Menu

Outsourcing is the BEST!

We started since K :lol: Hubby and I are that pathetic. We had to outsource walking to gym class, mine didn't walk until past 16 months old.

We started outsourced standardized testing early too since kids underperform if we test them but miraculously score very well in a B&M classroom.

• Like 2

DD#1 works harder for her outsourced classes than for me, so I've outsourced just about everything this year. However, they haven't been a perfect fit every time we've tried. We had trouble with learning retention (Latin class - where she got an A+ but didn't actually learn the material) & with goals, teaching style, and feedback being a complete non-fit (writing class). Also, we've learned that dd#1 does better with live classes. I'm hoping for better luck this year. 

DD#2 is taking her first online class ever. The drama she's giving me before it even starts is already starting to drive me crazy. I'm just hoping she settles in quickly and stops all the belly-aching. I thought she would enjoy the class as it is in one of her strength areas and I wanted her to experience an online class before starting high school. Time will tell how much outsourcing I'll be able to do with that one.  :svengo:

• Like 4

I made some mistakes outsourcing in middle school to people who didn't know what they were doing, but we pretty much got it in high school. I learned what questions to ask. Go with a true professional who knows and loves the subject with years of teaching experience.

I also had the benefit of not having to pay for some of what we've outsourced because of my employment and other arrangements.

Outsourcing Latin was a must even though I used to teach Latin 2 locally. Mine have multiple gold medals on the National Latin Exam because of that, and my older one got credit for two years of college foreign language, so we came out ahead financially. He used that for his general humanities credits so he could take some electives in his major.

My younger one really struggled with Algebra II. She needed a teacher who could explain things in different ways than her STEM professor mom. So after getting a "D" in Algebra II, she got an "A" in Geometry last year. This year she's repeating Algebra II with another outside teacher. 

She's also completed a year of studio art online and is doing a second year starting next week.

I work full-time during the school year, so it's taken some of the load off me. 

It's enabled us to successfully keep them home-focused with high academic standards.

• Like 4

I realized when my oldest was in 10th that I really needed to be outsourcing more.  We had always done a little but I realized at that point that the math had been lacking and I had to get out of that game earlier and that I was at a loss with writing.  Even as a strong writer myself I had no idea how to teach, grade, etc. high school writing.  

Our middle school and early high school has become a mix of online classes and co-op classes with a move to dual enrollment at the 4 year university as the goal for the second part of high school.  Things I have not outsourced have been subjects that were not of the most importance to us and the ones I just needed to check the box and be done.  I have found that once my kids hit that age I really wanted to be their mom and support system and not primary teacher.  It has worked very well so far.  

It has been a nice balance for us.  We still get to make alot of our own choices regarding curriculum, schedule, course provider, sequence, etc. but the day to day management is someone elses and the there is an outside entity to perform for.  

I have 4 kids. Oldest is off to college this year.  My 11th grader is mostly doing de and my 8th grader is entirely online courses/co-op.  I am teaching only my 3rd grader this year.  It is blissful!  I know outsourcing isn't right for everyone and I really admire those moms that manage to teach every subject through high school. I am not one of those moms but I still have been able to keep my kids home and give them a solid education.  

Expense is an issue with some courses.  Co-op and dual enrollment are very cheap for us here.  Online classes are more expensive and we have to budget monthly for them.  But, my college kid was able to transfer 31 credit hours to his university.  The colleges my kids will likely attend are ones that ACT points= scholarship money.  My oldest is paying very little for college so the money invested in his high school has more than paid off.  

• Like 4

Any recommendations on composition/literature classes for high school?  I'm feeling a little desperate.  We are outsourcing for Spanish (DE) which has been wonderful, but my daughter is only in 9th grade and I don't want to put her in DE for college composition and literature yet.  

I've been outsourcing the 16 year old since he was in 6th grade.  I started with one class in 6th grade and have gone up from there.  He is now completely outsourced.  4 classes online and 1 college math class at the Community College.  In the eyes of the state homeschool organization, he is no longer a homeschooler, but I could care less.  He does better and I get to choose teachers that are good at what they do.  My 6th grader is starting his one online class.  He's a different kind of kid, so we'll see. The way I see it, it's an affordable private school education.  I have only admiration for moms who can homeschool high schoolers without outside classes successfully.

• Like 5

Any recommendations on composition/literature classes for high school?  I'm feeling a little desperate.  We are outsourcing for Spanish (DE) which has been wonderful, but my daughter is only in 9th grade and I don't want to put her in DE for college composition and literature yet.  

For us, Bravewriter has been a great fit.

The way I see it, it's an affordable private school education.  I have only admiration for moms who can homeschool high schoolers without outside classes successfully.

Same here. Our outsourcing this year and last cost us just under $1000 with books. I know that not everyone can afford that, but that is workable for us and gets us so much more than I could give on my own.

Private schools in my area cost $8,000-30,000/year for high school.

EricaH:  Check out HomeschoolCOnnections for high school literature and writing classes (and others)

https://reg129.imperisoft.com/HomeschoolConnectionsOnline/Search/Registration.aspx

My ds will be enrolled in a middle school literature class (Christmas in Film and Literature and a Mastery of Mysteries) this fall and spring with Kevin O'Brien, and I have heard great things about his classes in particular.  I intend on continuing in high school with them.