Menu

Math help needed!!!

Help! My youngest has started school a month ago and is already struggling (!!!) Some parents worst nightmare. I need more resources and BETTER quality resources. I hear Life of Fred is amazing but I haven't had time to do the research. Has anyone else used it? Plus, (now here's the kicker) i'm on a major budget. Anything that is deeply discounted would be the most helpful. Thank you everyone! 

I wouldn't recommend LOF as anything more than a light supplement (although it is fun.) What grade is he in? What specifically is he having struggles with? Number sense? Addition/subtraction? There are a number of excellent, inexpensive (some free) apps you could look into if you want to go that route. Or if you specify the grade and what school is working on, it will be much easier to provide suggestions.

• Like 2

How old is he?  

You may be better served by trying to figure out where the struggles are originating from before hopping curriculum.  It may not be the material so much as where he is at developmentally and what his specific needs are right at this time.  Or it could be the material but knowing WHY he is struggling specifically may help you choose something that is a better fit.

1.  What materials are being used?

2.  Does he have a strong grasp of number sense?

3.  How well does he understand the relationship between the number symbols on a page and actual quantity?

4.  Does he have any sense of place value?

5.  Have you done work with him using manipulatives and real world math experience in his surrounding environment to help him tie the math symbols to the concepts behind the symbols?

6.  Does he have a strong grasp of the meaning behind the language of math (like when he hears add, does he truly know what that means?)?

7.  Does he need a lot of review of a concept/algorithm before it sticks?

8.  Is the material too advanced for where he is at right now?

9.  Is the material too basic and he is bored and disengaged?

If we had more details, you could get better suggestions for what may help.  Huge hugs.  Hang in there.  Deep breaths.  Learning is a process that takes time.  People progress in fits and starts and at different rates.  

• Like 3

I'll third MEP.  It's intensive, but it works.

Also, I'd invest in a set of cuisenaire rods.  You can use the c-rods with Education Unboxed (also free) and Gattegno math.  There's a free copy of book 1 and book 2 online and videos on youtube. If you find yourself needing other manipulatives, you can often make them for free or really cheap.

• Like 1

We're big fans of Math Mammoth in our house, they have complete curriculums by grade level. I struggle helping my kid with math and honestly felt unqualified at one point, but this curriculum has been a lifesaver, has made learning math so much easier and more enjoyable for both of us! No more math tears! :) Best of luck!

http://www.educents.com/search/?q=math+mammoth

• Like 1

I switched my strugglers to RightStart when they were little and have never looked back, but I did get it used and reused it three times so far, which makes it more economical. We don't use it past about book C/D but it is fantastic for kinder up to that point (about third grade).

I will second any good workbook like Math Mammoth or MEP plus Cuisenaire Rods. They're like the most useful manipulative for the money. Hands down.

How exactly is your student struggling? Where is the hangup? You may not even need to change programs so much as adjust how you're approaching it. We may be able to help you troubleshoot with some more specific information on the problem :)

Edited by Arctic Mama

Ahhh thank you ALL so much!!!! These are WONDERFUL suggestions and I'm looking into each and every one! Huge shoutout for this curriculum - math mammoth $180 of a complete math program for grades 1st all the way to 7th!? that's a deal! High quality and homeschool resource, not to mention it looks like it also includes all teacher manuals with the student handbooks. If anyone else looking for a complete math curriculum, this might be a good one to look into - http://www.educents.com/math-mammoth-light-blue-series-cd.html

THANK YOU AGAIN. Keep the thread going for other math suggestions. I'd love for EVERYONE to benefit from this thread, not just me :) I'm sure other parents out there could use the advice too!

• Like 1