Menu

What's everyone reading at the moment?

What a great thread! I'll finalize our reading choices for the semester tomorrow, and IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m glad I read through this thread first. 

Thanks to summer boredom, Ds9 has been pulling from Dh's bookshelves for the past few weeks. As of this afternoon, he was reading The Great Train Robbery, by Michael Crichton. He also discovered Figures of Speech: 60 Ways to Turn a Phrase, a book about rhetorical devices. He only made it a few pages before he handed it to me and asked, "Can I learn this stuff this year?" Sure, kiddo. WeĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll call it Ă¢â‚¬Å“Independent Study in Rhetorical DevicesĂ¢â‚¬.  ;)

Dss15 is reading The Auschwitz Volunteer. I gave up a little over halfway through, so I'm curious to hear what he thinks.  

Ds7 and Ds2 are both on an Elephant and Piggie kick. I refuse to read them aloud anymore, so the boys help each other out when one gets stuck on a word. Dh is reading the Pirate School series at bedtime, and Ds2 and I are reading lots of poetry at what used to be nap time.  

I just started reading A Man Called Ove, and have been grazing on You Don't Look Your Age and Other Fairy Tales for the past week. 

• Like 1

Audiobooks:

We finished Cinder.  It was pretty good.

We then listened to Little Lord Fauntleroy, which we also enjoyed.

Started some fairy tale audiobook that I found around the house - silly for us, but the kids say they are enjoying it.

This Thursday we should learn what our next middle school book club selection will be.

I bought Bud, Not Buddy in audiobook.  We'll probably start it later this month.  I am looking to "read" all the Newberry books and age-appropriate classic fiction we can find in audiobook format, but our library doesn't have a lot of them.  I don't find many at reasonable prices on Amazon (new or used).  I will look into eBay and the nearest big city library.

Read-aloud:  still have a few more chapters in The Phantom Tollbooth.

My eldest is getting back to reading the easy "high interest" type books in her school library, so she can get her AR points.  That's fine with me - I'm done forcing her to read when she has so much else to do.  Youngest is reading some Descendants series - Isle of the Lost or whatever.  No idea how that is.  It definitely does not look like my type of book.  :P

• Like 1

Recent reads by 11yr old: The Giver and Anastasia Krupnik  (both Lois Lowry)

Her current reads: The sequel to The Giver, Gathering Blue, and Trials of Apollo The Dark Prophecy (Rick Riordan).

Non-fiction that we're currently reading together: Horribly Famous Julius Caesar and A Brief History of Time.

I finished a novel recently that I had mixed feelings about. It's called Useful, by Debra Oswald. 

The characters are unsettlingly relatable. It's like the author manages to tap into character flaws in a way that makes you reflect on your own flaws. Unsettling.

10 yr old DS is reading "Beetle Boy" and he just finished "Galen and the Gateway to Medicine", I just finished "A Gentleman in Moscow" by Amor Towles - BEST book I've read in the last 12 months! SOOO GOOD! It's slightly slow in the beginning, but worth sticking with it. We just discussed it in my book club and the consensus was this was the best book we've ever read together.

• Like 2

DS has many threads of reading going on. He keeps books in the car, in his sports gear bag etc so that he can read when he has down time. We are in the car a lot and we listen to a lot of classical music in the car. He can focus a lot with classical music in the background, so I thought why not read in the car. It works well so far. I am giving him books from series because it is easier for me keep track. 

Following are the series that my DS is currently reading:

Fiction:

Magnus Chase series

Kane Chronicles series

Puzzling world of Winston Breen series

Smells like a Dog series

Alex Rider series

Ranger's Apprentice series

He has other series that he has half read and I follow up on them occasionally and restart those series.

Non-fiction:

Longitude: Dava Sobel

Realm of Numbers: Asimov

Prime Curios!

Travels With a Donkey in the CĂƒÂ©vennes: Robert Louis Stevenson

Classics:

The Invention of Hugo Cabret

• Like 1

Sacha just finished rereading Peter Nimble and His Fantastic Eyes, which he adored, and has moved onto the sequel.

For school, he recently read the Green Glass Sea and Wind in the Willows.

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 1

Sacha just finished rereading Peter Nimble and His Fantastic Eyes, which he adored, and has moved onto the sequel.

For school, he recently read the Green Glass Sea and Wind in the Willows.

If you're looking for more after reading Green Glass Sea, I highly recommend the non-fiction book called Bomb. It was excellent.

• Like 1

Our current audiobook is the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler.  We are still early in it.  The girl reminds me of myself and my kids - oooooh the chores are so hard and unfair!!!!

My kids are reading quick reads like Geronimo Stilton to try to rack up AR points I suppose.  :p  Oh and my reader discovered the Horrible Histories and Horrible Science series I bought them years ago - it had been in a box in the closet since they didn't like it at first.  Now she is reading through those.

Not much progress on our read-aloud.  I did read some short books just to move them from the "to read" to the "hand down" pile.

I am enjoying Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.  A little light reading.  :)

Edited by SKL
  • Like 2

Our current audiobook is the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler.  We are still early in it.  The girl reminds me of myself and my kids - oooooh the chores are so hard and unfair!!!!

My kids are reading quick reads like Geronimo Stilton to try to rack up AR points I suppose.  :p  Oh and my reader discovered the Horrible Histories and Horrible Science series I bought them years ago - it had been in a box in the closet since they didn't like it at first.  Now she is reading through those.

Not much progress on our read-aloud.  I did read some short books just to move them from the "to read" to the "hand down" pile.

Ds9 bought these sets (histories, geography and science) with the b'day cash from his granny this summer and reading them like crazy. I've opened one and, oh my gosh, it's really horrible and so disgusting  :D

Beside those ones he is also re-reading Murderous Maths and is finishing Redwall. For next week he has Stig of the Dump and Treasure Island.

Little one recently read The Invention of Hugo Cabret. He loved it so much that he asked me to buy all the books by Brian Selznick. They are on the way, so guess he will be busy for some time  :001_smile:

Meanwhile he is reading The One and Only Ivan and fifth time Chess for Kids by Richard James  :001_smile:

I am finishing Elon Musk and there are a few books waiting for me to be read: Rich Dad, Poor Dad, As a Man Thinketh, The Way to Wealth:Ben Franklin on Money and Success, Hillbilly Elegy and Mastering Bitcoin.

Hubby is busy working, so reading mostly news and something about his soccer :sneaky2:

• Like 1

Ds9 bought these sets (histories, geography and science) with the b'day cash from his granny this summer and reading them like crazy. I've opened one and, oh my gosh, it's really horrible and so disgusting  :D

As I recall, my youngest's first comment was "OK, this is inappropriate."  I think she was about 7 when I bought them.

She now seems to like books about horrible crimes etc., so I decided to dig and find those books - she had thought I'd given them away.

But, she still wants them moved to a location that is not near where she sleeps.  :P

• Like 1

As I recall, my youngest's first comment was "OK, this is inappropriate."  I think she was about 7 when I bought them.

She now seems to like books about horrible crimes etc., so I decided to dig and find those books - she had thought I'd given them away.

But, she still wants them moved to a location that is not near where she sleeps.  :p

Ds is mad about these books, but he loves similar stuff :scared:  Last year he had a craze for David Walliams. He read all his books in a couple of weeks :D

Last Christmas DDnow16 asked for and received Frankenstein, Dracula, and several other classics.  She loves them for bedtime reading.  She says she only dreams about stuff she reads or encounters earlier in the day, never what she reads at bedtime.  

She didn't care for Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children, however--didn't finish it at all.  She was rather creeped out by it.  Didn't like the movie that much, either (saw it first, I think).

• Like 1

DD has discovered the horrible Rainbow Magic Fairy books. She reads them rather quickly and I try and balance them with higher quality books. She's also reading:

Zoey and Sassafras Monsters and Mold

Ivy & Bean

The Storm Dragon (Secret Rescuers series)

Our audiobook is Clementine

Read aloud: Cilla-Lee Jenkins Author Extraordinaire 

She's also started reading in Spanish for school. Right now it is just simple guided reading books but her Spanish reading ability is way higher than her comprehension and understanding level. 

• Like 1

Finished the audiobook of Mixed-Up Files (which we enjoyed) and now we're doing Bud, Not Buddy.

I finished Jekyll & Hyde and am reading the various Stevenson short stories that were also included in the book.  Not really my favorite, but I like to finish books I start if possible.  :)

The kids - still reading silly stuff as far as I know.  We're still getting used to the school & activities routine.

• Like 1

DS 10 just started Norse Myths by Neil Gaimen, twins are reading Mary Poppins as a read aloud and On the Banks of Plum Creek as an audiobook in the car.

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m reading LetĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Play Math, Planting Seeds, a few yoga books and the second Louise Penny book, although I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t like it as much as the first. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve read this one is a weaker title of the series so IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m trying to follow through. I still have Americanah going but I have had to back burner it to catch up on other reading.

• Like 2

DD has discovered the horrible Rainbow Magic Fairy books. She reads them rather quickly and I try and balance them with higher quality books. She's also reading:

Zoey and Sassafras Monsters and Mold

Ivy & Bean

The Storm Dragon (Secret Rescuers series)

Our audiobook is Clementine

Read aloud: Cilla-Lee Jenkins Author Extraordinaire 

She's also started reading in Spanish for school. Right now it is just simple guided reading books but her Spanish reading ability is way higher than her comprehension and understanding level. 

Ah, yes, those Rainbow Magic Fairy books.

I remember when my youngest daughter was 4ish, she LOVED those books. It was a moment of pure joy to find a different one available at the library.

Although it was an intense passion at the time, it was *very* short lived (only a matter of a couple of months), and I believe that those books really built her endurance and confidence in independent reading, as much as I disliked them  :)

11yr old: Lots on the go at the moment - Dark Prophecy, Anastasia series, Equal Rites (from Discworld series)

Non-fiction reading together: The Code Book by Simon Singh. We are loving this book. It's cryptography + history. Truly excellent. 

Me: Bone Labyrinth by James Rollins. I love his books. They are action + science + history all somehow wrapped up into an easy fiction read. Unfortunately, whoever had this from the library before me wears a very strong perfume and has left this book all stinky  :ack2:

A little semi-public thank you to our dear, dear friend Pegs who gifted both Equal Rites and The Code Book to my daughter  :001_wub: . The fact that they're from you Pegs makes them extra special and extra loved.

• Like 3

A little semi-public thank you to our dear, dear friend Pegs who gifted both Equal Rites and The Code Book to my daughter :001_wub: . The fact that they're from you Pegs makes them extra special and extra loved.

Aww, Chooky! <3

Thank you for trusting my judgment with regard to your DD's literature selection. I was very nervous putting my top picks in the post for her!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Audiobooks:  we finished Johnny Tremain, which was very much enjoyed.

I had taken out 3 audiobooks from a library we normally don't visit, including JT, Because of Winn-Dixie, and Walk Two Moons.  Unfortunately (or fortunately), my kids had already heard the latter two in English class at school.  However, we are doing Walk Two Moons anyway because one of my kids wants to listen again, and so do I.  :)  Meanwhile, the next middle school book club selection is Number the Stars - same deal - they heard it in school, but they want to listen again and so do I.

We are running out of good audiobooks at the library.  I really want to get through all the Newberry books one way or another, but I don't want it to cost me a ton.

I think my mom or sister will give us one or two audiobooks for my kid's birthday this week.

Read-aloud:  Praise the Lord, we finally finished The Phantom Tollbooth.  Now I am reading Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, which is young for them, but we are going to NYC later this week so I decided to do a quick fun book in a NYC setting.  They like it, so I might follow up with Superfudge.

Individual reading:  one kid is doing easy stuff like Dork Diaries and such.  The other kid has a pile of different stuff - Marguerite Henry horse stories, some book about horror movies, and the modern popular middle school girl stuff (monster descendants, android thrillers, whatever).

Myself, I finished the Robert Louis Stevenson book of stories that I was reading, and have gone back to a dry nonfiction book that my brother bought me years ago.  I don't have the heart to tell him I don't love the book.  :p  I have roughly 200 pages left, after which I will throw a secret party for myself.  :p

Edited by SKL
  • Like 1

Inspired by runningmom's Ada Twist thread, I thought I'd ask what everyone is reading with their kids and also for yourselves. It's great to get some new ideas from others.

This is us right now:

DD10 - independently reading Twilight (the reversed gender one)

- together with me - The Absolute Value of Mike (by Kathryn Erskine of Mockingbird fame)

- nonfiction together for fun - Murderous Maths The Phantom X

Me(40-something, lost count a while back) - Fiction - The Book of Secrets by Elizabeth Joy Arnold

- Non-fiction - Misdiagnosis and Dual-diagnosis of Gifted Children by James Webb et al

My reading: Just finished Reincarnation Blues & The Address. Both were good. Started The Book Thief yesterday. 

DD15: Independent for school -- A Prayer for Owen Meany (I'm trying to keep up with her on this, but failing); Independent for fun - various books from the library on computers, autism, and aquariums.

DD12: Independent for school - Jamestown: Blood on the River; Independent for fun - various nursing textbooks bought at library sale, and books form the library on diseases and fiction science fiction books.

DD10: Independent for school - My Brother Sam is Dead; Independent for fun - fiction horse books & American Girl books

DD12 & 10: Read - Aloud - Johnny Tremain

• Like 1

Audiobook: we finished listening to Clementine and IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m trying to decide what to do next. Maybe Henry Huggins.

DD5 is readig Ivy and Bean and has 2 pages left. She wants to read the rest of the series. I put two more on hold at the library.

DD and I are buddy reading The Witch Family by Eleanor Estes. Now that sheĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s reading a ton on her own, she has no desire to read a whole chapter aloud to me so weĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve been doing a paragraph each. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s been a good way to guage her reading ability.

• Like 1

DS Robby 8, is reading A Mouse Called Wolf by Dick King Smith

Read Aloud is Out of the Silent Planet just finished and moving on to the sequel, Perelandra

Audiobook in the car is Peter Pan read by Jim Dale on deck is The Hobbit read by Rob Inglis

Librivox on my phone for quiet time is Voyages of Doctor Dolittle

• Like 1

I just finished a biography of Abigail Adams and am in the middle of The Everlasting Man (GK Chesterton). I recently reread A Wrinkle in Time (hadn't read it since I was a teen). I reread it because DD9 got halfway through and was quite literally incapacitated by fear.  She wanted to finish but I took it away from her for now...will let her revisit in a year or two. Is that mean? She was incapacitated....

DD9 just finished Robinson Crusoe, about to start Kidnapped.

DS7 is reading OmKasToe

Family readalouds are The Little White Horse (Goudge) and Our Island Story (kids really like the short chapters as bedtime stories).

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

A (11) : repeatedly reading the Anastasia series by Lois Lowry; Matthew Reilly's Seven Ancient Wonders 

Together: We just finished Code Talkers and also Phineas Gage. We're also reading Radium Girls and The Tale of the Duelling Neurosurgeons. Sachiko just arrived and I can't wait to get started on it. So many books. Not enough hours in the day.

Me: Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow

My husband just finished reading Out of the Silent Planet to our Robby (8).  Now I hear things like "Hugo if you do not behave Daddy will poof bang you."  Hugo is our dog.  Just for the record, we would NEVER kill our dog.  So many new things from the Malacandrians speech in our day to day now.  I think we'll have to do other books with language translations.  Not now, but later definitely 1984.  doubleplusgood!  This is very interesting to Robby.  Also he describes evil, like in the Lord's Prayer, "deliver us from the evil one" as the bent man one.  

• Like 1

DH has been trying to read "Alice in Wonderland" to DD5 before bed. She would fall asleep a paragraph in. So I got the audio book to listen to it. I told her we will send the book back to the library. She asked to keep it and wants Daddy to read it to her during the day cuddled with him on the recliner.

• Like 1

Me: I'm doing PopSugar's reading challenge for 2018 and one for my local library, so I'm reading a variety of topics and genres this year. I just finished last night A Thinking Woman's Guide to Real Magic last night. Good story, but she could've edited out about 200 pages and the ending (or non-ending) was bad. Apparently, it's a series and she just decided to end it there so you have to read the next book. Made me cranky - "I read through 500+ pages, and you're not even going to wrap it up!" It worked out as one of my challenge prompts is an open ending. I am starting Purple Dots, a spy thriller today. 

With kids ages 10 & 12: The Hobbit, about halfway through. We're doing Build Your Library's unit study with it. They're reading D'Aulaire's Norse Myths and Myth-maker along with it.

16 year old: various books on politics. For school, Of Mice and Men.

12 year old: The Seeds of America trilogy (Chains, Forge, Ashes) I think she just started Forge.

10 year old: Re-reading the Lemony Snickett Unfortunate Events series - she's whipping through them very, very quickly.  

• Like 1

Has it really been that long since I posted?

Since my last post, the audiobooks my kids and I have shared have included Harriet the Spy, The Watsons Go to Birmingham, and Oliver Twist.  Seems there was another one in there too, but I can't remember what.  Right now we are listening to Little Men.  Next up is the book club selection Extra Credit.

Read-alouds have been just silly easy or short stories, as I'm trying to get through a pile of books I want to hand down.  I have some ideas for when we get done with these.

My reader blew through the Wings of Fire and Canterwood Crest series as well as some dozens of other books.  Can't keep up with her.  Currently she's reading Nancy Drew, and has asked me to buy her more N.D and also Hardy Boys books.  I told her she needs to clean up her bedroom first!

My less enthusiastic reader has found a series she likes - the Dopplegangers?  I have no experience with these books, but I'm glad she is motivated to read them.  Actually her motivation to read has been slowly increasing over the past couple months.  Yay!

Myself, I am currently reading Uncle Tom's Cabin.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

DD has discovered the horrible Rainbow Magic Fairy books. She reads them rather quickly and I try and balance them with higher quality books. She's also 

I so remember this - cringing at the choices, but realizing that they were reading them quickly so there was time to push the better books. Rainbow Magic Fairies was, thank goodness, a short phase. I remember finding a better book, then reading them the first chapter and stopping it on a cliff hanger, and then leaving the book on a table for them to find.

I don't know why, but I never classify comic books that way... maybe I think of them as entertainment and the reading is a bonus  :)

My kids are reading First Nations mythology because they've decided they want to write a novel together. They have stacks of adult books out of the library. We actually saw a new set of murals this week painted by first nations artists and they could tell me all the myths that they represent... cool! 

post-90564-0-17570200-1519786096_thumb.jpg

Edited by pinewarbler
  • Like 2

I rarely post on the forum, but this is too much fun!

Dd 13 is reading Gilgamesh, Universe Next Door, and Total Truth. Total Truth is a book that explains a worldview that is different from ours, so it provides for great discussion.

Ds 12 is reading Unwanteds and William Wilberforce

Ds 9 is reading.... everything... I can't seem to keep track. I think right now it's Hatchet by Gary Paulson.

Me- The Map that Changed the World by Simon Winchester( this is so good! I want to read all of his books!)

Tortured Master, a biography of R. Nachman

Everything Belongs by Richard Rohr

Edited by quietchapel
  • Like 2

Myself, I am currently reading Uncle Tom's Cabin.

How is it? It's on my list as a possible "Classic I never read" for the year, but I can't decide. I was going to read it with my older kids this school year, but it doesn't look like we will get to it.

Me: Just finished The Cat who Could Read Backward (prompt: animal in the title), and I've started Becoming Marie Antoinette (prompt: fictionalized account of real person). Cat was just ok; so far, I really like Marie. Author has envisioned her a little spunkier than she probably was in the 1700s. Middle DD just got her braces last week, and oldest is getting hers off today, so when I got to the part where they slapped braces on Marie's teeth, I was cringing - 1700s orthodontia is truly, truly terrifying!

Together with Dd 16: We finally finished A Prayer for Owen Meany (DD says the heavens opened up and sang the Hallelujah chorus when we finished!), and moved on to Edgar Allan Poe.

Together with kids 12 & 10: Still traveling with the Hobbit.

DD 16: She is reading all sorts of psychology, neurology, etc in a quest to understand the autism spectrum.

DD 12: My nephew dropped off his CNA textbooks he couldn't sell back, and she is deep in learning about medical care. She loves medical textbooks. Yesterday, she also read through a book on the Influenza epidemic of 1918.

DD 10: She is reading through the Descendants novels since we have to read the first one as our fairy tale genre for Mother Daughter book club (I'll be reading it this weekend). 

Edited: typo

Edited by beckyjo
  • Like 1

How is it? It's on my list as a possible "Classic I never read" for the year, but I can't decide. I was going to read it with my older kids this school year, but it doesn't look like we will get to it.

Uncle Tom's Cabin - I'm about halfway through it.  It's much better than I expected.  An enjoyable read and especially interesting given the time when it was written.  I was expecting it to be kind of stupid since people nowadays refer to it only with cynicism.  I wonder why this isn't more recommended for teens / young adults to read.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished a wonderful book, The One-in-a-Million Boy. The boy in the story is quirky and obsessed with Guineas World Records. HeĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s very Ă¢â‚¬Å“spectrum-yĂ¢â‚¬ or maybe he just has anxiety, either way he is definitely a GT kid. It was a lovely, but emotional book.

• Like 1

Me:

God and Money (Cortines)

Lord of the Rings (audible)

DD

Washington Irving short stories

Lassie Come Home

Ann of the Islands (audible)

DS

My side of the mountain

Ann of the islands (audible)

Robin Hood, Howard Pyle

I fretted about DS because he read much later than his sister, but now he sneaks books at night. WeĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve confiscated multiple flashlights. Two night ago I caught him reading Aesops fables by the light of a ... glow stick

• Like 2

The current middle school book club selection is Seraphina.  It's a pretty long book.  Thus Little Men is still on hold until mid-April.

Our read-aloud is still the same as last post - most nights they just have too much homework.

Kid 1 is still reading Dopplegangers books.  Kid 2 is still doing whatever she wants.  She's up to about 600 AR points for the year (87 grade level books tested on, not including re-reads and books she didn't want to test on).

The kids' teacher read Hatchet aloud.  Since I had bought the book last summer, I decided to read it too (individually).  :P  Don't want to miss out.  :P

Currently I am reading Condoleezza Rice's Democracy book.

• Like 1

I just finished a wonderful book, The One-in-a-Million Boy. The boy in the story is quirky and obsessed with Guineas World Records. HeĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s very Ă¢â‚¬Å“spectrum-yĂ¢â‚¬ or maybe he just has anxiety, either way he is definitely a GT kid. It was a lovely, but emotional book.

I've just gone and put this one on hold at my library. Thanks for the recommendation. Can't wait to read it.

• Like 1

Me:

God and Money (Cortines)

Lord of the Rings (audible)

DD

Washington Irving short stories

Lassie Come Home

Ann of the Islands (audible)

DS

My side of the mountain

Ann of the islands (audible)

Robin Hood, Howard Pyle

I fretted about DS because he read much later than his sister, but now he sneaks books at night. WeĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve confiscated multiple flashlights. Two night ago I caught him reading Aesops fables by the light of a ... glow stick

A glow stick!! I love it  :laugh: . 

My daughter (11) is currently enjoying Neil Gaiman. She read The Graveyard Book and has just started Interworld, and is loving it.

She still re-reads and re-re-reads the Anastasia series by Lois Lowry to get herself to sleep.

Together we are reading When My Name Was Keoko. This is a novel set in Korea when it was occupied by Japan. We're loving it. 

We're also reading Writing For Story, which is about how to write narrative non-fiction.

I've just finished A Man Called Ove and I'm feeling a bit book-lost at the moment. I have a fun YA book I may read next. I'm hoping Amber's rec comes in quickly at my library.

I'm also reading a pretty heavy textbook called OCD in Children and Adolescents.

Uncle Tom's Cabin - I'm about halfway through it.  It's much better than I expected.  An enjoyable read and especially interesting given the time when it was written.  I was expecting it to be kind of stupid since people nowadays refer to it only with cynicism.  I wonder why this isn't more recommended for teens / young adults to read.

I read it at the appropriate age and remember finding it a fairly easy read. One I would not dread re-reading.