Menu

I think I might start wearing perfume

Laura Corin

I'm so tempted by Demeter fragrances. Has anyone tried them? I'm thinking about Honeysuckle, Sunshine, Jasmine, or Suntan Lotion. Laundromat and Holy Smoke sound strangely appealing as well.

In their "Back to School" collection, they include Paperback and Crayon scents.  :laugh:

Lots of interesting sounding scents there!  I'm definitely going to try some.  I'm glad to see they have sample sizes available.  One that's going into my cart for sure:  rain.  I never knew rain could smell so good until I moved to the desert.  Now it's one of my absolute favorite smells in the world.  

Thanks for posting this!

• Like 1

thank you for this thread, Laura. I used to enjoy wearing perfume but in recent years people who wear scents have been made to feel like they're unthinking, uncaring louts. I agree that perfume should be worn sparingly and subtly. I also have been in the car with ds when he was going through his Axe phase.  :lol:  

I recommend trying samples from a company like Olfactif - that way you can try tons of wonderful, high end fragrances and see what you do and don't like:
http://www.olfactif.com

Thank you. I ordered a few samples.

What do you think is the evolutionary reason for old people's distinctive smell?  I'd posit that it is a signal to Do Not Impregnate a middle aged person and it just increases as a side effect as the person continues to age but I can't quite make it work in my head.

It might tell both males and females that these are not the people you should look to for help continuing the species. For women, it can tell us this man might not live long enough to help raise any offspring. For men, it's more obvious - these women can't give you offspring. But I'm not an evolutionary biologist so I could be way off base. 

• Like 3

The change in scent thing might not have a purpose - I'd guess it is a side-effect of the body beginning to not work so well.  It might well work the other way though - because the scent changes in relation to old age, we find it less attractive.

Bad scents can tell us, sometimes, that there may be a health issue.

Not all cultures are obsessed with masking scent, so I don't know that it is something we can generalize as normal behavior.

• Like 5

I like to wear perfume, but very lightly scented kinds...and not much of it. Most of the time, though, I use scented lotions from Bath & Body Works. Full-strength, they are way too strong and will give me an instant headache. I mix a tiny amount of scented lotion with unscented (Cetaphil), probably about 5 to 1 and put all over after my shower. That gives a light scent that isn't too strong. I also have a friend who can't be around fragrance, so I just use unscented Cetaphil when I will be anywhere near her.

I like citrus, white tea, sandlewood, cedarwood, cherry blossom, even evergreen etc. scents. I really can't stand heavy sweet scents....vanilla, fruity or food of any kind...in perfume or candles. Actually, I think I prefer scents associated more with man's cologne! 

• Like 2

thank you for this thread, Laura. I used to enjoy wearing perfume but in recent years people who wear scents have been made to feel like they're unthinking, uncaring louts. I agree that perfume should be worn sparingly and subtly. I also have been in the car with ds when he was going through his Axe phase.  :lol:  

Thank you. I ordered a few samples.

It might tell both males and females that these are not the people you should look to for help continuing the species. For women, it can tell us this man might not live long enough to help raise any offspring. For men, it's more obvious - these women can't give you offspring. But I'm not an evolutionary biologist so I could be way off base. 

Ahhh.  The Axe phase.  That was overwhelming when whole groups of adolescent males got together. 

• Like 4

I like to wear perfume, but very lightly scented kinds...and not much of it. Most of the time, though, I use scented lotions from Bath & Body Works. Full-strength, they are way too strong and will give me an instant headache. I mix a tiny amount of scented lotion with unscented (Cetaphil), probably about 5 to 1 and put all over after my shower. That gives a light scent that isn't too strong. I also have a friend who can't be around fragrance, so I just use unscented Cetaphil when I will be anywhere near her.

I like citrus, white tea, sandlewood, cedarwood, cherry blossom, even evergreen etc. scents. I really can't stand heavy sweet scents....vanilla, fruity or food of any kind...in perfume or candles. Actually, I think I prefer scents associated more with man's cologne! 

That's a great idea! I may give it a try.

• Like 2

Oh my! My samples from Arctic Mama's link arrived today. First of all, I chose the least expensive shipping option, so I wasn't expecting them so soon. They get points for fast shipping.

Second, I can't stop smelling my arms where I sprayed each sample. :D

I only ordered samples of perfume in my price range, so if I really like one I'd be okay ordering it. I like all three.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 4

But how would it have been selected for? (or rather, how would it be selected against)?

• Like 1

The change in scent thing might not have a purpose - I'd guess it is a side-effect of the body beginning to not work so well.  It might well work the other way though - because the scent changes in relation to old age, we find it less attractive.

that one makes a lot of sense, either way - it's like gray hair

• Like 1

Oh my! My samples from Arctic Mama's link arrived today. First of all, I chose the least expensive shipping option, so I wasn't expecting them so soon. They get points for fast shipping.

I only ordered samples of perfume in my price range, so if I really like one I'd be okay ordering it. I like all three.

I'm a serious perfume connoisseur and of the dozens of samples I've had from Olfactif only two did I just not like on me. Most were excellent and a good ten went on my save-my-pennies-to-buy list. With the monthly coupon code it really makes acquiring new fragrances economical and the sample sizes are very generous.

I also appreciate that they give a full price range, from consumer prices fragrances in the $50-80 range to high end, rare source boutique frags. It's fantastic and for all my years of perfume trolling there are still tons of these I'd have never smelled without their curated collections.

I'm a serious perfume connoisseur and of the dozens of samples I've had from Olfactif only two did I just not like on me. Most were excellent and a good ten went on my save-my-pennies-to-buy list. With the monthly coupon code it really makes acquiring new fragrances economical and the sample sizes are very generous.

I also appreciate that they give a full price range, from consumer prices fragrances in the $50-80 range to high end, rare source boutique frags. It's fantastic and for all my years of perfume trolling there are still tons of these I'd have never smelled without their curated collections.

Do you just order samples? If so, do you get sample packs or individual samples? Full sizes? Do you have a subscription? Can you get the coupon codes without a paid subscription. I know that's a lot of questions but I'm really excited about this company. :)

Edited by Lady Florida.

I looked at that website based on your recommendation, and I just received a sample of Epic Woman. I love it!  

• Like 1

Do you just order samples? If so, do you get sample packs or individual samples? Full sizes? Do you have a subscription? Can you get the coupon codes without a paid subscription. I know that's a lot of questions but I'm really excited about this company. :)

I do the monthly club. I took a break to wear through the seventy some odd samples I still have and like that I haven't used up. The subscription is a great deal and a lot of the ones I've liked I wouldn't have even tried based on the fragrance notes. Some of the blends are very surprising in joe they wear and balance.

I don't believe, except for Mother's Day and their anniversary of opening, that they send around normal coupon codes. But with each monthly fragrance box there is a $18 off coupon to be used on one fragrance from the collection.

I like to buy the subscription on a yearly basis for the best deal, and have gifted a few of them too. The cost for the volume of samples and the discount code nearly pays for itself, to be honest. I just love this company :D

ETA - according to this they're also offering some subscriber discounts on the monthly fragrance now, in addition to the normal coupon.

http://www.mysubscriptionaddiction.com/2016/07/olfactif-subscription-box-review-coupon-july-2016.html

Edited by Arctic Mama

I looked at that website based on your recommendation, and I just received a sample of Epic Woman. I love it!

I'm glad! Like I said I have received tons of samples and most were great - very rarely are they a miss, because each fragrance is lovely and interesting, pretty much nothing like walking through the department store counters. A lot more nuance and creativity in many of these companies means the fragrances are always worth a wear even if they're not all ones I'd buy full sized bottles of.

I do the monthly club. I took a break to wear through the seventy some odd samples I still have and like that I haven't used up. The subscription is a great deal and a lot of the ones I've liked I wouldn't have even tried based on the fragrance notes. Some of the blends are very surprising in joe they wear and balance.

I don't believe, except for Mother's Day and their anniversary of opening, that they send around normal coupon codes. But with each monthly fragrance box there is a $18 off coupon to be used on one fragrance from the collection.

I like to buy the subscription on a yearly basis for the best deal, and have gifted a few of them too. The cost for the volume of samples and the discount code nearly pays for itself, to be honest. I just love this company :D

ETA - according to this they're also offering some subscriber discounts on the monthly fragrance now, in addition to the normal coupon.

http://www.mysubscriptionaddiction.com/2016/07/olfactif-subscription-box-review-coupon-july-2016.html

Thanks. I missed my email with the 15% off coupon for samples when I first ordered. I found it tonight after reading your other post and, um, went and ordered more samples.  :lol:

I might end up subscribing, at least for a while. It sounds like if you do the monthly subscriptions you can stop and start again whenever you want.

Thanks. I missed my email with the 15% off coupon for samples when I first ordered. I found it tonight after reading your other post and, um, went and ordered more samples. :lol:

I might end up subscribing, at least for a while. It sounds like if you do the monthly subscriptions you can stop and start again whenever you want.

I'd do the three month subscription then and see if you continue loving it :)

I got my samples too! I ordered 3, and I LOVE one. Memoirs of a Trespasser. I don't think I can afford a bottle, but I don't wear perfume that often, so I can just keep ordering samples, lol!!!

SaveSave

• Like 1

I got my samples too! I ordered 3, and I LOVE one. Memoirs of a Trespasser. I don't think I can afford a bottle, but I don't wear perfume that often, so I can just keep ordering samples, lol!!!

SaveSave

I got my samples and have to say that I did not like Memoirs of a Trespasser and neither did my girls. We thought it smelled to powdery and old lady-y, lol. No offense. We all have different tastes and I am nearly always the weirdo who hates what everybody else likes. :-) 

I got my samples and have to say that I did not like Memoirs of a Trespasser and neither did my girls. We thought it smelled to powdery and old lady-y, lol. No offense. We all have different tastes and I am nearly always the weirdo who hates what everybody else likes. :-) 

So funny! I thought it smelled warm, and my husband said it reminded him of the smell of a wooden cigar box that he used to store vanilla cigars in, once upon a time, like warm wood, vanilla, and tobacco. 

Wonder how much is personal chemistry too?

Ambre I think is the one that I thought was too overpowering/masculine. Sweet William was too...something. Sweet maybe?

So funny! I thought it smelled warm, and my husband said it reminded him of the smell of a wooden cigar box that he used to store vanilla cigars in, once upon a time, like warm wood, vanilla, and tobacco. 

Wonder how much is personal chemistry too?

Ambre I think is the one that I thought was too overpowering/masculine. Sweet William was too...something. Sweet maybe?

Yeah, it actually did remind me of a tobacco store when I first sprayed it on. Not something I care for either, lol.

I haven't tried my others yet, but will weigh in as I do. 

Yeah, it actually did remind me of a tobacco store when I first sprayed it on. Not something I care for either, lol.

I haven't tried my others yet, but will weigh in as I do. 

Well that makes sense then! My husband loves cigars/tobacco, but gave up smoking when we started dating. So it's a good association for him. And I like the scent of tobacco too, though not cigarette smoke. 

• Like 1

I tried Lady Vengeance this morning. It is a very strong smell. Reminds me somewhat of what I think was called Charlie perfume from years ago. I don't like it either. I can tell if I leave it on, I will have a headache soon. Also, if I were to ride in a car with it, I'd be barfing before long, lol. I am just so hard to please apparently. 

The ones I got yesterday are Eau de Celeri, Lime, Gardenia,  Benzoin, and Eau Eternelle. I like Lime Gardenia best and Eau de Celeri least, but I like them all. 

When I ordered four more so I could use the 15% off code I went with Sweet William (before I saw your post Katie), Mosaic, Jardin Mystique, and After My Own Heart. 

I like florals and citrus - light scents, not heavy florals. I had a hard time looking through so many samples with spicy or vanilla scents because I'm not a fan of either. I also don't like masculine scents. I did sign up though because this month's samples are all soliflores, and none of them are available as individual samples. 

I think I can do like Arctic Mama and just live on samples. ;)

Are you spraying it right on you, or misting the air then walking through it? You get a much lighter scent the latter way. 

I spray it on my wrist. Then wait a while and keep sniffing it as it "settles" or whatever. Sure don't want to walk through it and have my whole body smelling like something I hate, lol.

I should have known better than to try the sample pack that was supposed to be the most popular sellers. I actually prefer musks and clean, manly smells. These two have been way too "womany" for me or something. 

I should have known better than to try the sample pack that was supposed to be the most popular sellers. I actually prefer musks and clean, manly smells. These two have been way too "womany" for me or something. 

Each sample pack had at least one I wasn't interested in, so I put together my own from individual samples. 

• Like 1

I spray it on my wrist. Then wait a while and keep sniffing it as it "settles" or whatever. Sure don't want to walk through it and have my whole body smelling like something I hate, lol.

Hmm, maybe you'd like the Ambre one I didn't like because it was too manly?

I sprayed them each on an index card first, to get an idea. Didn't give the full picture due to body chemistry, but at least told me if I liked them at all. 

• Like 1

Hmm, maybe you'd like the Ambre one I didn't like because it was too manly?

I sprayed them each on an index card first, to get an idea. Didn't give the full picture due to body chemistry, but at least told me if I liked them at all. 

Neat idea! I never even thought of that. 

The ones I got yesterday are Eau de Celeri, Lime, Gardenia, Benzoin, and Eau Eternelle. I like Lime Gardenia best and Eau de Celeri least, but I like them all.

When I ordered four more so I could use the 15% off code I went with Sweet William (before I saw your post Katie), Mosaic, Jardin Mystique, and After My Own Heart.

I like florals and citrus - light scents, not heavy florals. I had a hard time looking through so many samples with spicy or vanilla scents because I'm not a fan of either. I also don't like masculine scents. I did sign up though because this month's samples are all soliflores, and none of them are available as individual samples.

I think I can do like Arctic Mama and just live on samples. ;)

Mosaic and Eau Eternelle are on my saves-my-pennies list. I would never have tried either from the perfume notes! Mosaic, in particular, is like nothing I've ever smelled. But I adore petrichor and how they captured that in a perfume I'll never know.

I'm generally a fan of ambers and musks, white florals, and some of the less sweet gourmands but plenty of frags have surprised me in my monthly samples.

And if you haven't smelled it and don't detest vanilla, Dame Perfumery's Black Flower Mexican Vanilla is pretty much my favorite scent of the last five years. Jeffrey did an amazing job on it, it's not sweet or cloying at all.

http://www.olfactif.com/products/black-flower-mexican-vanilla

Are you spraying it right on you, or misting the air then walking through it? You get a much lighter scent the latter way.

I always test with half a spritz on my hand or wrist, and give it at least an hour before judging. Some fragrances have top notes I don't love but dry down to something lovely. Old standby fragrances like Mitsouko are like that for me - I hate them in the first five minutes or in the bottle, but they warm up on my skin and really turn lovely. Some folks have chemistry that makes fragrances go really sweet on their skin, or emphasize pungent notes, so on the perfume forums we always recommend actual body testing. I like my hand because the oils warm up and develop the fragrance more quickly and it's easy to wash off if it's headache inducing.

Mosaic and Eau Eternelle are on my saves-my-pennies list. I would never have tried either from the perfume notes! Mosaic, in particular, is like nothing I've ever smelled. But I adore petrichor and how they captured that in a perfume I'll never know.

And if you haven't smelled it and don't detest vanilla, Dame Perfumery's Black Flower Mexican Vanilla is pretty much my favorite scent of the last five years. Jeffrey did an amazing job on it, it's not sweet or cloying at all.

http://www.olfactif.com/products/black-flower-mexican-vanilla

I'm wearing Eau Eternelle today and like it much better than when I first smelled it. The patchouli and sandalwood are strong at first and the clove is noticeable, but as the day wore on I could definitely detect the jasmine, lemon, and lavender. 

Mosaic isn't here yet, but if the previous shipping time is any indication, I should have it late next week since there's no mail Monday.

I don't care for vanilla. It's too sweet, even for this floral scent lover. If I ever get that in my curated samples though, I'll be willing to try it.

I'd have to go sniff Yesterday Haze again, because I think I didn't love that one and I cannot remember why. I think you'll like mosaic if the pavement after the rain scent is something you love. It's just so unique.

I ordered when this thread came up, too. It's fun to see what everyone chose and is liking. My order came quickly but I have only just started trying them since I've had a cold.

I ordered Wilde, Jardin Mystique, Figue Fruitee, Eau de Celeri, and Black Pepper and Sandlewood. I can tell I am allergic to one of them, though I'm not sure which yet.

So far, I've tried Wilde. It smells of baby powder, then carnations, and has now settled into soap (maybe ivory?). It's fresh and clean but I can't see myself wearing it.

Okay. So, I tried them all. I ended up spraying two on paper because they seemed like the type to set off my allergies.

Wilde: As I said before, soapy. I think it's dial, not ivory.

Fig Fruitee: Top note is grapefruit. It dies down into an earthy, woodsy citrus. It sort of reminds me of furniture polish.

Black Pepper & Sandalwood: Manly. Very, very manly. Does anyone remember the Avon colognes that came in bottles shaped like cars? This cologne would have been in there.

Eau de Celeri: Pretty. Sweet and bitter. I know I've smelled this before. Makes me think, "rich grandma".

Jardin Mystique: I liked this one the best though I wouldn't wear it. It starts out strong and very department store. But, on the dry down, soft and floral. Very feminine.

That's my take anyway. I'm trying to decide if I should order more since I struck out on all five.