quarter is too low to matter here. People will leave the cart if its raining, or if its too far for them to walk (back pain, knee or hip pain). Kids or homeless will go around and gather, but in winter its as if the people are suggesting more appropriate places to put the cart returns. Some of the stores have responded...Target for ex has enough in reasonable locations that people actually use them.

• Like 1

The quarter is too low to matter here. People will leave the cart if its raining, or if its too far for them to walk (back pain, knee or hip pain). Kids or homeless will go around and gather, but in winter its as if the people are suggesting more appropriate places to put the cart returns. Some of the stores have responded...Target for ex has enough in reasonable locations that people actually use them.

Yep I am a pretty regular cart returner but there are a couple of car parks where they have just pulled out all the trolley bays and left one that are very painful. I really wish they'd get the message from the banked up trolleys along one of the verges that an extra return would save the trolley men a ton of work.

I hate the Aldi ones as I'm forever looking for a coin while trying to watch kids and everything else. And the stupid tokens don't fit all the trolleys and jam really easily.

Ouch!

For some reason, I went through a period of hitting shopping cart bars with my shins on EVERY trip. It lasted months! I had horrible bruises. And then it just stopped! I don't think they got new carts, either.

I don't just put my cart back. I properly nest all the carts in the corral. Otherwise my brain will cry.

• Like 8

I had a cart lock up on me the other day. They installed those self-locking carts but placed the boundaries too close to the store. I parked a little over to the side, not right in front of the store. Thank goodness I was in the first spot because I had to drag the cart to my car to put in all of my groceries. The cart attendant was watching me. I'm sure he was thinking this is going to be a huge problem at Christmas!

• Like 1

I always return my carts. I understand that there are legitimate reasons others may not (safety, disability, etc.). However, I have absolutely NOTHING good to say about people who leave carts in the lot, but choose to leave them propped against my back fender. Nothing at all.

ETA: Unnecessary preposition.

Edited by Reluctant Homeschooler
  • Like 3

That was funny!

No worries cart non-returners, ds gets great joy out of pushing stray carts either to the store on our way in or to the corral if our shopping is done. It fulfills his need for heavy work too.

• Like 1

When the kids were little I developed the habit of parking near the cart corral so I wouldn't need to leave them alone or drag them along to return the cart.

• Like 6

There have been times I didn't return the cart.

Texas summer heat, car with no air conditioning, a highly coveted shady parking spot nowhere near the cart return with 3 little kids in tow.

• Like 1

Yep I am a pretty regular cart returner but there are a couple of car parks where they have just pulled out all the trolley bays and left one that are very painful. I really wish they'd get the message from the banked up trolleys along one of the verges that an extra return would save the trolley men a ton of work.

I hate the Aldi ones as I'm forever looking for a coin while trying to watch kids and everything else. And the stupid tokens don't fit all the trolleys and jam really easily.

The grocery chain aside from aldi with coins here just has one store with them..people just dont bother now as there are always carts with a coin left in. The real problem is theft, and most grocers have gone to the boot system instead of the coin lock here.
  • Like 1

I've never seen carts in our Aldi parking lot. People always return them. For me it's not the amount. Certainly a quarter isn't a big deal. However, I rarely have change on me so I keep a quarter in my car. It's my Aldi quarter. If I don't return my cart I can't go to Aldi again unless I'm sure I have a quarter on me. Our Sav-A-Lot tried to charge for carts but that lasted less than a month. Currently Aldi is the only one who charges and it shows in their parking lot vs. the lots in every other grocery store.

We recently got a brand new up-to-date Publix and everyone was really excited. I don't know who designed that parking lot but it's ridiculous. There are very few cart returns, they're small, and they're spaced out pretty far. There are carts all over the parking lot as a result. 

I've noticed, at least in my area, when stores make returning carts convenient, people return them. When the cart returns are far from most cars or fill up and employees don't come and clear them out, I see carts everywhere. Our Target also has plenty of cart returns and they're really big so they fit a lot of carts. There are rarely stray carts in the Target parking lot.

• Like 3

I always return my carts. I understand that there are legitimate reasons others may not (safety, disability, etc.). However, I have absolutely NOTHING good to say about people who leave carts in the lot, but choose to leave them propped against my back fender. Nothing at all.

ETA: Unnecessary preposition.

Yes, this. Also, it isn't polite to park your cart in an empty parking space *when you see a car trying to turn into that space, and now they can't until you move your cart.* Even less polite to then ignore the driver calling to you asking you to move the cart so they can park. And triple rude when the actual cart return was just as close to your car as the empty space *three spaces over* that you walked the cart to, blocking the trying to park driver, instead of using the cart return *directly across from where you parked.*

Ahem. Not that I am still bitter about that incident, or anything.....

• Like 2

Yes, this. Also, it isn't polite to park your cart in an empty parking space *when you see a car trying to turn into that space, and now they can't until you move your cart.* Even less polite to then ignore the driver calling to you asking you to move the cart so they can park. And triple rude when the actual cart return was just as close to your car as the empty space *three spaces over* that you walked the cart to, blocking the trying to park driver, instead of using the cart return *directly across from where you parked.*

Ahem. Not that I am still bitter about that incident, or anything.....

Yeah, it's the overt lack of consideration that ticks me off. One time I caught someone red-handed trying to use my car as a cart rest. I was walking to the car with my full cart and saw a woman who was parked nearby walk her empty cart over to my car and push the cart against the bumper. I said VERY loudly, "Excuse me, but you didn't FIND that there." I removed the cart, pushed it toward her spot, and proceeded to unload my groceries into the trunk, giving her very dirty looks the entire time. I don't care if she had a good reason for not taking it to the cart return. She was a jerk. Full stop. After she pulled away, I took both carts to the return area.

• Like 2

Also annoying is people who apparently can't read the signs saying to put the small carts in the left half of the corral, and the large ones in the right half, and it turns into a random bunch of carts (which then also takes up a lot more space, so then there are carts sticking out onto the area people drive, and all that. Seriously, why? Even if you *actually* can't read, you can still have the sense to push your cart into a matching size cart.

And I'm with the crowd that tries to park right next to a corral, because I'm lazy.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's the overt lack of consideration that ticks me off. One time I caught someone red-handed trying to use my car as a cart rest. I was walking to the car with my full cart and saw a woman who was parked nearby walk her empty cart over to my car and push the cart against the bumper. I said VERY loudly, "Excuse me, but you didn't FIND that there." I removed the cart, pushed it toward her spot, and proceeded to unload my groceries into the trunk, giving her very dirty looks the entire time. I don't care if she had a good reason for not taking it to the cart return. She was a jerk. Full stop. After she pulled away, I took both carts to the return area.

Recently I saw the guy who moves all the trolleys using someone's car as a trolley rest! I probably should have reported it to the centre because I would have been livid if it had been my car!

:p I can't be friends with a non-cart-returner. It's #4 on my list of peeves.

• Like 5

I just park next to the cart return.  Easy.  If I'm at Aldi, I park as close to the door as possible.  I usually refuse to shop in the rain; too much trouble dragging three sopping kids through a parking lot with wet groceries.  No thank you.

I never understood the whole shopping cart return thing because here it is very rare for anyone to leave the cart out. I realized why this was when I was shopping on vacation once and was like "why are there all these carts strewn about?!" Then I had an ah ha moment because I could unload my groceries without holding on to the cart or angling the cart against my car. People don't tend to leave their carts out here because they will literally roll away. All of the grocery stores I use except for Trader Joes underground lot don't have level parking lots. Everything is on a bit of a grade. No one wants to send their cart rolling out of their spot.

• Like 1

I never understood the whole shopping cart return thing because here it is very rare for anyone to leave the cart out. I realized why this was when I was shopping on vacation once and was like "why are there all these carts strewn about?!" Then I had an ah ha moment because I could unload my groceries without holding on to the cart or angling the cart against my car. People don't tend to leave their carts out here because they will literally roll away. All of the grocery stores I use except for Trader Joes underground lot don't have level parking lots. Everything is on a bit of a grade. No one wants to send their cart rolling out of their spot.

I think you're onto a great solution - repave parking lots to have a steeper grade. Then have the cart corral at the low point of the lot, like targets. ;)

• Like 3

I don't just put my cart back. I properly nest all the carts in the corral. Otherwise my brain will cry.

THANK YOU!!! While I'm careful about returning my cart 90% of the time, I actually don't mind so much when people don't return their carts. Our lots are level, and it doesn't tend to be very windy here, so there aren't usually carts blowing around, and many of the grocery stores in the area hire certain kinds of people to wrangle carts who might not otherwise have jobs. 

But it almost makes my hair stand on end to watch someone push their cart all the way to corral, only to give it a light push so that it's half in and half out of the corral, or so that it's ever so gently touching the cart right in front of it. I want to pull up next to them and harangue them (but I don't, because that's crazy lady material). 

Once I drove past the cart corral where the carts were shoved in haphazardly, but jammed so tight up against each other that they couldn't be fixed without pulling out all the carts. And the jam was so bad that the line of carts was half out into the roadway and cars were having to go around them. And instead of walking a few extra steps in another direction to another corral, people just kept walking up to it and pushing their cart haphazardly at the end, IN THE ROADWAY. I thought my head was going to explode :lol:

But seriously, people...why?!

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops

hear you need  $1 or $2 to use the trolley. Most people return the trolley to retrieve their money. if they don't there are always eager children in the parking lot that want to make $1 So there are never many trolleys left around. Except the few that people use for joyriding- somehow they end up in very unusual places a long long way away form the shops.

When the kids were babies/toddlers, I was guilty of leaving the cart a few times. I was concerned for their safety, and did not want to leae them, if I couldn't park close to the cart corral.  However, I DID try to ensure that the cart would not roll easily.

I find it odd that non-returned carts are common in some places.  It's so rare here to see that I can't even think of an instance.  Sometimes they will be sloppy in the coral, that is as bad as it gets.

In fact the cart-return thing is strong enough that if there is no coral, people walk the carts back to the sidewalk in front of the store - I even know one place where people walk them inside.

I just leave my kids in the car when I return the cart, unless possibly it is a small person I can carry.  I think most people must because I don't see many kids being dragged along to return carts.

I find it odd that non-returned carts are common in some places. It's so rare here to see that I can't even think of an instance. Sometimes they will be sloppy in the coral, that is as bad as it gets.

In fact the cart-return thing is strong enough that if there is no coral, people walk the carts back to the sidewalk in front of the store - I even know one place where people walk them inside.

I just leave my kids in the car when I return the cart, unless possibly it is a small person I can carry. I think most people must because I don't see many kids being dragged along to return carts.

It's completely out of control here. I often do a quick count while I'm walking from my car to the store. I usually count 20-25 carts in the couple aisles that I can see.

My car has 2 dents that were clearly made by a shopping cart. 😠

I now have picked out strategic parking places in the parking lots of stores I frequent to keep my car safe.

Someone is capable of loading everyone into the car, driving to the store, unloading everyone from the car, walking across the parking lot, moving up and down the aisles selecting groceries, getting rung up and paying, walking out and back across the parking lot, putting the groceries in the car, and suddenly has a valid reason they cannot return the cart? No. I don't buy it.

Edited by Pegasus
  • Like 2

My son works at the local grocer, and spends part of each day shagging carriages in the parking lot (and down the *very* steep hill at the old folks home behind the store where the residents leaves their carts). I pretty regularly leave my carriage out (where I'm sure it won't roll into another vehicle) because - job security!

Someone is capable of loading everyone into the car, driving to the store, unloading everyone from the car, walking across the parking lot, moving up and down the aisles selecting groceries, getting rung up and paying, walking out and back across the parking lot, putting the groceries in the car, and suddenly has a valid reason they cannot return the cart? No. I don't buy it.

Yes, I can't see this as being a common scenario. 

Carraiges?  Trolleys?  and PAYING to use a cart?  

Wow... I need to get out more...

FTR, I am a smug cart returner but get a slight thrill out of aiming the cart at the corral and pushing it so it does a little bumper car thing into the aisle.  I do make sure it goes in though.

Edited by goldberry
  • Like 1

I've never seen carts in our Aldi parking lot. People always return them. For me it's not the amount. Certainly a quarter isn't a big deal. However, I rarely have change on me so I keep a quarter in my car. It's my Aldi quarter. If I don't return my cart I can't go to Aldi again unless I'm sure I have a quarter on me. Our Sav-A-Lot tried to charge for carts but that lasted less than a month. Currently Aldi is the only one who charges and it shows in their parking lot vs. the lots in every other grocery store.

We recently got a brand new up-to-date Publix and everyone was really excited. I don't know who designed that parking lot but it's ridiculous. There are very few cart returns, they're small, and they're spaced out pretty far. There are carts all over the parking lot as a result. 

I've noticed, at least in my area, when stores make returning carts convenient, people return them. When the cart returns are far from most cars or fill up and employees don't come and clear them out, I see carts everywhere. Our Target also has plenty of cart returns and they're really big so they fit a lot of carts. There are rarely stray carts in the Target parking lot.

Yup. Our publix has cart returns only every other parking aisle, with big sidewalks and planted medians in between. Really no practical way to return the car without walking all the way back up. But, there is plenty of room to leave a cart between the stopper/curb thing and the sidewalk/planted area. I put it there if I'm in an aisle without a cart return area, so it can't bang into a car. Such a weird set up. 

And yes, our Targets have lots of car return areas, so I always put it away there. 

• Like 1