Menu

Baked Oatmeal question

whitestavern

I don't fully assemble the baked oatmeal, but I do most of the prep work the night before.  I put all of the dry ingredients into one bowl/measuring cup/tupperware and all of the wet ingredients into another (in the fridge) and in the morning I dump them both into the pan and stir.  Over the weekend I often prep two containers of wet and two containers of dry (often with slightly different mix-ins) and they are fine for several days until I am ready to bake them.

I have also had good luck with cooking steel cut oats in the slow cooker overnight.  This apple pie oatmeal is a huge hit around here.

Wendy

• Like 1

We always make it in the day. You can leave it on the counter or stick it in the frig and have it in the morning. We eat it cold or room temperature. 

This is the recipe we use just in case your baked oatmeal is something different. 

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/51013/baked-oatmeal-ii/

(Note we substitute applesauce for the butter (sometimes all, sometimes just half) and add chopped apples as well. 

• Like 1

Is the consistency of baked oatmeal like normal oatmeal?

Well anyway, I have been doing  1/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats mixed with  1/.4 cup oat bran, 1 tablespoon of soaked chia seeds, 1 tablespoon of ground flax seed, 1 cup or so of water, and one egg all mixed together in a big bowl. Then I nuke in the microwave for 3 minutes and then 2 minutes so there is no spillover. I use a very large pyrex bowl (mixing bowl size) to do this. If I use smaller pyrex bowl then I do 2 minutes and then 30 seconds times 6 for total of 5 minutes.

For my kid, I throw in a handful of raisons and handful of sunflower seeds to cook with it too. Then I top with pinch of cinnamon and1 teaspoon of sugar and milk. For me I just use cinnamon and milk.

Yum!

Has anyone ever assembled a baked oatmeal the evening before, popped it in the fridge, and then cooked it the following morning? The recipe I have consists of oats, nuts, milk, eggs, fruit, etc. Thoughts??

You know, I was just wondering the same thing. Thanks for asking it! Hope someone can answer...

Yes, I have. I mix it up and put it in a 9x13 Pyrex glass pan in the fridge, covered. I set my oven up with the delay feature. I leave a note for my DH, who leaves for work at least an hour before I get up, to take the pan out, uncover it, and put it in the still-cold oven. By the time the oven comes on, the pan has acclimated to room temperature a bit, so I know it won't break, and then it's all ready and cooked when I come down.

I really want to try this in my instant pot using the slow cooker feature too but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Is the consistency of baked oatmeal like normal oatmeal?

No, it's something you can cut in squares, that holds it's shape but is still soft and chewy.  Texturewise, more like an oatmeal cookie, but usually not as sweet.

You can hold it in your hand and eat it, or you can put it in a bowl and pour milk over it.  

I tend to make mine so that it's almost 1/2 frozen mixed berries and cherries, it is very tasty, and very nutritious.

• Like 1

I'm the only one here who eats it. I make myself an 8x8 pan on the weekend and cut it into sixths. Each weekday and Sunday I nuke one section for 30 seconds. I store the rest in the fridge. I like it better this way than when it's fresh out of the oven. I also use a lot of frozen berries--I do 2 cups frozen blueberries and one peeled, diced apple. Together with the applesauce in the recipe, I figure I get one serving of fruit every day in my oatmeal. (Saturday is pancake day here--that's the 7th day).

Edited by Ali in OR