Menu

Do you put senior year on the transcript before credits are earned?

I'm a little confused. I'm putting together dd's official transcript to mail for her college applications. I was thinking that I would put the courses she's taking this year, with the credit, but no grade. However, I came across my old high school transcript that must have been sent with my applications (yes, it's intact and hasn't crumbled into dust, haha), and the senior year is completely blank. Now I'm not sure what to do. It seems odd to leave it blank, but I'm also not sure what the colleges are expecting to see. 

Help?

Yes, they want to see what courses your student is taking, and that is why you issue a final transcript after graduation that shows the credits earned and final grades. Our local PS's issue transcripts to seniors after they have been in school for a couple of weeks so if the teachers have posted any grades at all, they will put the current grade on the transcript as well. Colleges know these are courses in progress.

So just list a section of senior year and put "projected credits" or "in progress" and then list the courses your student will be taking or is now taking.

• Like 2

When my girls were applying to colleges, I listed their senior year courses and put IP as the grade, then noted elsewhere on the transcript that IP meant "in progress."

That's sufficient for applications. Once they graduate, they'll need to send a copy of their final official transcript to the university, usually with a deadline in June or July.

I would not leave the senior year blank.

• Like 2

I use an online application generate transcripts for my dd's.  It allows me to "assign a class" to a student, and then later I can check to indicate it's been completed and assign a grade.  So last week I entered my dd's sophomore courses, but at the semester and at the end of the year I'll be assigning grades as she earns them.