Menu

I like this article

Stacia

thanks for that, stacia

I needed it, and I've gotta show it to my 11 year old, who has recently decided her life is Awful and Terrible and Unfair because she is not the only child of millionaires, and so sometimes her house is messy and loud and the furniture doesn't match.  Hearing her constant distress about it (generally brought on by visiting friends' houses where there are only 1 or 2 kids with a SAHM who cleans and crafts all day) has started to bleed into my on view of our home.  

• Like 3

That was a good article! I think it's a very helpful perspective to have. And not that gratitude means we cannot ever change things or even upgrade, but that we do it on our budget and because it brings us joy or improves function, not because someone else says we should.

I'm big on designing life to fit what we actually need and want, not what someone else things I should buy into. And once again with a big fat dose of gratitude and perspective. Bingo!

I find the title misleading since the article had nothing to do with the house being messy.

In Glennon's defense, she originally titled her piece, "Give me liberty or give me debt".

if you haven't read her first book, "Carry On, Warrior", I highly recommend it. It made me laugh and weep and then laugh again. She's awesome. I'm on the library waiting list for her 2nd book, "Love Warrior" and I can't wait to read it.

The article is humorous, but it makes an excellent point.

Laundry to fold means my children have warm clothing in the winter.

Medicine refills to get mean my asthma is controlled so that I'm able to

High gas costs mean we have a reliable car, and a job for my husband.

Grocery bags to lug and high grocery bills mean that I can afford to feed my family nutritious food.

Dishes to wash mean my family ate food.

High electricity bill means we can heat and cool our house so that we're comfortable.

Dirty floors mean my children have a safe place to play outside, and leisure to do so.

Piles of books and papers means I have the opportunity and ability to educate my children.

Payment for my van means I am blessed to have enough children to need one.

When I think about things in those terms, bills and cleaning aren't quite so much drudgery. ;)

• Like 1

In Glennon's defense, she originally titled her piece, "Give me liberty or give me debt".

if you haven't read her first book, "Carry On, Warrior", I highly recommend it. It made me laugh and weep and then laugh again. She's awesome. I'm on the library waiting list for her 2nd book, "Love Warrior" and I can't wait to read it.

Ohhhh is she the writer who got divorced while writing a book about marriage?

Or something along those lines?

I randomly came across an article she wrote about that through Twitter or something, having never heard of her or her website before. It was very compelling. She didn't HAVE to announce her divorce before her book about marriage was published, but she did. I liked it.

Or something along those lines?

I randomly came across an article she wrote about that through Twitter or something, having never heard of her or her website before. It was very compelling. She didn't HAVE to announce her divorce before her book about marriage was published, but she did. I liked it.

That's her. She's really awesome.

I had read that article before and I really liked it too. I don't feel compelled to update things just because other people think they should be. When we bought our house, my MIL said, "what a nice kitchen! Those cabinets could sure use updating though." I clearly remember thinking "screw you". I didn't waste a minute wondering if she was right.

• Like 2

That's her. She's really awesome.

You must be thinking of someone else... she isn't divorced! Her first book was about her work overcome addiction and alcoholism and surviving with depression and anxiety. She's hilarious and insightful and a great writer.

Holy %$#@, how did I miss that!!!!?!?!?!?!?

I follow her on facebook, twitter, instagram, and get her email updates.... seriously, I can't BELIEVE that I missed that.  :huh: I'm stunned...

I saw this on FB but I haven't followed her  so it didn't much to me at the time, although I did think it well written.

I really enjoyed the article and requested her book, I've got a feeling it will resonate with me at this point in my life.

• 2 months later...