Menu

Derek Owens vs MP - pre algebra

Hi ladies

Does anyone have any opinions about Derek Owens pre-algebra vs the online Memoria Press option using the College of the Redwoods text? We are using Rod and Staff math now. I like the idea of DO because we watch it when we want at our own pace vs having to be at a class at a certain time each week. But will MP actually be a better class for someone using R&S?

Thanks!

We used DO for pre-algebra when you could buy the student books on LuLu and I had a teacher Cd with answers.  I think now you just send work in for grading, but they do offer a non grading option...which is probably what we did with the cd of answers.  I could do the math just fine, so this was a great option.  My kids both did it.  Very different learners and both enjoyed it enough.  I will say, my kids do prefer a face with a voice, and opted not to continue with DO for that reason.  But the pre-algebra was a good course. 

We've only been doing DO for 2 weeks but my daughter is doing very well with it. We did a couple of years of R&S and it was ok but she still struggled. This was more of a function of her needing more time to mature and having some processing issues than R&S. DO is the first program we've used that she hasn't cried almost every day. In fact she hasn't cried once. She stops short of saying she likes it but she did admit it was good and the videos were helpful. That's huge. I almost went with College of the Redwoods but I really needed to move some of the teaching to someone or something else (in this case the videos) to help relieve the tension surrounding math. I watch the videos with her and she takes notes in the workbook. She'll pause the video and ask me a question if she needs help. I went with the 'I grade everything' option because it's a lot cheaper ($29/month instead of $59) and I can do the math without problem so I don't need to pay someone else to do it. 

I know that we have only covered basic material so far so we may still have stress when we get to something that is more confusing to her, but so far DO is my hero.

As an aside - I laughed at the comment from above that Tess in the Burbs left DO because they prefer videos with a face and a voice. My daughter commented on how glad she was that there wasn't a face because she hates that LOL. 

• Like 1

We've only been doing DO for 2 weeks but my daughter is doing very well with it. We did a couple of years of R&S and it was ok but she still struggled. This was more of a function of her needing more time to mature and having some processing issues than R&S. DO is the first program we've used that she hasn't cried almost every day. In fact she hasn't cried once. She stops short of saying she likes it but she did admit it was good and the videos were helpful. That's huge. I almost went with College of the Redwoods but I really needed to move some of the teaching to someone or something else (in this case the videos) to help relieve the tension surrounding math. I watch the videos with her and she takes notes in the workbook. She'll pause the video and ask me a question if she needs help. I went with the 'I grade everything' option because it's a lot cheaper ($29/month instead of $59) and I can do the math without problem so I don't need to pay someone else to do it.

I know that we have only covered basic material so far so we may still have stress when we get to something that is more confusing to her, but so far DO is my hero.

As an aside - I laughed at the comment from above that Tess in the Burbs left DO because they prefer videos with a face and a voice. My daughter commented on how glad she was that there wasn't a face because she hates that LOL.

My DD is just a few weeks into DO Algebra 1 (sorry, I have no experience with his Pre-A), but so far, it is all sunshine and rainbows. She said this morning as she was putting in her headphones to listen to the first video, "His voice is just so soothing!" It really seems to be just the right amount of instruction and practice for her. It seems much gentler, but just as effective as MM7 which she completed last year.

ETA: I agree with the all of the above.

Edited by fourisenough
  • Like 1

My daughter did DO prealgebra (half-price option with me grading). He sends all the solutions and then she just watched the vidoes and did the work as I graded everything. It was very good.

Wait - did he send you the solutions for the homework and the tests too? I am doing the half-price option and I only have the solutions to the practice problems. I've been working out the other problems myself. 

Wait - did he send you the solutions for the homework and the tests too? I am doing the half-price option and I only have the solutions to the practice problems. I've been working out the other problems myself. 

Yes, he will send the solutions to all the homework as well as multiple versions of the tests and exams. I've done this with more than one of his courses now.

It was embedded as an attachment to one of my introduction emails and I almost missed it as I went to email him saying I hadn't received the solutions. You might go back to the original emails he sent you and make sure you don't already have the solutions before asking.

Yes, he will send the solutions to all the homework as well as multiple versions of the tests and exams. I've done this with more than one of his courses now.

It was embedded as an attachment to one of my introduction emails and I almost missed it as I went to email him saying I hadn't received the solutions. You might go back to the original emails he sent you and make sure you don't already have the solutions before asking.

Excellent. I checked my email and I didn't see it but I originally messed up my registration and didn't have the right info about choosing the 1/2 price option so maybe it didn't get emailed. I emailed him to ask for it. I would love to have the answers. I can do the math but I'd rather not :-)

How does one get the parent graded Derek Ownes Prealgebra package? Thanks!

You just register online as usual by paying your $15 registration fee, but send him an e-mail stating that you want the parent-graded option. Your first invoice will reflect that and charge $29 instead of $58. In a separate e-mail, he will send you the answer keys to the homework and tests. The log-in info for the student will e-mailed directly to the student.
  • Like 1

We tried it - we loved his voice and found it soothing too.

After about a month my dd started to get really frustrated by the number of vidoes required each day- sometimes she had to watch up to 8 vidoes. Or more even. Additionally the number of pages required between the notes, the worksheet and the homework was too much. Sometimes it would be five pages. Also the program moves slowly.

That said, she did not hate it. And the instruction was good. She loves getting it graded by him or his assistants and the turn around was very fast and encouraging. We will consider it again for algebra.

But my dd preferred to go back to Horizons for Pre Alg.

Interesting. We're doing the half price option and I only have answers to homework & tests. I've been working out the practice problems. Ha!