Menu

Fiestaware owners--bowl question

Dynamite5

I need to replace our soup bowls.  Kids use these for everything from soup to ice cream to casseroles.  The bowls I need to replace hold 24 ounces and are shaped like coffee mugs.  I'm happy to get rid of the handle--it makes stacking harder.  I've looked online and like the Fiestaware chowder bowls.  If you have these, are they a good size for soups that need room for stirring in crackers and such?

Does anyone happen to have the white?  I had no idea one could even purchase Fiestaware in white.  All my other dishes are white (and I will have them forever) so I would like to stay with white if possible.  Is it a true white?  

Any thoughts or opinions would be welcome!

I don't have the chowder bowls but I do have white Fiestaware. It's true white but not BLINDING white. I would say it is more like the color of a white egg than the color of bleached cotton, if that makes sense. It's a soft white. I do have to say that it does show scrapes from spoons/knives over time. Just pale lines inside the bowls and on the plates. They don't bug me; I think Fiestaware is great because it's so solid and versatile and classic. But I just wanted you to know that in case it matters to you.

• Like 1

I don't have the chowder bowls. IIRC I ordered some and they were huge. I went with the jumbo bowls instead which are 4 oz smaller (18 vs 22) and they're a nice size for soups and stews. We use them all the time. I wish I had a few more because we are often running out of them. Mine are all bright colors so I can't comment on the white.

ETA: I just reread and realized you're replacing 24-oz bowls do you probably would like the chowder bowls then.

Edited by Forget-me-not
  • Like 1

I think you'll like the chowder bowls. We have them - they are great for a big bowl of soup or chili, and work if you like to stir in crackers or chips with chili. We have 12 of them, they get a lot of use for other stuff, too. We have the smaller sizes as well, but these are always being used.

I can't help with color - we don't have white - but a thumbs up for the bowls!

I don't have the chowder bowls but I do have white Fiestaware. It's true white but not BLINDING white. I would say it is more like the color of a white egg than the color of bleached cotton, if that makes sense. It's a soft white. I do have to say that it does show scrapes from spoons/knives over time. Just pale lines inside the bowls and on the plates. They don't bug me; I think Fiestaware is great because it's so solid and versatile and classic. But I just wanted you to know that in case it matters to you.

That's very helpful.  Thanks!

I think you'll like the chowder bowls. We have them - they are great for a big bowl of soup or chili, and work if you like to stir in crackers or chips with chili. We have 12 of them, they get a lot of use for other stuff, too. We have the smaller sizes as well, but these are always being used.

I can't help with color - we don't have white - but a thumbs up for the bowls!

Thank you!  It's so hard to tell when looking online if I would really like them or not.  Appreciate your opinion.

I don't have the chowder bowls. IIRC I ordered some and they were huge. I went with the jumbo bowls instead which are 4 oz smaller (18 vs 22) and they're a nice size for soups and stews. We use them all the time. I wish I had a few more because we are often running out of them. Mine are all bright colors so I can't comment on the white.

ETA: I just reread and realized you're replacing 24-oz bowls do you probably would like the chowder bowls then.

Yes--I've got a great set of smaller bowls that get used a lot.  The chowder bowls really are for use when we need a bigger bowl, such as to stir in crackers or cheese.

I was mistaken—I have the Gusto bowls, not chowder (but no white) and they are perfect for soup/chowder/chili with mix-ins. We use smaller bowls for other things like cereal, as they're so big, but they really are perfect for that. Like others I use them for serving things too.

Edited by AndyJoy

We also have the gusto bowls, which hold 28 oz instead of 22 oz for the chowder. I'd personally rather go up than down since the kids are only getting bigger. I snagged five of them (one for each of us) on Amazon when the price went down to $8.99. I bought them specifically for soup, but they quickly became everyone's favorite go-to bowl for cereal too. DH in particular loves them.

All my Fiesta dishes are white, and it seems a true white to me. No ivory to the color at all and, as a pp mentioned, not blinding.

• Like 1

I LOVE Fiestaware!  :w00t:

I don't have the chowder bowls (22-oz), but I do have the gusto bowls (28-oz) and the medium bowls (19-oz).

The gusto bowls (28-oz) are deep! They don't tend to get used too much at our house for an individual person's soup/stew etc., but more as a small serving bowl, like the previous poster said. Also, they don't at all "nest", so I can only *just barely* stack 4 gusto bowls on my 9" high shelf. However, if you are big eaters, then they might work for you.

We tend to use the medium bowls (19-oz) for individual servings. They are wider and flatter than I personally like for a bowl to eat from -- and they would be considerably smaller than the 24-oz bowls you are used to. However they nest a bit better on the shelf -- I can fit 8 or 9 bowls in one stack on that same 9" high shelf as 4 gusto bowls.

So perhaps those chowder bowls would be perfect for you. They sure look like they would nest nicely, and they are more rounded and deeper than the medium bowls.

As to color -- white = ick. Just my opinion, but one does not buy Fiestaware and choose WHITE when there are all these amazing colors. ;) But, I have loads of different colors of Fiestaware and to ME, the white pieces look very drab and sad next to all that color.

As far as scratching -- I have some very old, small white Fiestaware bowls handed down to me from my grandma, and they are ALL scratched up. The other old pieces that are colored do not show scratches. The "old" white of the antique pieces is definitely more of an ivory color than the "new" white.

BEST of luck in finding what works best for your family and your kitchen! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

Quick tip: if they show scratches, even the very old pieces, try some Barkeeper's Friend.

We let go of all of our vintage Fiesta after a lead scare though. We only have new now, that we know is lead and radiation free.

I looked at mine closer - I was wrong! We don't have chowder bowls. Oops! We have gusto bowls, too.

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 1

I LOVE Fiestaware!  :w00t:

I don't have the chowder bowls (22-oz), but I do have the gusto bowls (28-oz) and the medium bowls (19-oz).

The gusto bowls (28-oz) are deep! They don't tend to get used too much at our house for an individual person's soup/stew etc., but more as a small serving bowl, like the previous poster said. Also, they don't at all "nest", so I can only *just barely* stack 4 gusto bowls on my 9" high shelf. However, if you are big eaters, then they might work for you.

We tend to use the medium bowls (19-oz) for individual servings. They are wider and flatter than I personally like for a bowl to eat from -- and they would be considerably smaller than the 24-oz bowls you are used to. However they nest a bit better on the shelf -- I can fit 8 or 9 bowls in one stack on that same 9" high shelf as 4 gusto bowls.

So perhaps those chowder bowls would be perfect for you. They sure look like they would nest nicely, and they are more rounded and deeper than the medium bowls.

As to color -- white = ick. Just my opinion, but one does not buy Fiestaware and choose WHITE when there are all these amazing colors. ;) But, I have loads of different colors of Fiestaware and to ME, the white pieces look very drab and sad next to all that color.

As far as scratching -- I have some very old, small white Fiestaware bowls handed down to me from my grandma, and they are ALL scratched up. The other old pieces that are colored do not show scratches. The "old" white of the antique pieces is definitely more of an ivory color than the "new" white.

BEST of luck in finding what works best for your family and your kitchen! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Thanks for the great info!  I do think I would have a storage issue with the gusto bowls...I went with the chowder bowls for just that reason.  I like the shape and I need to keep them in a deep drawer, so I think they will fit the bill nicely.

I'm SO with you on the colors!  I love the colors, but I had been through so many sets of dishes that the last time we chose dishes, we chose them from the same company that makes Fiestaware, but we got white.  That way, I can have different colors of cloth napkins, table runners, etc.  As I looked over the colors, it was impossible for me to choose!  I finally settled on the slate, because that way they are still neutral, they go really well with my kitchen and I can continue to use all of my colorful accessories.  I also got salad plates to go with them, also in slate.  I think what I will do is to ask for colorful serving pieces--some of my serving bowls need to be replaced and I could use another platter or two.  I'll keep an eye on sales and find a way to bring the beautiful colors into my kitchen that way.  I feel as though my kitchen has just opened into a brand new world--HA!  

Thanks so much for the great advice!