Menu

I think I might start wearing perfume

Laura Corin

I really like Figue Fruitee and Jardin Mystique - haven't tried the others. It seems you're not big into the green florals and woodsy scents, do you prefer a soft spice/warm floral/amber type instead? Something like a gourmand or chypre?

ETA - I just retried Wilde and got soap and grapefruit, which explains why it wasn't on my love list. Anything grapefruit, like Pamplemousse, is a big no no for me.

Edited by Arctic Mama

I'm late to the discussion. I don't wear perfume much, but when I do I stick to two: I have a tiny bottle of Chanel No 5 for very special occasions, and a larger spray bottle of Origins Ginger Essence. I mention the latter because it's light and different from a lot of other perfumes, as it really does have a bit of a ginger aroma mixed with citrus.

I like perfumes with tobacco undertones but don't own any, so I might have to check out Memoirs of a Trespasser.

Edited by idnib

I'm late to the discussion. I don't wear perfume much, but when I do I stick to two: I have a tiny bottle of Chanel No 5 for very special occasions, and a larger spray bottle of Origins Ginger Essence. I mention the latter because it's light and different from a lot of other perfumes, as it really does have a bit of a ginger aroma mixed with citrus.

I like perfumes with tobacco undertones but don't own any, so I might have to check out Memoirs of a Trespasser.

If you like tobacco you simply have to try Chergui sometime - honey and tobacco, absolutely beautiful. It stays close to the body too.

http://www.fragrancenet.com/fragrances/serge-lutens/serge-lutens-chergui/eau-de-parfum?gclid=CMvM5r7%2d9M4CFYRmfgodCm8Gxw&mv_pc=gawus_pla_with_promotion_m_g&utm_campaign=g&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google#192042

Sample:

http://www.luckyscent.com/product/36123/chergui-by-serge-lutens

Edited by Arctic Mama

Katie, I just pulled out my Memoirs and it has a sweeter note and somewhat clay/lipstick undertone I definitely don't remember but it's a fascinating scent. Mosaic has a similar note in the wet stone smell it evokes but it less sweet, it's more herby and green where Memoirs of a Trespasser is a sweeter floral.

I can't find my Yesterday Haze anywhere, I may have used up the sample, but for fig notes Figue Fruitee and Premier Figuier are both excellent. The former is more green and the latter is warmer and more vanilla, but those are two fig fragrances I'm a huge fan of.

http://www.luckyscent.com/product/15203/premier-figuier-by-lartisan-parfumeur

Finally, if there is one brand that has made my to-buy list more than any other off Olfactif, it is actually Profumi Del Forte. Of the ones they have on there, Versilia Vintage Boise is like my new signature fragrance and Roma Imperiale is date night in a bottle. Like my older Chanels, when I want to feel like a grownup I reach for those. They're complex and lovely.

http://www.olfactif.com/collections/profumi-del-forte

That's my .02 :) - I like leather, green, white florals, non-sweet gourmands, etc etc. Nothing too sweet or citrus or cloying floral, because those trigger the headaches and nausea for me. I do very much like Imaginary Authors and Profumi hits many of the same happy spots in my brain with intriguing, complex, unisex-ish scents.

Edited by Arctic Mama

I've never hear of Chergui but it sounds good! I ordered some samples from Olfactif and I'm hoping they come before I go see my parents next week because my mom likes perfume. I'll report back.

If you like tobacco notes I recommend sniffing Chergui (one of my personal top 5)or Fumerie Turque, both by Serge Lutens.

ETA I see Chergui has already been recommended  :wub:  

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 1

I tried Cape Heartache this morning. It was way too strong and loud and "high pitched" or something. Like very old Avon perfume bottles or something. I still haven't gotten all the smell off my wrist and it is giving me a headache. Maybe it is just my body chemistry, but so far, all these have just been nasty strong on me. 

I need to give my sniffer some practice. Often I don't smell the notes in the correct order. Sometimes I smell the base notes immediately. Other times I go right to the middle notes. And still others, the top notes are the ones I smell hours later. And sometimes there are certain notes I never notice even when I try. My nose apparently doesn't know the correct order of notes. :D

I ordered Wilde, Jardin Mystique, Figue Fruitee, Eau de Celeri, and Black Pepper and Sandlewood. I can tell I am allergic to one of them, though I'm not sure which yet.

So far, I've tried Wilde. It smells of baby powder, then carnations, and has now settled into soap (maybe ivory?). It's fresh and clean but I can't see myself wearing it.

I was kind of wishing I ordered Wilde. Jardin Mystique will be coming in my next order. I'm going to hold off on ordering any more samples until I see what comes with the subscription in the next few months. I know what September will be, but have to wait to learn what they'll send in October and November.

I also noticed there aren't samples of everything. I wanted to try Summer but they don't offer a sample.

I'm late to the discussion. I don't wear perfume much, but when I do I stick to two: I have a tiny bottle of Chanel No 5 for very special occasions,

I used to wear Chanel No. 22. My mother was raised in a time when women were supposed to have a "signature scent" by wearing one perfume regularly and she taught me to find a perfume I loved and stick with it. Chanel No. 22 was mine. Now I just like to try different scents and don't care about having a signature anymore. The only thing I think it's good for is for people to remember you when they smell it after you're gone. :)

• Like 1

I think all of you folks trying on samples showed up at my church today. ;)  

I had to leave while people were standing and singing and moving around because I couldn't breathe. 

I went back in half an hour later when people were sitting and not moving and the AC had been cranked up.  It was tolerable by then.  My eyes started watering as I approached the front door the first time, so I knew it was going to be one of those days. 

If you like tobacco notes I recommend sniffing Chergui (one of my personal top 5)or Fumerie Turque, both by Serge Lutens.

ETA I see Chergui has already been recommended :wub:

Yup, love SL perfumes! And Chergui is up near the top of my faves too.

I tried Cape Heartache this morning. It was way too strong and loud and "high pitched" or something. Like very old Avon perfume bottles or something. I still haven't gotten all the smell off my wrist and it is giving me a headache. Maybe it is just my body chemistry, but so far, all these have just been nasty strong on me.

Some fragrances have very astringent, bright top notes that can feel 'loud'.

How much did you spray and where did you apply them? I usually spray half a spritz on a cotton ball and dab onto my stomach, lower back, or knees. Then I get a little fragrance but it stays very close to my body and not near my face, which helps a lot. And yes, my perfumes kind of last forever ;)

Very sweet and floral fragrances can get overpowering fast, too, so I tend to choose less sweet ones or florals that are quieter and more subdued, with notes like rose and violet as opposed to freesia pr orange blossom or something else that really grabs the nose :)

Edited by Arctic Mama

How much did you spray and where did you apply them? I usually spray half a spritz on a cotton ball and dab onto my stomach, lower back, or knees. Then I get a little fragrance but it stays very close to my body and not near my face, which helps a lot. And yes, my perfumes kind of last forever ;)

Very sweet and floral fragrances can get overpowering fast, too, so I tend to choose less sweet ones or florals that are quieter and more subdued, with notes like rose and violet as opposed to freesia pr orange blossom or something else that really grabs the nose :)

I just spray the tiniest bit possible on my wrist. Don't want to spray it somewhere it would be too hard to wash off, lol. 

I like things like Chanel #5 and Halston. Musky, "quiet" scents. Soft and low, or something like that. All these samples have been such cloying, strong obnoxious things. Really headache inducing for me. 

I remember smelling something on a lady one time in town and she said it was something with the word Egyptian in it, but I never could remember exactly what she had said to find it. It was a really nice, musky scent too. 

Since you're a connoisseur :) do you know of anything else similar to Passage d'enfer by Artisan Parfumeur? It's stunning to me and also like a little secret even though those are not at all my usual notes (hate incense). But it has no lasting power, at all.

I just spray the tiniest bit possible on my wrist. Don't want to spray it somewhere it would be too hard to wash off, lol.

I like things like Chanel #5 and Halston. Musky, "quiet" scents. Soft and low, or something like that. All these samples have been such cloying, strong obnoxious things. Really headache inducing for me.

I remember smelling something on a lady one time in town and she said it was something with the word Egyptian in it, but I never could remember exactly what she had said to find it. It was a really nice, musky scent too.

You may like some of the same ones I do then. As I recommended above, Versilia Vintage Boise is amazing, and Mosaic as well, carried on Olfactif. Chanel no 19, especially the EDP or parfum strength, is in my top five all time favorites list. If you have smelled that in a department store, or Gardenia by Chanel, and prefer those, I think you're in the green/mossy/amber/leather camp, along with unsweet florals.

Here are the notes on 19:

http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Chanel/Chanel-No-19-Eau-de-Parfum-12345.html

Here are the notes for Mosaic, which I like very much too. You can see the overlap in some ingredients, though this one stays extremely close to the body (low sillage) which I love:

http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Imaginary-Authors/Mosaic-22536.html

And Versilia Vintage Boise, which is another available through Olfactif that is just this side of masculine and entirely amazing:

http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Profumi-del-Forte/Versilia-Vintage-Boise-7468.html

If you have smelled or tried and like any of these that's a clue. Do you have a perfume you love? Even one like Jovan White Musk (which is one of my faves!)? That could point you in the direction of other fragrances you prefer.

Since you're a connoisseur :) do you know of anything else similar to Passage d'enfer by Artisan Parfumeur? It's stunning to me and also like a little secret even though those are not at all my usual notes (hate incense). But it has no lasting power, at all.

I'm familiar with it but haven't had the pleasure of smelling it. Incense is so tricky - one of my much loved Caron frags has that note but it can easily be overwhelming, and the balsamic and musky floral combo is a hard one to hit right.

Have you given Parfum Sacre a sniff, especially the older formulation? That's where I'd begin sampling and if you like more floral or more spicy then you can work out from there.

http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Caron/Parfum-Sacre-3304.html

Can anyone recommend a Carbon Paper Scent? I used to love that smell when typewriters were still a thing. Huffing the typing supplies. :D

HA! I don't think I've run across that in my sniffs but I do know what you're talking about. Some things are extremely unique :D

I want to like perfume but I'm another one who struggles with reacting to them. I did used to wear perfume pre kids but it got discontinued. It was floral but not too overwhelming. I can't remember what it was called. I think there are some I could tolerate as a friend of mine wears something that is clearly some sort of essential oil blend. Its too strong for my taste but doesn't cause headaches or anything in me.

Wow, I never knew that there was so much to know about fragrances!  Okay, Arctic Mama and other knowledgeable people in this thread, here's my dilemma - perhaps you can help me out?  

My husband absolutely *detests* florals.  That makes me sad, because I love them, but I want to smell alluring to him, not repulsive!  So florals are completely out - it doesn't take much for him to notice.  I don't like musk, so that's out too.  

We both like woodsy, herbal, citrus, and soapy scents.  But in my limited fragrance experience, those tend to show up more in men's fragrances than women's.  Are there any women's fragrances that might work for me?  Or should I just give up and use men's???

Wow, I never knew that there was so much to know about fragrances!  Okay, Arctic Mama and other knowledgeable people in this thread, here's my dilemma - perhaps you can help me out?  

My husband absolutely *detests* florals.  That makes me sad, because I love them, but I want to smell alluring to him, not repulsive!  So florals are completely out - it doesn't take much for him to notice.  I don't like musk, so that's out too.  

We both like woodsy, herbal, citrus, and soapy scents.  But in my limited fragrance experience, those tend to show up more in men's fragrances than women's.  Are there any women's fragrances that might work for me?  Or should I just give up and use men's???

One of my favorites is La Vie Est Belle by Lancome. It's sweet and slightly spicy, but not musky or floral (to me). Love it! 

I also love Chanel Chance, Coolwater, Donna Karan Cashmere Mist, Sensual Amber (Bath and Body Works) and Victoria's Secret Dark Angel. 

I also do not like florals at all. 

One of my favorites is La Vie Est Belle by Lancome. It's sweet and slightly spicy, but not musky or floral (to me). Love it! 

I also love Chanel Chance, Coolwater, Donna Karan Cashmere Mist, Sensual Amber (Bath and Body Works) and Victoria's Secret Dark Angel. 

I also do not like florals at all. 

Thank you!  There are so many scents out there, I wouldn't even know where to get started.  This is a huge help.

• 2 weeks later...

Reporting back after receiving my Olfactif samples and trying out a few:

The first one I tried was Intense Cafe. I wish I had tried something else first because this one was disappointing and caused me to worry about all the samples I ordered. When I was a child I had a children's lip gloss which was shaped like a chocolate chip cookie and had a very sticky and cloying chocolate gloss inside. The smell reminded me of that! 

The next one I tried was Figure Fruitee, which was much better but also not my style. I had ordered it because I was intrigued by the fig, but it was too fruity and heavy for me. I think my mom, who loves figs and Eastern top notes, would enjoy it. This one had very little staying power on me.

The next day I tried Cape Heartache and fell in love with it! Throughout this process I have been reading a few articles about perfumery, both technical and marketing. One article asserted that it's better to create a perfume that is unbalanced in one direction because trying to create a perfectly balanced perfume is boring and nobody talks about it. In other words, it's better to not try to please everyone and to create something that people feel strongly about, not just to differentiate yourself from the competition, but to get people talking. Cape Heartache I think is one of the lopsided perfumes which people will either love or dislike. The fir top notes are wonderful for me, but the strawberry doesn't work for me in the first few minutes. But after that, it settles into something I loved so much I was just walking around smelling my wrist all day! It's completely different than anything else I have smelled. DH also said he liked it better after the first few minutes. We think the strawberry is synthetic because real strawberry really doesn't smell like strawberries when it's extracted, and the initial strawberry has a synthetic quality which dies down and smells like true French fraise scent after a few minutes. Love.

Yesterday I tried The Good Earth sample. I enjoyed it as well, although I think I might like it better in colder weather. It was hot here and without AC this scent was not very refreshing. It reminded me a lot of Jacomo's Silences. I'm not sure how well they overlap in terms of actual ingredients, but my mom often wears Silences and as soon as I smelled The Good Earth it reminded me of that. I do wish this one had a deeper, earthier base, but I think that expectation was set up by the name itself!

Today I put on Mosaic and I'm loving it so far. It' great for warm weather and although it's sweet, it's not cloying. It smells like something you'd want to keep in the fridge for when it's too hot, but it's not overly citrus-y either. I love oak moss and while I couldn't smell it for the first hour, it's showing itself now. Very pleasant with a mineral base I wish were a bit stronger. Like Cape Heartache, it's a keeper.

Thanks Arctic Mama, for telling me about this company and the samples! I don't think I will subscribe as I wear perfume rarely, but I do think it was worth it to order samples and find something new. I've been in my Ginger Essence/Chanel No 5 rut for years. I don't like shopping and I don't enjoy trying samples at department stores so it was easier to always purchase the same thing over and over. I'm happy to try niche perfumes at home as an alternative to chipper sales ladies trying to spray me and bright top notes designed to compete among all the other scents in a cosmetics department.

Edited by idnib

That's a pretty good haul! Half the battle is finding what you do and don't like, and sometimes what we think sounds 'us' really isn't once we put it on. That's extremely common. I'm glad you found some you love - nothing wrong with trying a sample here and there and finding a new bottle to add to the rotation :)

I really like Figue Fruitee and Jardin Mystique - haven't tried the others. It seems you're not big into the green florals and woodsy scents, do you prefer a soft spice/warm floral/amber type instead? Something like a gourmand or chypre?

ETA - I just retried Wilde and got soap and grapefruit, which explains why it wasn't on my love list. Anything grapefruit, like Pamplemousse, is a big no no for me.

I think this was to me. To be honest, I don't know what I like that specifically. I wore Tommy Girl for a while but tired of it quickly. I still love the original Banana Republic. I prefer more unisex scents. Like you, I cannot do grapefruit. Massive headaches.

I received a sample the other day of Pretty Rotten which is Rose and apple. In the bottle and on paper it smelled amazing. On me, it smelled like baby powder. I was so disappointed.