Menu

Grammar Question

My daughter (13) and a friend are having a debate involving sentence construction. My daughter wrote this sentence: Years of Writing with Skill have made it easy.

Her friend says that she should use "has" and not "have."

I told my daughter she is correct - the simple subject and verb agree in her sentence; also, the object of a preposition is not what is used for verb agreement. I will note, not that it matters, that I don't know if her friend knows that "Writing with Skill" is the title of a book.

Please help by weighing in! Thanks in advance!

I'd ask the girls to think of another sentence with "years" as the subject.

Years were passing...

The years have really changed you...

(To prove your daughter right, of course.)

I often get this wrong when speaking, but when writing we have time to think it through!

• Like 1

My daughter (13) and a friend are having a debate involving sentence construction. My daughter wrote this sentence: Years of Writing with Skill have made it easy.

Her friend says that she should use "has" and not "have."

I told my daughter she is correct - the simple subject and verb agree in her sentence; also, the object of a preposition is not what is used for verb agreement. I will note, not that it matters, that I don't know if her friend knows that "Writing with Skill" is the title of a book.

Please help by weighing in! Thanks in advance!

This is where the Easy Grammar method comes in handy: cross out the prepositional phrase "of Writing With Skills" and you have the subject and verb: Years have made it easy. :D

• Like 1