Menu

Book a Week 2016 - BW36: September Sojourns through the South

Robin M

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished the contemporary romance Appealed (The Legal Briefs Series)  by Emma Chase.  It was a pleasant read but probably not a book I'll re-read.  (Adult content)

"When Brent Mason looks at Kennedy Randolph, he doesn’t see the awkward, sweet girl who grew up next door. He sees a self-assured, stunning woman…who wants to crush the most intimate—and prized—parts of his anatomy beneath the heels of her Louboutins.

When Kennedy looks at Brent, all she sees is the selfish, Abercrombie & Fitch catalogue–worthy teenager who humiliated her in high school in order to join the popular crowd. A crowd that made those years a living hell for her.

But she’s not a lovesick social outcast anymore—she’s a Washington, DC, prosecutor with a long winning streak. Brent is the opposing attorney in her next case, and Kennedy thinks it’s time to put him through a little hell of his own.

But things aren’t exactly working out the way she planned. Brent has his sights set on Kennedy, and every fiery exchange only makes him want her more—and makes her wonder if he’s as passionate in the bedroom as he is in the courtroom. In the end, they may just find themselves in love…or in contempt of court."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

Almost done with Saramago's Blindness. Well-written, though I keep seeing the inevitable (which I gather did occur) movie version in my mind's eye, the first post-apocalyptic casualty of which would certainly be Saramago's run-on prose. He has a tricky row to hoe, centering a novel on an event--universal blindness--so heavily symbolic that it's almost not even a metaphor anymore, without falling into triteness on the one hand or mere science fiction on the other. Dh apparently thought that I would be disturbed by the rape scene, but is happy that I like Saramago. Probably not enough to linger in my reading at the turn of the last century however.

Ah, 1984. The year that quiet math-prodigy kid I knew in middle school came back to the US and started hanging out with my crowd in high school. I wonder what became of him in the end.

• Like 7

1984- I was 20, married, and living in Sicily with my Navy husband.

I'm halfway through The Bell Jar. It is extraordinarily similar to The Catcher in the Rye. It has the same feeling that you are being carried around in someone's head but disassociated from events. There is the intelligent ability to manipulate words and language, yet a baffled innocence and naïveté about emotions, plus the reluctance to launch into a scary adult world that doesn't seem to hold anything pleasant to look forward to but a lot to disgust. (How's that for a run on sentence.)

The differences can be seen in the feminine versus masculine points of view. The boy's anxiety arrived much sooner than the girl's, which can be understood in light of cultural expectations. The Bell jar is also softer, kind of like sinking slowly in quick sand versus wrestling with a boa constrictor.

Edited by Onceuponatime
  • Like 8

I've spent some delicious hours revising Shannon's English plan, to focus on reading like a writer as opposed to doing history-based lit reading.  Having so much fun putting together resources and lists of short stories and novels. Lots of pre-reading in my future!

I know Robin and some others of you are writers: what are your very favorite writing books/books about writing?  I like Steven King's On Writing, Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird, Francine Prose's Reading Like a Writer.  Others on my radar that I haven't read yet are Ursula LeGuin's Steering the Craft, Annie Dillard's The Writing Life and Ray Bradbury's Zen and the Art of Writing, which got a favorable review from Robin recently. Any other favorite books by writers or about writing that I should be looking at? I'm looking primarily for creative/imaginative writing books, rather than academic writing instruction.

• Like 8

Hi All, may I join in, though very late to the party? :)  I've been intimidated by mere thought of signing up to read a book a week, but a while ago I clicked into one of these threads by accident and was taken in by the interesting conversation.  Then I thought I read I didn't have to actually commit to read a book every week?  And then this morning I accidentally clicked in here again.  My older two are off to college, my youngest is pretty much completely outsourced, and I need more brain food.  I'm trying to get back to reading more for myself, and I think this could give me both motivation and inspiration.  

This summer I signed up for a 3+3 reading challenge one dd's honors college was putting on (and we lame old parents were invited to join if wanted to :) )  Six books, of which three had to have some kind of common thematic element, or be by the same author, or something unifying. I'm still finishing up the last two in tandem, but I'm almost there.  I picked:

Bone and Bread by Saleema Nawaz.  I picked this up while in Montreal earlier this year.  "Orphaned as teenagers, [beena and Sadhana] have grown up under the exasperated watch of their Sikh uncle, who runs a bagel shop in Montreal's Hasidic community."  The story opens with the sudden death of Sadhana, and focuses on the sisters' relationship growing up in flashbacks, as well as Beena's coming to terms with her death, and also trying to solve a bit of a mystery around what exactly happened.  I enjoyed it.

Dime quién soy (Tell Me Who I Am) by Julia Navarro.  A journalist is hired by his aunt to solve the mystery of who his great-grandmother is (she abandoned her infant son - his grandfather - when he was only months old), just before the start of the Spanish Civil War.  Ends up she ran off with a communist agitator and has all kinds of adventure and intrigue over the course of the events of the 20th century.  Very long (100+ pages), but also enjoyed it.

Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys - another mid-century European historical fiction.  I heard about it first on NPR and then here, but didn't quite realize it was YA fiction till I picked it up from the library... very quick, easy read -  I found the language very simple..  Enjoyable, but I couldn't help comparing it to The Endless Steppe, a favorite of mine and a memoir rather than just fiction. 

American Gods by Neil Gaiman - I kept hearing raves, so thought I'd give it a go.  Hadn't read any Gaiman before.  Enjoyed it and all, but didn't find it all that - maybe my expectations had been set too high by all the praise.  How is it compared to other Gaiman?

In Zeiten des abnehmenden Lichts (In Times of Fading Light) by Eugen Ruge - my third mid-century European historical fiction, set in East Germany before and after the fall of the Wall.  I'm still reading it - about 1/4 in.  It jumps around a lot in time, telling the stories of three generations of the same family.  I try to read in German and Spanish regularly; it keeps my language fresh.  I find it much harder to find German fiction that pulls me in.  This seems fairly promising so far, but is also taking its time telling the story; I have yet to feel really connected to the characters.  In theme, reminds me of Wild Swans, which was about three generations of a family in China, also covering the arrival of communism, its rise through the cultural revolution, and the aftermath of Mao and the partial loosening of control.  That one focused on the female members of the family, maybe that made it more relatable?  I really enjoyed that one.

The Map that Changed the World by Simon Winchester - also midway through this one.  I'm finding I'm really enjoying nonfiction as I get older.  I'd had this one on my list to-read for a while.

Here's an enjoyable post from Book Riot for those who enjoy mythology ~ 

Dallying With The Gods: 16 Books About Gods And Mythology  by Nikki VanRy

I see some familiar titles listed as well as some that are new to me.

Cool list.  I've read American Gods (obviously, see above ;) ), The King Must Die (a favorite of mine, along with Bull from the Sea), and Till We Have Faces.  I see there are two books based on the Mahabarata - I wonder which one is the better read?

Anyway, that was a long hi - hope to keep reading along here and getting inspired by all you literary ladies! :)

• Like 13

Hi All, may I join in, though very late to the party? :)

Welcome, Matryoshka!  We are a very inclusive party, and the more, the merrier. 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about your summer reading challenge.

Dime quién soy (Tell Me Who I Am) by Julia Navarro.  A journalist is hired by his aunt to solve the mystery of who his great-grandmother is (she abandoned her infant son - his grandfather - when he was only months old), just before the start of the Spanish Civil War.  Ends up she ran off with a communist agitator and has all kinds of adventure and intrigue over the course of the events of the 20th century.

A couple of weeks ago the topic of alligators arose here on the thread.  The subject is clearly still on my mind because I misread the above as 'communist alligator' and did a double take!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

Last night I read All the Wrong Places (Bluewater Bay Book 14) by Ann Gallagher.  This book is 14th in a series in which different authors locate their characters in the same setting.  It can be read as a standalone book with no problem.  I chose to read this book for a challenge on another board (specializing in gay romance) to read a book outside one's usual genres.  (The unspoken understanding is that one's choice is still within the gay romance area.)  I was stymied by this challenge until I happened across this book with its asexual heroes. 

"Three cheating girlfriends in a row have given skateboarder Brennan Cross the same excuse: he wasn’t meeting their needs. Desperate and humiliated, he goes to the professionals at the local sex shop for advice.

Zafir Hamady, a sales clerk at Red Hot Bluewater, has an unusual theory: he doesn’t think Brennan is a bad lover. In fact, he doesn’t think Brennan is heterosexual. Or sexual at all, for that matter. He also can’t stop thinking about Brennan. But even if he’s right and Brennan really is asexual, that doesn’t mean Zafir has a chance. Brennan’s never dated a man, and Zafir’s never met anyone who’s game for a Muslim single father with a smart mouth and a GED.

Brennan’s always thought of himself as straight. But when sex is explicitly out of the mix, he finds himself drawn to Zafir for the qualities and interests they share. And Zafir can’t help enjoying Brennan’s company and the growing bond between Brennan and his son. They work well together, but with so many issues between them, doubts creep in, and Brennan’s struggle with his identity could push away the one person he didn’t know he could love."

This was an enjoyable story with minimal angst; it also educated me. I learned (please correct me if I'm wrong) that asexuality is a broad category which includes (amongst others) some who find sex repellent as well as some who have sex because they like to gift their partners with something that their partner enjoys.  The relationship between the characters in the book was chaste; however, the book does have content that conservative readers might find challenging (language plus mention of items carried at an adult store).

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

Book #84: Heroes, Gods, and Monsters of the Greek Myths by Bernard Evslin.  I pre-read it for my 5th grader who is actually reading it in school currently (and just devouring it).  I liked it a lot.  It's a lot of easy to understand (middle grade level) retellings of Greek myths and descriptions of people/gods/etc.  It's really getting my son interested in the myths.

I think I'm going to like my daughter having her license.  She drove herself (and her brother) to work yesterday.  She works at the place we take taekwondo.  She has an odd schedule.  Monday through Thursday she works 3:30-4:30 on the mat helping teach.  4:30 is when the girls who work there who go to public school arrive (high school ends just after 4 here).  Some days Ani is done at 4:30.  Other days they need her to do program director stuff behind the desk.  So we never know when she'll get done.  For example, Wednesday she was done a little after 5.  But yesterday she wasn't done until almost 8.  With her able to drive, we didn't have to worry about getting involved in doing something and then having to go pick them up.  That was nice.  Then this morning she took her brother and they went to a thrift store looking for 50s style clothes for a church dance tomorrow.  It's nerve-racking having her driving, though.

• Like 6

Welcome Matryoshka!

I just finished the relatively new paranormal book by one of my favourite author's Faith Hunter. She has spun off Nell a character from an earlier Jane Yellowrock book. The setting is the mountains outside of Knoxville. I really enjoyed it. Not sure if Robin has read it already.

• Like 6

Hi Matryoshka! :seeya:  Good to see you here in our group!

Re: Kareni's link of 16 books w/ Gods & Mythology -- I have had quite a few of these on my to-read list (though I deleted all of those lists the other day :lol: ). I do have a copy of American Gods sitting here but haven't gotten around to reading it. I do love Hounded; it's kind of fun beach reading. (My dd loves that series.) I read The Palace of Illusions earlier this year & really enjoyed it. Dd is currently having to read Till We Have Faces but in her opinion C.S. Lewis drones on & on too much. :laugh:  (I have no idea because I've never read it.)

My foot was starting to bruise by my toes, so I went to the doctor today & got an x-ray. Fortunately, it is not broken, though I'm supposed to keep my foot elevated & iced pretty often, as well-as taking some anti-inflammatory meds he gave me. He seemed quite impressed w/ the large scab on my knee. :lol: We always discuss books & one he recommended to me is Black Chalk, so I just requested a copy of it. Has anyone read it?

I still need to read some banned books this month. And, in pre-planning for next month, does anyone have any suggestions of spooky reading? (I don't like straight-up horror/gross stuff, but spooky or eerie should be ok. Vampires are always a plus, imo.)

• Like 6

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!  Hopefully I'll finish the two books I'm reading soon so I can have something new to say sometime... ;)  

I saw Henrietta Lacks mentioned upthread - I did finally get around to reading that earlier this year - by brother had lent it to me ages ago.  Once i got into it it was very engaging to read, worth sticking with it.

I'm also forcing to dd15 to listen to Huckleberry Finn with me in the car - does that get me any points toward Banned Books?  Or is that one only challenged? :)

• Like 9

This was an enjoyable story with minimal angst; it also educated me. I learned (please correct me if I'm wrong) that asexuality is a broad category which includes (amongst others) some who find sex repellent as well as some who have sex because they like to gift their partners with something that their partner enjoys

Not wrong, though I've never heard of anyone without a trauma background who found it repellant. Just boring.

Welcome Matryoshka! The only Neil Gaiman I read was Good Omens, the book he co-wrote with Terry Pratchett. I enjoyed it very much but am usually not a fan of either author's genre.

I put down Barchester Towers because so many other books were coming my way, but started reading it again last night. I chuckle at the lack of a fourth wall for readers that was popular at that time. Trollope just spent several pages telling the reader not to worry he would never let such a thing happen to this person but of course his other characters don't know that. He goes on about how other authors will make you worry then get your hopes up and eventually give you a denouement that is just ordinary. He'd never do that. He'll tell you up front not to be concerned.  :lol:

Butter - Both congratulations and hugs are appropriate for your daughter's milestone. ;)

Onceuponatime - I never thought of that comparison but it does kind of fit. I'm going on an old memory of The Bell Jar though.  I haven't read it since high school and since I already said I was over 25 in 1984, we know that was long ago. I did re-read/pre-read Catcher a few years ago when I was planning to assign it to ds. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 8

I've read Good Omens and American Gods, and I much preferred Good Omens.  Both were irreverent, but Good Omens more so, and it was hysterical, it made me laugh so much. American Gods not so much, although I did like it.  But not very funny.

Stacia, for creepy, there is always Ben Winter's Bedbugs.  Shudder.

And I think M-- recommended The Elementals.  At least, I think that's how it ended up on my TR list, it doesn't look like the kind of thing I'd normally gravitate to.

• Like 8

Stacia, I've been preplanning for spooky October too. I do so enjoy it.

My current lineup of possibilities for this year:

World War Z by Max Brooks

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson

Smoke and Mirrors by Neil Gaiman

Ghostwalk by Rebecca Stott

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

I got a little head start and am currently reading a book of slightly creepy short stories by Nathaniel

Hawthorne.

• Like 8

Stacia, I've been preplanning for spooky October too. I do so enjoy it.

My current lineup of possibilities for this year:

World War Z by Max Brooks

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson

Smoke and Mirrors by Neil Gaiman

Ghostwalk by Rebecca Stott

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

I got a little head start and am currently reading a book of slightly creepy short stories by Nathaniel

Hawthorne.

Did you have to mention that next month is October? Where did the year go!!!? 

I like your list. 

I'm currently listening to Good Omens and it is hysterical. I mean what's better than an angel and demon drinking whiskey together? Still savoring Jane Austen short stories as well. I'm reading it slowly. I want it to last. 

• Like 8

I love that I started thinking about spooky reading and you lovely ladies are already discussing it!!

I have The Plover on my nightstand waiting for me but I am reading some short horror stories (Joe Hart's Midnight Paths) on my Kindle instead. All my brain can manage is a short story each night. It's interesting because I'm not usually a short story fan.

• Like 8

Oh, speaking of Shirley Jackson, We Have Always Lived at the Castle is another good one. She's definitely an odd bird as writers go. I liked The Haunting of Hill House too. Apparently Steven King's Rose Red was essentially a homage to it. It's one of those great old gothicky- horror stories where not much actually happens, but it's deliciously creepy.

I think I'll try The elementals for October spook. Nothing else on my list really works.

Nose, I hope you love The Plover! I'm reading Mink River right now, and really enjoying it, although it's not my usual kind of book, in that it really makes you work to follow the plot (though the descriptions are so lyrical and amazing) and the pacing reminds me of one of those breathless Saramago books, as multiple topics are intertwined inside massive run-on sentences.  And it does have more than a touch of MR. Besides the talking crow, I was kind of taken aback when a character calls a bear out of the woods to carry an injured child to safety.  But it's ok, I can take it.  ;)

ETA: And Shannon finished reading The Penelopiad and really enjoyed it, too. It's fun to have a child grown up enough to be able to share books that I like, not just pre-read books for appropriateness for her.  She really loved Good Omens, too.  I can't remember when a book made me laugh so hard, i was a traffic hazard listening to it on the freeway, i think.

Edited by Chrysalis Academy
  • Like 11

I re-read a book (not my plan) that I had brought home from the library.  I was only a couple of pages in when I realized that I had already read this book.  I continued on because I remembered some of the details but not all.  At one point I told my husband that I'd read this book a couple of years ago and was trying to recall if the villain was person one or person two.  Some searching here shows I read the book in December 2015; I guess it was a pretty short couple of years!  (Significant adult content) 

Revealed to Him  by Jen Frederick

"Handsome and tough Jake Tanner, a veteran and the owner of a successful security firm, never lets his past hold him back. Despite his prosthetic hand and foot, women swoon over him—and with him between the sheets. Yet Jake feels bored and restless…until he’s hired to protect a beautiful writer whose life is in terrible danger.

Self-imprisoned by the fear of the anonymous stalkers who threaten her life, video-game writer Natalie Beck now only dreams of the world outside her pink-bedecked apartment. Trusting people again is off-limits. But the more time Jake spends with her, the more his professional commitment evolves from simple duty to scorching desire. While deeply sensual sparks ignite between the two, the danger outside circles closer. Will Jake’s intense devotion be enough to save Natalie? Or will she turn away from the one man willing to do anything to save her?"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

:lol:  Communist alligator: Animal Farm in the swamp! :lol:

All alligators are equal, but some alligators are more equal than others.

Regards,

Kareni

Speaking of alligators, yesterday my husband and I drove from the west coast to the east coast of Florida along a route we had never been. We are both long-time Floridians and our jaunt took us along the path of the recent hurricane. We decided to take the back roads home rather than the highway and at one particularly remote spot my hubby said, "Remember that alligator farm I was working on? It's right down that road.There are pods where they grow thousands of alligators." I had forgotten that he had done some engineering work for an actual alligator farm (think expensive purses and fritters).  I found it quite ironic since he has recurring nightmares about alligators despite the fact that we are both UF grads - Home of the Gators! Anyway I thought I would help keep the gator thread going a little longer.

BTW, We were graduating from college in 1984.

Edited by Shawneinfl
  • Like 9

.... We decided to take the back roads home rather than the highway and at one particularly remote spot my hubby said, "Remember that alligator farm I was working on? It's right down that road.There are pods where they grow thousands of alligators." ...

An alligator farm sounds like fine fodder for nightmares or a horror novel.   One hopes they keep their premises well locked. 

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

I know Robin and some others of you are writers: what are your very favorite writing books/books about writing?  I like Steven King's On Writing, Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird, Francine Prose's Reading Like a Writer.  Others on my radar that I haven't read yet are Ursula LeGuin's Steering the Craft, Annie Dillard's The Writing Life and Ray Bradbury's Zen and the Art of Writing, which got a favorable review from Robin recently. Any other favorite books by writers or about writing that I should be looking at? I'm looking primarily for creative/imaginative writing books, rather than academic writing instruction.

Anything by James Scott Bell. Also love K.M Weiland's Outlining Your Novel as well as Structuring your Novel.  Check out her website which has lots of great information.  The Art of series is really good - just read Art of Subtext by Charles Baxter and Have Art of Time waiting in the wings.  Writing begins with the Breath by Larraine Herring and Julia Cameron's Artists Way are great! 

Welcome Matryoshka!

I just finished the relatively new paranormal book by one of my favourite author's Faith Hunter. She has spun off Nell a character from an earlier Jane Yellowrock book. The setting is the mountains outside of Knoxville. I really enjoyed it. Not sure if Robin has read it already.

Oh my goodness, Mum, I hadn't seen it. Thanks for the heads up! 

Hi All, may I join in, though very late to the party? :)  I've been intimidated by mere thought of signing up to read a book a week, but a while ago I clicked into one of these threads by accident and was taken in by the interesting conversation.  Then I thought I read I didn't have to actually commit to read a book every week?  And then this morning I accidentally clicked in here again.  My older two are off to college, my youngest is pretty much completely outsourced, and I need more brain food.  I'm trying to get back to reading more for myself, and I think this could give me both motivation and inspiration.  

Anyway, that was a long hi - hope to keep reading along here and getting inspired by all you literary ladies! :)

Welcome, welcome. So glad you decided to dive in! 

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 7

I just sat down with a glass of wine, opened my book and laughed out loud when I read, "I had come to think of 1984 as a separate, private world..." 

Much of the book, Tana French's In the Woods, revolves around an incident that happened to a main character in, yes, 1984.  Hadn't even thought about the connection with this week's discussion til I read that line! 

• Like 13

Hello all. 

More on books in the Sunday thread but I wanted to check in quickly to join the welcoming chorus.  Happy you found us Matryoshka!

I am back in alligator country after a second sojourn to Cape Cod.  Funny how Hermine followed us north although it was more of a wind event than rain event in Massachusetts.  (On this southern end, we had ten inches of rain.  I would be happy to share!)

What a great end of summer hurrah with family and friends!  The best part of this trip was spending time with an almost four year old grand nephew. For me, little boy time is precious.

• Like 12

Here's a "different" banned book list http://www.stylist.co.uk/life/50-books-that-were-banned# from a British magazine.http://www.stylist.co.uk/life/50-books-that-were-banned# More of a historical list of books banned around the world and the reasons why. Books mentioned include Black Beauty (South Africa---black and beauty combined) and Alica in Wonderland (China---anamorphic), as you can see the list is a bit different thus interesting.

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 6