Menu

Funny back to homeschool moments

mellifera33

Our family started formal lessons yesterday, and while it mostly went pretty well, there were a couple of moments that left me scratching my head. 

My third grader's math lesson was a simple review of addition facts, followed by reading written-out numbers with a blank to write the numeral. No problem, except he left a blank after the word "eleven." I handed the paper back to him, mentioning that he forgot an item. "I know. I forgot. What's eleven?" 

I didn't know what to say. I prompted him by asking him to think about where eleven comes on the number line, how many tens, how many ones.....and he suggested that eleven has one ten and twelve ones. I finally wrote 11 and he said, oh, yeah, I know that number. I just forgot what it's called.  :confused1:

Our other strange moment came during Latin. We're using I Speak Latin, which my boys think is lots of fun--like playing Simon Says in another language. However, as soon as I started using Latin words, my 3 y/o got upset and ran upstairs to play. No problem, I thought--she's three, she can tag along or not. Near the end of the lesson I saw her sitting on the stairs, peering through the balusters, looking apprehensive. I tried to talk with her, but she just said she didn't like the words. It wasn't until my husband got home that I understood better why she was upset. I told him about our day, including the strange moments, and he said, "Well, yeah, you sound possessed when you speak Latin."  :confused1:  Maybe I over-enunciate? Maybe Latin is inherently spooky-sounding? I don't know. I'll try to use a more sing-song voice today. Maybe that will help. 

Has your family had any funny or odd moments since starting lessons again? Have any other children forgotten eleven?  :laugh:  Does anyone else need an exorcist for learning Latin? I'd love to feel less alone.... :lol:

• Like 17

DD15 went to public school for kindergarten.   On her first day of homeschooling, I had set her up with lots of things to do as I was working with her brother.  When she finished, she announced that she was Glad that Year Was Over.   She thought she had done all the work for a year in one day........

She was a bit disappointed that we started it all over again the next day.

• Like 20

DD15 went to public school for kindergarten. On her first day of homeschooling, I had set her up with lots of things to do as I was working with her brother. When she finished, she announced that she was Glad that Year Was Over. She thought she had done all the work for a year in one day........

She was a bit disappointed that we started it all over again the next day.

Lol! My son went to preK and when he came home after the first day, he was convinced that he would go to kindergarten the next day! He was sure he had learned plenty that day!!

• Like 9

I had a good (internal) laugh with my 10 yo ds when he asked if we live in South or North America. I gave him our globe and waited patiently while he tried to track down Canada - the second largest country in the world. It took a while.  :laugh:  We need to do some more geography work, it seems. 

• Like 14

We started school a while back, but yesterday we had one of those moments that left me scratching my head (actually, I'm still scratching it). My 8yr old read a 9/11 book, and sadly he let me know both towers fell... and then he went to bed.

It didn't click in til later, it really sounded like he didn't know both towers fell?? This is something we have talked about SO many times.

• Like 5

This was awhile back, but I asked ds something like, "what asian country did we study this week," and he replied "Kansas." :zombie:

I had a good (internal) laugh with my 10 yo ds when he asked if we live in South or North America. I gave him our globe and waited patiently while he tried to track down Canada - the second largest country in the world. It took a while.  :laugh:  We need to do some more geography work, it seems. 

This is why we're doing Memoria Press's States & Capitals this year.  Oldest DD (10) thought Indiana and Kentucky were in China...and she continually asks if we live in North or South America.   :wacko:

• Like 4

We started school a while back, but yesterday we had one of those moments that left me scratching my head (actually, I'm still scratching it). My 8yr old read a 9/11 book, and sadly he let me know both towers fell... and then he went to bed.

It didn't click in til later, it really sounded like he didn't know both towers fell?? This is something we have talked about SO many times.

Oh no. Maybe he just now actually realized the enormity of it all.
  • Like 1

I had a good (internal) laugh with my 10 yo ds when he asked if we live in South or North America. I gave him our globe and waited patiently while he tried to track down Canada - the second largest country in the world. It took a while. :laugh: We need to do some more geography work, it seems.

There is something about the large countries. They are so big they don't see them or something. After vacationing in Puerto Rico, we showed ds where it was on the beach ball globe. Now everyone that comes to the house says "cool beach ball" or something similar, which prompts ds to say "let me show you where Puerto Rico is." He finds that tiny island no problem. So the impressed guest says "wow! You're smart! Where's the United States?" Ds says, "the what?" I've shown him numerous times, it just doesn't stick. :)

• Like 6

My 6 year old started her first chapter book this week. She asked me earlier this week why the main character was named Natalie 24. I skimmed the beginning and realized she had skipped the introduction which explains why. When I pointed this out, she said "But you start reading at Chapter 1!" Today she announced she only had a chapter left and I asked if she had figured out what the 24 meant. She replied, "Nope, I'm saving the introduction for last."

• Like 6

I can relate to this kind of conversation. 

DS9: Washington is in North America?

Me: Right.

DS9: And Texas is in South America?

Me: No, Texas is in the southern part of the United States of America, but it's still in North America.

DS9: Okay--so Brazil is in South America?

Me: Right.

DS9: And Mexico is in South America?

Me: No, Mexico is south of the United States of America, but it's still in North America. 

DS9: Whatever. 

My 6 year old started her first chapter book this week. She asked me earlier this week why the main character was named Natalie 24. I skimmed the beginning and realized she had skipped the introduction which explains why. When I pointed this out, she said "But you start reading at Chapter 1!" Today she announced she only had a chapter left and I asked if she had figured out what the 24 meant. She replied, "Nope, I'm saving the introduction for last."

My kind of girl! I hate reading introductions. Especially if there's a preface, then an introduction to the first edition, introduction to the second edition, introduction to the revised second edition, etc. 

• Like 3

My kind of girl! I hate reading introductions. Especially if there's a preface, then an introduction to the first edition, introduction to the second edition, introduction to the revised second edition, etc.

Me too. Come on, I just want read the story already!

Years ago dh was shocked to learn I'd never read Watership Down. He gave me a copy and said, "you HAVE to read the preface or you won't get it." Darn, he knows me too well! :D

• Like 2

Oldest DS did the first few pages of a vocab workbook this week.  This morning, he opened the book, and asked if we bought it used "because the answers are already filled in."  Darling child, those are your answers, written in your very own handwriting.  You wrote them two days ago.  

So glad he's retaining stuff he learns.   :huh:

• Like 8

I had my boys watching Schoolhouse Rock last night. My husband says, "what's a noun?"

As I'm waiting for my 5 year old to answer him, I look up and realize he was directing the question at me. My dh didn't know what a noun is. And that's why my boys aren't in public school.

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 4