Menu

Do you listen to NPR?

Scarlett

Do you listen to NPR?  

233 members have voted

1. 1. Do you listen to NPR at least once a week?

• Yes
    • No

The rate of public radio listenership varies a lot by area.

Over 25 million people listen to one of the affiliated stations each week. There are more listening or reading online.

Morning Edition (#3) and All Things Considered (#5) are both NPR produced and rank in the top five national radio programs for weekly listenership. There are 4 other NPR or APM shows in the top 20 (Marketplace, Wait Wait, Fresh Air and A Prairie Home Companion). So many someones are listening with you Scarlett!

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 1

There aren't very many things that I like better about living in the US than in another country, but being able to listen to NPR in the car is something I love when I'm in the US (public libraries are the other thing).

I have to listen online most of the time. I love Wait Wait, Car Talk, Fresh Air, Diane Rehm, Science Friday, and of course Morning Edition and All Things Considered. It's harder when I'm in the eastern hemisphere though - listening to Morning Edition in the afternoon messes with my brain.

• Like 2

Yes, it's actually the only radio station I listen to.

ETA:  My dd used to live across the street from Garrison Keillor's recording studio.  He is known for being kind of grumpy and complainy in his neighborhood, but I still enjoy most of his Prairie Home Companion shows.  He usually only has a general guideline for his stories and fills in all the details in the moment as he is speaking.  Often, he can pull it off quite well!  Sometimes he doesn't.  :)

Edited by J-rap

I enjoy Fresh Air, Wait Wait, This American Life, Science Friday, and occasionally Travel with Rick Steves. For news I like All Things Considered, Here and Now, and BBC World Newshour. Sometimes I listen to On Point or The Takeaway. I usually only listen to Diane Rehm if I'm in the car and it happens to be on at the time.

I don't care for the TED Radio Hour but then - dare I say it? I don't like TED anyway.  :leaving:

She has a disease called spasmodic dysphonia.

I first started listening to her after she was diagnosed, and when I first heard her voice I thought she was just really old. She sounded to me a bit like the well known White House correspondent Helen Thomas in her later years so I thought she too was up in years. When I went to look up Diane Rehm's age I instead found articles about her voice disorder.

When I started enjoying the Prairie Home Companion, I joked that I must have aged 15 years.

I wish my local station would take Car Talk off. I used to enjoy it but I think it's time to go. One of them is dead and I've been listening to Saturday morning NPR for more than two decades so I literally have Deja vu when I happen to hear it. Put a show with new content on. Please. For the love of all the things.

I agree about Car Talk. It was fun once, but it's old now. They need to just let it go. I'm also not sad about Garrison Keillor ending his run at Prairie Home Companion. I think it's time.

I have an Amazon Echo and I request the Fresh Air podcast (NPR interviews by Terry Gross) almost every day. She's fantastic.

I listen to the news sometimes.  There is not any alternative for consistent, straightforward national news, that I am aware of, on the radio.

We've had our Echo just under a month and are still learning how we want to use her. We don't have a smart home, so none of that is part of our relationship with Alexa. So far we've just listened to music and added things to the calendar, to-do lists, and shopping lists. Do you specifically ask for Fresh Air? Can you ask for other NPR shows? I know I can go look this up (and I will), but I thought I'd ask too.

Ds asked the fun questions - What is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow? What is the meaning of life? Someone at Amazon thought of everything, because Alexa gave the right answer for both questions. :D

BTW, I heard dh say thank you after Alexa told him she added something to the shopping list. I laughed not at him, but because I've stopped myself from saying thank you a few times. ;)

I first started listening to her after she was diagnosed, and when I first heard her voice I thought she was just really old. She sounded to me a bit like the well known White House correspondent Helen Thomas in her later years so I thought she too was up in years. When I went to look up Diane Rehm's age I instead found articles about her voice disorder.

Same here! I was curious about her age when I first started listening to NPR, so I googled her and found the information about her voice disorder. Her voice doesn't really bother me and she is skilled at what she does, but I'm finding myself less interested in the topics she chooses to discuss and I don't care for the call in segments. I hadn't heard about her planned retirement, but wish her the best. 

• Like 1

I love Science Friday. :)

I love most of the programs, actually.  Terry Gross is a favorite.  "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" is my weekend treat.  Radiolab is usually on when I'm in the car most days, too.   I didn't used to like Diane Rehm, but she's grown on me.  I found the story about her vocal condition and such fascinating.  I always assumed it was an age thing. 

Yes, the first time I heard her I was like, "why are they letting this old slow lady have a talk show?" Then th more I listened the more I realized she really has a talent for moderating. She asks the questions I want answered, and if they avoid the question she asks it again. You get used to her voice issues :)

SaveSave

• Like 5

I listen every time I'm in the car, so not quite as much as when I was doing more regular running around taking my daughter places, but still almost daily at minimum. I have been known to sit in the car once I get home until a particularly interesting bit is finished. The exception is on Sat/Sun. The local affiliate plays Prairie Home Companion (which I have come to find annoying), so that knocks out a chunk of Saturday evening and early Sunday afternoon when they repeat it. They play "Echoes" from 8pm to midnight on Sunday, and I cannot listen to that in the car if I want to stay awake. Not my kind of music anyway. I really miss Splendid Table and America's Test Kitchen, which recently got bumped from our local line-up. I'll listen to anything else on there, 

You know, I thought I was just missing it, but I do think they bumped Splendid Table from our round up as well. Never had America's Test Kitchen but I watch that on tv so that's okay. And the only part of Prairie I like is the skits about the overbearing, guilt inducing mom. I hear a bit too much of myself in her, lol. 

And Echoes...I always wondered who on earth listens to that. It's like a lullaby played at 8pm!

Here and Now is a favorite of mine now, and I do listen to the BBC World Hour even though I find the host's a bit annoying. I think just his British more harsh approach vs the US more cuddly feeling way of doing it, lol. 

Science Friday is good too and my oldest enjoys it. 

He also probably has learned so much about the world from being stuck in the car with me listening to NPR. 

Yes, I listen everyday.  Less now than in the past, but it is still my go-to news.   I've been listening for 30yrs.  It definitely made me a weirdo with my conservative Christian friends back in the day.  I was a closet listener then :laugh:  

We went to see "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" at Wolf Trap last month.  It was fun.

I enjoy Fresh Air, Wait Wait, This American Life, Science Friday, and occasionally Travel with Rick Steves. For news I like All Things Considered, Here and Now, and BBC World Newshour. Sometimes I listen to On Point or The Takeaway. I usually only listen to Diane Rehm if I'm in the car and it happens to be on at the time.

I don't care for the TED Radio Hour but then - dare I say it? I don't like TED anyway. :leaving:

I agree about Car Talk. It was fun once, but it's old now. They need to just let it go. I'm also not sad about Garrison Keillor ending his run at Prairie Home Companion. I think it's time.

We've had our Echo just under a month and are still learning how we want to use her. We don't have a smart home, so none of that is part of our relationship with Alexa. So far we've just listened to music and added things to the calendar, to-do lists, and shopping lists. Do you specifically ask for Fresh Air? Can you ask for other NPR shows? I know I can go look this up (and I will), but I thought I'd ask too.

Ds asked the fun questions - What is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow? What is the meaning of life? Someone at Amazon thought of everything, because Alexa gave the right answer for both questions. :D

BTW, I heard dh say thank you after Alexa told him she added something to the shopping list. I laughed not at him, but because I've stopped myself from saying thank you a few times. ;)

Regarding the echo -

you can say:

Alexa play [any NPR show or almost any podcast] on TuneIn. It will play the latest episode of the podcast. While its playing, you can say 'Alexa, next ' and it will play the 2nd most recent, 3rd most, etc.

Alexa play [almost any artist or music genre] on Pandora . It will find a station or make on for you. Sometimes I like Mozart, sometimes I listen to Boogie Woogie [on my brain thanks to that song in Hamilton], sometimes I play Florence + the Machine station....

If you have Prime it will play any song in the Prime Library. 'Alexa play Sunrise Sunset' -- it will play the song from Fiddler.

My personal favorite are the games you can set up for free. We play Jeopardy and Word Master just about every day.

• Like 1

When I started enjoying the Prairie Home Companion, I joked that I must have aged 15 years.

I wish my local station would take Car Talk off. I used to enjoy it but I think it's time to go. One of them is dead and I've been listening to Saturday morning NPR for more than two decades so I literally have Deja vu when I happen to hear it. Put a show with new content on. Please. For the love of all the things.

My favorites are American Roots, This American Life (I felt it had jumped the shark a bit but like it again now ok), Wait Wait, The Splendid Table, Tavis Smiliey and Marketplace. There's another show that comes on after This American Life Here that is intriguing, I need to look it up. There are midday news and weekly wrap up shows here that are local which I like ok. I really do hate any local call in shows and that's often when I feel the need to catch up on following new music, lol. I used to adore Radio Lab but now it's hit and miss for me.

My husband and I used to curl up in bed every single Friday Night with The Plays the Thing but we haven't in so long I don't know if it is still a thing.

The basic news blocks from NPR like All Things Considered are just an easy way for me to keep up with the basic headline type news. Some of the segments they do within those shows are intriguing and some of the correspondents are clearly well informed and do a good job breaking down technical things about complicated court or international news.

Diane Rehm grew on me. I wish her a good retirement. She's an impressive lady. Here she used to be on in the middle of the night so she's kind of linked in my mind with middle of the night nursing sessions, lol.

I really dislike the Vinyl Cafe and will turn it off whenever I hear it. It's his voice. I have an irrational STFU reaction to it.

Diane Rehm is local to me, so I started listening to NPR via listening to her show.  It used to be so much better back then.  In the last 10yrs or so she's acquired more of a worrier, old lady persona to me.   Besides her voice issues (I cannot listen to her anymore because of it), I think she's way past time for retirement.   I miss the old Diane Rehm.

It will be a blow to NPR when she's finally gone, she is a fixture. 

I do occasionally in the car but usually only for a short period of time on weekdays (much longer on weekends of course, Wait, Wait is my favorite), I try to stay away from things that make me angry and that would include the news.  DH listens to it every day on his work drive.

Edited by foxbridgeacademy

Maybe I've gotten younger? ;) I used to enjoy it, but not anymore. I think a turning point was when he did a skit a few years ago about a really creepy guy in a basement. It totally changed the way I viewed the show. That show and Echoes are literally the only times I will always actively turn away to another station, even during pledge drives (and, yes, we are sustaining members of our local station).

I agree it's time to let Car Talk move on.

We used to listen to Fiona Ritchie's Thistle and Shamrock every Saturday night, but they took that off locally a long time ago.

• Like 2

Maybe I've gotten younger? ;) I used to enjoy it, but not anymore. I think a turning point was when he did a skit a few years ago about a really creepy guy in a basement. It totally changed the way I viewed the show. That show and Echoes are literally the only times I will always actively turn away to another station, even during pledge drives (and, yes, we are sustaining members of our local station).

I agree it's time to let Car Talk move on.

We used to listen to Fiona Ritchie's Thistle and Shamrock every Saturday night, but they took that off locally a long time ago.

I miss that show too as well as Stained Glass Bluegrass every Sunday morning.   I know they're available via Podcast, but I'm old-school with my radio stuff. I've just never really taken to Podcasts. 

• Like 1

I like NPR, but I don't listen to any talk radio or podcasts.   I don't know why, but talk programs of any kind get on my nerves.  I think part of it is that unlike reading I can't just skim through the boring bits.  Usually if I'm in the car  I just want to crank up the music and relax.

• Like 1

You know, I thought I was just missing it, but I do think they bumped Splendid Table from our round up as well. Never had America's Test Kitchen but I watch that on tv so that's okay. And the only part of Prairie I like is the skits about the overbearing, guilt inducing mom. I hear a bit too much of myself in her, lol. 

And Echoes...I always wondered who on earth listens to that. It's like a lullaby played at 8pm!

We probably have the same station and now that I think of it, I haven't heard Splendid Table in a long time. 

And yes Echoes - I'll change the station when that's on.

No.  The only time we listen to it is on long road trips when we're unable to find anything else we'd rather listen to.  Our preference on radio at home is Contemporary Christian (music, not talk - no talk shows).  Our preference when traveling is "Oldies."  My youngest got quite the kick out of it when he heard we found a fantastic station on our last road trip.  It's nickname?  "The Dinosaur."   :lol:   When we're on road trips we like to reminisce.  When we're at home we really like Contemporary Christian.  And overall, I like reading my news.

We probably have the same station and now that I think of it, I haven't heard Splendid Table in a long time. 

And yes Echoes - I'll change the station when that's on.

I wonder if Rick Steves replaced Splendid Table on our lineup? I think it was around the time I started hearing Rick that I stopped hearing her, but I don't remember exactly when she was on. I love Rick Steves though, so if that's the trade off i'm okay with it. 

I love NPR, but usually have an audio book on in the car.  I just finished reading Hidden Kitchens that I learned about on NPR and now I am reading If Ignorance is Bliss, Why aren't there more happy people? which I learned about there as well.

It's the opposite with me. I have the NPR app on my phone but when I'm at home I'm usually listening to an audio book on my phone's Audible app. The car is my main listening location for NPR shows. I've been trying to listen to NPR more at home, but I love my audio books.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

I am politically neutral. But I like to be informed. I have listened to NPR for years and I agree it is not talk radio although I do think it leans a certain way politically. Beyond politics the topics are so interesting. I love it.

My dss15 has come to live with us. The other day, as we drove to his guitar lesson 30 minutes each way, we listened to a 2005 interview with Gene Wilder. So interesting. At one point as GW recounted his life he told about a play he was in and the angst of the playwrite over a certain scene. In the telling of that playwriting story, GW used the N word. It was not bleeped by NPR.

Dss15 and I looked at each other. I said wow. Dss15 compared it to Paula Dean getting canned over her use of the word.....Dss's explanation?

No one listens to NPR, so no one will report it.

I laughed and laughed.

As Dh says.....no one that dss15 has ever know listens to NPR. Except for me.

Gene Wilder was quoting the words Richard Pryor used when he said the n word for the record so it is not the same as Paula Dean.

Edited by NoPlaceLikeHome
  • Like 4

The thing about Diane Rehm is that I think her voice disorder would have almost assuredly ended her career had she been on TV news or commercial radio. On NPR, she was able to maintain and grow an audience that is appreciative of just how well she interviews and just how little she lets slip by her regardless of the fact that he voice is different and for many people, difficult to listen to. I like that about NPR affiliates.

She's also perhaps the only person I felt ever really deals well with stupid people who call in. She's a kick-ass person.

• Like 9

The thing about Diane Rehm is that I think her voice disorder would have almost assuredly ended her career had she been on TV news or commercial radio. On NPR, she was able to maintain and grow an audience that is appreciative of just how well she interviews and just how little she lets slip by her regardless of the fact that he voice is different and for many people, difficult to listen to. I like that about NPR affiliates.

She's also perhaps the only person I felt ever really deals well with stupid people who call in. She's a kick-ass person.

The guy who does On Point also handles them well, although in a different manner. They are my two favorite moderators. But I don't hear him a lot as it is on at night and Im seldom in the car then. 

I'm going to miss Diane Rehm horribly though. I have no idea what they will put on in her spot (it's 10am here). And I'll be lost if they don't continue the Friday News Roundup in some fashion or another. Best case, they keep the show and rename it. They've had a lot of guest hosts lately when she's been ill, I'm wondering if those are auditions for a new host?

• Like 1

Yes I know that. I told ds15 that. But he is convinced the difference is because no on listens to NPR.

Well. it may be time he learns about the difference between "no one" and "no one that I know" given that NPR has 2 shows in the top 5 and 6 in the top 20 for national radio programs. :P

If I don't turn on the radio, my 13 year old does and always to NPR. Sometimes I go to turn it off and he's like "mom, I was listening to that!"

• Like 6

Well. it may be time he learns about the difference between "no one" and "no one that I know" given that NPR has 2 shows in the top 5 and 6 in the top 20 for national radio programs. :P

If I don't turn on the radio, my 13 year old does and always to NPR. Sometimes I go to turn it off and he's like "mom, I was listening to that!"

Yes. I was very amused but I didn't want to make him feel stupid.

• Like 1

I wonder if Rick Steves replaced Splendid Table on our lineup? I think it was around the time I started hearing Rick that I stopped hearing her, but I don't remember exactly when she was on. I love Rick Steves though, so if that's the trade off i'm okay with it.

Splendid table and Rick Steve used to be on back to back Sunday afternoons here. Now it looks like the Splendid Table has been bumped and Rick Steves is Sunday Evening. I catch Splendid Table on podcast.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 1

The guy who does On Point also handles them well, although in a different manner. They are my two favorite moderators. But I don't hear him a lot as it is on at night and Im seldom in the car then. 

I'm going to miss Diane Rehm horribly though. I have no idea what they will put on in her spot (it's 10am here). And I'll be lost if they don't continue the Friday News Roundup in some fashion or another. Best case, they keep the show and rename it. They've had a lot of guest hosts lately when she's been ill, I'm wondering if those are auditions for a new host?

Yes, I love the Friday news round up.  One thing I've noticed with Diane Rehm and Terry Gross is that I never ever like their replacement people as much (when they're on vacation or whatever).  Maybe it's intentional? No idea.  But I always have a little sigh when it's not the original host.

My station here does a local news/talk program on NPR at 9 a.m. every day.  I'm not a giant fan (prefer the nationwide stuff), but I have to admit, I'm much much more informed about what's going on in my city.  When one of my kids was at a Montessori school, there used to be a show on when I waited in car line with Michel Martin that I really liked called "Tell Me More". 

I also love love love Story Corps. 

I truly do believe that NPR is a national treasure. 

There's no Echoes on here. We do have a FIVE HOUR block of swing music on Saturday nights. It's a local thing. When I was a teen, my friends and I sometimes would turn it on to dance but now, as soon as it switches on I'm like, HELLO KEXP (local public music and arts) or "hello my own music collection". I could do maybe an hour of it but five hours? No wonder they complain of aging audiences.

There's no Echoes on here. We do have a FIVE HOUR block of swing music on Saturday nights. It's a local thing. When I was a teen, my friends and I sometimes would turn it on to dance but now, as soon as it switches on I'm like, HELLO KEXP (local public music and arts) or "hello my own music collection". I could do maybe an hour of it but five hours? No wonder they complain of aging audiences.

5 hours is excessive. I have no idea how long Echos is as I've never listened longer than 5 seconds. I don't know if you've heard it, but it's sort of like the music they play in the background in a spa while you get a facial or something....total snooze fest. Except usually more electronic. 

• Like 1

Very well said! I agree entirely! 

• Like 1

Yes I know that. I told ds15 that. But he is convinced the difference is because no on listens to NPR.

Must be people you know.  Everyone I know listens to NPR.  Heck, I personally know a couple people who are regularly on MPR (including Prairie Home). 

• Like 2

Has he watched Blazing Saddles? If he hasn't, he should.  It is very funny and very smart.  Rather than being Paula Deen, it is taking aim at Paula Deen.  (Don't know if that's the referenced Pryor  quote, but it's the funniest and least dated Pryor movie with Wilder IMO).

Sorry -  I was confusing - Echo is not on the radio.  It is a device that plays podcasts. [And plays them based on voice commands from across the room, so well suited to the lazy among us).  Relevant here only because  NPR has the most popular podcasts, about 1/2 the top 10 if I remember correctly are public radio shows.

Sorry -  I was confusing - Echo is not on the radio.  It is a device that plays podcasts. [And plays them based on voice commands from across the room, so well suited to the lazy among us).  Relevant here only because  NPR has the most popular podcasts, about 1/2 the top 10 if I remember correctly are public radio shows.

There is an NPR show called "Echoes--the nightly music soundscape" which they play for 4 hours (!) straight on Sunday evening here. Incredibly soporific, and no way I can listen to it in the car. http://echoes.org/  I find it really annoying that it gets that much time because it's the only fully music show they've kept over the years (the only other with music is Prairie Home Companion), and all of the others (Thistle and Shamrock, for instance) were much better, IMO.

I need to look for the podcasts of Splendid Table or America's Test Kitchen. I don't usually listen to podcasts unless I have missed part of a show while out in the car and it catches my interest enough to come in and look it up to hear the rest, so I don't think about them.

I listen pretty much every day. I like almost everything except Diane Rehm. I feel like she's really biased but likes to pretend she's not and that bugs me. If she would just own her bias, I'd be ok with it but I hate the way she tries to pretend like she's portraying both sides of a story but her questions are really slanted to show how she feels. She's local for me and many years ago I worked the pledge drive at the local station (WAMU). I was in medical school and they offered free dinner if you worked that shift so a bunch of us did it several nights. :) It was interesting that her show was definitely one of the most polarizing. We were under instructions to take the call and then write down whatever the person said and I had a lot of "Take Diane Rehm off the radio, I hate her!" and then the next caller would say "I love Diane Rehm, she's the only reason I listen to public radio, never let her go." 

• Like 2