Menu

AoPS?? And/Or general high school math question?

I am also curious about this, and I've not heard this before.  What specifically do you mean by this?  (Not offended or anything, just curious.)  

Not sure if you're asking me or Woodland Mist. I can't speak to it a whole lot, as it's more something my DH felt about the curriculum. And, again, neither of us has actually held the books in our hands. DH read all of the online samples, and we watched some of the videos. Every math text has a way of asking questions that tends to reflect that particular text. In that sense, they're all a little quirky. AND, as Arcadia mentioned, that's why it's important to mix it up a bit. 

• Like 1

Not sure if you're asking me or Woodland Mist. I can't speak to it a whole lot, as it's more something my DH felt about the curriculum. And, again, neither of us has actually held the books in our hands. DH read all of the online samples, and we watched some of the videos. Every math text has a way of asking questions that tends to reflect that particular text. In that sense, they're all a little quirky. AND, as Arcadia mentioned, that's why it's important to mix it up a bit. 

Ah, yes, now I get it.  It seems like the AoPSers on my MathCounts team insist on figuring out some way to multiple a couple of nasty 2 or 3 digit numbers without using a calculator.  Factor out something or distribute something else.  "78 is just 2 less than 80 so..."  Anything but use a calculator!  

• Like 1

Ah, yes, now I get it.  It seems like the AoPSers on my MathCounts team insist on figuring out some way to multiple a couple of nasty 2 or 3 digit numbers without using a calculator.  Factor out something or distribute something else.  "78 is just 2 less than 80 so..."  Anything but use a calculator!  

A calculator!   :eek:   :auto:  DS was doing this today, so I know exactly what you're talking about.

Edited by melmichigan
  • Like 1