Menu

Your voice on a recording - who else is traumatized?

VaKim

My voice sounds a lot like my daughters' voices.  However, my accent is soul crushing..lol.  I have a very, very, very country accent.  I can't seem to ditch it.  Thankfully, my kids did not pick it up.

Me too! I sound like one of those uneducated, superstitious mountain hillbillies portrayed in some movies I have seen in the past. Except that I use correct grammar. Everything sounds way too enunciated and drawn out. I hate it.

And for those of you who mentioned photos - for sure!! Not only do I have crows feet, I think I have the whole crow all over my body! I like the idea a pp had about us looking (and sounding) like we think we do in heaven, lol.

• Like 1

It's funny that most people think they sound younger/winier when they hear their recordings.  I do too.  But I don't usually hear other people that way, either in real life or when I hear their recordings.  When I hear my dd in a recording, for example, I think she sounds like she does in real life (depending on the quality of the recording), whereas she thinks she sounds much different in the recording!  How do you explain that?  Maybe we hear ourselves in recordings differently too. 

When you hear yourself, you hear not only the sound waves in the air (which is what everyone and recorders hear); you hear also through the vibrations in your bones and muscles, which are slower and therefore lower vibrations.  That's why your voice sounds lower to you.

And knowing this, I still wince everytime I hear my voice on recording!  It sounds so nasally to me.  

I knew about this being why our voices sound so different to ourselves than to others, and even so I think my recorded voice sounds awful. Mine comes out lower and even a bit fake-sounding in recordings. Interestingly even other people think my recorded voice doesn't sound like my live voice; I asked. 

• Like 1

I always hated hearing recordings of my voice!  But sometimes the recording really isn't exactly the same as your voice.  I remember my son complaining about hearing a recording of his voice and I realized that the recording was not as I heard it so what he was hearing wasn't 100% his voice.  So just go with that.....the recording was just messed up!  LOL

• Like 1

I think I was a young teen or pre-teen when I first heard my recorded voice. I couldn't believe it was me and I hated it. I didn't think my voice was that low and grainy and was disappointed. I'm long past the stage where I care. It's what I sound like. Okay. That's just the way it is.

I don't mind my voice too much.  I'm a low alto, so my voice is naturally deep, even when heard through the air

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0dzfQEEhTE3

That's a neat site. Here's me.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0kfjK6YjAbv

• Like 1

Another Valley Girl here. I cringe when I hear my voice. I've told dh more than once that I wish he could hear my voice the way I hear it. I'd sound much more intelligent. :)

I can say with confidence that twelve years in Alaska has really helped - the combo of unspecified west coast accent and the talking speed makes it bad, but people are slower up here in their speech patterns and more Canadian/Midwest in enunciation, so I sound less valley than I used to by a large measure just by talking more slowly!

Edited by Arctic Mama