Menu

Grading scale on transcript? Plus and Minus Grades?

Did you include the grading scale on your transcripts?  I've been advised to use a grading scale of 94-100 = A and 87 - 93 = B, etc. Maybe I'm outdated, but for me, 90-100 is an A, 80-99 is a B.  

Also, I don't assign a plus or a minus.  On the transcript we received from PA Homeschoolers, her grades included one A+ and one A-, but I was just going to report them both as an A. ( I'm not sure there is a common grading scale for all classes on PA Homeschoolers or whether each teacher does it his/her own way.) Any reason to consider doing plus/minus grading?

I have used 90-80-70 and no +/-.

This said: please keep in mind that the grading scale on the transcript is completely meaningless without the actual assignments. I can have a tough grading scale with easy tests and lots of fluff points or a more forgiving grading scale with a few hard exams (or even solely a comprehensive final) - the grading scale alone does not say anything about the rigor of a course.

So, not worth sweating at all.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

I use plus/minus grading because the university and community college where my kids do DE use plus/minus grading. I do not want their homeschool transcripts to differ from the transcripts sent directly from the colleges. Will you be having PA Homeschoolers sending an additional direct transcript? If not, it won't matter which you choose so long as you are consistent. 

• Like 1

Very helpful responses!  Not going to "sweat at all" about it now.   :001_smile:

Melissa - we are using PA Homschoolers and will have them send an additional transcript.  I thought I would report A's for both the A+ and A-, figuring the colleges would see that they were both courses of the same level (actually the A+ was in what is considered a harder AP course), and move right past it.  Thoughts?

In my state, the state dept of ed is changing the grading scale from a 7 point scale to a 10 point scale. My legal organization advised me to put a numerical average for everything - along with that year's state grading scale. This grading scale has to do with an academic scholarship students can earn - so it has to be recorded a specific way (if you want to qualify for the money).