Menu

Book a Week 2016 - BW35: summer sun

Robin M

I've been reading Ursula Le Guin's Steering the Craft-- about writing, and has lots of writing exercises.I really liked this book & it ranks up there as one of the most helpful I've read, about writing.

One of the examples she used was Virginia Woolf, so I got Mrs Dalloway and read it... I was a bit disappointed. Le Guin uses her as an example in her discussion of shifting point of view and omniscience, but I found it more interesting technically rather than an enjoyable novel... Woolf gets so caught up in the beauty of language, like Nabokov or Joyce or Gertrude Stein, that she loses the reader. She lost me! I kept feeling that inside this book is a quite nice book, introspective/sentimental/existential yet cheerful in its way- more along the lines of Barbara Pym or even Agatha Christie- struggling to get out!

Also just read Longbourn- it's the story of Pride & Prejudice from the point of view of the Bennett household's servants... But again, the story about the servants was too thin to support a whole novel, even with the known-to-the-reader framework of Austen's novel hopefully supporting it. Plus, there was too much about the Bennett girls' dirty laundry. Blech!

Thanks for letting me share!

• Like 10

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On book organization--

I think I know where any particular book in the house is, but there is no quick, easy summary to the whole thing. We have bookcases of some sort in most rooms, so lots of little collections here and there. Here are three of them (if I can get the photos uploaded).

"Paradise"--named by my reader when we set it up 8 or 9 years ago. A smallish bookshelf filled with kid-lit.

Living room built-in. Photo albums below, a few art books of mom's, classics, more recent lit, a few large leftover books on top. The gaps are where I've removed some short story collections as I try to finish planning this school year.

Study built-in. Dh's books on left (business, technology, photography), kid books in middle (picture books, homeschool books), other stuff up high, history/religion/oversized books on right.

We're in our last year of home schooling and I'm hoping to purge some of this stuff next spring/summer.

Edited by Ali in OR
  • Like 13

My two online worlds intersected this morning, my quilt blogs which are a new obsession and BaW's bookshelves topic. Since there are other quilter's here I need to share this ideahttps://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/stash-bee-3523682/hive-3-september-tutorial-bookshelves-5108890683. It's on my to do list, maybe a lap quilt. I am thinking shelves not blocks. :lol: All these ideas swirling around as I sit and hand sew my binding on, really boring activity!

• Like 11

Fantasy Novel Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson is the Tor.com Free eBook Club Pick for September!

This is the first volume in the Malazan Book of the Fallen epic fantasy series about which I've heard good things. Has anyone here read it?

Regards,

Kareni

I have read almost all of the Malazan Book of the Fallen series and I love them! Kareni, do try this book! But I have to warn you, it is an epic fantasy series, but nothing like Wheel of Time for example. It's a lot darker and way more difficult. At the end of the first book, you will probably still have no clue what it is about. Second book, idem. Erikson doesn't explain anything, no infodumps, no helpful older wizard who explains :D.

Hello to all my BaW friends :friendly wave:

I hope everyone is doing well.

I'm trying to come back to this thread, but I don't know if I will have enough time.

Love,

Tress

• Like 12

My two online worlds intersected this morning, my quilt blogs which are a new obsession and BaW's bookshelves topic. Since there are other quilter's here I need to share this ideahttps://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/stash-bee-3523682/hive-3-september-tutorial-bookshelves-5108890683. It's on my to do list, maybe a lap quilt. I am thinking shelves not blocks. :lol: All these ideas swirling around as I sit and hand sew my binding on, really boring activity!

I don't quilt, but I have a bookcase quilt pinned on Pinterest. It is one of my fantasies that one day I will actually take the time to make one.

• Like 8

Hey, Tress!  :seeya:

Just popping in to chat because I'm still sitting up from last night. I'm pet-sitting for my sister & Tropical Storm Hermine is rolling through right now. Did I mention that her two (large) dogs are scared of rain, thunder, & lightning? Guess what we've been getting for hours? One of the dogs has tried to burrow under me for the whole time, regardless of whether I'm sitting, standing, or laying down. I think I have bruises all over. (He's about 65 lbs.) I also have a lovely hair style at this point, held in place by dog drool & wet dog nose. Thankfully, the larger dog (who is closer to 90 lbs.) doesn't burrow; he just leans on me. Weather radar looks like it will still be continuing for hours more. The cats aren't scared of the weather but think it's a party since we've all been up all night.

I'm eating dark chocolate & having a Diet Coke. Not sure if that will amp up or tamp down the massive headache I have right now.

Too tired to do anything but internet surf at this point. :zombie:  Whoo-hoo. Fun times.  :blink:

• Like 12

Hi Tress, It's good to see you back, you have been missed. Hope the migraines are better.

Stacia :grouphug: Stay safe and enjoy the doggie love. I doubt they will give you any choice! I hate hurricane/tropical storm season. I thought I had escaped when I moved accross the ocean but the gulf stream brings them up to us. Rainy weekend in the forecast from the last round of storm you guys had.

• Like 10

I've been reading Ursula Le Guin's Steering the Craft-- about writing, and has lots of writing exercises.I really liked this book & it ranks up there as one of the most helpful I've read, about writing.

One of the examples she used was Virginia Woolf, so I got Mrs Dalloway and read it... I was a bit disappointed. Le Guin uses her as an example in her discussion of shifting point of view and omniscience, but I found it more interesting technically rather than an enjoyable novel... Woolf gets so caught up in the beauty of language, like Nabokov or Joyce or Gertrude Stein, that she loses the reader. She lost me! I kept feeling that inside this book is a quite nice book, introspective/sentimental/existential yet cheerful in its way- more along the lines of Barbara Pym or even Agatha Christie- struggling to get out!

Also just read Longbourn- it's the story of Pride & Prejudice from the point of view of the Bennett household's servants... But again, the story about the servants was too thin to support a whole novel, even with the known-to-the-reader framework of Austen's novel hopefully supporting it. Plus, there was too much about the Bennett girls' dirty laundry. Blech!

Thanks for letting me share!

Steering the Craft is near the top of my TR-for-teaching list, so thanks for sharing!  I don't disagree with you about Woolf, she sure makes you work for it. I was completely unable to complete a book of hers until after I was 40. I read Mrs Dalloway with a book group, and To The LIghthouse, I had to listen to the audiobook to get pulled in before I was able to sit and read it.

I started to listen to Longbourn on vacation, and felt what you did: the story seemed thin, and while the laundry stuff evoked sympathy, I agree! Too much with the descriptions, and not much plot.  At least, I abandoned it before much plot had become apparent.

• Like 9

I have read almost all of the Malazan Book of the Fallen series and I love them! Kareni, do try this book! But I have to warn you, it is an epic fantasy series, but nothing like Wheel of Time for example. It's a lot darker and way more difficult. At the end of the first book, you will probably still have no clue what it is about. Second book, idem. Erikson doesn't explain anything, no infodumps, no helpful older wizard who explains :D.

I read it. It took me three or four tries, but I finally finished it. The only way I could make it to the end was just to read right through and not stop and puzzle over the confusing parts. Once I finished the novel, I reviewed those sections and finally understood their purpose. Some readers really like Erikson's work, but other than a few interesting scenes, the book wasn't cohesive enough for me to enjoy.

Thank you both for sharing your thoughts about the book(s).    And welcome back, Tress.

I'm pet-sitting for my sister & Tropical Storm Hermine is rolling through right now. ...

I hope that the weather will soon calm and that you and the dogs can get some rest.  (Your sister certainly picked the right time to travel!)

My two online worlds intersected this morning, my quilt blogs which are a new obsession and BaW's bookshelves topic. Since there are other quilter's here I need to share this ideahttps://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/stash-bee-3523682/hive-3-september-tutorial-bookshelves-5108890683. It's on my to do list, maybe a lap quilt. I am thinking shelves not blocks. :lol:

What a fun project (says the non-quilter)!  I hope you pursue it and show us the finished product.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

I finished Our Man in Havana. My goodreads review: It was simultaneously amusing and alarming. The main character reminded me of Walter Mitty.

My next book is Something to Remember You By: A Perilous Romance by Gene Wilder. As I was leaving our book club meeting, my friendly librarian encouraged me to check it out. I thought, why not?

• Like 8

A couple of currently free Kindle romances ~

This one I've read and enjoyed as have Luckymama and Mumto2 --

Artistic License  by Elle Pierson

""Picasso would have loved his face."

When of the world’s prestigious art collections comes to the resort town of Queenstown, New Zealand, shy art student Sophy James is immediately drawn to the pieces on display – and to the massive, silent, sexy presence keeping watch over them. She’s completely fascinated and attracted by the striking planes and angles of his unusual face, and can’t resist sneaking out her pencil when he’s not looking.

Security consultant Mick Hollister is used to women looking at his ugly mug – but not with the genuine pleasure he sees in the face of the girl with the charcoal-smudged fingers and terrible skills at covert surveillance. A security breach brings the two into fast and furious collision, and an unlikely friendship begins to blossom. And an even more unlikely – and very reluctant – love.

Introvert Sophy is content with her independence and solitude. She’s never looked for a long-term relationship, and isn’t sure she wants one now. Mick, apparently born with a face that not even a mother could love, has given up all hope of having one.

They have nothing in common. They shouldn’t even like each other. And they can’t stay away from one another."

This novella I haven't read but there's a favorable review for it here.  Be aware that this is a romance featuring two men which has adult content.

Helping Hand (Housemates Book 1)  by Jay Northcote

"Jez Fielding and James MacKenzie—Big Mac to his mates—are in their second year at uni. After partying too hard last year, they make a pact to rein themselves in. While their housemates are out drinking every weekend, Jez and Mac stay in to save cash and focus on their studies...."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

I finished a new book in a new series by an author that many of us have read. Kelley Armstrong writes some great paranormal fiction but in this new series everyone is human, not nice but human. City of the Lost https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25362841-city-of-the-lost is the first in the Casey Daniels series. It has an interesting plot concept that I found fascinating when I started reading but it got pretty tired by the end. Two women who have been roommates and friends both find themselves in danger but can't expect their situation to be solved by a call to the police. One of them discovers a secret organization that helps you disappear to a city in the far north that is filled with people like them. The place is off the grid and almost self supporting. They both apply to the "council" and are relocated. The setting is sort of Northern Exposure meets The Others (yep,Anne Bishop). Obviously this doesn't end up being a warm and fuzzy world. I probably will try the next book in this series when it is released but I didn't love this one. Simply an acceptable read that made me sleepy. ;) or maybe it should be ;( !!!

• Like 6

I hope that the weather will soon calm and that you and the dogs can get some rest.  (Your sister certainly picked the right time to travel!)

Yeah, so much for my "coastal" getaway for a few days! Lol. Sis, her dh, & a big group of friends are at DragonCon w/ my kids. They also have a friend who made it there, dodging 2 hurricanes to make it. (He comes in from Hawaii.)

We had a lull in the rain for a few hours but still high winds. Now it's pouring again. Will probably be cruddy weather through this evening.

Jane, hope you are staying dry! 

ETA:

DragonCon's parade will be televised this year. Not sure if it will be watchable online, but here's the info about it. 

(Btw, that is my sis, her dh, & crowd in the upper left photo of the webpage. My bil is the one w/ dark hair, my sis in the far left at the edge of the page.)

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 7

Yeah, so much for my "coastal" getaway for a few days! Lol. Sis, her dh, & a big group of friends are at DragonCon w/ my kids. They also have a friend who made it there, dodging 2 hurricanes to make it. (He comes in from Hawaii.)

I hope you weather the storm without any major problems. Ds is dog sitting for a friend whose family is going to DragonCon. They left this morning. I hope they don't have to go through too much bad weather, but it probably will still be a stressful drive.

• Like 7

Hi, all!  I'm back!  For the summer, our church was doing an indexing challenge/competition.  Indexing is where you go through old records and pull out certain information so it can be searched on places like FamilySearch and Ancestry.  The joke was that it would be youth vs. adults and everyone else vs. me since I've done ridiculous numbers in previous summers.  Let's just say I can be very competitive and I also do data entry super quickly and like indexing.  I really was more just challenging myself to do as many as possible, and to do more than I ever have before.  So I traded WTM time for indexing time.  The challenge officially ended on Wednesday.  From June 1 through August 31 I indexed 165,285 people.  I beat my previous summer record by over 75,000 people.

I have been reading, though.  Not as much, but some.  The last time I posted was in early July.  I had finished book #67.  Today I finished book #83.

#68 - Swamp Cabbage by Paisley Ray.  It was just okay.  It's the 6th of the Rachael O'Brien Chronicles and the previous one wrapped up the big arc so this one seemed to flounder and not know where to go.

#69 - The Scarecrow of Oz by L. Frank Baum.  Loved it.  Not as much wordplay as other Oz books, but lots of action and excitement.

#70 - Please Don't Tell My Parents I Blew Up the Moon by Richard Roberts.  I didn't like it very much.  The first Don't Tell My Parents book was great.  This one was weird and even gave my middle son nightmares.  (Read it to the boys.)

#71 - Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell.  I didn't love it.  Some parts were fabulously snarky (especially for a book written in the 1850s).  It was excessively wordy, though, since it was originally written as a serial.  (Read it for book group.)

#72 - Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.  I loved it.  It was a bit bizarre, but it worked for me.

#73 - The Book of Mormon.  We were challenged at Stake Conference (a stake is a group of wards - our word for congregations) to read The Book of Mormon by 6 months later (in October).  I finished in about 3 months.  I always love reading The Book of Mormon.

#74 - The Golden Fleece and the Heroes Who Lived Before Achilles by Padraic Colum.  I enjoyed it a lot.  It's the story of Jason and the Argonauts and what happened to some of the heroes afterward.  (Pre-read it for my 10 year old.  He'll be reading it during this school year.)

#75 - Nerve by Jeanne Ryan.  I loved it so, so much.  It's Hunger Games meets Lord of the Flies.  Players are enticed to complete dares with promises of things they looked at or liked on-line.  Watchers pay to watch the Players complete the dares.  It really makes you think, particularly about how privacy on-line is just an illusion.

#76 - Rinkitink in Oz by L. Frank Baum.  It was pretty good.  The storyline was good.  It wasn't as great as some of the other Oz books.

#77 - Don't Need the Whole Dog! by Tony James Slater.  I loved it (though there was a lot of language in it).  It's Tony's second book chronicling his time after he got back to England from Ecuador.  He and his sister helped redo a house on a "reality" show and he went to Thailand and just didn't leave for almost a year, among other things.

#78 - Tales of Ancient Egypt by Roger Lancelyn Green.  Excellent book.  Tells many stories in an easy for kids to understand way.  (Also pre-read for my middle son - he finished it yesterday and loved it.)

#79 - Please Don't Tell My Parents I've Got Henchmen by Richard Roberts.  Totally and completely hated it.  There was no actual plot.  It was all over the place and quite a mess.  (Read it to my little two and husband.)

#80 - Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli.  Absolutely love it.  Stargirl is formerly homeschooled and shows up at public school in 11th grade.  At first people are intrigued by how different she is, but then they turn on her.  She's too different.  She tries conforming, but it's not her.  It's a great book to show how everyone should be allowed to be themselves.  (Read for book group.)

#81 - Jonas Salk: Conquering Polio by Stephanie Sammartino McPherson.  Excellent biography of Salk and his vaccine.  (Read it to my little two.)

#82 - Small Steps: The Year I Got Polio by Peg Kehret.  In 1949 Peg was 12 and the only person in her town diagnosed with polio.  Within a day she was paralyzed.  The book chronicles her illness and recovery.  It's so well written with such beautiful ways of phrasing things.  She is still alive (she's written over 50 books) and so I sent her a Facebook message telling her how much we enjoyed the book and I got a nice message back about an hour later.  (Read it to my boys.)

#83 - Can I Kiss Her Yet? by Tony James Slater.  I loved it.  The language wasn't even that bad.  It's Tony's fourth book (so now I've read them all, completely out of order - 3, 1, 5, 2, 4).  He starts up right when he went back to England after proposing to Roo in Australia (end of book 3).  It covers a trip to Jordan with his mum and Roo, his sister Gill's wedding, his and Roo's wedding (they just celebrated their 5th anniversary), going around England with Roo after they got married, and then back to Australia (where he has since emigrated officially to).

Speaking of Tony and Roo, they arrive at our house day after tomorrow.  We expect them some time Sunday evening.  Monday we're taking them to downtown San Antonio to the Alamo and River Walk.  We might go on the boat tour and maybe the Tower of the Americas.  Possibly the toilet seat museum.  Monday evening we are going to a cookout at our friends' house.  That should be interesting since a bunch of Mormons means no alcohol and a lot kids.  Not exactly typical for Tony and Roo.  They'll be leaving Tuesday morning.

• Like 9

Welcome back, Heather!

Speaking of Tony and Roo, they arrive at our house day after tomorrow.  We expect them some time Sunday evening.  Monday we're taking them to downtown San Antonio to the Alamo and River Walk.  We might go on the boat tour and maybe the Tower of the Americas.  Possibly the toilet seat museum.  Monday evening we are going to a cookout at our friends' house.  That should be interesting since a bunch of Mormons means no alcohol and a lot kids.  Not exactly typical for Tony and Roo.  They'll be leaving Tuesday morning.

A toilet seat museum sounds intriguing.  (I was trying to think of something punny ... uplifting?!)  I hope that you have a wonderful visit with Tony and Roo.  I put in a purchase suggestion to my library due to your previous discussion.  They've ordered That Bear Ate My Pants!, and it's being processed now.

Power has been out for hours now. Just seeing some work trucks arriving, probably for transformer that is a few houses away.

Hoping you see the light soon, Stacia.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

Power has been out for hours now. Just seeing some work trucks arriving, probably for transformer that is a few houses away.

Obviously none of us who liked your post actually like your post.

We have friends and some extended family in Tallahassee who are still without power. Hopefully they'll get you back up and running soon. I hate tropical storm/hurricane power outages. The humidity from the storm makes it so uncomfortable without a way to cool off. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 7

I finished an enjoyable contemporary romance last night ~

Love On My Mind by Tracey Livesay

The hero of the story has Asperger Syndrome, so I was reminded of one of my favorite historical romances, Jennifer Ashley's, The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie (Mackenzies Series), whose hero is similarly afflicted.

"Successful PR executive Chelsea Grant is one assignment away from making partner at her firm and nothing will stand in her way. Her big break? Turn a reclusive computer genius into a media darling in time for his new product launch. He may have been dubbed the "sexiest geek alive" but he has no patience for the press—and it shows. Piece of cake, right? Only problem is… his company doesn’t want him to know they hired her.

After a disastrous product launch two years ago, tech CEO Adam Bennett knows the success of his new device depends on the media’s support. When a twist of fate brings the beautiful PR specialist to his door, Adam hires Chelsea to help turn his image around. Their attraction is undeniable and the more time they spend together, the harder it becomes to keep things professional.

But when Adam discovers Chelsea’s deception, will she risk everything for her career or is love the real thing on her mind?"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

My s-i-l in Gainesville posted a photo of their generator and commented on the sweet sound of chainsaws the morning after a hurricane! They reported several trees down and no power.

Keeping an eye on Lester in the Pacific (I have family in Hawaii) and wondering how Jane & dh are faring today with the remnants of Hermine churning directly over them. 

Love the DragonCon connections on this board! 

• Like 8

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child came in, finally, at the library today.  I started reading it, and it's just not doing it for me. Don't know if it's because I spent 5 hours in an intense meeting and then had a g&t, but I'm just not feeling the magic.  I think I'll let the girls read it first and tell me if I'd be insane to skip it.

I don't think that it being a play format is the problem, I read a lot of plays and am ok with them. I just feel like it's jumping through time so fast, it's not really developing the story. I may not be giving it enough of a chance, but it's been a long day. . . 

• Like 10

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child came in, finally, at the library today. I started reading it, and it's just not doing it for me. Don't know if it's because I spent 5 hours in an intense meeting and then had a g&t, but I'm just not feeling the magic. I think I'll let the girls read it first and tell me if I'd be insane to skip it.

I don't think that it being a play format is the problem, I read a lot of plays and am ok with them. I just feel like it's jumping through time so fast, it's not really developing the story. I may not be giving it enough of a chance, but it's been a long day. . .

I will be curious to hear what you and the girls think of it. Dd and I both read it and felt pretty ambivalent about it. We thought one new character was sweet but after reading other's comments I guess we are in the minority about that too! :lol: Ds had it on his kindle for 3 weeks and didn't bother.....he is the kid who really hadn't read any real books but sat down with book 6 because I refused to read the sad books out loud. His lack of interest surprised me but I didn't bug him about it. Just gave the 2 day warning. ;(

• Like 6

I will be curious to hear what you and the girls think of it. Dd and I both read it and felt pretty ambivalent about it. We thought one new character was sweet but after reading other's comments I guess we are in the minority about that too! :lol: Ds had it on his kindle for 3 weeks and didn't bother.....he is the kid who really hadn't read any real books but sat down with book 6 because I refused to read the sad books out loud. His lack of interest surprised me but I didn't bug him about it. Just gave the 2 day warning. ;(

Shannon just finished it. She said it was just ok, and she's a huge HP fan, so I'm probably going to skip it.

• Like 7

This currently free Kindle book is described as a medieval take on Hitchcock's Rear Window.

Silken Threads (Lords of Conquest)  by Patricia Ryan

"Graeham Fox comes to London to rescue his overlord’s daughter from her abusive husband, in return for which he is promised her sister’s hand in marriage and a vast estate—quite a prize for a landless soldier who’s never had a home of his own. Attacked and disabled by a broken leg, he rents a room in the humble home of Joanna Chapman, a silk merchant’s widow. Joanna, having learned not to trust handsome, charming devils like Graeham, lets him think her husband is still alive in order to keep him at a distance. Mindful of his mission—and the promised reward—Graeham tries to resist his feelings for Joanna, but the white-hot desire simmering between them cannot be denied.

Inspired by Alfred Hitchcock’s Rear Window, Silken Threads was honored with Romance Writers of America’s RITA® Award for Best Long Historical Romance"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

And here's a currently free fantasy for Kindle readers.  I believe this is only for the weekend.

Fairchild the Fearless (The Mortimer Fairchild Saga Book 1)   by Alan Paulsen

"Follow the misadventures and triumphs of shy, awkward Mortimer Fairchild, a 22nd-century space fighter pilot whose crippled starfighter crash-lands on an uncharted medieval world complete with knights in armor and dragons. Ill-suited to face the challenges of this harsh world, Fairchild - a draftee rather than a professional military man - finds it hard to cope with the problems of survival when he first arrives on the planet. Hibernating dragons, a pack of hungry wolf-like predators, and a mob of peasants test young Fairchild’s wits, but the ultimate challenge comes upon meeting Lord Gilbert, who befriends the strange young man and enlists his aid in a struggle which will decide the fate of Gilbert’s people."

and a mystery that's currently free: 

The Feast of Artemis (A Seven Deadly Sins Mystery (Seven Deadly Sins Mysteries))  by Anne Zouroudi

"The olive harvest is drawing to a close in the town of Dendra, and when Hermes Diaktoros arrives for the celebratory festival he expects an indulgent day of food and wine. But as young men leap a blazing bonfire in feats of daring, one of them is badly burned. Did he fall, or was he pushed? Then, as Hermes learns of a deep-running feud between two families, one of their patriarchs dies. Determined to find out why, Hermes follows a bitter trail through the olive groves to reveal a motive for murder, and uncovers a dark deed brought to light by the sin of gluttony."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

Well, power was finally restored after being out about 14 hours. The house was roasting, roasting, roasting hot by then.

In fact, at 3:45am, I took the dogs out into the yard because they were panting so much I thought they were going to overheat. Power lines run behind my sister's house, so I was looking that way (in complete darkness) using a flashlight to see if I could see anywhere there might be workers doing repair. (I could hear stuff kind of far away, but couldn't see anything.)

All the sudden, I hear a splash & a gurgle. My first thought is that the dumber of the two dogs (seriously, he runs on about one brain cell) had fallen into the pool & needed to be rescued. (Sis & her dh have had to rescue two different dogs who they were pet-sitting that fell into the pool.) I turn w/ my pitiful flashlight, looking at a pool filled w/ yard debris from the storm, trying to see if the dog fell in as I started to run that way... and promptly tripped on their other dog (huge black dog the size of a pony who completely blended into the darkness) & fell flat out on the concrete by the pool. As in a cartoon-style, Wile E. Coyote fall -- flying straight out in the air & then straight down onto the ground. :crying:

At this point, dumb dog (who hadn't fallen in the pool after all) comes up to look at me laying on the ground.  :huh:  (<----- That's how he was looking down on me.)

My knee looks like I'm a 6yo who survived a bad bike accident on the asphalt. The tops & the bottoms of my toes are completely cut up. My fingertips are raw & slashed open. And I hurt today like I was in a car wreck -- that all-over body pain that's deep & doesn't easily go away. I definitely feel my age today.

What did I hear? Well, it was the pool pump. It was the exact instance power was restored & the pump created a big splash & gurgle. At least I had lights for when I limped into the house to look for band-aids. 

:leaving:

• Like 9

Well, power was finally restored after being out about 14 hours.

Yay for power!

My knee looks like I'm a 6yo who survived a bad bike accident on the asphalt.

But ouch for the fall.  I hope you'll heal quickly, Stacia.

What did I hear?

I was afraid it was going to be an alligator, so I was relieved to hear it was the pool pump.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 10

You lead me to open up the question: how do y'all organize your books? (Insofar as they're organized.) 

We don't have many books, maybe a couple hundred. We go through lots of them, but we tend to read library books, and make lots of donations to the library, and drop them off at the our Little Free Library down the street. The books in the kids rooms have no organization except the large ones are on the bottom shelves because of earthquakes. The books in our bedroom are color-coded, an idea I used to mock, but which has worked well for my brain. The homeschool room is organized using the trusty "people will be here in 10 minutes and there are books all over the floor, tables, chairs, trampoline, and counter, so let's throw them all onto the shelves and call it good" method.

Shannon just finished it. She said it was just ok, and she's a huge HP fan, so I'm probably going to skip it.

DS is a big fan as well and he didn't really like it. He started the series again to "cleanse his palate."  :laugh:

My knee looks like I'm a 6yo who survived a bad bike accident on the asphalt. The tops & the bottoms of my toes are completely cut up. My fingertips are raw & slashed open. And I hurt today like I was in a car wreck -- that all-over body pain that's deep & doesn't easily go away. I definitely feel my age today.

Oh wow, I'm glad you're (somewhat) okay. Arnica will help a lot.  :grouphug:

Edited by idnib
  • Like 8

Your sister owes you big time, Stacia. 

Yes. Yes she does. Lol.

I actually feel like I've been in a car wreck & wonder if I haven't given myself some whiplash or something. I just ache. I have a giant icepack against my back right now. Even my eyeballs hurt, I think because they were jostled so hard in my fall.

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 8

Well, power was finally restored after being out about 14 hours. The house was roasting, roasting, roasting hot by then.

In fact, at 3:45am, I took the dogs out into the yard because they were panting so much I thought they were going to overheat. Power lines run behind my sister's house, so I was looking that way (in complete darkness) using a flashlight to see if I could see anywhere there might be workers doing repair. (I could hear stuff kind of far away, but couldn't see anything.)

All the sudden, I hear a splash & a gurgle. My first thought is that the dumber of the two dogs (seriously, he runs on about one brain cell) had fallen into the pool & needed to be rescued. (Sis & her dh have had to rescue two different dogs who they were pet-sitting that fell into the pool.) I turn w/ my pitiful flashlight, looking at a pool filled w/ yard debris from the storm, trying to see if the dog fell in as I started to run that way... and promptly tripped on their other dog (huge black dog the size of a pony who completely blended into the darkness) & fell flat out on the concrete by the pool. As in a cartoon-style, Wile E. Coyote fall -- flying straight out in the air & then straight down onto the ground. :crying:

At this point, dumb dog (who hadn't fallen in the pool after all) comes up to look at me laying on the ground.  :huh:  (<----- That's how he was looking down on me.)

What did I hear? Well, it was the pool pump. It was the exact instance power was restored & the pump created a big splash & gurgle. At least I had lights for when I limped into the house to look for band-aids. 

:leaving:

Oh, Stacia!  What an ordeal. So sorry and hope you mend quickly.

But . . . as soon as you mentioned the splash and gurgle, I of course was thinking . . . crocodile!! (or alligator, I can never remember which)  So I was oddly relieved to get to the end of your story and hear it was just the pool pump!  ;)  :grouphug:

ETA: Now I've read the rest of the posts, and see I wasn't alone in my fear, although I seem to be the only one who can't keep crocodiles vs alligators straight!  :D

Edited by Chrysalis Academy
  • Like 10

Now my overdue, ptsd inducing assignment is handed in, I can come and play here again. :)

Dd and I have been binging on Jane Austen, both audiobooks and dvds. We've got the Billie Piper version of Mansfield Park and the Kate Beckinsale version of Emma, neither of which I've ever seen, on order at the library. I hate both stories, so it'll be interesting to watch. Maybe they'll make me forget I hate them!

I've also been reading books about Central Asia since dd and I are doing a vague overview for geography.