Menu

I'm 18 And I Never Attended School

Thank you. And yeah, I did the full course through a driving school. It cost over $500, which is the main reason I'm trying a different DMV. My sister is 32.

I think if you have the letter from the driving school that is really all you need. Please let us know how it goes today. If it doesn't work we will brainstorm another way. Quitting is not an option!

• Like 3

I got my license. Apparently the woman at the first DMV didn't know what she was talking about. I'll carry on, sorry for sort of breaking down on here (and resurrecting an old thread) it was a really bad day.

Congratulations!!!

Breaking down and resurrecting old threads? Who cares? Getting your license is a big deal! The first of many successes, I'm sure.

• Like 6

Way to go, Van.  And don't worry about breaking down.  Just hang out in the education board in February and you will read about a lot of homeschool moms breaking down and ready to throw in the towel :laugh: !

Onward and upward.  Just remember, there will be setbacks along the way, because, well, that is how life works.  Try not to get discouraged when they do come.  And, if you do, come on back here.  We're always open!

• Like 10

Well my next step is getting a car, getting a job, all while studying for a few CLEP exams. Maybe even an AP exam if that's possible.

Sounds like a plan!

It is possible to self-study for AP's, the only tricky bit can be finding a place to take the test. You'll want to contact local high schools (public and private) well in advance of test administration in May to reserve a seat for yourself. I believe you can find a list of schools that administer AP exams on the college board sight. Some are happy to let outside students test and others are not--they're not required to find a seat for a student not from their school. If one school says no though you just try a different school; some of the parents who have navigated this themselves would be happy to help.

Congratulations on the drivers licence, that's a huge step! (I didn't get mine until I was nearly 21...)

Edited by maize

I got my license. Apparently the woman at the first DMV didn't know what she was talking about. I'll carry on, sorry for sort of breaking down on here (and resurrecting an old thread) it was a really bad day.

Van, on the contrary, we are glad to help you through that bad patch, even if all we did was send out prayers and good vibes.  Please keep us updated.  

Here would be handy, because otherwise I might not notice an update.  

• Like 3

Van, GREAT JOB! Don't worry about melting down here. You will not be the first young adult/student we've mentored and cheer leaded for and probably not the last. We had a young lady several years ago that was self schooling to get ready for college/vo-tech, and we loved having her on the board.

Now you keep us apprised of your progress, ask all the questions you want, and we'll do what we can to help.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

How are things going Van1998?

In case he doesn't see this to answer, I'll update. I've offered to tutor Van and he's working through Lial's BCM trying to fill some gaps before starting Algebra. We've worked a little on his essay writing and as pp's in this thread guessed, his writing is already very close to being college ready. We've looked into the local CC and their entrance requirements and are working toward being able to create a homeschool diploma and getting him ready for placement exams. 

• Like 29

• 5 years later...