Menu

What's everyone reading at the moment?

Inspired by runningmom's Ada Twist thread, I thought I'd ask what everyone is reading with their kids and also for yourselves. It's great to get some new ideas from others.

This is us right now:

DD10 - independently reading Twilight (the reversed gender one)

- together with me - The Absolute Value of Mike (by Kathryn Erskine of Mockingbird fame)

- nonfiction together for fun - Murderous Maths The Phantom X

Me(40-something, lost count a while back) - Fiction - The Book of Secrets by Elizabeth Joy Arnold

- Non-fiction - Misdiagnosis and Dual-diagnosis of Gifted Children by James Webb et al

• Like 3

DS- Wind in the Willows (for school). Usually has 5-10 other books he is reading simultaneously. I've seen him about with lots of Horrible Histories lately. I don't keep tabs on what he reads anymore unless it's his assigned reading.

Me-picked up Doctor Dolittle the other day in an effort to go back and read lots of children's classic that I missed as a kid. Also Reading Wallace Stegner - Where the Bluebird Sings to the Lemonade Springs.

• Like 1

DS- Wind in the Willows (for school). Usually has 5-10 other books he is reading simultaneously. I've seen him about with lots of Horrible Histories lately. I don't keep tabs on what he reads anymore unless it's his assigned reading.

Me-picked up Doctor Dolittle the other day in an effort to go back and read lots of children's classic that I missed as a kid. Also Reading Wallace Stegner - Where the Bluebird Sings to the Lemonade Springs.

We love Horrible Histories. A couple of years back we read through the entire boxset in chronological order and then watched all the DVDs. 

We also love the Horribly Famous series. They can be a bit tricky to find sometimes, so it's always a thrill to find just the one you want. For us recently, it was the Charles Dickens one, when we were giving Great Expectations a go.

DD has *just* broken through her aversion to books that take more than one sitting to read, thanks to Horrible Histories.

DD - Shiloh, for school

Horrible Histories, currently Vile Victorians

Bunches of picture books and magazines

Family read aloud: The Doll People

Me - The One and Only Ivan - I realized when looking at book lists that I've read almost nothing that I'm finding on lists for older elementary and junior high, so I'm starting to read some of them now to get a jump on when DD is old enough for them!

• Like 1

Me(40-something, lost count a while back) - Fiction - The Book of Secrets by Elizabeth Joy Arnold

-

I don't usually follow this board unless I see an interesting topic title, but saw the word "reading" so clicked. And saw my name, haha. That can't be coincidence, but I didn't mention my books or my name when you messaged me about your daughter, and I'm trying to figure out how you would have connected me with them. Anyway, thanks! :)

I'll join i since I'm here...I'm popcorn reading "The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles" with DD. It was my favorite book as a kid, and I'm so excited that she's finally old enough to enjoy it. So far it's actually more profound than I remembered. I think I could make a whole month-long study on some of the concepts, along with the vocabulary.

For myself, I'm reading A God in Ruins, by Kate Atkinson...I'm liking it much better than the previous book she'd written with these characters (Life After Life) which was beautifully written but seemed to drag a bit.

• Like 4

DS 6yo - Lots of Wimpy Kid books and one of random facts he found at the library

Reading to him - it was Beowulf (his choice).  We got to the part where the hero actually comes in and he has requested I don't read anymore because it's too scary.  He doesn't want him to die.  :( Dh bought a new book for our read aloud that should make him happier - Through The Looking Glass.  We'll be starting that one on Friday when it arrives.

For myself, I have finally gotten around to reading The House of Dies Drear.  I know, I know!  But I wanted the chance to read through it before assigning it in a few years.  I just finished The Year Of Living Dangerously and it was a bit......well, not what I expected. 

• Like 1

I always like these threads. I get good ideas for myself to read.

Ds is reading the second Shiloh book and has the third ready to go. He's also reading YWWT ...Inca, Aztec, Maya.

DD is reading Mad About Madeline and the Complete Collection of Beatrix Potter.

I'm reading Winter Fortress by Neil Bascomb. It's an account of the mission to sabotage a heavy water plant in Norway during Nazi Occupation. It's really good. I stay awake far too late reading it.

• Like 1

Ds will be reading "Redwall" for school, then reading "The Curious World of Calpurnia Tate" when I get it from the library.  He read the "Evolution of Calpurnia Tate" and felt the ending wasn't conclusive enough and we realized there was a sequel.

Dd will be reading "The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate", assuming she doesn't have trouble with it.  It's longer than what she usually reads.

I'm doing a Book Challenge this year and have 17 categories left.  I just read "Spark Joy" for self-help after reading some light romances I got as Kindle freebies.  

When I get to the library to pick up my holds, I'll be reading:

Pride and Prejudice -  written over 100 years ago

Old Possums Book of Practical Cats - poems

Seriously I'm Kidding - Antonyms in the title

The Lottery and other stories - short stories

The No 1 Ladies Detective Agency - culture I'm unfamiliar with

The Princess Bride - classic romance

At home, I have:

Midsummer Nights Dream - takes place in summer

The Crucible - a play

the Magic of Reality or the Red Pyramid- own but haven't read

Harry Potter - everyone but me has read

Wrinkle in Time - banned book

Still need to figure out:

Was supposed to read in school but didn't - I don't remember anything that would fit

Picked from the cover

Started but never finished - if I didn't finish there was a reason so this is hard

Written the year I was born

Originally in a different language

Based on a true story

• Like 1

My reading fiend is reading whatever she is reading - I stopped keeping track years ago.  :P

My other kid is finishing up Penderwicks.  She was supposed to read it in the summer, but it has been slow going for her.

We are listening to the audiobook of The War that Saved my Life.  The girls find it very interesting.

I'm reading aloud Little Women.

For grown-up reading, a lady lent me the book The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, so I am reading that.

• Like 1

I don't usually follow this board unless I see an interesting topic title, but saw the word "reading" so clicked. And saw my name, haha. That can't be coincidence, but I didn't mention my books or my name when you messaged me about your daughter, and I'm trying to figure out how you would have connected me with them. Anyway, thanks! :)

I'll join i since I'm here...I'm popcorn reading "The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles" with DD. It was my favorite book as a kid, and I'm so excited that she's finally old enough to enjoy it. So far it's actually more profound than I remembered. I think I could make a whole month-long study on some of the concepts, along with the vocabulary.

For myself, I'm reading A God in Ruins, by Kate Atkinson...I'm liking it much better than the previous book she'd written with these characters (Life After Life) which was beautifully written but seemed to drag a bit.

I wasn't going to 'out' you here...but now that you've opened it up I'll say how much I'm loving your book. I'm completely absorbed and feel quite tickled that I 'know' you.  :001_smile:

I knew your real name from an email when you were helping with my daughter's writing. I googled your books and my local library (in QLD, Australia) had this one so I'm reading it now.

• Like 2

DD has *just* broken through her aversion to books that take more than one sitting to read, thanks to Horrible Histories.

DD - Shiloh, for school

Horrible Histories, currently Vile Victorians

Bunches of picture books and magazines

Family read aloud: The Doll People

Me - The One and Only Ivan - I realized when looking at book lists that I've read almost nothing that I'm finding on lists for older elementary and junior high, so I'm starting to read some of them now to get a jump on when DD is old enough for them!

I'm going to hijack my own thread here.... a sub-thread about aversions to books or issues with reading. Maybe I'll start a new thread, so it doesn't get jumbled.

I'm currently reading The Smartist Kids in the World and The Paris Wife.

DS 9 is reading Island of the Blue Dolphins for school and just finished Miss Bixby's Last Day for fun. He's also reading HP and the Cursed Child but said it gotsvaru so he's taking a break.

How's The Smartest Kids in the World?  Worth reading? Looks interesting.

• Like 1

Loesje, you and your daughter are awesome! How fabulous to be reading in four languages. (Plus Greek and Latin!)

(My middle one is reading L'avare in French at the moment--loves MoliĂƒÂ¨re.)

Thank you!

I am not that great as my daughter is (I can't speak/read that level of French)

But dd will love to know some one else is reading L'avare too! :)

• Like 1

I wasn't going to 'out' you here...but now that you've opened it up I'll say how much I'm loving your book. I'm completely absorbed and feel quite tickled that I 'know' you.  :001_smile:

I knew your real name from an email when you were helping with my daughter's writing. I googled your books and my local library (in QLD, Australia) had this one so I'm reading it now.

Ah, I'd forgotten that I have an automatic siggy with my webpage on my email. And I'm tickled that you found my book at a library in Australia! Thank you, I'm so glad you're enjoying the book. :)

• Like 1

Me: Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell (Again)

DD6: Ember Falls

DD5: The disney fairies series...  (someday she'll read quality books, for now any reading is fine)

Read-aloud: The Grim Grotto (A series of unfortunate events)

Audiobook: Story of the world, vol 1 again. We have vol 2. as well, but they always seem to prefer vol. 1

• Like 1

5.75yo is reading the DK Children's Illustrated Encyclopedia. His brother got it as a present for his 9th birthday from his grandparents (I loved that book when I was a kid - he got the 25th anniversary edition). The 9yo doesn't seem to be as interested in it. The 5.75yo is also reading Dog Diaries.

They're both reading PokĂƒÂ©mon and Minecraft books. I need to find some more good books for the 9yo. I tried to give him the Lucky Starr series by Asimov recently, and he told me (after reading 20 pages) "maybe when I'm older". I'll probably hand him some books by Andrew Clements, as....

we're currently listening to our 3rd audiobook by Andrew Clements - Lost and Found. I normally try to avoid doing that many audiobooks by the same author, preferring to do just one and letting them read the rest on their own, but our previous audiobook was "Rain Reign", and it was on the heavier side, so especially for the sake of my youngest I wanted something lighter. We all liked Rain Reign, btw.

For read aloud we're doing "The Elephant's Friend and Other Tales from Ancient India" at the moment. It's rather short, not sure yet what we'll be doing next.

Me (32): TWTM4, "The Gettysburg Address - a graphic adaptation", "Confucius and the world he created", and "The Game Theorist's Guide to Parenting - How the Science of Strategic Thinking Can Help You Deal with the Toughest Negotiators You Know - Your Kids".

• Like 1

DD is reading a lot of Shakespeare (and watching a lot of plays). Our shared reading is Hawkmistress, by Marion Zimmer Bradley, which I remember as being very influential to be at about DD's age (main character is a teen girl with a psychic link to animals, who flees her home to escape an arranged marriage and passes as a boy, becoming involved in a revolution.) . Based on the stack by her bed, she also appears to be rereading Rick Riordan's books.

I'm reading...uh, currently a collection of Erma Bombeck books. And trying to at least stay with DD on Australian history, since it's new to me. I've given up on trying to stay with or ahead of her in biology, but since she has outside mentors there, I feel less of a need to do so.

Edited by Dmmetler2
  • Like 2

DD7 and I are reading the Upside-Down Magic series and the Beasts of Olympus series (fun, light, suitable for both genders - She didn't really like the Heros in Training series as it's written more for a male audience and a little scarier, although the Grimmtastic Girls and Goddess Girls series {same author} were huge hits). If anyone has any recommendations for more like those I'd love to hear them.

DD7 has another pile of 80 books she's racing through, mostly graphic novels, Geronimo Stilton, Beverly Cleary, etc. She still doesn't want scary yet, likes at least a few drawings but reads so darned quickly. Four different libraries are keeping her fed and watered so far. I often think I'm going to be stumped when I'm looking for new books to catch her attention, but so far so good. The neighboring city's libraries help a ton.

I am reading The Awakened Family by Shefanli Tsabary - interesting so far. Also The Female Brain by Louann Brizendine (awesome!! Love this book! You can open it up to any random page and find cool, surprising nuggets) :thumbup:

• Like 1

DS10 is reading LOTR one volume edition which we bought used for $1

DS11 is reading Barnes & Noble clean and was sulky when we had to go home yesterday.

I saw this book at B&N and reserved it at two libraries.

The CS Detective: An Algorithmic Tale of Crime, Conspiracy, and Computation

https://www.amazon.com/CS-Detective-Algorithmic-Conspiracy-Computation/dp/1593277490

• Like 1

DD7 and I are reading the Upside-Down Magic series and the Beasts of Olympus series (fun, light, suitable for both genders - She didn't really like the Heros in Training series as it's written more for a male audience and a little scarier, although the Grimmtastic Girls and Goddess Girls series {same author} were huge hits). If anyone has any recommendations for more like those I'd love to hear them.

DS9 thought Heroes in Training was too scary when I handed him the first one just after he turned 8yo. I later gave him Goddess Girls (written for kids about a grade higher) at about 8.5yo, and he loved them. Then, when I pointed out Heroes in Training was by the same authors, he gave them another try and liked them too. I asked the librarian for similar, and she suggested the Odyssey series by Mary Pope Osborne (who also wrote the Magic Tree House series). Rick Riordan is similar as well, but for slightly older kids and slightly scarier (my son didn't like them when I tried them recently).

• Like 2

Together with kids:

DS14:  The Odyssey.  We're finding a lot of it hilarious, though I don't think that was Homer's intention.  We finished up The Epic of Gilgamesh a couple of weeks ago and my son said that out of all the books he's read so far (including fun books, not just for school), he loves that the best.  Go figure!

After The Odyssey, we'll read some Arabian Nights stories.  Then it's Don Quixote, Count of Monte Cristo, something Russian, and an assortment of other "World Authors."  Can't remember them all right now.

DS11: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.  We hope to read all of the books this year. 

For me alone: 

HA!  High school is taking up all my spare time.  I reeeeeally hope I find my groove.  Soon.  

Right now I'm spending my spare reading time reading Biology texts and World History texts and creating study sheets for them.  I think that by October I might have figured out a routine for getting all this prep done and I'll have time for reading books again.  For now, when I need a quick break from working on school stuff I read threads here and HGTV magazines or Glamour magazines. Complete fluff that requires no brainpower to process.

Before school started I was reading That Crumpled Paper was Due Last Week about helping disorganized boys get organized.  I need to get back to that to help my son, but I just don't have time.  I mean, it's scary how little time I have right now.  Reeeeeally hoping for a groove by October.  :(

Edited by Garga
  • Like 2

DD7 has another pile of 80 books she's racing through, mostly graphic novels, Geronimo Stilton, Beverly Cleary, etc. She still doesn't want scary yet, likes at least a few drawings but reads so darned quickly. Four different libraries are keeping her fed and watered so far. I often think I'm going to be stumped when I'm looking for new books to catch her attention, but so far so good. The neighboring city's libraries help a ton.

I am reading The Awakened Family by Shefanli Tsabary - interesting so far. Also The Female Brain by Louann Brizendine (awesome!! Love this book! You can open it up to any random page and find cool, surprising nuggets) :thumbup:

I loved the Awakened Family. It changed our lives. My husband is reading it now and I can see a change in him.

• Like 2

Me: Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell (Again)

DD6: Ember Falls

DD5: The disney fairies series...  (someday she'll read quality books, for now any reading is fine)

Read-aloud: The Grim Grotto (A series of unfortunate events)

Audiobook: Story of the world, vol 1 again. We have vol 2. as well, but they always seem to prefer vol. 1

Series of Unfortunate Events is one of our faves around here. All three of my girls (23, 19 and 10) have loved them over the years and they get read and re-read and re-re-read.

Have you read the prequel series called All the Wrong Questions? It is about Lemony Snickett when he was a child. It's really good fun to try to see how (and if) any of the events and characters may end up in Series of Unfortunate Events decades later.

DD is reading a lot of Shakespeare (and watching a lot of plays). Our shared reading is Hawkmistress, by Marion Zimmer Bradley, which I remember as being very influential to be at about DD's age (main character is a teen girl with a psychic link to animals, who flees her home to escape an arranged marriage and passes as a boy, becoming involved in a revolution.) . Based on the stack by her bed, she also appears to be rereading Rick Riordan's books.

I'm reading...uh, currently a collection of Erma Bombeck books. And trying to at least stay with DD on Australian history, since it's new to me. I've given up on trying to stay with or ahead of her in biology, but since she has outside mentors there, I feel less of a need to do so.

Another Rick Riordan fan - he must have a few $$ in the bank!

Thanks for the advice of other series my DD7 might like. We've read a couple of the Mary Pope Osborne Odyssey series, but the repetition of Odysseus walking into stupid situations was too predictable for DD (lots of eye-rolling). Yeah, Rick Riordan is still too scary at this point. She started Harry Potter when she was 4, but she got stalled in book 2. May try it again soon with the illustrated versions. I may also try the rest of the Wizard of Oz series, but not sure if they're scary or not as I never read them. Another potential: The Phantom Tollbooth.

All the Wrong Questions looks like it might be a great fit!!  Thanks! 

Love these discussions...

• Like 1

I love to see what everyone is reading!

Sacha is reading Shiloh for lit, Sign of the Beaver and History of US (audio) for history, and is finishing up the 39 Clues series for his pleasure reading.

I don't have much tme at the moment for pleasure reading. :(

• Like 1

I love to see what everyone is reading!

Sacha is reading Shiloh for lit, Sign of the Beaver and History of US (audio) for history, and is finishing up the 39 Clues series for his pleasure reading.

I don't have much tme at the moment for pleasure reading. :(

Oh yes, 39 Clues. My daughter loved that series. There were something like 30+ books in all.

I think it helped that the first one was written by Rick Riordan  ;)

• Like 1

Ah, I'd forgotten that I have an automatic siggy with my webpage on my email. And I'm tickled that you found my book at a library in Australia! Thank you, I'm so glad you're enjoying the book. :)

Two of my daughters (aged 19 and 10) love games to do with books. Things like scavenger hunts: find a book with a number in the title, a book whose author has four vowels in the surname, a book with an animal on the cover etc. They make up their own games too. They have a trail of post-its up a wall with the heights of characters from one series. They write fan-fiction together.

You get the picture. These girls love their books and stretch their enjoyment of them out much further than just the actual reading of the book.

Well, I introduced them to the code that Nate and Chloe use in The Book of Secrets.

Wow. Being able to embed secret messages in their favourite passages! This became a new and much-loved book game  :hurray:

• Like 1

DS8 just finished 6 books of David Walliams today(read them in 2 weeks) and has switched to Michael Morpurgo with The White Horse of Zennor to start with. 

together - A Christmas Carol

DS6 is reading a pile of thin books like: building side, vet, about dentist, surviving guide, etc. 

together - Andersen's' Fairy Tales

me - winning ugly by brad gilbert

• Like 1

DS12- Sense and Sensibility (assigned by me, we're going to the play next month at the Folger Library)

No idea what else he's reading, there are a lot of fantasy books stacked by his bed and he reads all the time 

DS9- Maniac Magee for a co-op book club class 

DD6- Clementine Friend of the World 

I'm reading Sign of the Beaver out loud during lunch as our school read-aloud. We're reading Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets at bedtime together, it's DD's first time which is fun for her and for the rest of us. We're listening to Gregor and the Code of Claw in the car. 

I'm reading Sense and Sensibility with DS. I'm also reading Gene: An Intimate History by Siddhartha Mukherjee. The latter is fantastic. I would highly recommend to anyone who likes science or just likes really good non-fiction. 

• Like 1

DS9 just finished rereading the LoTR and is now rereading various Swallows and Amazons books. DS7 is reading "The Quirks" series. We are doing the Prydain books as a shared read aloud. We are also finishing up the last of the online "What If" columns as a read aloud for DS9 after finishing Randall Munroe's book and have started Walter Alvarez's "T Rex and the Crater of Doom".

I am reading Nick Lane's "The Vital Question"  and reviewing various chem books for use later this year.

• Like 2

The LO just started the Copernicus Legacy by Tony Abbott. Sort of in the genre of Riordian and 39 Clues.

I am reading Leonard Sax's The Collapse of Parenting. Just read Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End by Dr. Atul Gawande. Really a must read. For pleasure, The Third Gate by Lincoln Child. Have no idea why I picked this up. It was just sitting in the paperback section at the library.

Edited by calbear
  • Like 2

Sacha finished Sign of the Beaver, which he really enjoyed, and is now reading Sing Down the Moon. We are studying Native Americans and the early Colonial days in History of US, so I have him reading a lot of historical fiction to flesh it out.

For pleasure reading, he finished all the 39 Clues Books (except the last one, which I think is being released this month), and is now reading the 5th Harry Potter book.

I'm busy packing; we're moving this week.

• Like 1

DS9 just finished Jurassic Park and is starting The Creeping Shadow by Jonathan Stroud. For school he is motoring through Heidi. We are reading the Fellowship of the Ring together right now. 

I am working through the Ranger's Apprentice series and trying in vain to get someone else in the family interested in them. I see why they are so popular--the books are fun, light reading. 

• Like 1

I just finished The Smartest Kids in the World, it was good but not great.  I just started "Why Kids Hate School." I still need to finish The Paris Wife.  I don't love it like I thought I would.

DS just started Miss Perigrine's Home for Peculiar Children.

My daughter (10) has mentioned Miss Perigrine. I was under the impression it would be too 'old' for her.

Commonsensemedia says 14+, but that's usually quite conservative - any thoughts on this?

• Like 1

My daughter (10) has mentioned Miss Perigrine. I was under the impression it would be too 'old' for her.

Commonsensemedia says 14+, but that's usually quite conservative - any thoughts on this?

I have to admit, I didn't look into it very closely. DS really wanted to read it so I just gave it to him. I don't really limit what he reads but now I'm nervous. I guess If common sense media says 14, I'm ok with it for my almost 10 year old. Lol

• Like 2

I have to admit, I didn't look into it very closely. DS really wanted to read it so I just gave it to him. I don't really limit what he reads but now I'm nervous. I guess If common sense media says 14, I'm ok with it for my almost 10 year old. Lol

I liked the book. It is dark throughout, violent at times, and has several disturbing parts. I'd put it at about the same age as Hunger Games, whatever age that might be for a particular child, with a note that the imagery is more vivid in Miss Peregrine's.

• Like 1

I liked the book. It is dark throughout, violent at times, and has several disturbing parts. I'd put it at about the same age as Hunger Games, whatever age that might be for a particular child, with a note that the imagery is more vivid in Miss Peregrine's.

I've got Hunger Games filed away under the same heading as Miss Peregrine. It's the 'I'm not sure you're quite old enough for this yet but maybe you are and I'm holding you back but maybe I'm right and this really would be too much and then we'd be up in the night snuggling and talking about worries and jumping at shadows and creaks in the house or maybe we'd be talking about things I'm not ready for a 10yr old to be talking about' heading.

That's a pretty big label on my file  ;)

• Like 1

My daughter is a avid reader and she had a hard time with Miss Peregrine in eighth (or was it seventh)? Still creeped out by it!

Ah, so I might just keep it in that file for awhile before moving it to the 'oh, okay then' file. There are plenty of other books to keep us busy in the interim months/years.