Menu

Science recs for 4th grade dd upper middle/early highschool

LEK

I am after recommendations for the best text books written at an upper middle school/early high school level please. They need to be able to be used independently by the student and must be secular.

We have holt life science already.

My dd9 (4th grade) is asking for "adult text books" on science as apparently what we have already is not in depth enough for her and she seems to be left with more questions at the end of a chapter than answers.

I have quite a number of uni text books in chemistry and several biology fields however she is not at that level yet but is well beyond the elementary/early middle school books we have. Any recommendations of where to go from here? Thanks.

We've enjoyed Ellen McHenry's books. They seem to have a decent level of depth to the content. For science we've only used Cells so far, but I've got some of her others in other areas. 

We also enjoyed Life of Fred prealgebra books - one was physics and one was biology. The content isn't all encompassing, but they gave us plenty of great springboards to further study.

Oh, and Life of Fred chemistry also. We've been happy with all of these.

• Like 2

My DD loved the Uzinggo high school online science /virtual labs at that point-it gave her a chance to do a brief run-through of the content without the physical limitations. She also liked Campbell Essential Bio (the one for non-majors) as a first run through. She's a bio kid, but is definitely more interested in the specifics than the more general.

Holt bio would be another possibility, and the digital extensions would be very accessible. It's quite fluffy, but seems well done. I think DD would have liked it a few years ago, just not now.

• Like 1

My DD8 is loving Ellen McHenry's Cell. However, as someone with a bio background, I would call it in-depth but not necessarily rigorous. It's like physics for poets. It's a good intro.

For my 8 year old, it's perfect. It has much greater depth and specificity than the standard science book targeted for her age.  It is listed as appropriate for ages 10-15, but just be aware it's not equivalent to a rigorous high school bio text.

My DD is using it 99% independently.

• Like 1