Menu

happy, inspiring, feel good book rec's :)

Soror

Which thread earlier? (I searched but couldn't find it!)

The Rosie Project was cute and entertaining. Maybe not inspiring... But happy!

Boys in the Boat

Little Princes

Life is just heavy right now.

I've not read any of them, checking them out now, hopefully I can find one/some at the library!

This sounds good at first blush.

The Anne of Green Gables books always make me giggle no matter how often I read them, or - by the same author - "Tales of Avonlea.

I also resort to the classics, i.e., Pride & Prejudice, Emma, etc.

If you are looking for something contemporary and don't mind spiritual issues being addressed:

Books by Dee Henderson, Colleen Coble and Irene Hannon. They are suspense/mystery but entertaining enough to escape.

• Like 2

This sounds good at first blush.

The Anne of Green Gables books always make me giggle no matter how often I read them, or - by the same author - "Tales of Avonlea.

I also resort to the classics, i.e., Pride & Prejudice, Emma, etc.

If you are looking for something contemporary and don't mind spiritual issues being addressed:

Books by Dee Henderson, Colleen Coble and Irene Hannon. They are suspense/mystery but entertaining enough to escape.

I've never read Anne of Green Gables, I just got the kindle edition. That also reminds me of the book Pollyanna- sappy yes but I found it uplifting, it might be time for a reread. I had downloaded Emma before vacation and forgot about it, I've been making my way through the different Austen novels and hadn't read that one yet, thanks for the reminder.

I'm not a big suspense mystery person. I like drama sometimes, generally I prefer a well-written non-fiction. 

Which thread earlier? (I searched but couldn't find it!)

The Rosie Project was cute and entertaining. Maybe not inspiring... But happy!

Boys in the Boat

Little Princes

I found Little Princes for download from the library so I checked it out, thank you! They have the other 2 but they are ILL so I'll put them on my list.

• Like 1

Alexander McCall Smith's No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series, if you aren't already familiar with these.

Eta: the mysteries are not the important part here, but rather the good humor and kindliness of the protagonist.

For pure humor, though they aren't precisely uplifting, look at E. F. Benson's Mapp and Lucia series. They're just wickedly funny in a vintage English way.

Edited by Innisfree
  • Like 2

After a game of eeny meeny miny mo I started Little Princes and am enjoying it so far. You ladies are stocking me well with reading material, thank you so much.

Anything P.G. Wodehouse but specifically his Bertie and Jeeves series. 

The library doesn't have much of Bertie and Jeeves but several other books I'm putting it on my TBR list, thank you!

Farm City. It's a great audio book.

Someone here recommended it to me when I was down in the dumps. :)

That does look entertaining, no luck at my library, thank you!

Alexander McCall Smith's No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series, if you aren't already familiar with these.
Eta: the mysteries are not the important part here, but rather the good humor and kindliness of the protagonist.

For pure humor, though they aren't precisely uplifting, look at E. F. Benson's Mapp and Lucia series. They're just wickedly funny in a vintage English way.

Lots of McCall Smith's ebooks at the library. I've not read any before b/c I don't usually read humor but I think I'll give them a try.

They have one Mapp book as well, thank you!

• Like 1

And I finished Little Princes today. It was perfect. Inspiring. Uplifting. Encouraging. Exciting.  and a teensy bit of romance :) Not to mention a happy ending! I don't want to read great literature with devastating endings right now I want to read about everything turning out in the end, even when things are tough, it all works out :) 

• Like 3

I was also going to recommend James Herriot. His books are well-written and always make me laugh. Some parts are definitely inspiring, as well. Start with All Creatures Great and Small.

James Herriot's books.

Girl of the Limberlost.

I caught part of an episode of All Creatures before and found it quite sweet but I've not read it. Kind of surprising to me there is a line on it at the library for the ebook.

A Girl of Limberlost is free on Kindle so I got it, Thanks!

The Enchanted April by Elizabeth von Arnim

I recently read & loved The Plover by Brian Doyle

Any of Terry Pratchett's Discworld (fantasy) books make me laugh.

The Razor's Edge by W. Somerset Maugham is a lovely classic.

Since you mentioned liking non-fiction, I'll second the earlier suggestion of Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert.

A couple of other interesting non-fiction books:

Pink Boots and a Machete by Mireya Mayor

West with the Night by Beryl Markham

:grouphug:

• Like 2

Would a couple of free Kindle books help cheer you up?  These two are good though the content may be disquieting.

The Governess Affair (The Brothers Sinister) by Courtney Milan  (The topic is heavy but the resolution is happy.)

"Hugo Marshall earned the nickname "the Wolf of Clermont" for his ruthless ambition--a characteristic that has served him well, elevating the coal miner's son to the right hand man of a duke. When he's ordered to get rid of a pestering governess by fair means or foul, it's just another day at work.

But after everything Miss Serena Barton has been through at the hands of his employer, she is determined to make him pay. She won't let anyone stop her--not even the man that all of London fears. They might call Hugo Marshall the Wolf of Clermont, but even wolves can be brought to heel..."

And

The Hanover Square Affair (Captain Lacey Regency Mysteries Book 1) by Ashley Gardner

"London, 1816

Cavalry captain Gabriel Lacey returns to Regency London from the Napoleonic wars, burned out, fighting melancholia, his career ended. His interest is piqued when he learns of a missing girl, possibly kidnapped by a prominent member of Parliament. Lacey's search for the girl leads to the discovery of murder, corruption, and dealings with a leader of the underworld. At the same time, he struggles with his own transition from a soldier's life to the civilian world, redefining his role with his former commanding officer, and making new friends--from the top of society to the street girls of Covent Garden."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

If the decimation of earth isn't light reading. I don't know what is. Therefore I recommend The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy

I've never read this although it is on my TBR list, I think I would enjoy it, thanks!

If you don't mind books written for children I read a whole stack of Lloyd Alexander books at one point when I just needed an escape.

I might do that I quite enjoy YA fantasy at different times. Thank you!

Amish romance books are super relaxing. Like one I like is called The Choice by Suzanne Fisher.

Ha, I didn't know that was a thing. I'll have to think on that I don't generally read romance.

The Enchanted April by Elizabeth von Arnim

I recently read & loved The Plover by Brian Doyle

Any of Terry Pratchett's Discworld (fantasy) books make me laugh.

The Razor's Edge by W. Somerset Maugham is a lovely classic.

Since you mentioned liking non-fiction, I'll second the earlier suggestion of Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert.

A couple of other interesting non-fiction books:

Pink Boots and a Machete by Mireya Mayor

West with the Night by Beryl Markham

:grouphug:

I've had Pink Boots and Machete on my list forever, I can't even get it ILL from the library, that kind of stuff is right up my alley. I requested West with the Night, sounds wonderful.

I've read Eat, Pray, Love- you're right that is exactly the right kind of book. I've yet to read a solo Pratchett book, I keep meaning to after quite enjoying his collaboration with Gaiman. The other 3 I've not read either and the seem to fit the bill, I'm putting them on my (evergrowing) list. Thank you.

Would a couple of free Kindle books help cheer you up?  These two are good though the content may be disquieting.

The Governess Affair (The Brothers Sinister) by Courtney Milan  (The topic is heavy but the resolution is happy.)

"Hugo Marshall earned the nickname "the Wolf of Clermont" for his ruthless ambition--a characteristic that has served him well, elevating the coal miner's son to the right hand man of a duke. When he's ordered to get rid of a pestering governess by fair means or foul, it's just another day at work.

But after everything Miss Serena Barton has been through at the hands of his employer, she is determined to make him pay. She won't let anyone stop her--not even the man that all of London fears. They might call Hugo Marshall the Wolf of Clermont, but even wolves can be brought to heel..."

And

The Hanover Square Affair (Captain Lacey Regency Mysteries Book 1) by Ashley Gardner

"London, 1816

Cavalry captain Gabriel Lacey returns to Regency London from the Napoleonic wars, burned out, fighting melancholia, his career ended. His interest is piqued when he learns of a missing girl, possibly kidnapped by a prominent member of Parliament. Lacey's search for the girl leads to the discovery of murder, corruption, and dealings with a leader of the underworld. At the same time, he struggles with his own transition from a soldier's life to the civilian world, redefining his role with his former commanding officer, and making new friends--from the top of society to the street girls of Covent Garden."

Regards,

Kareni

Thank you Kareni, those look a bit out of my element but interesting, I'll put them on my list.

If Christian romance is okay, try Kristi Ann Hunter's books. Her first one is a free e-book novella called A Lady of Esteem, and then there are two novels also available (not free). Full disclosure--she's a good friend of mine. I'd like her books anyway though. ;)

I don't generally read any romance but if I'm feeling in the mood I'll check it out, thanks so much.

Edited by soror
  • Like 2

I've yet to read a solo Pratchett book, I keep meaning to after quite enjoying his collaboration with Gaiman.

I would skip the first couple of ones he wrote for Discworld. Imo, you don't have to read them in order. Personally, I like the books that feature Death &/or the wizards as main characters. My ds has read way more of them than me & loves anything that has the Watch &/or Moist Von Lipwig as the main characters. (This guide might be helpful.) Also, I love the books with Tiffany Aching, especially The Wee Free Men.

• Like 1

I would skip the first couple of ones he wrote for Discworld. Imo, you don't have to read them in order. Personally, I like the books that feature Death &/or the wizards as main characters. My ds has read way more of them than me & loves anything that has the Watch &/or Moist Von Lipwig as the main characters. (This guide might be helpful.) Also, I love the books with Tiffany Aching, especially The Wee Free Men.

Thanks for the tips!

And I finished Little Princes today. It was perfect. Inspiring. Uplifting. Encouraging. Exciting. and a teensy bit of romance :) Not to mention a happy ending! I don't want to read great literature with devastating endings right now I want to read about everything turning out in the end, even when things are tough, it all works out :)

Wow, you read that fast! So glad you enjoyed it. :-)

• Like 1

I caught part of an episode of All Creatures before and found it quite sweet but I've not read it. Kind of surprising to me there is a line on it at the library for the ebook.

A Girl of Limberlost is free on Kindle so I got it, Thanks!

Others by the Limberlost author are also nice. I got a compilation of them on kindle for just a couple dollars. Keeper of the Bees is another of hers I really enjoyed.

• Like 1

Wow, you read that fast! So glad you enjoyed it. :-)

I'm a speed reader and am trying to take plenty of downtime, thanks again for the rec.

My husband and I both read that about 10 years ago! It totally inspired us and we're hoping to take a year off to do the same in about 3 yrs.

Very cool, I think I might hit it next.

Others by the Limberlost author are also nice. I got a compilation of them on kindle for just a couple dollars. Keeper of the Bees is another of hers I really enjoyed.

Thanks, if I like the first one I'll look at buying the compilation.

I recommend The Number 1 Ladies' Detective Agency.  Start with the first one and keep reading!

Thank you! I've got that on my list!

Thanks to everyone for all the great suggestions, you guys are fabulous!

One of the few books LM Montgomery wrote specifically for adults - The Blue Caste.  Lots of humor, strong female protagonist, and an ending you will love.  It was free on Kindle not long ago.  

I didn't know she had any adult books, thank you.

I also like McCall-Smith for light reading, but my favorite series of his is the Scotland St ones. 

Thank you for recommendation!

Kate Morton novels, especially her latest, The Lake House.

Thank you!

Oh!

I Capture The Castle

It's not so much romance as it is quirky family.

I love quirky, that sounds fun, thanks!

:grouphug: Sorry to hear that. 

Bill Bryson travelogues

Susan Branch has some lovely books:

9780984913664.jpg

James Herriot books

The Scrapbook of Frankie Pratt

9780061966903.jpg

I was thinking I should pick up some Bryson thanks for reminder. I've not heard of the others I'll check them out.

Girl of the Limberlost.

I just found this looking for other books-

One Year Off: Leaving it All Behind for an Around the World Journey with Our Children

Seems appropriately feel good and they had an ebook copy available.

My husband and I both read that about 10 years ago! It totally inspired us and we're hoping to take a year off to do the same in about 3 yrs.

I started both of these and am loving the Girl of Limberlost, only so-so enjoying One Year Off. As a wanna-be naturalist Limberlost instantly drew me in. 

I generally love "One Year" books and find the subject interesting, however the writing of this one is just so-so.

Edited by soror

I've enjoyed the Miss Read series and find them uplifting (and worth rereading!) The first book is titled:  The Village School and there are plenty more. 

Here's what Wikipedia says about the series:

The principal character in the Fairacre books, Miss Read, is an unmarried schoolteacher in a small village school, an acerbic and yet compassionate observer of village life. Saint's novels are wry regional social comedies, laced with gentle humour and subtle social commentary. Saint was also a keen observer of nature and the changing seasons.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

You might want to move on to Freckles, and check out Gene Stratton-Porter's other books. I went through a long phase of hunting out her books. :-)

I agree. Try her other stories, especially Freckles.

I found Freckles free on Kindle so I downloaded it. I'm going to be on the look out for her books used as I can see my daughters especially enjoying them as they get older. I found it so intriguing to that Elnora's last name was Comstock, especially with my Handbook of Nature Study by Comstock sitting right in front of me on my shelf. 

You should try James Herriott. Those books all go in order so you won't be crushed until after the fifth book. 😉

Ha, is it better or worse to strung along longer? I put the collection of the first 3 on hold at the library, there is a wait though.

I've enjoyed the Miss Read series and find them uplifting (and worth rereading!) The first book is titled:  The Village School and there are plenty more. 

Here's what Wikipedia says about the series:

Enjoy!

That sounds interesting and reminds me of Limberlost, thank you!

I finished One Year Off, in the end although I didn't find it particularly well written it was inspiring, more so the reflection at the end of the book. I picked up a couple of Pratchett books and a No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency Novel at the library, now to decide what to read next, so many good books!