Menu

Teaching Euclid

I was given a present of a $25.00 gift card to Amazon to buy a journal for Euclid. Help me pick one?

I think I want blank pages, rather than lined or grid.

I'd personally go with blank, but the dot grid probably would be nice too.

Some Euclids have a totally different sets of definitions and postulates and axioms. Even Green Lion and Byrne don't match.

What do you all do about that?

Really interesting! I wonder why that is. I have the Green Lion text. It's enough for me to try to work through that so I haven't even begun to think about other editions! Lol

• Like 1

Green Lion and Byrne's don't match. And the pages of C. P. Mason that I printed out don't match either of them. I think the Indian videos might match Green Lion.

I had canceled the book I first ordered and ordered the Green Lion Bones version instead. I think I'm going to use The Bones as my default set of definitions and such since it is the smallest book on the market and I think I can hold onto a copy.

I really need to find out more about what the differences are based on. I think in the 1800s it was common for school versions to have some stuff rearranged. I get that. But even Byrne and Green Lion do not match; I wonder if they are off different Greek manuscripts.

Edited by Hunter

I found a copy of a Hall and Stevens Euclid mentioned as being used by CM schools.

https://jscholarship.library.jhu.edu/handle/1774.2/34173

EDIT. This one might just be another copy of the Hall book available at Google. I'm confused if there is more than one Hall book and what is said to have been used.

Edited by Hunter

Access to videos is really helping me. I'm probably going to have a big reduction in my access to wifi in a couple weeks, so I'm trying to watch as many videos as I can now.

There is an online textbook and study guide above I saved to pdf, so I will have that, even without wifi. The course is by a community college teacher. I don't see anything not covered in that CC Euclid course that is needed to graduate for most 2 year CC degrees. Transfer is a whole other issue. But anything required to transfer is always available at the CC and usually for credit and not as remedial. And I no longer worry about ME providing things needed to transfer; that isn't my job in life.

I am really enjoying my Euclid studies, right now.

I think in the 1800s it was common for school versions to have some stuff rearranged. I get that. But even Byrne and Green Lion do not match; I wonder if they are off different Greek manuscripts.

I wonder if then the subject "Euclid" didn't mean "A more or less literal translation of Euclid's Elements", but meant more like "Geometry, generally, perhaps more or less loosely modeled from Euclid"?

• Like 1

I wonder if then the subject "Euclid" didn't mean "A more or less literal translation of Euclid's Elements", but meant more like "Geometry, generally, perhaps more or less loosely modeled from Euclid"?

I'm trying to do more research. There are different translations and manuscripts they are based off of, just like Bible controversy. It is making it hard to jump from one good study guide or notes to another though.

I love the Waldorf drawings.  Here's a link to some of their free ebooks from their web site that can be helpful.  I do not follow the Waldorf philosophy, but how can one ignore the beautiful drawings.

• Like 1

Hunter, you might consider this edition - translated by Thomas Heath - it has all the greats in it. :) This is the one I own.

Here's Euclid's book by itself.  This is the book our library has.

Thanks!

I am still trying to figure out how we have books that are so different. Dover is Heath? I think Barnes and Nobles might be too. I have been looking at lots of Heath stuff today. Or at least what I think is Heath.

I am in full OCD mode trying to figure out the big picture here and skimming huge volumes of texts. Skimming gives me motion sickness.  :ack2: 

Hunter, you might consider this edition - translated by Thomas Heath - it has all the greats in it. :) This is the one I own.

Here's Euclid's book by itself.  This is the book our library has.

I asked my library to buy the one your library bought. It looks almost the same as the Green Lion Press edition, but is an inch smaller all around and about 120 pages shorter.

I think I want a stripped down version of Heath. A lot of the best supplements seemed keyed to Heath.

Byrne didn't just substitute colors for letters. He combined some of the formal divisions of a proposition. I don't think Byrne will work for me as the primary text, as I think I want to cover the formal divisions.

This video covers the six formal divisions.

More on the divisions

http://themathpage.com/aBookI/propI-1.htm#formal

Heath explaining the formal divisions

https://books.google.com/books?id=i0g0AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA370&lpg=PA370&dq=formal+divisions+of+a+proposition&source=bl&ots=5dyMwG0_y8&sig=mRJQF8MpcadSgPxNaTseazI0j10&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwit5Pre1a3PAhWG6CYKHc23Cc4Q6AEISzAL#v=onepage&q=formal%20divisions%20of%20a%20proposition&f=false

Someone above said it was easier to read Byrne than read cursive, but *I* am really struggling with it. I have read the cursive of half-blind people and people that spoke English as a second language, easier than this.

Edited by Hunter

• 9 months later...
  • 10 months later...