Menu

ideas for detroit

ElizabethB

I have a campaign slogan...A New Year, A New Detroit.

I think now is a terrible time to do anything, you could be for cute cat videos and the other side would be against...

I am getting close to completing a beta version of my new 10 lesson, 10 hour DVD series that I have normally taught as a co-op class. It normally averages 1 to 2 reading grade levels of improvement. I would eventually like to teach it in Detroit, with the worst reading scores in the nation with only 6 and 7 percent of 4th and 8th graders reading proficiently. But, that got me thinking, poor Detroit, they have a lot of other things that need fixing, too.

I don't live in the area so don't know what needs done the most...huffington post had some good positive local articles but some would be against huffington cats right now...

Ideas about what Detroit needs most? How to publicize and implement?

Follow on idea...Detroit helping DC. Pay for busing costs, help coordinate housing, take the best of what was done in Detroit and do in DC.

Since we cannot be political anyhow, and have billions of good ideas and lots of opinions, I wanted to start the conversation.

P.S cats are evil. 😂😂

P.P.S I actually like cats, but I am massively allergic to them.

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 1

I am thinking that Detroit is worse than most of Michigan in that they need JOBS that pay a living wage. I know that in so much of Michigan most jobs, even skilled labor are at $9-10/hour and most through temp services to avoid paying benefits. Gone are the days when one parent could work full time at a local manufacturing plant and be able to support a family at a modest level.

• Like 3

It does not help the Detroit area, or the State of Michigan, or factory workers in the USA, that Ford Motor Company announced, a week or so ago, that they are going to build a 1.6 Billion Dollar factory in Mexico, and they are going to build all of their small cars in Mexico. That helps keep their cost of their small cars low and they will build more expensive vehicles in the USA. 

• Like 2

Jobs, jobs, jons and decent jobs, not fast food minimum wage.

Blight. All of it just plain razed. The city has been depressing, down right depressing which is so hard on the morale of its citizens.and of course ramshackle, unlighted, buildings with.holes everywhere for escape make great hideouts for gang members, drug addicts, dealers, and nearly impossible for Detroit police to patrol.

Where buildings are razed, the rubble needs to be cleaned up and community centers, gardens, playplaces with security put up in each community. The people need hope, the.children need safe places to be. I know of numerous people, myself included, who would drive the distance to volunteer tutoring services if there was a safe place to do it.

The school buildings need to be remodeled or potentially just knocked down and new ones put up. Some of Highland Park district schools look like London after the Blitz. How are children supposed to learn in that?

NCLB repealed. That dangerous piece of legislation which should be named "Every child left behind" hurts in places like Detroit where children begin school at severe deficit more than suburban and rural or urban but stable districts because it takes away the teachers' gains. If your kindergartener only has a working vocabulary of 75 words and doesn't know the difference between a horse and a cow - true stories from the trenches of Detroit Schools - that child cannot be expected to meet NCLB standards. That's crazy!!! But the teacher who opens that child's worls to animals, books, colors, art, counting, calendars, and creative play should be rewarded NOT condemned.

And since teaching there practically spells the end of one's career because one cannot take children in such deficit and get them up to standards in a year or two ending with bad teacher evaluations.year after year, it is going to take a frightful amount of money for salaries to attract new, non burned out teachers to the district so Michigan is going to have to dig deep if it wants to reclaim the city.

But if the place were cleaned up, and if the schools were put back on the right track, more businessrs might look at Detroit for investment because real estate is bizarrely cheap and the state is poised to make tax inducements to get some business into the city. That said, I don't know if our state government has the collective brains to offer these incentives to the right companies since often these are awarded to buddies who funded campaigns but who will in the grand scheme of things do very little.

• Like 6

Blight. All of it just plain razed. The city has been depressing, down right depressing which is so hard on the morale of its citizens.and of course ramshackle, unlighted, buildings with.holes everywhere for escape make great hideouts for gang members, drug addicts, dealers, and nearly impossible for Detroit police to patrol.

Where buildings are razed, the rubble needs to be cleaned up and community centers, gardens, playplaces with security put up in each community. The people need hope, the.children need safe places to be. I know of numerous people, myself included, who would drive the distance to volunteer tutoring services if there was a safe place to do it.

The school buildings need to be remodeled or potentially just knocked down and new ones put up. Some of Highland Park district schools look like London after the Blitz. How are children supposed to learn in that?

NCLB repealed. That dangerous piece of legislation which should be named "Every child left behind" hurts in places like Detroit where children begin school at severe deficit more than suburban and rural or urban but stable districts because it takes away the teachers' gains. If your kindergartener only has a working vocabulary of 75 words and doesn't know the difference between a horse and a cow - true stories from the trenches of Detroit Schools - that child cannot be expected to meet NCLB standards. That's crazy!!! But the teacher who opens that child's worls to animals, books, colors, art, counting, calendars, and creative play should be rewarded NOT condemned.

And since teaching there practically spells the end of one's career because one cannot take children in such deficit and get them up to standards in a year or two ending with bad teacher evaluations.year after year, it is going to take a frightful amount of money for salaries to attract new, non burned out teachers to the district so Michigan is going to have to dig deep if it wants to reclaim the city.

But if the place were cleaned up, and if the schools were put back on the right track, more businessrs might look at Detroit for investment because real estate is bizarrely cheap and the state is poised to make tax inducements to get some business into the city. That said, I don't know if our state government has the collective brains to offer these incentives to the right companies since often these are awarded to buddies who funded campaigns but who will in the grand scheme of things do very little.

I want to hire you!!  Of course, my nonprofit has a standard pay of...nothing, it is entirely volunteer based.  (And all but the education part is entirely outside of the scope of my nonprofit.)

Some of the concerns you raise is why my idea is for the people to do, nonprofits and volunteers, so that whatever is planned will actually get done.  If good security was in place, I think a lot of people would be interested in donating and helping to the types of things you suggest.

Yes, Elizabeth, with security and backing there are definitely people who will get involved.

The thing is, it benefits all Michiganders to get Detroit back on track because having the largest municipam bankruptcy in US history on your track record does not infuse confidence in investment in other communities in this state.

Coupled with the Flint water tragedy, and our frightfully falling apart infrastructure, and we look like the state with imbeciles in charge! Who wants to put capitol into that hot mess? No one. They want to see signs that things are changing for the better, that there is a future for Michigan other than more decay and ruin.

• Like 1

Hmmm....we have family in Detroit. My husband is a CPA and I am a teacher. We would both make MORE money in Detroit, and be able to buy our same house for less $$. We are up there at least once per year.

I know the factories are hurting, but with unionized jobs, they definitely make more than many areas.

• Like 1

The problem is Dawn that the number of union jobs is a tiny percentage of what it used to be. Sure the people who have managed to hold on to them make a good living. But at the height of the NAFTA exit unemployment hit 25 percent across the city with some neighborhoods north of 30 percent. The unemployment rate is still high for the city and those that did find employment found it working two part time jobs for minimum wage, not a decent pay with benefits position.

My honorary daughter got a job with Quicken in Detroit based on her bachelor's degree and work history. The unemployed former factory worker is not being offered that kind of position.

The employment situation is really bad.

• Like 3

The problem is Dawn that the number of union jobs is a tiny percentage of what it used to be. Sure the people who have managed to hold on to them make a good living. But at the height of the NAFTA exit unemployment hit 25 percent across the city with some neighborhoods north of 30 percent. The unemployment rate is still high for the city and those that did find employment found it working two part time jobs for minimum wage, not a decent pay with benefits position.

My honorary daughter got a job with Quicken in Detroit based on her bachelor's degree and work history. The unemployed former factory worker is not being offered that kind of position.

The employment situation is really bad.

I understand that for many it is really bad. But raising teacher pay was on the list and Detroit actually pays family well for the COL area.

I really do wonder how some union jobs can be sustainable. My FIL was union with Chrysler in Detroit and only had a high school level diploma with minimal added training at a CC. He retired with MUCH more than most people I know. He passed away but my MIL gets all of his pension, almost $10K per month, and full health insurance at no cost to her.

They can't afford to do that anymore.

I don't know what all the answers are, but if the money isn't there, it isn't there.

Dawn

• Like 2

I have only seen the 60 min special. It appeared that no child gets ahead is in operation. A shift back, to grouping by instructional need, and offering the opportunity for each child to grow academically by at least one grade level per year, is needed.in addition, students should be allowed to attend until age 21...or given a voucher to finish when they are ready, no matter what their age or incarceration status.

Edited by Heigh Ho

I have only seen the 60 min special. It appeared that no child gets ahead is in operation. A shift back, to grouping by instructional need, and offering the opportunity for each child to grow academically by at least one grade level per year, is needed.in addition, students should be allowed to attend until age 21...or given a voucher to finish when they are ready, no matter what their age or incarceration status.

I don't think anywhere in the country will get any of that under current educational leadership conditions.

I don't think anywhere in the country will get any of that under current educational leadership conditions.

I agree. We have already had a decade of ncga. And the solution to students at college who are under prepared is to offer tutoring, not make high school meaningful. There is no serious effort going on.

Liking this just wasn't enough. 

Sadly, many surrounding communities are heading in a similar direction.  The whole state is a mess.  

I agree. We have already had a decade of ncga. And the solution to students at college who are under prepared is to offer tutoring, not make high school meaningful. There is no serious effort going on.

One of the issues is that people want college prep for all.  Back in the day of Tiering high school, you had the trade/tech route, the graduate route, and the pre-college route.   There were lawsuits.  I don't have time to look it all up now, but there are articles and documentaries of people who were placed (in their opinion) in the lowest level, denying them the option of college.   Free and EQUAL education meant the birth of college prep only programs.