Menu

What's with the ads?

heartlikealion

Kubo and the Two Strings

We just saw this film. I was shocked at how dark/violent it was for a children's movie. Ds didn't act worked up or anything. I had mixed feelings on the film. It was entertaining and the animation was really cool. It had some humor in it. I did enjoy it, but the ending left me feeling so confused.

We met another mom and son there (I think her child was younger) and she said she had to cover her son's eyes a few times and she predicts nightmares for him.

Anyone else see it?

It was dark, but not so much that it bothered my 8yo. I didn't think of it as a movie for young children. My middle schooler loved it, and several adults I know also enjoyed watching. I think the PG rating for cartoon violence was accurate.

I watch stuff like The Walking Dead and I thought, "wow, this is pretty messed up." Not just because of the violence but because of which characters they cast as villains.

The other mom and I both didn't know too much about the film, just thinking of it as some type of adventure film. I kind of posted this as a "heads up" to other parents that haven't done much research so they can gauge if it's a good or bad pick for their child. The previews I saw didn't tell me much and the other mom and I agreed that we really went in just thinking "adventure."

My husband and son went to see it (ds is 19), and both were deeply moved by it. DS said it's really not a kid's movie, and that it has a lot of thought-provoking themes. 

• Like 2

We went to see it. I wanted to see Pete's Dragon, but the kids wanted Kubo. I didn't know what I was getting into. My 6 and 8 year olds liked it and my 2 year old was too invested in his popcorn to care about the screen. But I (and dh) wished we'd seen Pete's Dragon instead.

• Like 2

Yeah...it looked a little dark from the previews.  We'll probably see Pete's Dragon.  I also think the film about Maui the demi-god looks good (Moana?)

I think dh is taking ds to see Pete's Dragon today lol. They are still using up their movie gift card.

I want to see Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children when that comes out, but not sure how dark that one is and if ds would want to see it. That sounds like something we'd probably get as a digital download if nothing else. I'd watch with dh if not ds lol.

lol about the popcorn. For years that is how ds was... maybe still is. Seems he gets more excited about the concessions than films. And I never used to stop at the concession stand. In fact, I made him go with me to a drive-thru first. I told him mommy isn't eating a pretzel for dinner haha.

Interesting.

We all saw it and liked it, I didn't feel it was particularly dark. My kids are 12, 10, and 7.

Maybe it's just our style. My kids have long loved Spirited Away and we all go see the new Star Wars movies when they come out.

Not saying they're similar, just that our kids have seen a wide variety of movies. I'm sure the boys (older two) wouldn't think anything of it either way, but Pink was fine, too.

• Like 2

We saw this last week and some of us loved it and some were meh. My kids who loved it are 9, 11, 15, and 17 and me! My 21 and 28yo were meh about it - go figure. We had a friend and her 4yo with us - and she was ok with it. I think the popcorn and m&m's kept her distracted. :)

I thought the animation (stop-motion) was beautifully done and it was sooo sooo nice to see a film that had a plot. It seems that I see too many movies that are nothing but superheroes, space villains, spies, car chases, and explosions. It was refreshing to have a story told to me, kwim? I'm probably going to go see it again.

• Like 1

I showed my kids the preview and my 8 year old thought it looked too scary. My 4 year old thought Pete's Dragon looked scary so we skipped it too. My kids are at difficult ages to get everyone to agree on movies and tv shows.

Interesting.

We all saw it and liked it, I didn't feel it was particularly dark. My kids are 12, 10, and 7.

Maybe it's just our style. My kids have long loved Spirited Away and we all go see the new Star Wars movies when they come out.

Not saying they're similar, just that our kids have seen a wide variety of movies. I'm sure the boys (older two) wouldn't think anything of it either way, but Pink was fine, too.

I saw Spirited Away a long time ago. Wasn't my thing. Our family has seen every X-Men movie and had I known how violent one of the last ones was I wouldn't have taken ds to the theater. Again, in that case, I think I was disturbed more than him lol. I don't recall Spirited Away being this eerie, but it was years ago I saw it. Ds has seen some but not all of the SW movies and that's just because we haven't gotten around to digging them out (we have them on DVD but I don't remember if dh bought all the digital copies). I've seen all the SW films, but I don't think of them as having the same level of dark/eerie that Kubo did.

When the aunts are throwing their weapons, it's like what is this, Kill Bill? lol

I want to see Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children when that comes out, but not sure how dark that one is and if ds would want to see it. That sounds like something we'd probably get as a digital download if nothing else. I'd watch with dh if not ds lol.

Have you read the book?  I would not take your son to see that esp. if he was disturbed by Kubo. 

• Like 2

Nah, ds didn't seem disturbed. He likes to watch what some would call worse (i.e. he'll watch Z Nation with dh). I just thought the movie was intensely dark.

especially since I hate films about eye injuries and eyes were constantly a focus (no pun intended) in the movie

Yeah, good point about Miss Peregrine's. I haven't read it so I don't know much yet.

I saw Spirited Away a long time ago. Wasn't my thing. Our family has seen every X-Men movie and had I known how violent one of the last ones was I wouldn't have taken ds to the theater. Again, in that case, I think I was disturbed more than him lol. I don't recall Spirited Away being this eerie, but it was years ago I saw it. Ds has seen some but not all of the SW movies and that's just because we haven't gotten around to digging them out (we have them on DVD but I don't remember if dh bought all the digital copies). I've seen all the SW films, but I don't think of them as having the same level of dark/eerie that Kubo did

Oh I know. Like I said, not trying to say they're similar... I just didn't find Kubo dark at all. I was just using other movies to say we've seen a lot of movies lol.

• Like 1

The trailer for Miss Peregrine gives my daughter (9) and son (6) nightmares.  (The girl with the weird monster/mouth on the back of her head.)  We saw it when we saw "Secret Life of Pets."  That preview was not suitable for all ages at all IMHO. 

• Like 2

DH and I took the kids to see Finding Dory (seriously the first time we had been to the movies in a while....I think the last time we went was Oz the Great and Powerful.)  The Kubo preview came on during Dory and although we weren't concerned about the preview regarding our kids getting scared or anything, once the trailer was over, we looked at each other and went......Uh, no.  It's just really not our style. 

The trailer for Miss Peregrine gives my daughter (9) and son (6) nightmares.  (The girl with the weird monster/mouth on the back of her head.)  We saw it when we saw "Secret Life of Pets."  That preview was not suitable for all ages at all IMHO. 

Good to know! I don't know if ds has seen a preview, and I haven't seen one lately. I just thought of it because I saw a huge cardboard display for it in the theater lobby. I might not even want to see it afterall haha. I will watch the preview again later online. Maybe not right before bed.

Ds once watched an episode of The Walking Dead that I never would have allowed (and I have allowed him to watch several eps). He snuck onto the DVR (we don't even have satellite anymore but after that incident I put a password on it) and I was so horrified because it was an episode I couldn't even stomach... I had left the room!! Conan O'Brien had trouble watching it, too. Ds said he saw the whole ep and he didn't act upset at all. I couldn't believe it. Between the two of us it sounds like I'm the one that's the most bothered by movies lol.

My 18yo dd & I saw Kubo.

I'm not generally a fan of animated films, nor am I generally a fan of kids movies. But, I liked Kubo & thought it was well-done.

I did wonder if the witch characters would give younger ones nightmares. I think they would have given me nightmares as a kid (but I've also always had very vivid dreams). 

• Like 1

I saw it with my 2 older kids a few weeks ago while my youngest was at a social event put on by one of her SN support groups. I hadn't known anything about the movie except that it was supposed to be good. I was surprised by how dark it was and was glad that my little one wasn't with us because she would've been scared. But we all thought it was excellent.

• Like 1

And the word of the day that I'm not sure how you're defining is "dark". Do you mean violent? There was some violence. Serious? Well, it did have a serious moral and plot. Scary? No more so than other movies with that rating, in my experience - and I'm speaking as somebody whose kid was scared of Happy Feet. Sad or poignant? Any movies where the parents die is sad, I think.

This movie is rated PG, which google says is usually acceptable for children 8 and older. That seems like an appropriate age range to me, though obviously different children will vary.

I enjoyed the movie quite a bit. I think the message was a bit sophisticated for younger viewers and will likely pass over many small heads... but then, I don't think that just because a movie is animated or doesn't include profanity that it is, perforce, made for small children.

• Like 3

For me the thing that nagged the most was the way the movie felt disturbing.

it's REALLY disturbing to think your GRANDFATHER and AUNTS are after your eyeball. Am I the only one that sees it this way? /shudder

Most PG-rated kids' movies don't have a major plot point where someone's eye is plucked out and the villain trying to steal the other one.

• Like 1

Pretty much lol. And not all PG rated movies are alike... when I think PG I think more like Smurfs or Alvin and the Chipmunks. This seemed more in line with PG-rated Coraline which although the animation was cool was pretty creepy/dark as well.

• Like 1

I guess I found the witches creepy because of the sing-song way they would croon Kubo's name. To me, that is the stuff of nightmares. Plus the fact that they floated & it's not like physical barriers could stop them (i.e., hiding in a house or something). 

They seemed sinister to me in the way that Grimm's fairy tales are sinister.

• Like 1

Between the two of us it sounds like I'm the one that's the most bothered by movies lol.

Individual kids are so different. My oldest was rarely scared of anything but once when he was about 4 there was an episode of Thomas the Train that really upset him. He would get shaky every time that episodes started. I never could really determine why, it was Thomas the Train, it doesn't get much more gentle.

My much younger brother was watching movies around 5-7 years old that I wouldn't have watched as a young teenager. He doesn't seem to be scared of anything while everything was creepy to me. I think (well know actually) that I was pretty sheltered being the oldest child, he was the 6th kid and my parents had relaxed a lot by the time he came around.

• Like 1

We loved Kubo. I had planned to take my son to Pete's Dragon that day, but he really wanted to see Kubo instead. And I am so glad we did. I can't remember the last kids movie I enjoyed as much as this one. I thought the plot was interesting and the film was beautiful to watch. But I agree it was dark. Darker than I expected. My 8-year-old was fine with it, but he wouldn't have been if he'd been a couple years younger. The problem with PG ratings is that it covers such a wide range of movies. Froze was rated PG, and obviously, Kubo is much darker. And a few months ago, my son and I were watching Harry and the Hendersons, which is PG, and out of nowhere, the boy says the S word. I wasn't expecting that, though my son found it hilarious. PG movies are definitely a mixed bag. And before 1984, there was no PG-13 rating, so it gets even harder when you are looking at older movies.

• Like 4

Most PG-rated kids' movies don't have a major plot point where someone's eye is plucked out and the villain trying to steal the other one.

That never even crossed my mind as being a big deal lol... is that weird?  :lol:  :D Jk.  Idk it was never really particularly graphic in that sense and so I don't think it ever occurred to any of us.  It was just like 'oh, ok, his grandfather took his eye and they want the other.  Moving on.'  :lol: :lol:

I guess I found the witches creepy because of the sing-song way they would croon Kubo's name. To me, that is the stuff of nightmares. Plus the fact that they floated & it's not like physical barriers could stop them (i.e., hiding in a house or something). 

They seemed sinister to me in the way that Grimm's fairy tales are sinister.

I loved the way they sounded.  I don't know why.  

It just occurred to me that we watch a fair amount of anime in this house.  Is that why we don't notice?  This wasn't anime-like in any sense, but maybe something in the way it was styled made it not seem unusual to us?  Idk.  It's interesting, the different reactions people have had. 

• Like 4

I loved the way they sounded.  I don't know why.   

I don't know why this popped into my head, but here's an unrelated story.

When dd was about 5yo, we went to see a puppet show of Vasilisa (sp?), the Russian Cinderella. The place was packed with 4yos & 5yos. It was an extremely dark & scary puppet show (imo) & it was so quiet in there you could have heard a pin drop. (You know that never happens in a large room w/ so many young kids!) It creeped me out & I'm an adult!

Afterward, my dd's comment?

Her (indignantly): "That wasn't the Russian Cinderella!"

Me: What?

Her: They weren't speaking Russian!

:lol:  I guess it just goes to show that kids process stuff differently. Here I was thinking she would think it was scary & instead she was just perturbed they weren't speaking Russian!  :laugh:

• Like 4

I've always thought adults overthink this stuff and kids don't really care. My youngest actually laughed at many things in the entire JAWS franchise of movies at the age of 7. She thought they were hilarious. At 10/11 she was actually a bit freaked out by them. Now at 14, she's back to thinking they're funny. She thinks the original Children of the Corn movie is one of the funniest movies ever made. Watching it with her, I agree. I'm much more bothered by things as an adult and parent than they are. 

Both of my teens are looking forward to seeing Kubo in the theater and youngest is really looking forward to the animation. 

Pretty much lol. And not all PG rated movies are alike... when I think PG I think more like Smurfs or Alvin and the Chipmunks. This seemed more in line with PG-rated Coraline which although the animation was cool was pretty creepy/dark as well.

I have such a hard time judging whether a PG movie will be ok for my younger kids.  Some are just fine and others are really not.

• Like 1

Individual kids are so different. My oldest was rarely scared of anything but once when he was about 4 there was an episode of Thomas the Train that really upset him. He would get shaky every time that episodes started. I never could really determine why, it was Thomas the Train, it doesn't get much more gentle.

My much younger brother was watching movies around 5-7 years old that I wouldn't have watched as a young teenager. He doesn't seem to be scared of anything while everything was creepy to me. I think (well know actually) that I was pretty sheltered being the oldest child, he was the 6th kid and my parents had relaxed a lot by the time he came around.

I was really upset by an episode of The Flintstones as a child - it was a take off on Rip Van Winkle, where Fred came back after falling asleep fr years and everyone was grown up and barely remembered him.

The whole thing seemed completely horrifying to me.

• Like 1

Sounds an awful like the premise of Peter Nimble and His Amazing Eyes, actually. (In reality, totally different, but....)

But really, don't most PG-rated movies have at least something different about them? How boring it would be if they were all the same!

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - most movies don't have a major plot point where somebody is abused by their aunt and uncle and forced to live in a cupboard under the stairs.

Finding Dory - most movies don't have a major plot point where a fish tries to find her parents.

The Princess Bride - most movies don't have a major plot point where somebody's fiance wants to kill them and blame a foreign country.

I don't really get what's so specially awful about this plot point* as compared to the scary aspects of other PG-rated films.

* Though I do think it's weird that you frame it is "they're trying to steal his eye" rather than "they're trying to take his humanity".

We aren't seeing Kubo yet. CommonSenseMedia says that it is appropriate for ages 9+ ("Beautiful epic about storytelling hero can be dark, scary.") and, while my 7yr old begged, he's been plagued with nightmares this summer already.

We will wait until it is on Netflix or borrow the DVD from the library. Maybe he will be ready for it 6 months from now and in the safety of our well-lit living room...

• Like 1

I was so bothered by the voices of the main characters that it ruined the whole movie for me. I thought that Mathew Mcconaughey and Charleze Theron were terribly cast for the voices. I couldn't get past their accents the entire time. The music didn't match the scenery and the plot was weak. 

I absolutely loved the scene in the beginning  when Kubo brings the origami to life to tell his story, and was bracing myself for more of this magic, but it failed to appear. 

Sounds an awful like the premise of Peter Nimble and His Amazing Eyes, actually. (In reality, totally different, but....)

But really, don't most PG-rated movies have at least something different about them? How boring it would be if they were all the same!

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - most movies don't have a major plot point where somebody is abused by their aunt and uncle and forced to live in a cupboard under the stairs.

Finding Dory - most movies don't have a major plot point where a fish tries to find her parents.

The Princess Bride - most movies don't have a major plot point where somebody's fiance wants to kill them and blame a foreign country.

I don't really get what's so specially awful about this plot point* as compared to the scary aspects of other PG-rated films.

* Though I do think it's weird that you frame it is "they're trying to steal his eye" rather than "they're trying to take his humanity".

Animated usually garners attention from younger children. I would be more inclined to take a young child to an animated PG film than a non-animated PG film. And I'll say that one of my favorite movies is The Nightmare Before Christmas and I fully acknowledge it's not the tamest movie for kids. It wasn't even released as a Disney film because it was considered too dark or scary. They released it originally under their Touchstone Pictures label.

To the younger viewers, the humanity thing is probably lost. The eyeball thing is more apparent. And visible/tangible for lack of better words.

I don't expect people to change their minds about what they view as dark. I'm just saying why I see it as such.

• Like 2

I don't expect people to change their minds about what they view as dark.

That still hasn't been defined. I still am completely, uh, in the dark as to what on earth you people think you mean.

• Like 1

Also, regarding animated films: if you think that they're children's films just because they're animated, that's kinda ridiculous and I hope you never watch Grave of the Fireflies.

That still hasn't been defined. I still am completely, uh, in the dark as to what on earth you people think you mean.

Also, regarding animated films: if you think that they're children's films just because they're animated, that's kinda ridiculous and I hope you never watch Grave of the Fireflies.

Are you reading my spoiler tags? I thought those explained areas in which I found the movie dark. If that doesn't explain it to you, I'm sorry. No, I didn't say ANYTHING animated = kid's movie. I just said if I had to choose between two PG-rated films and one was animated, I might lean toward that one (if it seemed marketed toward kids and I hadn't seen anything objectionable in the previews).

It may be that I forgot what the Kubo preview showed, but I don't remember seeing the witches or much else in the preview I saw a while back. I even googled it, but not sure if any of those versions are the one I saw. However, I do remember the previews for The Nightmare Before Christmas and I knew there were some dark scenes (I think a kid pulls a head out of a Christmas present box in one trailer).

FYI I routinely watch animated things that are not marketed toward kids so I'm well aware animation doesn't always equal kid friendly even on the small screen. Bob's Burger's, Daria, Downtown, etc.

I was so bothered by the voices of the main characters that it ruined the whole movie for me. I thought that Mathew Mcconaughey and Charleze Theron were terribly cast for the voices. I couldn't get past their accents the entire time. The music didn't match the scenery and the plot was weak. 

I absolutely loved the scene in the beginning  when Kubo brings the origami to life to tell his story, and was bracing myself for more of this magic, but it failed to appear. 

I'm not a big fan of Matthew McConaughey so I was relieved I didn't place the actor during the film. I felt so-so about the casting on voices. I was expecting much more George Takei since his name seemed emphasized.

Yeah, I was hoping for more like the beginning as well.

I found it creepy. I also found the part in Harry Potter where Mad-Eye Moody's eye gets used on Dolores Umbridge's door at the Ministry of Magic creepy. Stealing people's eyeballs is something I find highly disturbing.

• Like 1

We saw Kubo yesterday with our 11, 13 & 18 yo kids.  They all thoroughly enjoyed it.  We also watch a lot of anime and while this wasn't similar in animation style it was similar in themes, flow and storytelling style (IMHO.)  I particularly enjoyed the resolution for the Grandfather.  

All of that being said, had my children been younger I might have waited to see it on a smaller screen because my youngest was prone to nightmares when he sees movies where something happens to the parents while the parents are trying to save/ defend the child.  

The kids & I found Finding Dory to be much more disturbing.  

Amber in SJ

Interesting. I have not seen Finding Dory. Now I'm not sure if I want to!

The ending with the grandfather didn't feel like a resolution for me at all.

was everyone lying to him to make him think he was a good person? Or did he have a different past suddenly Or what?

There's nothing dark, that I remember, in Finding Dory.

It just wasn't as good as Finding Nemo.

As for Kubo, just the animation alone turns me off.

We went and saw Kubo after seeing the trailer multiple times this summer.  I think all the parent preview sites were spot on with their assessments that this was not a movie for young children.  

That being said, we LOVED Kubo.  Loved it.  It was one of the best movies we saw this summer.  The animation was beautiful, the story was original and it really was like nothing else we've seen recently.  I literally had tears in my eyes when the movie ended, and it wasn't because the ending moved me in that way, it was because this amazing story was over and I didn't want it to be so.   It was serious at times, and it was quite funny at times.  We were all surprised how much we liked it.

For comparison purposes, we also saw Finding Dory and Secret Life of Pets.  Finding Dory was cute and benign, the only REAL family friendly movie this summer.  I was glad we only spent the $5 per ticket on it, but I would have happily taken any of my nieces or nephews to it of all ages.  Pets was disturbing on several levels, and I would not have taken small children to it.  Pets should not be talking about putting their owners in a blender and celebrating their death.   It was also not really clear who the villain was for some of the time, and I dislike that a lot in children's movies. 

We went to a movie almost every week this summer, seeing several different genres and types of movies.  Kubo and Tarzan both earn the top spots for me as great stand-alone movies.  

I depended on sites like Common Sense Media when deciding if movies were appropriate when choosing movies when my kids were younger.  Trailers can be deceptive.  Sometimes the trailers are the only good parts of the whole movie!

I depended on sites like Common Sense Media when deciding if movies were appropriate when choosing movies when my kids were younger.  Trailers can be deceptive.  Sometimes the trailers are the only good parts of the whole movie!

I probably needed to read Common Sense Media for myself LOL. To this day I regret watching The Chumscrubber because it had a scene that really upset me. I only watched it because it was recommended to me. But CSM is not necessarily going to give me a heads up to specific upsetting scenes. I have used it to help me make decisions about books and movies, though. I feel the same as Crimson Wife about eyes. Anyway, luckily I wasn't taking any very young kids.

Edited by heartlikealion

Finding Dory was sweet and while I do agree about it potentially being upsetting to adopted children, I don't think children who are raised by their bio parents are likely to have any problems with it.

Secret Life of Pets I thought was funny. The part about putting the owner in a blender was obviously silly "trash talk" that the pets were doing in an attempt to convince the strays that they were tough.

We saw it with my 11 year old daughter and 13 year old nephew. Loved it!  I wouldn't take a little kid to it.  My husband and I both thought it was similar in tone and artistic quality to The Secret of Kells.

Edited by Homeschool Mom in AZ