Menu

Grammar woes. Again.

I feel like such an idiot.

We burnt out on CLE la last year so most our year was just iew writing. I was fine with that but knew I wanted to get good grammar coverage this year especially for my older two. We've tried Rod and Staff before and it's always flopped as in kids not like it and stressing me out. For some reason that escapes me at the moment, I was determined to make it work for us. So yeah, that's not happening. I need something independent so I can spend time helping with iew. Yes, I know Rod and Staff can be independent but that's not going to happen here.

Please hit me with your ideas. Before I determined to use RS, I almost bought fix it. I backed off because 8th grade seemed too old to start it. Nothing expensive.

I feel like such an idiot.

We burnt out on CLE la last year so most our year was just iew writing. I was fine with that but knew I wanted to get good grammar coverage this year especially for my older two. We've tried Rod and Staff before and it's always flopped as in kids not like it and stressing me out. For some reason that escapes me at the moment, I was determined to make it work for us. So yeah, that's not happening. I need something independent so I can spend time helping with iew. Yes, I know Rod and Staff can be independent but that's not going to happen here.

Please hit me with your ideas. Before I determined to use RS, I almost bought fix it. I backed off because 8th grade seemed too old to start it. Nothing expensive.

If you want only grammar, then I wouldn't recommend Rod and Staff, or CLE, or BJUP, or ABeka, or anything else like them. If you want only grammar, then you're looking at Analytical Grammar, or Easy Grammar, or Winston Grammar.

My vote is Easy Grammar. It is not a time sucker, but you do need to be the one to make corrections after each page, which only takes a minute.

• Like 2

Not trying to talk you into it, but I started Fix-it with my eighth grader last year and he learned more grammar that year than any previous year. It's short enough you could speed it up, or just give him the placement test and start him at a higher level.

• Like 3

If you want only grammar, then I wouldn't recommend Rod and Staff, or CLE, or BJUP, or ABeka, or anything else like them. If you want only grammar, then you're looking at Analytical Grammar, or Easy Grammar, or Winston Grammar.

My vote is Easy Grammar. It is not a time sucker, but you do need to be the one to make corrections after each page, which only takes a minute.

Not trying to talk you into it, but I started Fix-it with my eighth grader last year and he learned more grammar that year than any previous year. It's short enough you could speed it up, or just give him the placement test and start him at a higher level.

Thank you for the input, ladies.  I'm still trying to make up my mind.  :willy_nilly:

• Like 1

FWIW, I started my 9th grader with Fix-It last year.  She is doing better with grammar using Fix-It than anything else we had tried.  It is scheduled to be used :15 a day, 4 days a week, for 33 weeks, but you can easily have your child do 2 lessons a day, 5 days a week through the material that may be review or if your student finds it fairly easy (which they may for the first book).  That would cover 2 1/2 weeks of material in one week and the lessons would still be pretty short.  Keep moving at that pace as long as they are not struggling.  That would mean covering book 1 in around 13-14 weeks.  You could easily cover 2 books in one year, maybe three if you did lessons during the summer and the student didn't hit any snags.  The lessons are short.  It wouldn't take up much time out of the day.

ETA:  You only have to buy the TM.  That gives you access to the Student Workbook PDF at no extra cost.  Just print out the student pages needed each week (2 pages per weekly assignment so if you doubled the lessons it would be 4-6 pages per week).  Set up at the beginning may take half an hour or so.  Print out the reference cards and have your student set up their notebook to file things into.  Instructions are clearly laid out in the TM.

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 2

exactly what she said...even down to the point if easy grammar .

I use it in combination with ...lots of other things.

Can't beat easy grammar for straight grammar.

I wan analytic grammar tho too lol

• Like 1

Look no further than Six Weeks to Understanding Grammar. It's $6 on Amazon. I struggled for years with my son and grammar. What finally worked was a combination of time (he just wasn't ready until he was ready) and the right approach. You do not have to complete Six Weeks to Understanding Grammar in six weeks. That is the suggested time for review of grammar for someone who learned it previously. You can take as much time as you want to complete the book. One concept is introduced at a time and practiced until it is understood. Then you gradually add elements, continually reviewing what you have already learned. It's relatively quick, easy, and painless. We started at the beginning (what is a noun?) even though my son knew what a noun was because it built his confidence after years of grammar failure. "See? It's not so hard. In ten minutes we covered nouns. Tomorrow we will move on."

You could work on it with your older two and not worry about it with your youngers. Having worked on grammar with my kids from the time they were in first grade (they are now in 9th and 8th), I have to say that everything up to 5th grade (for my dd 9th) and 7th grade (for my ds 8th) was wasted time. Grammar needn't be taught for years on end. It can be taught briefly and well in middle school or early high school. Your children will naturally pick up some grammar as they learn to write and read; they will figure out that sentences have certain elements and how to use them. You can study those elements in further depth as your children's writing becomes more sophisticated, but there is absolutely no reason (in my opinion) why grammar-aged kids need to be filling our worksheets on grammar points or worrying about what the elements are grammar are called (beyond perhaps the parts of speech).

I would approach grammar much differently if I had it to do again.

• Like 4