Menu

Your best chicken and mushroom dish

Laura Corin

I have got a super scrumptious chicken mushroom dish that is simple as well!  This works best with chicken thighs.  Take the the skins off.  Roll them in a combination of olive oil and lime juice.  (I can't remember the original proportions but I usually do something like 1/4 cup olive oil to juice of two limes.)  Sprinkle with a little salt and fresh ground pepper and bake them in the oven until they are just starting to brown.  While they are cooking melt butter in a frying pan and add in lots of sliced mushrooms (any type will do).  When the thighs are starting to brown, pour the rest of the olive oil/lime juice mixture over them (if you have any left) and then pour the butter/mushrooms over them as well.  Broil them until nice and crispy (maybe 10 minutes?  Depend on how close your pan is to the broiler).  

• Like 1

A creamy sauce would be good, but not soup packets/tins please.  No cheese either.

I could search for something but I want a tried and tested recipe for my mum's 92nd birthday.

I'm a competent cook.

Chicken Marsala (not strictly authentic, but I did learn this in an Italian cooking class ages ago): you'll need one chicken breast per 2 people. Butterfly/halve each breast and lightly pound to about 1cm thickness. Dredge in well seasoned flour.

Heat frying pan, and add enough oil (your choice, I use olive oil) to lightly coat the bottom of the pan. Saute the breasts until lightly browned (about 2-3 minutes per side). Remove chicken and set aside. Deglaze the pan with about 100 ml of sweet Marsala wine. Add some butter and a good handful of sliced mushrooms per person. Cook the mushrooms until done to your taste. Remove the mushrooms and add in about 250 ml of cream (more if you want more sauce), a couple of sprigs of thyme, a small sprig of sage and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for about 6-8 minutes or until cream is reduced and thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.

Remove the thyme and sage, return chicken to pan and turn it over so both sides are coated with sauce. Return mushrooms to top the chicken and spoon some more of the sauce over it all. At this point, I usually cover with a lid and turn off the heat. The chicken will re-warm through and this gives me the time to finish making salad dressing or to finish the vegetables or other things that need last minute attention in the meal.

ETA: I see versions of this mentioned upthread a few times. It is a great dish!

Edited by Audrey
  • Like 1

Here's a couple chicken dishes I rarely make not because they are hard, but the calorie load calls for special occasion. 

Aussie  Chicken ( All recipes) http://allrecipes.com/recipe/18775/aussie-chicken/?e11=aussie%20chicken&prop24=SR_Title&e8=Quick%20Search&event8=1&e7=Home%20Page&event10=1

Monterey Chicken - http://kimmccrary.blogspot.com/2010/05/perfect-day.html