Menu

Please help pick classes credits for Senior year

So, ds is about to start Senior year of high school with 45 credits from the local CC. He's only picked CC classes that will transfer to StateU to keep costs down. So the debate is to carry 3 or 4 classes this fall semester. Would 3 classes look too light when applying to college this fall? Part of this decision is cost but the other consideration is that he has other activities/sports/volunteering/work that he would like to do this fall.  (He carried 4 classes the spring of Junior year)

He's registered at local CC for Chem I (4 credit) and English 200 level Shakespeare class (3 credit). He's never studied chemistry during homeschooling. He did finish ENG 101 & 102 at CC but he's never studied Shakespeare.    He's also registered for Calc I at State U (4 credit).  He completed preCalc at the CC.  Is that enough? Is it too light ? Does he need to add a 4th class ?  Thanks for the input

JMO: I would strongly recommend no more than 3 courses, as Chemistry and Calculus are heavy time-consuming classes.

No, I don't think that will look odd at all to go from 4 classes to 3 classes -- college students do that all the time when they hit the meatier core courses. Colleges will look at the overall impressiveness of your DS's CC transcript, and will look at the rigor of the specific classes -- not the number per semester.

Congrats on having a senior, and such a hard-working one! Hope he has a wonderful year and enjoys his sports, extracurriculars, volunteering, and working, alongside his CC courses! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.