Menu

Teaching Euclid

I'm finding some great free and low cost stuff for teaching Euclid, so I'm starting a thread. It is going to take me a bit to add all the links. If you have ones you like, please add them. If you have seriously self-educated or taught Euclid, please share. If you have anything to say at all, please do. If you have no words and want to just post emoticons, go ahead. :D

I'm really drawn to spending time on Euclid for its ability to be a book that can be bonded with like a favorite novel or holy book. It seems like some people have a life-long love-affair with this book.

This book review of Euclid is inspiring. 

Edited by Hunter
  • Like 6

I think I'm going to use Euclid Explained to Beginners as my main text.

Free pdf

https://books.google.com/books?id=fjcDAAAAQAAJ&dq=euclid+explained+to+beginners&source=gbs_navlinks_s

I'm thinking of getting this paperback version.

https://www.amazon.com/First-Second-Euclid-Explained-Beginners/dp/B01CCZJHMM/ref=sr_1_12?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1474147211&sr=1-12

Edited by Hunter

Samuel Blumenfeld,my hero, yes, yes, I know you are all sick of hearing about my buddy Sam. He recommends starting with Hill's First Lessons in Geometry. This book does a great job of introducing the vocabulary that will be encountered in Euclid.

https://books.google.com/books/about/First_lessons_in_geometry.html?id=RoEAAAAAMAAJ

Sam on Geometry

http://www.home-school.com/Articles/the-history-of-geometry-education.php

Ambleside Online is starting do more and more Euclid. That is good for everyone, because whatever AO is doing with PD books results in cheap editions being offered at Amazon. Go AO with the Euclid stuff!  :driving: 

http://afterthoughtsblog.net/2012/11/teaching-euclid-in-homeschool-part-i-by.html

http://afterthoughtsblog.net/2012/11/teaching-euclid-in-homeschool-part-ii.html

• Like 1

Thank you, Hunter!

Studying Euclid is on my bucket list, so these resources are fantastic!

Could you add tags to this thread? geometry, Euclid

The original poster can add a tag to the 1st post.
Underneath the Topic Title, is a field for "Topic Tags".
Just add the tags there.
As far as I know, only the original poster can add tags to the 1st post.

The original poster can later edit the original post and add additional tags.

To add tags, go the your 1st  post, click on edit.

Underneath the Topic Title is a field for "Topic Tags". Just add the tags there.

• Like 2

I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I think this is awesome. I LOVE Euclid. Love him. I bought the Elements on a whim after a mention in a talk by Andrew Kern (it was several years ago, so I don't remember which one) and started working through the book. It's really slow going because my time is severely limited, but every time I open the book and work through a proposition it's like taking a deep breath of cold mountain air. It's absolutely invigorating! I've hardly made a dent in the book, but I can see the way it has affected my thought process and has made it clearer than before.

Each proposition builds on the previous ones, and while they're not too hard to understand in a first read through the building on each other starts to become more complex as you get further in. At first I just read through and moved on, but now I make myself work through each prop until I can prove it myself, without referring back to the book before moving on. That has helped tremendously.

Edited by Mrs. A
  • Like 5

Watching hours of videos today is giving me a good overview and context to make better choices in what I want to study/teach and buy.

Okay, so Euclid is the 2nd most popular book ever after the Bible. And how many of us were taught it? I don't get it. I don't. Sure most of us had some geometry, but we were never taught the BOOK as a BOOK. We never saw it as a whole. We were not taught literature appreciation and the history and all the people influenced by it. I feel cheated. Seriously cheated.

I have wifi for at least a few more weeks. And I don't have money for a book. This is good. I need to drown in the early videos and history and foundational definitions, axioms and postulates. And watch some constructions and propositions even if I don't fully understand them just to get some context before trying to read the book.

Then I'll get a nice new book to dive into, when I don't have wifi and it is getting cold outside.

Am I missing something or does this not make sense that this book is not still more popular?

I saw a video that gave an overview of all 13 books. I know see that Ray's Practical arithmetic was preparing for Euclid. The practical arithmetics, the beginner algebras that were patterned after the practical arithmetics, and Euclid were all designed to be used together. I see that now. I had earlier on clued into the strong link between the practical arithmetics and the algebras, but now I see the expectation of later Euclid.

It is awesome for us that India DOES teach a lot of Euclid to their 9th graders and there is a lot of free stuff from that online.

For poor people, the support to do Euclid is pretty extensive. With the book not ever being updated, every scrap of support matches the text perfectly, whether it was produced in India yesterday or in England 150 years ago. We are at such a pinnacle of support for this book, old and new.

• Like 4

Thank you, Hunter!

Studying Euclid is on my bucket list, so these resources are fantastic!

Could you add tags to this thread? geometry, Euclid

The original poster can add a tag to the 1st post.

Underneath the Topic Title, is a field for "Topic Tags".

Just add the tags there.

As far as I know, only the original poster can add tags to the 1st post.

The original poster can later edit the original post and add additional tags.

To add tags, go the your 1st  post, click on edit.

Underneath the Topic Title is a field for "Topic Tags". Just add the tags there.

Did I get the tags, right?

• Like 1

I'm excited about learning and teaching this book. I get happy over things I know I can teach even when I and my life are a mess, and that have lasting grounding value.

I have switched to a more novel based curriculum, partly because of the cozy feeling that washes over one when walking into any store or library and seeing books that one has read. I haven't gotten that from math so much. Euclid offers us a math classic. There are books we have in a little pile, like the Bible and Handbook of Nature Study, that just are forever books. I'm happy to have a math book that is a forever book.

I like it when a new-to-me book strengthens what I have already been doing, instead of competing with it. This book is filling in holes and playing so nicely with everything else. I even have it scheduled for a year that is ancient history. To read Euclid in his own words alongside Caesar and other ancient authors in their own words is a gift. And to have so much free support to do it.

One of my boys did some math in Greek, but we were so busy translating the Greek and struggling with the differences in the Greek number system, that so much of what is best about Euclid went right over my head. I missed the whole. Entirely.

Oh! I need to post that link!

• Like 2

Euclid in Koine Greek with Koine language lessons.

http://mysite.du.edu/~etuttle/classics/nugreek/contents.htm#conts

This dialect of Greek is similar enough to Biblical Koine that you can study them alongside each other. We did with no problems. And the Greek math vocabulary was such a nice addition to all the Bible words.

But the whole of Euclid just went right over my head, somehow. I guess I was just overwhelmed.

I know my son had the Dover book, as well as some Loeb bilingual Greek math books. Some of it he did on his own. I don't know. I just wasn't as blown away as I am now. I think maybe all the support is the difference. The old and the middle and the new all combined into a single conversation spanning millennia. It was cool to link to the ancient past, but the link was superficial. I think the 1800s chatty texts and art texts and the modern videos from across the ocean and with a deep accent are contributing something significant for me.

You can also read it at below links. My kids read Flatland and the Oliver Byrne version of Euclid.

Webpage link http://www.geom.uiuc.edu/~banchoff/Flatland/

PDF link https://ia802708.us.archive.org/9/items/flatlandromanceo00abbouoft/flatlandromanceo00abbouoft.pdf

I have never read flatland in its entirety. That is another book DS took to his room to tackle alone when I couldn't keep up with him.

Is the 2007 movie the same as the book? Does the movie prepare for or spoil the book?

Does the Byrne hardcopy have the same antiquated s/f thing going on as the free pdf? Did you find that difficult?

I was planning on use Byrne, then planned on doing another edition, but now I'm looking at Byrne again, now that I'm wanting all 13 books.

This is another one that my kids and I like for very slow reading. The Greek and English version is side by side so my kids have fun comparing

EUCLID’S ELEMENTS OF GEOMETRY

The Greek text of J.L. Heiberg (1883–1885) from Euclidis Elementa, edidit et Latine interpretatus est I.L. Heiberg, in aedibus

B.G. Teubneri, 1883–1885

edited, and provided with a modern English translation, by Richard Fitzpatrick

http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/Books/Euclid/Elements.pdf

• Like 2

Is the 2007 movie the same as the book? Does the movie prepare for or spoil the book?

Does the Byrne hardcopy have the same antiquated s/f thing going on as the free pdf? Did you find that difficult?.

I did not watch the movie so I have no idea.

The Byrne hard copy is lovely. My library has the edition linked below and it is antiquated. We have to mentally translate some letters but it was enjoyment since we were just doing for enrichment, no test or exams to take on Euclid. What I do like is that even a young child can look at the visuals and enjoy the explanations without worrying about what he/she may not understand yet.

https://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/classics/all/06724/facts.byrne_six_books_of_euclid.htm

ETA:

My kids are quirky though. They look at math books and admire the illustrations like an art form.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

This is another one that my kids and I like for very slow reading. The Greek and English version is side by side so my kids have fun comparing

EUCLID’S ELEMENTS OF GEOMETRY

The Greek text of J.L. Heiberg (1883–1885) from Euclidis Elementa, edidit et Latine interpretatus est I.L. Heiberg, in aedibus

B.G. Teubneri, 1883–1885

edited, and provided with a modern English translation, by Richard Fitzpatrick

http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/Books/Euclid/Elements.pdf

That is a nice clean copy! Even for a students that know no Greek or Latin, I like them to see books written in Greek and Latin.

I fell into our quirky ways gradually and sometimes lost track of how different they were. I remember DS reading aloud to a younger cousin from the Loebs one day many years ago and saw how that experience almost overwhelmed the younger child. That ancient people wrote books at all, and books that are still relevant to us. That day changed his whole perception of history and mankind and time and I don't know what else. He was hit in minutes by what my DS's and I had been introduced to more gradually.

I think a few days on the Greek alphabet and a few Greek vocabulary words and then using a bilingual page or two with the studied vocabulary words underlined is a precious opportunity.

Is Lulu the only place to buy a hardcopy?

http://www.lulu.com/shop/richard-fitzpatrick/euclids-elements/paperback/product-4205855.html

Thanks for that link!

I did not watch the movie so I have no idea.

The Byrne hard copy is lovely. My library has the edition linked below and it is antiquated. We have to mentally translate some letters but it was enjoyment since we were just doing for enrichment, no test or exams to take on Euclid. What I do like is that even a young child can look at the visuals and enjoy the explanations without worrying about what he/she may not understand yet.

https://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/classics/all/06724/facts.byrne_six_books_of_euclid.htm

ETA:

My kids are quirky though. They look at math books and admire the illustrations like an art form.

I see Byrne is the first 6 books. I had thought it was all 13. I thought I didn't want a complete copy, but I think I do. 

As the number 2 book in the world, I guess, like the Bible, any true fan of the book might own more than one edition.

I both like and dislike the less need for words with Byrne.

Byrne, like a Greek edition, is a must see for every student, and a chance to color code their own drawings.

Edited by Hunter

I'm realizing that when choosing a Euclid edition and how much of it I want to teach, I can draw off of my past choices of a Bible translation, arithmetic curriculum, and how much art to teach. I realize I have spent years narrowing down similar choices and what underlies my choices applies to my choices for Euclid.

I think I know what I want to do. Less is more. A solid foundation and context and application. Prepare the student to teach themselves instead of trying to teach it all. I cannot hold onto personal possessions to save my life. :lol: TITLES can be forever titles to me, but investing in a forever physical item is useless. Lots of Principle Approach and Waldorf type notebooking.

• Like 1

Euclid's Elements Redux

http://starrhorse.com/euclid/

"Euclid's 'Elements' Redux" is an open textbook on mathematical logic and geometry based on Euclid's "Elements" for use in grades 7-12 and in undergraduate college courses on proof writing.

Many problem solvers throughout history wrestled with Euclid as part of their early education including Copernicus, Kepler, Galileo, Sir Isaac Newton, Ada Lovelace, Abraham Lincoln, Bertrand Russell, and Albert Einstein. This edition is part of an effort to ensure that tomorrow's great thinkers will have that same privilege.

Volume I contains Books I-III, and Volume II contains Books IV-VIII.

Current versions:
PDF: 2016-219
Volume I: 2016-145 (Amazon mistakenly lists 2016-098)
Volume II: 2016-169

Completed New edition in two volumes

… every time I open the book and work through a proposition …

… but now I make myself work through each prop until I can prove it myself, …

Mrs. A, 

Could you please explain what specifically you mean by "work through a proposition"? I think this is what I would like to do myself, but don't know quite what to do.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Thank you! Geometry is definitely an area I need to review learn. I studied geo in 9th grade, and even got good grades, but I was constantly confused by what I saw as the arbitrary lists of theorems, corollaries, laws, etc. that comprised proofs. If I can somehow tie everything together I will be a much more effective teacher when my kids are studying geometry.  :thumbup1:

• Like 1

I have nothing to add regarding teaching Euclid. I just wanted to say how much I love and look forward to your posts Hunter. I so wish I could sit and chat with you someday...Thank you so much for all the time you spend collecting resources and sharing your wisdom. 

I'm meeting one of you all this week and I am so excited!

Thank you! Geometry is definitely an area I need to review learn. I studied geo in 9th grade, and even got good grades, but I was constantly confused by what I saw as the arbitrary lists of theorems, corollaries, laws, etc. that comprised proofs. If I can somehow tie everything together I will be a much more effective teacher when my kids are studying geometry.  :thumbup1:

Exactly. I want to be a more effective teacher. I've done geometry and taught geometry, but I was always flying by the seat of my pants, not understanding the big picture, in a rush, and distracted.

It is nice to think that once I am better prepared, that I will be able to print out a few pages or grab the cheapest possible copy of Euclid hopefully found on the shelves at a big bookstore if necessary, and have something important and cozy to teach for math.

I like that much of Euclid can be introduced to students that are far "behind" in math. It can be a real boost of confidence for a behind kid to lug around a big tome of Euclid and really know what some of it says and sit down and show it to others. It really is a book for all ability levels. All can participate on some level.

• Like 1

I like that much of Euclid can be introduced to students that are far "behind" in math. It can be a real boost of confidence for a behind kid to lug around a big tome of Euclid and really know what some of it says and sit down and show it to others. It really is a book for all ability levels. All can participate on some level.

That is a good point. I learned next to nothing about geometry in elementary and middle school, then was bombarded with nothing but theorems for a year. It would have been nice to have information introduced slowly over the years, giving time to internalize the ideas and develop some intuition. 

• Like 1

I don't know the age group you're teaching, but these are fun for younger ones.

Hands-On-Geometry

Geometry for Elementary School

Compass Drawings

Thank you to everyone that posts links. Young stuff is good. One of my favorite parts of Euclid is that it can be done with all ages and abilities.

I often use the Bible with my lowest level students because it is a grownup book but there are all sorts of resources to teach it to lower level students. I love the NIrV Bible for copywork!

I see the potential for Euclid to accomplish some of the same thing.

At this point I am thinking of buying the Green Lion Bones edition and the ridiculous mess of the Barnes and Noble edition. I don't expect to be able to hold on to that big book for long, but while I do, I think it is a confidence boost to students to have worksheets like the links above, to have the Bones to look at, and then to get the chance to officially be working from the big book after they already know how to do what is in it. To be able to claim that page as having done it.

I've been taking a break from tutoring, but I know just the student that is SOOOO going to love Euclid. :lol: The big book. The ridiculous big B&N book.

Edited by Hunter

That is a good point. I learned next to nothing about geometry in elementary and middle school, then was bombarded with nothing but theorems for a year. It would have been nice to have information introduced slowly over the years, giving time to internalize the ideas and develop some intuition. 

It appears that Charlotte Mason and most urban teachers and tutors of her time taught Euclid all along, and most upper years teaching arithmetic, geometry, and algebra every year.

There are free PD books aimed at the younger students. Some are more complicated than necessary. Even back then there was over-complication of the curriculum, especially what was aimed at the more affluent.

• Like 1

I went to a couple bookstores this afternoon.

Most of you are married, but I'm just saying, going into some bookstores and asking a male clerk if they have Euclid will get you some attention. :lol:

B&N had their ridiculous volume. I had forgotten how much Greek is in there.

The other bookstore sells a lot of Dover books but did not have Euclid. But there I was told about this book.

Philosophy of Mathematics and Deductive Structure in Euclid's Elements by Ian Mueller

https://www.amazon.com/Philosophy-Mathematics-Deductive-Structure-Elements/dp/0486453006

• Like 1

Mrs. A,

Could you please explain what specifically you mean by "work through a proposition"? I think this is what I would like to do myself, but don't know quite what to do.

Thanks.

Basically I read it through, then go about proving it myself by writing down each step with words and drawing the diagram step by step. Does that make sense? Edited by Mrs. A
  • Like 2