Menu

Middle names that go with Rose?

ktgrok

I think we are fairly sure this baby girl's name will be Rose, but I'm struggling with a middle name. I like Rose Elizabeth, but he doesn't like Elizabeth. Weird. Anyway, this is our list of possible names. If we use Rose, obviously Rosalie or Rosemary are not middle name contenders, lol. But the rest stand. What do you think sounds good with Rose? I've got a few thoughts, but would love an outside opinion. 

Grace

Violet

Rose

Madeline

Mercy

Fiona

Nora

Cora

Beatrix (Trixie)

Rosemary

Winifred

Anabelle

Olive

Rosalie

Margaret

Hazel

Sarah

Rose sounds best to me AS the middle name, but otherwise, I like the greater number of syllables to balance the name. Rose Annabel or Rose Madeline. I would not do a simple middle like Grace unless I made the first name Rosemary or Rosalie. Rosemary Grace is gorgeous.

• Like 14

If Rose is definitely the first name I would go for a longer middle name. I don't personally like two one syllable names together for flow. Rose Madeleine and Rose Annabel.

Rose violet is too many flowers for my taste and Rose Margaret just sounds like it should be switched around. Margaret Rose is beautiful though.

• Like 2

I think we are fairly sure this baby girl's name will be Rose, but I'm struggling with a middle name. I like Rose Elizabeth, but he doesn't like Elizabeth. Weird. Anyway, this is our list of possible names. If we use Rose, obviously Rosalie or Rosemary are not middle name contenders, lol. But the rest stand. What do you think sounds good with Rose? I've got a few thoughts, but would love an outside opinion.

Grace

Violet

Rose

Madeline

Mercy

Fiona

Nora

Cora

Beatrix (Trixie)

Rosemary

Winifred

Anabelle

Olive

Rosalie

Margaret

Hazel

Sarah

Rose Elizabeth was my pick before I read your list or comments. :/

I like Rose Madeline

• Like 1

I like Rose Elizabeth too.

Rose Margaret is pretty.

Rose Noelle

Rose Nicole

Rose Michelle

Rose Olivia

Rose Katherine

(Also, I hear you on the DH not liking the names you like. DH and I have only ever agreed on one girl name, and we used it. We never did settle on a girl name for any of the boys, and we never knew ahead of time with any of them. If this baby is a boy, we are out of names, and if it's a girl, which DH and DD say is unlikely, hahaha, finding one we both like is going to be tough. My favorite combination has not changed in the twelve years since we were expecting our second baby, so I'm going to lobby hard for it. But we have not even discussed names yet)

Edited by happypamama

I just can't get around to thinking of Rose as a first name.  We have two Roses (dd and gdd), but Rose is a middle name.  Maybe Rose Margaret or Rose Olivia.  I feel like the middle name needs more than one syllable with Rose.  My first choice would be Rose Elizabeth, but I guess that's out.

I have a Rachael Rose

My granddaughter is Evelyn Rose

Rose Evelyn.... hmmm...

Rose sounds best to me AS the middle name, but otherwise, I like the greater number of syllables to balance the name. Rose Annabel or Rose Madeline. I would not do a simple middle like Grace unless I made the first name Rosemary or Rosalie. Rosemary Grace is gorgeous.

Ooh, I like Rosemary Grace! And you are right, I don't like Rose Grace by itself. 

• Like 2

Rose is my middle name so it's difficult for me to think of it as a first name. My first name has two syllables, middle name one, and my maiden name had two. I like when a name has a flow to it. I like all of the names you have on the list with Rose as the middle name. 

Baby naming is HARD!! I'm sure whatever you choose will fit your baby perfectly! 

• Like 1

Though I don't love the middle name alone, Rose Winifred is adorable, as is Rose Hazel, especially if she is a Rosalie.

I think Rose Winifred is my favorite :)  I don't like Winifred on it's own (although the reason it made the list is Fred from the show Angel, lol). But I like it together. I test them out by imagining me yelling at a child standing on a chair or something...something serious where I'd use the full name. 

I wanted to name my oldest dd Rose but it somehow didn't seem comolete. I wanted Jenna-Rose or Gretchen-Rose, both hyphenated, but dh wasn't crazy about those names. We went with Christa-Rose and have ALWAYS called her Rose. She is going to.legally change her name to Rose.

I never liked the names Roseanne or Rosemary.

Of all the names above, I only like Rose Marie.:)

Marie. Rose Marie. My MIL was Rosemary. I named my dd's Jean Marie and Jaclyn Rose, and a SIL named her dd Mary Rose. I vote Rose Marie. Or - pick a different first name with Rose as the middle name BUT call her by her middle name.

Most of the names on your list, it just sounds better using Rose as a middle name.

Rose Marie is my vote.  I also thought Rose Ann at first but then it made me think of Roseanne Barr.

Yes, I love the name Anne (husband vetoed it as a first name, the gall of him!!!! He's never even READ Anne of Green Gables!) but don't want it to sound like Roseanne. 

I worry that Rose Marie would sound like "Rosemary" and get confusing as well. But otherwise like it, Marie is my own middle name :)

I like Rose Elizabeth too.

Rose Margaret is pretty.

Rose Noelle

Rose Nicole

Rose Michelle

Rose Olivia

Rose Katherine

(Also, I hear you on the DH not liking the names you like. DH and I have only ever agreed on one girl name, and we used it. We never did settle on a girl name for any of the boys, and we never knew ahead of time with any of them. If this baby is a boy, we are out of names, and if it's a girl, which DH and DD say is unlikely, hahaha, finding one we both like is going to be tough. My favorite combination has not changed in the twelve years since we were expecting our second baby, so I'm going to lobby hard for it. But we have not even discussed names yet)

Oh, I'd love Rose Katherine, or Rose Kathleen, but he vetoed those too! (although...that was as a first name...maybe I could get it in there as a middle name!). My mom's name is Kathleen. 

• Like 2

Ok, I'm going to make another push for Kathleen as a middle name..maybe he'll go for it. Although I vetoed "danger" as a middle name for the last kid and he hasn't let me forget it. We totally should have used it. 

Otherise I like Rose Winifred, Rose Margaret, and Rose Madeline. Rose Margaret may be my new favorite, it sounds so delightfully old fashioned, lol. 

• Like 2

Rose Margaret may be my new favorite, it sounds so delightfully old fashioned, lol. 

Rose Margaret really has a nice sound to it. 

My daughter is Julia Rose. My mom is Jeanette Rose. :-)

Roses make a beautiful nursery and then transition easily to a gorgeous little girl's room. My daughter's room is so peaceful and calm--totally unlike her!! (lol)

• Like 1

Madeline Rose or Margaret Rose -- Maddie and Molly, Meg and Molly. But since you have a Michael, I would not leave Jack out of having a matching initial. (Kids can be oddly sensitive. My sister, the fourth, is the only one without a Biblical first name, and she's always been sensitive about that.)

Love Sarah Rose! And it fits really well with the other names. So would Nora Rose and Cora Rose, IMO. I love the sound of Violet Rose and think it would fit too, but you could be getting into too cutesy with two flower names. Julia Rose appeals to me too, although that's not on your list.

Oh, I'd love Rose Katherine, or Rose Kathleen, but he vetoed those too! (although...that was as a first name...maybe I could get it in there as a middle name!). My mom's name is Kathleen.

Oh I love rose Kathleen especially since it is your moms name. If you like your mom of course.

• Like 1

Rosemary Grace, or, Cora Rose, or, Nora Rose, would be lovely. :)

Totally agree here. There is a musicality to putting the 1-syllable "Rose" in the middle, between 2-syllable or multi-syllable first and last names Putting the 1-syllable. JMO: "Rose" first and then trying to follow up with 2-syllables is like stopping the sound.... and then, stumblingly trying to pick... it up again with the middle and last names. Two 1-syllable names in a row is even more jarring, like harsh.gun.shots.  :scared:

Maybe alliteration would help get past stumbling on a 1-syllable first name??

- Rose Ranee       (ruh NAY) -- ("Ranee" means "counsel; song")

- Rose Rachelle    (rah SHELL) -- ("Rachelle" means "lamb")

- Rose Rayel         (ray YELL)

- Rose Rianna       (ree AH nah) -- ("Rianna" means "virtuous"; or "sweet basil")

- Rose Rylee         (RYE lee)  -- ("Rylee" means "valiant; courageous")

Alliteration helps with a few 1-syllable / 1-syllable combinations, too:

- Rose Rae (ray) -- ("Rae" means "doe")

- Rose Raine (rain) -- (that is a lovely image -- raining rose petals :) )

Other 2-syllable and multi-syllable variations on Rose: 

- Rosamund    ("rose of the world" -- heroine from Shakespeare's As You Like It!)

- Rosabelle     ("beautiful rose")

- Rosanda      ("graceful rose")

- Rosanna      ("graceful rose")

- Rosalyn       ("of the rose blossom")

- Rosalind      ("pretty rose")

- Rosalinda    ("pretty rose")

- Rosaria        (which means "rosary" :) )

Edited by Lori D.

Madeline Rose or Margaret Rose -- Maddie and Molly, Meg and Molly. But since you have a Michael, I would not leave Jack out of having a matching initial. (Kids can be oddly sensitive. My sister, the fourth, is the only one without a Biblical first name, and she's always been sensitive about that.)

Love Sarah Rose! And it fits really well with the other names. So would Nora Rose and Cora Rose, IMO. I love the sound of Violet Rose and think it would fit too, but you could be getting into too cutesy with two flower names. Julia Rose appeals to me too, although that's not on your list.

We think alike, I do worry about him being the only non M name! I wanted a J name to go with him, but couldn't find one I really like. I also like Violet Rose, but have the same fear. I think if we did Margaret we'd go with Maggie as a nickname over Meg, as we know a Meg but could be wrong. 

My daughter also has a one-syllable first name, and for reasons I'm not clear on myself, I thought that three-syllable middle names sounded best with it.  I like Rose Madeline.  We went with Calista, which I think would also sound nice with Rose.  I like Lucy Stoner's suggestion of Rose Evangeline too.  So I guess four syllables works as well!   :001_smile:

I like it with any of the 3-syllable options except Violet (which might be 2 syllables, depending on how you pronounce it). That sounds like saying two colors to me.

If you have a Jack, get ready for the Titanic comments. :)

Oh crud! I didn't even THINK of that! I hate movies, lol. We almost went with Fiona for my DD, instead of Molly, but everyone said people would think of the character from Shrek. (we were thinking of the character from Burn Notice...big difference). And we like the name Anna, but with Frozen don't really want to go there. (at least, I like it, probably not DH). And I didn't want to do Jill because of Jack and Jill. (I know not a movie, but still)

SaveSave