Menu

What's everyone reading at the moment?

Sacha is currently working through the excellent (and diverse!) booklist posted by Tanaqui on another thread:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/670349-need-book-recommendations/

He is currently reading 'Unusual Chickens for the Exceptional Poultry Farmer' -- love the title. He finished 'Zahrah the Windseeker,' 'Little Men,' 'Shadow Thieves,' and 'My Side of the Mountain' before that.

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 2

Current family read alouds: Mary Pope Osborne’s Odyssey series (currently paused while waiting for the next book through the library), next up is either Homer Price or the first in the Upside Down Magic series

Me: Incorrigible Children series

DD: cycling through a number of series: Incorrigible Children, Percy Jackson, 13-Story Treehouse, How to Train Your Dragon, and about her zillionth pass through Harry Potter

• Like 1

Ds9.5 - as usual, a bunch of mostly non-fiction books: The Great Mathematicians, The CS Detective and A Brief History of Time. The last one is the saturday' reading with daddy since ds doesnt understand yet, but very desperate. Hawking was his hero :(

One in a queque - a Little History of the World and a Young Sherlock Holmes.

Ds7.5 - has just finished re-reading Peter the Rabbit and has started Kenny and the dragon + a standard bunch of books about sharks,rabbits, cats, cars and minecraft))

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I posted this before, so sorry if it is a duplicate, but I can't find it.

I took my kid to the library recently and she chose some books about World War II.  One of them was Hitler Youth, a Newberry honor book, which did a pretty good job of covering various subjects about Nazi Germany for young people.  (I decided to read it myself after my kid was finished.)

Seraphina is still our current audiobook, but I don't think we will finish it before we have to return it.  We have had very little time in the car together as the kids were away at camp last week and on spring break this past week.  I probably should have had us listen to it at home.  :/  Our read-aloud is still the same also, but I did make a little progress this week.

Independently, it's pretty much the same story as always.  Reading Fiend reading a good variety at her leisure, the other kid down to maybe 1 or 2 books a month as homework and extracurriculars leave limited free time.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Here's what is being read around here at the moment:

12yr old:

Fiction: Messenger (third book in The Giver quartet), the latest Trials of Apollo, Anastasia books to get to sleep. She recently finished The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, and declared this one of the best books she's read recently.

Non fiction: Written by Mrs Bach (about the Bach cello suites). She's loving this book! Thanks Pegsy for this thoughtful gift. Not only is she loving the book, but she's been listening to the suites and has set herself the goal to learn them on cello.

She's also reading her Korean textbook a lot for leisure. She had it in her lap while playing Overwatch the other night. Multitasking ? 

Together: Amelia Lost.

Me: The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas. I just had to read it after my daughter's glowing report of it. 

I'm also reading Ungifted by Scott Barry Kaufman, inspired by his talks on the online summit.

• Like 1

My kids' teacher is covering Wonder at school.  Unlike many books she covers, it is not a read-aloud but each kid is supposed to read the whole book.  My youngest of course whizzed through it, but my eldest has not been able to find enough time between the other school work and life stuff.  She admitted this to the teacher so we'll see what happens.  We did do this as an audiobook about a year ago, but I don't think she remembers very much.  Anyhoo ... that's what they're doing at school.

We needed to take a break from book club as it conflicted with track practice.  It was always hard to get there anyway - 3:30 meant I had to leave work early and hit the school pickup line at exactly the right moment and then zip from there to the library 20 minutes away.  We were always late.  So I am not sorry to be taking a break.

I have a driver taking the kids around most evenings so I can catch up on work.  So our audiobook listening has decreased a lot.  But we finished Little Men and are now listening to My Friend Flicka.

For personal choice reading, my eldest (the slow reader) is working through Diary of a Teenaged Girl, but as mentioned above, she doesn't have much time for fun reading these days.  My youngest read the series already and both girls find it quite interesting.  Both girls have also read other random books.  Youngest has been on a Laura Ingalls Wilder kick.

Our read-aloud that has been dragging out for months is almost done.  What to read next?  I have many great ones to choose from.  Besides good summer fiction, I have lots of nonfiction books I would like to read through over the summer.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Can we revive this thread?  I think many of us enjoy reading what others are doing.

Since my last post in May, we finished:

Audiobooks:  My Friend Flicka, The Prince and the Pauper, The Call of the Wild, Jane Eyre.  We are currently listening to The Little Princess.

Read-alouds:  Spy School.  We're now about 2/3 through Spy Camp.

Individual reading - they had to read Banner in the Sky for a June-July reading program.  Eldest has done some fun reading in easy books - she took a liking to some Al Capone series and re-read some Dork Diary type stuff.  I did not push reading on her over the summer because she had to do a lot of vision therapy homework.  I don't really know what the youngest read other than re-reading her favorites.  She really enjoys reading so I don't worry about her.

• Like 1

Oops, sorry folks. I dropped the ball on this thread. I love reading about what you're all reading, so let's keep it rolling.

12yr old: Independently re-reading The Secret Series by Pseudonymous Bosch. She's also always got her head in her Korean textbook and new Korean reader.

Reading together: We recently finished Miss Spitfire. This is about Annie Sullivan, the teacher of Helen Keller. This book was excellent and it inspired us to pull our copy of Helen Keller's autobiography off our shelf. This is called The Story of My Life and we're thoroughly enjoying reading this together. 

We're also reading a range of non-fiction related to our studies, including portions of Captain James Cook's journals.

Me: I've read some great fiction recently. I loved Origin by Dan Brown. I also enjoyed The Sixth Extinction by James Rollins. I'm currently reading a Michael Connolly about Harry Bosch. Another book I read recently is called Worst Person Ever by Douglas Coupland. This is the sort of book that you feel a bit uncomfortable for enjoying. It is one of the most offensive, rude, crude books I've read in a while, and it made me laugh out loud. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone easily upset or offended.

Me: I'm listening to The Cuckoo's Calling.  So far it's pretty good, but disc 3 was garbled at the end, so I missed a bit.

16 year old: Something about the Syria crisis - I can't remember the title (a little light reading before dual enrollment starts tomorrow hahaha)

13 year old: She's read through a kids' series on countries of the world this summer; she's currently finishing Australia. She's attending school this year, and they are doing US history and she's a little put out since she won't get to do World Geography with 11 year old.

11 year old: Just finished the Princess Diaries series and is currently reading Fablehaven.

Since 13 year old is going to school this coming year, I'm contemplating re-instating bedtime stories since I won't get to read aloud to her during school anymore. If I do, we'll start with The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate since we didn't get to it over the summer. 

Edited by beckyjo
  • Like 1

Hey, I didn't even realize I got a mention here. And I was just moping around today "Nobody ever appreciates the hard work I put into making booklists blah blah blah" and now don't I feel silly? (Truth is, I like to complain.)

I am completely out of new books. Just finished the City of Stairs trilogy and also City of Brass (a bit meh), finished the newest Donna Andrews book (Toucan Keep a Secret - I don't know what she'll do when she runs out of birds), re-read Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet, and now... idk. Maybe I'll find where I hid my copy of Years of Rice and Salt and re-read that.

Running with my mother to the doctor three times in the next two weeks, so I probably ought to find some money and buy some new books on Kindle. Any recommends? I've got 900 books on that device and right now, nothing appeals.

As for everybody else, the 15 year old is re-reading Beauty, by Robin McKinley, for the umpteenth time (I remember when I read that book a zillion times in a row) and the 12 year old is racing through her library reads because she's emerged as the most organized person in this family and carefully returns her books on a schedule. This is why her card, alone among all of us, is not cut off. (Selfish child won't let me borrow it either!) The last book she read that I know the title of was Un Lun Dun when she went to camp - she said she'd run out of books, and she very nearly did. Poor baby.

• Like 2

Tanaqui, we were reading from your list too, so much appreciated for your input too ?

Ds10 has finished The 39 Clues and reading Rick Riordan's series at the moment. Peter Lerangis' Seven Wonders is next. For non-fiction he reread all his history books, including The Story of World and he is reading The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurus by Steve Brusatte - it's really good one. I am reading it too between?

Ds8 has finished a serie of Lucy Hawking's books about George and currently on The 39 Clues.  Warrior cats and The Mysterious Benedict Society are next in the list, then Harry Potter for 3rd time? He is also reading The Complete Sailing Manual for his sailing lessons and Horrible Science/History and Geography books.

Edited by Rush
  • Like 2

We just finished the Castle Glower series and we loved it! They audiobooks are fantastic and everyone from DH down to the three year old was super into it, but the 7&9 year olds and I were the most into it. ? my 7 yo has since listened to it an additional 4-5 times and my 9 yo read the series after listening to it. Lol.

We are currently on the last chitty chitty bang bang book, and the second to the last Narnia book as well ( One series with just me and the kids, and the other when DH is around as well).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 4KookieKids said:

We just finished the Castle Glower series and we loved it! They audiobooks are fantastic and everyone from DH down to the three year old was super into it, but the 7&9 year olds and I were the most into it. ? my 7 yo has since listened to it an additional 4-5 times and my 9 yo read the series after listening to it. Lol.

We are currently on the last chitty chitty bang bang book, and the second to the last Narnia book as well ( One series with just me and the kids, and the other when DH is around as well).

I envy you so much. None of my kids wants to listen audiobooks for some reason?

DD#1 is reading The Hobbit. She just finished The Silver Chair.

DD#2 is reading The Rescuers. She just finished Misty of Chincoteague.

I am prereading The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making. I'm finding it delightful so far, and unless it has some horrible twist I haven't yet reached, it will probably go on DD#1's list for this year.

• Like 1

DS 11 is reading the LOTR trilogy for his G3 class

DS8 is plowing through Fat Cat Garfield books

DD8 is stuck in a Junie B Jones phase, but she's reading and that's all I care about

I just finished Murakami's What I Talk About When I Talk About Running and I'm almost done with The Body Keeps the Score. I'm in the middle of Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

Reviving this thread because it’s fun to see what you all are reading!

i just started reading Range, by David Epstein. The subtitle: Why generalists triumph in a specialized world. It’s an examination and deconstruction of the -10,000-hours-to-expertise / early-specialization idea. I’m only three chapters in, but feeling validated in our approach of letting the kids go at their own pace, and attempting broad exposure.   I think tiger-parent mentality could easily be applied to this philosophy though, by bending over backwards to expose your kids to as many things as possible 😉

Also on the nightstand:

Boundaries (Cloud)

secret History of the Mongol Queens (Weatherford)

A Praying Life (Powlison)

history of England (Arnold Forster)

Personal Recollections  of Joan of Arc (Twain)

• Like 1

My girls and I just finished To Kill A Mockingbird.  (Before that, we did the entire Laura Ingalls Wilder series.)  Not sure what I want to do next.  We are currently whizzing through a pile of short books that are soon-to-be hand-me-downs.

• Like 1

Yay for a revival of the thread! 👍

13yr old for leisure: Derek Landy's Demon Road series

13 yr old for literature analysis: Fahrenheit 451 (she has loved this!)

Next up for literature will be either To Kill a Mockingbird or The Outsiders.  Thoughts?

Me: Redemption Point by Candice Fox (Australian thriller) 

14 minutes ago, SKL said:

My girls and I just finished To Kill A Mockingbird.  (Before that, we did the entire Laura Ingalls Wilder series.)  Not sure what I want to do next.  We are currently whizzing through a pile of short books that are soon-to-be hand-me-downs.

Did you do any literature analysis to go with To Kill a Mockingbird?

Doing light summer reading here:

Me: Just finished The Cactus (Reese Witherspoon June book club book) and Hurricane Season (kids' fiction book dealing with bipolar disorder). Starting A Name of Her Own (based on a true story of a woman who was friends with Sacagawea)

13 year old: Cruising through the Maze Runner series

12 year old: Reading the Cinder series

I’m reading an Amelia Peabody book by Elizabeth Peters.  I found 3 very nice hardbacks at the thrift store the last time I went 🙂

My 10-year-old daughter is reading a “Peculiar Children” book we saw at Target.  It was the only book she wanted.  She’s not too far into it yet so I don’t know how she likes it yet.  

My 14-year-old son is re-reading favorite sections of the Wild Card series edited by George R. R. Martin.  He has about 8 total, mostly from the earlier books being re-released.  I think he has given up on the re-boot books.  There might be a tv series and he has high hopes of it being amazing if there is one.  

I am reading a Magic Tree House book to my 10-year-old son.  

I'm reading Edgar Keret short stories in Hebrew. Man, are they weird (and sometimes vulgar, so be forewarned). But they are full of good, everyday, colloquial Hebrew.

I just read 13 Clocks and The Wonderful O by James Thurber to my 10-year-old. We both loved it. My 7-year-old "hated" it at first (because it meant I wasn't reading his book) but then loved it at the end, moving closer and closer to me as I read until he was cuddled but beside him.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2019 at 4:10 PM, chocolate-chip chooky said:

Did you do any literature analysis to go with To Kill a Mockingbird?

Hi, just saw this question as I've been on vacation for several days.

While we normally don't do any formal analysis when we read a book, in this case we read this as part of the Boomerang Book Club thing via Brave Writer.  We were not able to keep up with all of it due to a very busy schedule, including sleep-away camp the last week.  But we did go over all of the questions and most of the other material.  (Some of it was over my kids' heads.)  We also watched the movie after we finished the book.

As with any other book, we discussed it a lot as we went along.  There was so much to discuss in this book.

• Like 1

I’m finishing up Rebecca Solnit’s The Farway Nearby. It’s good but it never grabbed me so I’m sorry to say I’m glad I’m almost done.

I’m going to read The Joy Luck Club next. I got it free on Independent bookstore day! I’ve never read it if you can believe that.

DS 12 is reading the rest of the Mysterious Benedict Society books. 

DS 9 is reading Superfudge

DD 9 got a stack of Who Was? Books for her birthday, I think she’s reading Einstein right now

Edited by Runningmom80