Menu

Fermentation Experimentation

Rosie_0801

It happened the first time I used it, so I don't think so.

Hmm. I'm stumped. My friends and I all use both jars on the counter and fermentation crocks with no noticeable differences. I use the crock if I have a higher volume.

What type of crock is it?

Hmm. I'm stumped. My friends and I all use both jars on the counter and fermentation crocks with no noticeable differences. I use the crock if I have a higher volume.

What type of crock is it?

Same here. If it's just a little or I am trying out something new, I ferment in the mason jar, larger quantities in a crock. My crock has an airlock system which I don't have for my mason jars but you can get lids with airlock.

ETA: While mine is not a "mad Millie" it looks very similar. Is your crock coated on the inside? Are you using the weights to make sure the stuff stays below the fluid line?

Edited by Liz CA

https://www.culturesforhealth.com/fermented-vegetable-master-gallon.html

Here is a glass container with weights and airlock lid if anyone else is interested.

ETA: Rosie let us know how the mashed potatoes ferment.

I tend to make the same stuff over and over. It's good but I could add to my repertoire of 4-5 recipes.

Edited by Liz CA

Thought of one more thing in addition to increasing the salt. You could also prime the pump by adding a spoonful of juice from a good culture or a live culture yogurt whey (with lactobacillus) if you haven't tried that yet, just to give the bacteria you want a head start.

• Like 1

Maybe add even more salt to crowd out undesirables? I can't think of anything else after that but to sterilize it. With my crock I can add boiling water and the stones can be baked. Maybe it's new but someone returned it at one point? 

Maybe it is just a matter of underdoing the salt. Huh. I'll have to fiddle around some more. I don't want to use dairy cultures when I don't have a fridge. I've tried them before and ew. :lol:

ETA: Rosie let us know how the mashed potatoes ferment.

I tend to make the same stuff over and over. It's good but I could add to my repertoire of 4-5 recipes.

What are your specialties? 

I was *really* happy with the Chinese cabbage and radish, so try that if you haven't. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...