Menu

Fake iPhone!!!!!!

Janeway

I had my iPhone replaced through AT&T. I had phone insurance. It was subcontracted through Asurian which is what all the mobile providers use. I received a replacement in June. I actually got the blue screen of death this morning-on my iPhone! So, after calling Apple and not being able to fix it, I took it in to the store, the genius bar. Apple told me it was a knock off phone!!! Not kidding! And they showed me the differences.

I am livid. I called AT&T on the way and told them what happened. It took 3 calls to resolve anything at all. And even then, I think they should 100% refund me and they did not. I figure I would have to go higher up the ladder to get a refund for 100%.

I Googled Asurian and found thousands of complaints and even mainstream magazines doing articles about it. So, heads up. If you have cell phone insurance through your mobile company, you may wish to read the fine print. Turns out, it says they can use 3rd party materials. But seriously, I do not think that should mean this. I am unsure if what they are doing is even legit. But, they say it is in their contract. 

Edited by Janeway
  • Like 1

OP: Third party materials is one thing. Counterfeit iPhones is another thing. If the phone you received is Counterfeit, that is not the same as them replacing a defective battery with a non OEM battery (one not made for Apple and branded for them). I believe it is extremely common, for a warranty to give them the right to use Used or Remanufactured parts, or to replace the item with one that is Used or Remanufactured, but to provide the purchaser with a Counterfeit item, to replace a genuine item, does not seem correct to me.

Several years ago, there was an "Extra" on Fox News Channel, about Counterfeit goods arriving in the Port of Long Beach. I watched that "Extra" many times, when viewers in the USA were getting commercials.  Every day, many thousands of containers arrive there. Some are flagged for inspection, because U.S. Customs has a reason to suspect them. Others are inspected, at random. There are *huge* numbers of Counterfeit goods arriving in the USA, every day.

You might contact the Federal Trade Commission.  Also, U.S. Customs, if they imported Counterfeit iPhones...

• Like 4

Curious, what is it that the Apple person showed you that gave your phone away as a fake?

It was a 5s. The edges..on the side....so..going from back to side to front..that direction, were rounded. On the real one, they are sharper. On the real one, it is an etched nickel on the sides and back, but then shiny silver on the edges. On the real one, the parts are...hard to describe this..but...the parts are flat and squared? The fake was rounded and not so flat. It puffed out and was not lined up..the parts. I wish I had taken a picture of it. But finally..the battery was not an apple battery and it had expanded. The coloring was slightly different.

Edited by Janeway
  • Like 3

My wife is in the Kitchen now and I went in and told her about what they did to the OP and what my reply was. My wife's immediate reaction was that the OP is the victim of FRAUD.  Here in Colombia, this would be a Criminal matter.  The OP bought an iPhone which was later replaced with a COUNTERFEIT phone. The OP thought she had an iPhone, when she went into the Apple store.  The OP did not purchase a Counterfeit phone. The OP purchased an iPhone. There's a big difference.

We would raise hell if we were victims of this kind of fraud.

The OP is the innocent victim of fraud.