Menu

Just for fun: name three "must have" personal care / cosmetics products

Greta

My brand-loyal items:

Nioxin Intensive Therapy Hair Masque - other conditioners leave me frizzy.

Right now I'm addicted to Shea Nation's Coconut and Hibiscus hand and body scrub, and the massage oil, these are just from the drug store, but I love them both.

Glass by Redken, to tame the frizzies, but I think they've discontinued it, aaaaack!

ETA:  I'm still looking for a new BB, if anyone has a recommendation!  :)

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 2

Assuming this list goes beyond basic hygiene items like deodorant and toothpaste...

Paula's Choice skincare

Burts Bees pomegranate lip balm

Neutrogena BB balm, lightly tinted with SPF 30.

(+ A decent, non clumping but thickening and dark mascara that comes off easily but not too easily if such a thing existed, for my 4th item)

I really like Paula's Choice tinted sunscreen in summer, but weirdly it dries out my skin so I can only use it when it's quite humid, and not at all in winter.

I'm very intrigued by that Clinique lipstick mentioned up thread--it looks terrifying! :)

• Like 1

I too am a very low maintenance person when it comes to personal products, but I can't just do three:

1.  shampoo - alternate between Head and Shoulders and Trader Joe's Tea Tree shampoo

2.  toothpaste - usually Tom's

3.  Cortaid for when I get eczema break outs

4.  tweezers - because of menopause

5.  Australian dream arthritis cream - because sometimes at night my knees ache and I can't sleep.

6.  Secret deodorant

• Like 1

Assuming this list goes beyond basic hygiene items like deodorant and toothpaste...

Paula's Choice skincare

Burts Bees pomegranate lip balm

Neutrogena BB balm, lightly tinted with SPF 30.

(+ A decent, non clumping but thickening and dark mascara that comes off easily but not too easily if such a thing existed, for my 4th item)

I really like Paula's Choice tinted sunscreen in summer, but weirdly it dries out my skin so I can only use it when it's quite humid, and not at all in winter.

I'm very intrigued by that Clinique lipstick mentioned up thread--it looks terrifying! :)

For mascara, Smashbox X-rated.

Clinique Black Honey is amazing. Looks scary but it is not and it looks good on just about everyone.

Edited by Miss Peregrine
  • Like 2

My must-haves are:

CeraVe PM lotion (I use it morning and night. Love it!)

Retin A cream 0.1% (prescription--keeps acne and wrinkles at bay...which should NOT have to be dealt with at the same time IMHO!)

Redken Magentics shampoo & conditioner

If I could extend my list beyond 3, I would add Alba Unscented Moisturing Lotion and Dr.Bronner's Liquid Soap-Baby Unscented.

ETA: correct typo

Edited by mmasc
  • Like 1

Not idiotic, I didn't think of it until I tried the Poise Impressa and realized Diva cup would do the same thing for free.  It is "inserted into the vagina like a tampon to gently lift and give support to the urethra. This added support to the urethra helps prevent urine from leaking."  Here is the visual

Ahh!!  Very interesting, thank you!  I may look into this.  :)

Retinol, vitamin C serum, anthelios sunscreen (euro formulation), labello tinted lipbalm, and olaplex for hair. That's more than three but I'm not a math person :)

Eta that my true must-have is this Korean (?) BB cream which used to be really hard to source but Sephora apparently carries now!

Tell me more about the Vit C serum!  What does it do for your skin?

Clinique Black Honey is amazing. Looks scary but it is not and it looks good on just about everyone.

Yes, it looks black in the tube, but it goes on so sheer that on me it comes out a nice berry color.  I've heard that it looks a little different on different people.

• Like 3

Tell me more about the Vit C serum! What does it do for your skin?

It's proven to increase collagen production. Basically that and retinoids are the only things that work (though my skin does really well with acids as well, like the mandelic one from MUAC).

Anyway you need to get a stable one or make your own. They used to be expensive (owing to the stuff added to make them stable) but now there's a ton. There's a timeless something one on Amazon that is good. If $ is no object then there's a ferulic C and E serum by skinceuticals that used to be the gold standard if I recall. Or you make your own from powder every three days, store in fridge. I don't do this anymore because I'm not a science person either ;)

Wear on bare skin in the morning, put moisturizer/sunscreen on top.

• Like 2

It's proven to increase collagen production. Basically that and retinoids are the only things that work (though my skin does really well with acids as well, like the mandelic one from MUAC).

Anyway you need to get a stable one or make your own. They used to be expensive (owing to the stuff added to make them stable) but now there's a ton. There's a timeless something one on Amazon that is good. If $ is no object then there's a ferulic C and E serum by skinceuticals that used to be the gold standard if I recall. Or you make your own from powder every three days, store in fridge. I don't do this anymore because I'm not a science person either ;)

Wear on bare skin in the morning, put moisturizer/sunscreen on top.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Now to figure out where to buy them in my small town...

If all else fails, Clinique's own website very frequently has a free gift with purchase type of promotion.  The purchase usually has to be in the $35 range, though, so if that's the only item you want, that may not work.  

ETA:  Oops, not paying attention.  If Sephora carries both items, that's probably the better way to go.

Edited by Greta
  • Like 1

I just checked Clinique's website and the black honey IS the freebie with purchase right now. It's a mini version, and you also get a mini version of the mascara with any $35 purchase. Very tempting! :001_smile:

I didn't see this deal on their website. I only saw some kind of Refresh skin care stuff. Can you link me to the make-up freebies? Thank you!

I didn't see this deal on their website. I only saw some kind of Refresh skin care stuff. Can you link me to the make-up freebies? Thank you!

Aw, man, it seems to have already disappeared!  I remember the code was PRETTY, but I can't find it anywhere now, so I have no idea if it would still work.  I wish they wouldn't change them so fast -- I just saw that this morning and now it's already gone.  Bummer.

Sorry.   :sad:

• Like 1

1. Rosehip seed oil. I use this after swimming for an extra boosting moisturizer. Think about the V-C serum......

2. My personal made body butter with extra emollients that goes deep rather than sitting on the surface of the skin.  This is much better than all of those lotions I've used for years, plus I make it so I know what goes into it.

Argan oil for dry hair from swimming.

• Like 1

• Rosehip seed oil. I use this after swimming for an extra boosting moisturizer. Think about the V-C serum......
  • My personal made body butter with extra emollients that goes deep rather than sitting on the surface of the skin. This is much better than all of those lotions I've used for years, plus I make it so I know what goes into it.
  • Argan oil for dry hair from swimming.

Re: #2 ...You can't post that and not include the recipe...

• Like 1

Love these lists!

Mine are:

1.  CeraVe eye repair cream

2.  Burt's Bees lip balm in fig (although I love the Clinique Black Honey -- I just don't usually buy it bc it is more spendy)

3.  Benefit FakeUp (the only more expensive cosmetic product I buy. I have hereditary dark circles and the skin under my eyes is very sensitive and sometimes very dry.  This is the one product that seems to work nicely for me as an undereye concealer.)

4.  I had to add a 4th:  CoverGirl/Oil of Olay Advanced Radiance foundation

Edited by amsunshinetemp
  • Like 1

Several people mentioned CeraVe moisturizers, so I'll have to try that.  I do love their cleanser!  I think it's the one called hydrating cleanser, anyway it's the one that doesn't lather/foam up.  It leaves my skin clean, but not stripped of ALL moisture the way most cleansers seem to.  Good stuff.

Another CeraVe cleanser user here.  Unfortunately, my face reacts to the moisturizer.

Mabeline BB cream.  It is pretty sheer, but it doesn't break me out and my face looks and feels better while wearing it and after I take it off.  Secret antiperspirant solid in baby powder scent.  CeraVe cleanser.  Depending on the time of year, I switch between the formulas for dry, oily, and normal, but all work well and none break me out.  

Runner ups: Clinique's Black Honey almost lipstick in the silver tube and EvaCup.  

• Like 1

For me, personal products and cosmetics are two different categories.

Personal Products (sorry, but four are absolutely essential):

1) Deodorant: Secret

2) Shampoo/Conditioner: L'Oreal

3) Soap: Bath & Body Works Japanese Cherry Blossom

4) Toothpaste and Brush: Crest ProHealth and Crest Spinbrush

Cosmetics

1) L'Oreal Foundation, Loose Powder, Blush, Mascara, Eye Shadow, Lipstick

2) Equate version of Neutrogena Pump skin cleanser (for shower)

3) Facial Cleansing Wipes (equate version of Oil of Olay wipes)

• Like 1

A&D ointment, the brown kind with lanolin for my feet. I have awful dry cracking feet and this is one of the only things that works. Plain Lanolin also works but it's so horribly sticky. 

A tinted moisturizer with sunscreen for the winter. I like NARS and Laura Mercier and go back and forth depending on which is on sale. 

NARS the multiple in Orgasm. 

• Like 1

Paula's Choice cleanser and BHA

CeraVe moisturizer

Unscented soap and mild scented shampoo, but I have no particular brand loyalty there

I have other favorites but none are as important to me as the above. My very favorite lip gloss was dc'd but there are still tons of choices for the days I remember to actually wear it.

• Like 1

A&D ointment, the brown kind with lanolin for my feet. I have awful dry cracking feet and this is one of the only things that works. Plain Lanolin also works but it's so horribly sticky. 

I'm going to have to try that!  My heels are chronically dry and cracking, and I've tried very heavy creams, pure vaseline, lots of stuff.  It helps, but not a lot.  Thanks for mentioning this.

Costco brand shampoo/conditioner, Kids Crest toothpaste (only one that doesn't make me vomit), ummmm... Barbasol shaving cream? Other than that, I have a razor, bar of soap, whatever face scrub is cheapest, and contact lens solution. I don't have any creams, lotions, makeup, etc.

ETA: It really ticks me off how many things I don't use, and how much I spend at Target anyway.

Edited by BarbecueMom
  • Like 1

Just wanted to thank everyone who posted.  This thread was fun for me because I love these kinds of products, and I'm looking forward to trying some of the things that were listed.  I'm trying a little experiment on myself.  :lol:  Each week, I set aside a small amount of money.  If I stick to my diet and exercise plan for the week, then I get to use that money on fun stuff like these kinds of products (basics like soap, deodorant, and toothpaste not included - I'm buying those either way!).  If I don't stick to my plan, then the money goes to charity instead (and there is already some money budgeted for charity either way too - this would just add to it).  I've only been doing it for a couple of weeks, but I did stick to my diet and exercise plan a lot better those two weeks than the two weeks before!  :D  So, you guys have given me some great ideas for future rewards for good behavior.   :001_smile:

• Like 13

Blistex DCT lip balm: I can't get it in the store anymore, so I order LARGE QUANTITIES online every so often.

Cuticle nippers:  I am a chronic picker.  If I don't have nippers to nip, I will rip off the cuticles to the point I need skin grafts.  Nail clippers don't do a good enough job.

Maybelline Full & Soft Waterproof Mascara: My eyelashes are invisible without mascara and I don't ever go without.  EVER.

Moisturizer with sunscreen.

• Like 1

Just wanted to thank everyone who posted. This thread was fun for me because I love these kinds of products, and I'm looking forward to trying some of the things that were listed. I'm trying a little experiment on myself. :lol: Each week, I set aside a small amount of money. If I stick to my diet and exercise plan for the week, then I get to use that money on fun stuff like these kinds of products (basics like soap, deodorant, and toothpaste not included - I'm buying those either way!). If I don't stick to my plan, then the money goes to charity instead (and there is already some money budgeted for charity either way too - this would just add to it). I've only been doing it for a couple of weeks, but I did stick to my diet and exercise plan a lot better those two weeks than the two weeks before! :D So, you guys have given me some great ideas for future rewards for good behavior. :001_smile:

Brilliant idea!!!!
  • Like 1

Am I the only one who thought about very basic needs when I saw this thread title? By basic, I mean: tampons, toothbrush and toothpaste. I'd add a hairbrush if I could get a fourth! 

I do wear makeup and have some favorite products, but that's not where my mind went when I saw the title. 

• Like 1

Am I the only one who thought about very basic needs when I saw this thread title? By basic, I mean: tampons, toothbrush and toothpaste. I'd add a hairbrush if I could get a fourth! 

I do wear makeup and have some favorite products, but that's not where my mind went when I saw the title. 

Judging by the replies, I don't think you were the only one!  I think I should have worded it differently.

• Like 1

My first thought was that it meant tell us your very favorite brands for 3 items you use a lot.

• Like 1

Love your idea/plan, Greta.

If I'm looking for a fun makeup purchase, I will always get a lipstick. That's my thing. Right now, my favorite one is Bare Minerals Marvelous Moxie. (I also love the Clinique Black Honey but it wears off very quickly on me.) Even if I'm not wearing makeup, I will put on lipstick before I walk out the door. (I even like to wear it in the house even if I'm not going out. :lol: )

A question for those posting/reading -- does anyone use olive oil to nourish their face &/or hands? My skin gets so dry & I'm wondering if this might work.

• Like 2