Menu

Air Force Mamas

BlsdMama

We've got a "son" here (DD's fiancee) looking at the Air Force.  What do I need to know?  His folks aren't coping with him adulting very well and kicked him out of his house for going in-state flagship rather than his dad's plan (private school then OOS transfer.)  He's done very well this past year - juggling working a lot of hours and doing school but he is strongly considering AF.

We want to make sure that if he does this, he goes into it eyes open and with someone on his side.  DH went Army and a lot of what he was promised before MEPS didn't come to fruition once it was time to sign on the line.  We're still military "fans" but we're looking out for him, not them.

Now, we've been told that because he was diagnosed ADHD in school that it could create a potential problem.  He has *not* been on meds for over two years and has a very successful college transcript without meds.  Kid tests sky high on the ACT but he did have extra time.  I expect his ASVAB will be potentially *very* strong.

• Like 1

He needs to have a guaranteed job going in. This may mean he will have to wait longer for his enlistment date until his job opens up. If you go in Open General they will stick you where they need you and they can well and truly suck.

Anything not in writing is not going to happen. Duty stations, length of time at a training base, deployments, housing, etc are NOT under the recruiters control. If he says otherwise he's lying. This is not the same as making things sound rosy, but he cannot promise what will happen once the kid is in.

His recruiter may try to get him to enlist for six years instead of the standard four. They might offer a bonus to do this (the in-writing, legit kind of bonus). It is far, far better, IMO, to sign up for four years and then reenlist if he wants to (often for more $$$ than the original bonus) than to enlist for six years out of the gate.

Edited by JodiSue
  • Like 6

Dd's boyfriend just finished BMT and is in tech school. PM me if you want details.

You can ask your questions at Active Duty Talk on facebook. There's also a good recruiters site there.

I think the Air Force is a great option, esp if he is medically inclined or tech-y. Our experience has been terrific.

There's a ton of online support for those whose family members/loved ones are in BMT or Tech School (or even after).

AfWingmom's on facebook have been super helpful.

You can also check out youtube videos to give you an idea of things. Kyle Gott has made a bunch, and so have other people.

YOu have to look at recent videos, though, because much has changed this year. BMT, for example, is 8.5 weeks long, but they graduate at the end of the 7th week (the half week is Week of Training 0), and then have a week extra. This is fairly new.

I wonder if you have a Veterans for Peace chapter in your area? Part of the work they do involves shedding light on what they view as unethical recruiting tactics. I'm sure one of their members would be happy to talk to your future SIL, if he'd like an alternate perspective. They recommend the short video

, for a start (note that this looks to be geared to high schoolers, but there are some worthwhile perspectives shared).

I personally think anyone considering joining the military should watch The Ground Truth documentary. It consists almost entirely of interviews with veterans. I found it to be very enlightening.

I don't know your family member's spiritual beliefs. If he's a Christian, he needs to seriously consider if he can reconcile Jesus' instruction to "love your enemies" with the military's expectations for him. Being asked to kill people or be otherwise involved with their deaths is an incredibly serious thing, with profound and lasting mental, emotional, and spiritual consequences.

ETA: If the U.S. government only asked soldiers to participate in noble causes, I might be able to better understand supporting someone's participation. Please ask yourself if you trust the government to ensure that your future son-in-law will be involved only in just and righteous military actions. 

Edited by MercyA

I wonder if you have a Veterans for Peace chapter in your area? Part of the work they do involves shedding light on what they view as unethical recruiting tactics. I'm sure one of their members would be happy to talk to your future SIL, if he'd like an alternate perspective. They recommend the short video

, for a start (note that this looks to be geared to high schoolers, but there are some worthwhile perspectives shared).

I personally think anyone considering joining the military should watch The Ground Truth documentary. It consists almost entirely of interviews with veterans. I found it to be very enlightening.

I don't know your family member's spiritual beliefs. If he's a Christian, he needs to seriously consider if he can reconcile Jesus' instruction to "love your enemies" with the military's expectations for him. Being asked to kill people or be otherwise involved with their deaths is an incredibly serious thing, with profound and lasting mental, emotional, and spiritual consequences.

ETA: If the U.S. government only asked soldiers to participate in noble causes, I might be able to better understand supporting someone's participation. Please ask yourself if you trust the government to ensure that your future son-in-law is involved only in just and righteous military action. 

I might not have been very clear...  I was wondering AF's mama's experiences with their sons in current day situations.  DH actually *is* a vet, as are many of our friends.  We've since heard the Army sign-up experience is very different than AF.  

I might not have been very clear...  I was wondering AF's mama's experiences with their sons in current day situations.  DH actually *is* a vet, as are many of our friends.  We've since heard the Army sign-up experience is very different than AF.  

Yes, I know you especially wanted to hear from mothers with children in the Air Force, but I (perhaps wrongly?) assumed other perspectives were welcome as well.

I so often appreciate your posts here and the wisdom you have to share. I felt that I should share some alternative sources of information in this thread, given the gravity of the choice before your family member. If that information is unneeded by you, perhaps it will benefit someone else.

Best to you and your family.

• Like 1

I'm an AF vet, and was an officer.  JodiSue's advice is very good.

Since he already has some college done, it might be wise of him to consider going in as an officer.  He should look for an ROTC detachment at his school or in the metro area near him, because they frequently have cross-town arrangements.  ROTC can count as an elective or PE and he'll finish college with a fantastic job.  He might be able to qualify for scholarships for the rest of his time in college, too. 

Agreeing with JodiSue as well. My oldest is in the Navy- daughter is deciding between AirForce or Navy and enlisting or trying to get her nursing school finished first. Just make sure it is all in writing, the recruiters can't guarantee where you will be stationed, your job or anything else. I don't think the scamming practices that used to be so prevalent with recruiters are done much anymore because honestly the military has more people "applying" than they can accept. They are picking and choosing. If he was homeschooled there are a few more hoops to jump through- even if he's had some college- depending on how much he has had.

We have a former ROTC commander in our family. He said the ADHD is a problem for enlistment and commissioning unless your future SIL has a provable skill set that sets him apart from others, is something the AF needs, and won't be a detriment to others in combat. He had a student who was ADHD and tried unsuccessfully to get the student a waiver. If the recruiters tell him it won't be a problem, I agree with ensuring it's in writing. 
Good luck to him!

• Like 1

The ADHD may be a problem, it depends on quotas and if they're getting desperate for people.  If he does well on the ASVAB and qualifies for high level security clearance, they may give him a medical waiver, it can be iffy.  He should not go in without a guaranteed job unless he wants to be a cop, if he goes in open general, he is sure to be a cop.  The pros of being a cop are that he can be stationed at any base, the cons are that he will be deployed A LOT.  I know some cops who love their jobs, but most just got stuck with it.  About.com is extremely helpful for looking up jobs, called AFSC, in the Air Force, it gives a description as well as the ASVAB scores needed to qualify.  If he's linguistically inclined, linguist is a good job according to all the ones I know.  My job as a weather forecaster was pretty darned fun if you like fast paced, sciency stuff.  I loved it, most days.  Good luck to him.

• Like 1

Yes, I know you especially wanted to hear from mothers with children in the Air Force, but I (perhaps wrongly?) assumed other perspectives were welcome as well.

I so often appreciate your posts here and the wisdom you have to share. I felt that I should share some alternative sources of information in this thread, given the gravity of the choice before your family member. If that information is unneeded by you, perhaps it will benefit someone else.

Best to you and your family.

I'm reading this post today and tried to send you a message but I think your box is full?

I wanted to send an apology if I came off really sassy in my reply.  It wasn't my intention.  This whole thing is a bit of a hard subject.  We were an Army family and things went very well for us.  Our two best friends were both Army, both requested medical retirement.  One got it, one didn't.  Both have really had a hard transition back out of the military.  We are supportive of my future sil's choice in the Air Force but nervous, obviously.  At the same time, that has to be his decision and we just need to know how to best support him in this decision if that makes sense?  I very much like to be a, "Go here, do this," person, but I'm working really hard to pull back from it and be a support force in our daughter's and his life rather than the directr, kwim?  It's a very new role for me and one  that doesn't come easily or naturally.  I'm sorry if I was snappy.

Not a mama, but my 2 cents. The ADHD might be disqualifying and IMO that is something he should discuss, thoroughly, with the recruiter.  The Air Force is probably in a position to be more selective than the Army, about who they accept. I went into the Air National Guard and knew exactly which Tech School I would be going to.  When I had looked into Enlisting in the Army, and I read their "guarantee", it seemed full of ways for them to get out of what they had guaranteed. For example, if the school wasn't available, they could send you somewhere else.  What I didn't know when I was very young, was that some of the people who are in the Reserves (Air National Guard or Air Force Reserve units) work full time in their positions. I think they make Civilian salaries, but am not positive about that. IMO, going into the Reserves gives one the opportunity to attend the same (excellent) Tech Schools, but with more flexibility. If he can become an Officer,m that's much better...

ETA: I suggest that he also explore the idea of joining an Air National Guard unit or an Air Force Reserve unit.

Edited by Lanny

I wanted to send an apology 

You are so sweet to apologize, but it's all good! I actually thought you were pretty restrained in your response.  :)

I'm sorry for any offense I caused. It is a bit of a hot-button issue for me, obviously. Sometimes it's hard to know when to say something and when to stay out of it. 

I understand you wanting to help your future SIL while still giving him and your daughter space to make their own decisions as a family. I have many years before I have to deal with that and I know it won't be easy!  ;)

ETA: And thanks for letting me know about my message box. I'll make more space! 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1