Menu

Whats on your (Pre)Kers Wall?

mathmarm

Maps and a hundreds chart.

I used to have a big calendar that I painstakingly cut and laminated and created velcro dates/special occasion cards for, all of which were enthusiastically torn off the wall at some point by a growing toddler. (A good way to hone fine motor skills, I guess.) And an ABC chart, and a "what's the weather" type thing. I also got art postcards from various artists and had them hanging up, but those were removed by the older kids. I also tried at one point to print out some of the free nursery rhyme sheets from the CKLA Preschool series and laminate them and hang them, which the preschooler liked a lot.

Maps! Great idea.  Do you get more use putting things on the wall at kids eye level, or on a table surface (say, under a protective plastic pane) where the kid can see it regularly and easily?

Our walls are strongly math-biased.

Number line, Quantity cards, base ten, number chart...

I kind of want something up there for Language, but no idea what to include.

Our full address written out and my cell phone number.

A list of the days, months and seasons in order.

We also have a bunch of place mats that I prop up on the white board near the table...maps, instruments, planets, presidents, shapes, money, etc.

Plus lots and lots of art.

• Like 1

Our play/school room walls are mostly taken up by bookshelves but I do have a large white board with a number line above it, a huge US map, and some artwork. On top of the bookshelves are a gram scale, globes, and some art. There is also a calendar and a pocket chart with the weather and date hanging in the closet door (we rarely use it though).

On the school table they each have a name tent showing how to properly write their name (in print on one side and cursive on the other). Each child has a laminated sheet with the alphabet on one side and their full name, address, and phone number on the other that is in the daily binder. Nearby are children's encyclopedias and a children's dictionary. My oldest did use those at kindergarten age but by younger two have never used them.

In our kitchen I have a decorative blackboard that has a memory verse or poem we are trying to learn. It is near the table so the kids see it at meal time. The 4 year old isn't reading but he knows it is there and what it says. When we eat in the dining room the kids have learning placemats that they love. They don't like the one for telling time, but the do like the map ones (world, and a couple different US maps), periodic table of elements, and the Presidents. Even my 4 year old can pick out several states. He can also tell you the names of our 1st, 16th, 32nd, and current president (those are the ones my 6 year old likes to quiz us on😜).

We school in the dining-family room.  We have up an enormous world map, a calendar, a schedule (more for my reference, but he checks it to see what the day's plans are)... that's it.  For a while we had a "10s rainbow" he made up on the wall, but that's down now.

Our learning area (and entire house) is quite utilitarian.  That Mother Goose Time set up made me drool a little.  Very nice.

I would strongly consider an art print as well. My younger three (currently 3, 5, and 7.5) really love looking at whatever art work is up. They love finding things in them. I had NO idea they'd love the pictures so much.

Funny: I have five frames lined up on one wall for art prints, and I swap them out occasionally. This year we are studying world geography, so our picture study is mainly world monuments. The other day, we looked at a new one, and I added it to the frames. The 3yo wasn't in the room at the time, but later, I heard him saying, "Come look! Come look!" I was right in the middle of something and couldn't come right away, so he came running back to me. "New picture!" He was very excited and definitely hadn't missed that I put something new up. So cute!