Menu

Teaching Literary Terms...

I really never saw the importance of teaching this until my ds came home from his college literature class saying he didn't understand what the teacher was asking of him from what he read. Low and behold, the teacher was referring to literary terms, finding symbolism, conflict, etc.

So, in order not to make the same mistake twice with second ds who is 9th grade, what is the best approach in teaching this. I myself, am not able to pull these things out of a story without the help of being able to compare it to the answer. So, I would need something with a teacher's key.

I would appreciate any suggestions and opinions you have:confused:

Connie

This is just a workbook which defines the terms and gives concrete examples of them from classic literature. It would certainly NOT be sufficient on its own, but I think it is a great tool to work through prior to doing a more in-depth literary analysis course. Because the terms are isolated there isn't the need of digging out several of them within a larger literary work. From there I would move on to something else, but we aren't there yet ourselves! I will probably use Lightning Lit 7 next year for my ds.

HTH.

Cynthia

I am using Tapestry to teach my 10th grader this year - we are using Yr.2 of their program. (they divide up their history/lit study in 4 periods, like WTM)

It is excellent in this area! I highly recommend their program. They really give a good, thorough foundation to the rhetoric level students and teach them to analyze literature all throughout.

Since it is a program that, to buy it, you are buying your history, literature, and other possible subjects together, you may want to consider it strongly for next year. But I cannot say enough about this program and all that it has taught my daughter this year.

HTH!

Jo

A step up from Figuratively Speaking is Walch Toolbook Series- Prose and Poetry: A Comprehensive Guide to Understanding Literature.

My 10th grade ds is using it along with SL200. The SL IG does briefly describe a lot of the Prose information, but I think that it has helped my ds to interact with these terms a bit more.

HTH-

Mandy