Menu

Just for fun: name three "must have" personal care / cosmetics products

Greta

I have lots of products that I like and use and don't think about that much.  But then there are a few products that I am loyal to, buy over and over and over again, don't know what I would do if the company stopped making them, that sort of thing. 

1.  Paula's Choice Clear Ultra-Light Daily Fluid SPF 30+.  A sunscreen that somehow doesn't smell like sunscreen and doesn't feel like sunscreen.  It just soaks right in and disappears.  I wear it on my face and neck every single day.

2.  Paula's Choice AHA/BHA exfoliants.  I've tried several and they were all good.  Keeps acne at bay and makes my skin feel really smooth.  I tried another brand once and it didn't work half as well as Paula's.

3.  Clinique Almost Lipstick in "black honey".  I have to thank the ladies on this board for this one!  I have chronically dry and insanely sensitive lips, so finding lipstick that I can tolerate is no small task.  This one has a nice berry color that looks good on me, and it feels more like lip balm than lipstick.  And since it's fragrance-free, no irritation.  Love this stuff!

What are your favorites?

• Like 3

1. Coconut oil.  It's the only moisturizer I use on my face (well, that or olive oil) and it's outstanding.

2. Burt's Bees tinted lip gloss.  It's light enough but just right to bring a bit of color to my face.

3. LUSH shampoo bar.  These things are amazing for travel.  One small tin in the backpack and I don't worry about going through security.  Not to mention cutting down the amount of stuff I take to community shower rooms.  I love, love, love it.

• Like 2

Now I want to try all your favorites, Greta! I've been hunting for a sunscreen that doesn't smell like sunscreen, I have acne that is hard to keep "at bay," as you put it, and I hate the texture of lipstick but love the texture of lip balm and I like a little color on my lips. I'm sold!

My 3 favorites are:

1. Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Lavender Mint Shampoo

2. St. Ives Timeless Skin Collagen Elastin Moisturizer

3. Lush bath bombs

• Like 1

Burts Bees lip moisturizer, CeraVe moisturizer, my Oral-B electric toothbrush.

I wear makeup and am loyal to a few other things but those are my most important and most used products. I have recently developed a pretty bad case of rosacea, so I'm waiting on a derm appointment to figure out what the heck is going on there.  

• Like 1

Yes to Carrots black charcoal soap (because I got pimples when I hit 40)

That toothpaste for sensitive teeth

Diva cup for incontinence

.... Boy is my list less glamorous that it used to be!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Oh, this is tough.

I'm counting ALL my Paula's Choice products as number ONE.  LOL

Two: I finally found the blush of my dreams:  Ulta Mineral Blush (in Peony :) )

Three: The L'Oreal Hair Expertise line of products.  I use several like the EverPure, EverStrong, and EverCreme

For personal care, I cannot live without a good pair of tweezers, Q-tips (I HATE feeling wet in my ears after showering or swimming so I always swab them quickly, I can't help it. lol), sponge foundation applicators, and cotton balls (for toner, removing nail polish, etc.)

OK, I'm going to add Garnier Nutrisse Nourishing Hair Color Creme, #82 Champagne Blonde.

• Like 1

If I actually HAD much of an opportunity to use my Diva Cup, I'd probably rank it up there. (Thank you, extended breastfeeding.)

I'm not very into beauty routines or makeup, but I guess I'd say:

CeraVe hand cream for my chronically dry eczema-ish skin.

Suave conditioner, because it's affordable (I use a ton because of my very long hair), works well, doesn't have added silicones, and smells good on my hair.

Handmade soap from this Etsy seller (who is admittedly a very close friend of mine), but the soap (especially the vanilla) smells amazing, is affordable, and works very well. A little touch of luxury. I don't like when I run out. https://www.etsy.com/shop/InfiniteCreationsPa

• Like 3

Several people mentioned CeraVe moisturizers, so I'll have to try that.  I do love their cleanser!  I think it's the one called hydrating cleanser, anyway it's the one that doesn't lather/foam up.  It leaves my skin clean, but not stripped of ALL moisture the way most cleansers seem to.  Good stuff.

• Like 1

Now I want to try all your favorites, Greta! I've been hunting for a sunscreen that doesn't smell like sunscreen, I have acne that is hard to keep "at bay," as you put it, and I hate the texture of lipstick but love the texture of lip balm and I like a little color on my lips. I'm sold!

My 3 favorites are:

1. Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Lavender Mint Shampoo

2. St. Ives Timeless Skin Collagen Elastin Moisturizer

3. Lush bath bombs

I had been using a different sunscreen from Paula's Choice, but since my daughter hates the smell of sunscreen I asked them if they had one that didn't have that odor.  They're so nice that they sent me a rather large free sample of it for her to try.  I liked it so much that I switched too!

I believe that Paula recommends BHA if you have acne, but honestly I feel like either one (AHA too) really helps.  Both are available in different strengths, and different textures (lotions, gels).  So I hope you'll find one you like.

The first time I tried to buy the Clinique Almost Lipstick, they were out, and I asked her if they had stopped making it.  She assured me they had not, because they would have a riot on their hands if they ever did.  :lol:  Pretty popular stuff, apparently.  And now I know why.

I'll have to try your faves too!

• Like 1

1. Blistex. I cannot even think about going to bed for the night without it. I have stashes of Blistex all over...office, cars, suitcase.

2. Jojoba oil. My hair cannot be smooth otherwise.

3. A razor. Witnessing me unshaven, those who doubt the evolutionary connection between humans and apes are less certain.

• Like 9

My must haves:

1. Younique shine cloths- removes makeup and moisturizes with oils. I've tried other wipes but these are way softer and don't dry my skin like others do. Plus the oils don't cause me to breakout like some other products.

2. Curel for extra dry skin - my SIL from CO introduced me to this. The only thing that helps with dry winter hands.

3. Coconut oil- I mix fractionated coconut oil and lavender oil and rub it on my feet before I go to bed. Soft feet and I sleep better. Win win!

• Like 3

Well, I'm going to be a little superficial--

1. A good primer. I am a brown-eyed strawberry blonde with lots of freckles. A primer does me a world of good.

2. Nutregena face wipes. To remove said primer at the end of the day.

3. Whatever expensive hair product my hairdresser used this month to tame my frizzy hair. I know I could do it cheaper, but my hairdresser is magic. I pay him too much for where I live, but he is from where I am from, and was recommended to me by a friend at home and he doesn't make my hair look southern like every other hairdresser I tried down here.

• Like 1

1. Acne face wash. Clearasil blackhead cleansing, or something like it. I usually get the generic from Target, and prefer the kind with shell bits for the scrubbies instead of microbeads.

2. shampoo and body wash. This can be a 3 in 1 or 2 in 1 product. I like the convenience of that.

3. Shave cream. I prefer the non-sudsy kind.

Really, those are all I use. Well, and deodorant (Tom's of Maine, unscented, lemongrass, or the woodsy one) and hair gel, but soon I'll be able to skip that, once my hair is long enough for a proper ponytail to stay in place without gelling down stray bits.

• Like 1

I don't use many products at all and I'm always trying to find something that works good for me but doesn't cost me a lot, because I'm cheap. Suave shea and almond butter moisturizing shampoo, and Bee Friendly face cream are what I've stuck with for a while. I've spent years looking for a mascara that doesn't make my eyes feel itchy and my DIL gave me some bare minerals mascara last month that has worked well so far.

• Like 1

TIGI S Factor smoothing lusterizer shampoo and conditioner. Tames my frizzy hair and it feels so soft. 

Le Couvent des Minimes face cream for sensitive skin - doesn't have a strong fragrance and gentle on my skin

Stila color balm lipstick--I love the hint of peppermint because I usually don't like the 'taste' of lipstick

• Like 2

Well, I'm going to be a little superficial--

1. A good primer. I am a brown-eyed strawberry blonde with lots of freckles. A primer does me a world of good.

2. Nutregena face wipes. To remove said primer at the end of the day.

3. Whatever expensive hair product my hairdresser used this month to tame my frizzy hair. I know I could do it cheaper, but my hairdresser is magic. I pay him too much for where I live, but he is from where I am from, and was recommended to me by a friend at home and he doesn't make my hair look southern like every other hairdresser I tried down here.

Pretty please share the name of this magic hair product.

• Like 2

I only have one....Moisturizer. Must be applied within seconds of washing face or getting out of the shower. I generally use Cerave, the cream in a tub, but also like Aveeno Extra Soothing Baby Cream. 

That, plus whatever deodorant I bought recently and I'm good. 

• Like 2

I'm pretty simple: 

1. undereye concealer - right now I'm using ELF brand. I have genetic dark circles and even if I go without makeup, I wear concealer

2. Tweezers - something about turning 40 and chin hairs.

3. Aussie's 3 min miracle the Moisture version - I do not use shampoo (curly girl). I scrub, rinse, and condition. I do use an apple cider vinegar rinse about once a week to avoid build up. This condition is fairly cheap and has worked consistently when others have failed. 

• Like 2

1. Paula's Choice Resist for Oily/combination skin regime. Face wash, toner, BHA exfoliant, and SPF 50 Daily Hydrating Fluid. This set has been great for my skin. I also got a trial size of the 1% Retinol and am looking forward to when I can afford to get the full size so I can use it regularly.

2. Closys mouth rinse, Nature's Gate toothpaste, and electric toothbrush.

3. John Frieda Secret Weapon touch-up creme to keep my hair from frizzing out. It smells really good, too.

• Like 1

I don't get into fancy products of any kind. The exception being Frizz Ease Secret Weapon Touch Up. It's great for those wiry hairs that just frizz to heck.

I didn't see your post when I made mine. This hair stuff is great! I bought this back in the spring and only used it a short time before my DD took it to try. I never saw it again until recently when I was cleaning her room. It has been perfect for this time of year when the humidity makes my short hair go crazy.

• Like 1

As a 46 year old (former sun-worshipper), I'm very interested in skin products.  

These 2 products have made (huge) noticeable differences:

Retin A (prescription .1%)

and

Grass Fed Collagen Peptide powder supplement (I mix it in my yogurt) - Amazon

My new favorite sunscreen:  Elta MD - on Amazon

• Like 2

OK, I have heard this before. How does this work for incontinence?  Is it because it's being held in there and helps with your muscles?  I mean, it's not catching urine, so...? Sorry if this is an idiotic question!

Not idiotic, I didn't think of it until I tried the Poise Impressa and realized Diva cup would do the same thing for free.  It is "inserted into the vagina like a tampon to gently lift and give support to the urethra. This added support to the urethra helps prevent urine from leaking."  Here is the visual

• Like 2

Oh, this is tough.

I'm counting ALL my Paula's Choice products as number ONE.  LOL

Me too! I use so many of her products and they are all essential. My hands down don't-leave-the-house-without is the Resist Super Light Sunscreen. This is my holy grail.

2. Covergirl Lash Blast mascara

3. Mac Pro Longwear foundation

• Like 1

My 3 must haves personal care items:

deodorant,  tooth paste, something to clean my hair/body in the shower.

I do not care about brands or fancy products and am notoriously bad in adhering to any beauty "routine" that I folishly embark on every now and then.

Clean suffices.

I agree with your list, but would add tampons, and toilet paper to the must have list.  

• Like 1

Chapstick.  I can't function without it.  My husband calls it my crackstick because I am so addicted to it. 

Sun Bum sunscreen.  I'm out in the sun a lot with my horses and would be totally fried without it.

OGX Awapuhi Ginger conditioner.  It keeps my hair under control and smells so good!

• Like 1

I have lots of products that I like and use and don't think about that much.  But then there are a few products that I am loyal to, buy over and over and over again, don't know what I would do if the company stopped making them, that sort of thing. 

1.  Paula's Choice Clear Ultra-Light Daily Fluid SPF 30+.  A sunscreen that somehow doesn't smell like sunscreen and doesn't feel like sunscreen.  It just soaks right in and disappears.  I wear it on my face and neck every single day.

2.  Paula's Choice AHA/BHA exfoliants.  I've tried several and they were all good.  Keeps acne at bay and makes my skin feel really smooth.  I tried another brand once and it didn't work half as well as Paula's.

3.  Clinique Almost Lipstick in "black honey".  I have to thank the ladies on this board for this one!  I have chronically dry and insanely sensitive lips, so finding lipstick that I can tolerate is no small task.  This one has a nice berry color that looks good on me, and it feels more like lip balm than lipstick.  And since it's fragrance-free, no irritation.  Love this stuff!

What are your favorites?

Nair.

:glare:

• Like 2

Retinol, vitamin C serum, anthelios sunscreen (euro formulation), labello tinted lipbalm, and olaplex for hair. That's more than three but I'm not a math person :)

Eta that my true must-have is this Korean (?) BB cream which used to be really hard to source but Sephora apparently carries now!

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 1