Menu

Why can't I find the good in Kahn Academy?

I was originally hoping it would be a program that saw what the kids knew and then taught them things past that.  Like a learning track.  But I see that it's not.

So I "recommended" some things for each of my kids to do and what?  They just pick one and go over it?  And watch a video if they don't get it?

Maybe it's just my kids but they're getting frustrated with it.  Maybe because it's taught slightly different than our curriculum?  I'm not sure.  But I was hoping it would be a good supplement and help them to really dig into concepts a little deeper.

• Like 2

well I went to look up a geometry topic the other day.  It wanted me to sign up. No where could I log in with the account I have.  Only sign up for a new one.  We even looked at the site map, nope, no way to just log in.  It was infuriating.  When I finally got the geometry topics up the one we needed wasn't listed.  After watching similar things in hopes to find it, I gave up.   It's not the first time I've walked away frustrated with them.  It used to be very different than it is now.  

So I "recommended" some things for each of my kids to do and what?  They just pick one and go over it?  And watch a video if they don't get it?

I don't know how to go about this with maximum efficiency, but this is essentially what my kids' algebra teacher does on occasion - assign a section for review and then have them watch videos if they forgot (obviously, in that case, Khan isn't the main provider of instruction).

But I was hoping it would be a good supplement and help them to really dig into concepts a little deeper.

Khan Academy does not have a reputation for depth; it tends to focus more on procedures.  For a 4th/5th supplement for depth, you might look at one of the Singapore extra books, such as Challenging Word Problems or Intensive Practice (at grade level or possible a grade level below for review, as some do).  Or something like Beast, the Cleo Borac books, or Zaccaro's Primary Grade Challenge Math.

• Like 3

Because there isn't any good in it?

Kahn can be a useful aid, but I've seen too many mathematical errors in the videos that I never used it as a tool for students in my high school classes. (Caveat - I haven't looked at it in years. If it's changed significantly - or if the errors were corrected - my comments are no longer valid.)

well I went to look up a geometry topic the other day. It wanted me to sign up. No where could I log in with the account I have. Only sign up for a new one. We even looked at the site map, nope, no way to just log in. It was infuriating. When I finally got the geometry topics up the one we needed wasn't listed. After watching similar things in hopes to find it, I gave up. It's not the first time I've walked away frustrated with them. It used to be very different than it is now.

I used to like it and now I don't for the same reason. Seriously, why can't I simply watch a video on a topic of choice without all that rigmarole?

• Like 1

well I went to look up a geometry topic the other day.  It wanted me to sign up. No where could I log in with the account I have.  Only sign up for a new one.  We even looked at the site map, nope, no way to just log in.  It was infuriating.

FWIW, I had a similar experience recently.  My ds couldn't find his account so he made a new one but then it required me to sign up.  But, I already had an account.  It did not recognize my email or anything.  I ended up making a new account for me so that I could give permission for ds.  It was really weird, and yes, infuriating.  The user interface has gone from bad to worse.

Khan doesn't go deeper. More of a free practice program.

But, I already had an account. It did not recognize my email or anything. I ended up making a new account for me so that I could give permission for ds. It was really weird, and yes, infuriating. The user interface has gone from bad to worse.

That is weird. My Khan account is using my gmail as the login ID but I am not logging in through Google. My kids used the SAT practice tests recently for fun as a before school start review but comically all of my oldest's 6 practice tests scores were higher than his actual June score.

My kids tried the chem videos and said they learned nothing. I ended up getting Thinkwell because they like a scope and sequence curriculum.

I don't like Kahn either.  The AoPS website has a very nice, easy to use math review.  A student progresses along at their speed based on activities the student completes.  Don't know if Beast Academy has the same type of set up.

I don't know how to go about this with maximum efficiency, but this is essentially what my kids' algebra teacher does on occasion - assign a section for review and then have them watch videos if they forgot (obviously, in that case, Khan isn't the main provider of instruction).

Khan Academy does not have a reputation for depth; it tends to focus more on procedures.  For a 4th/5th supplement for depth, you might look at one of the Singapore extra books, such as Challenging Word Problems or Intensive Practice (at grade level or possible a grade level below for review, as some do).  Or something like Beast, the Cleo Borac books, or Zaccaro's Primary Grade Challenge Math.

Edited by reefgazer