Menu

tragically hip

liber

Any Canadians on here that watched this tonight?  Dh and I listened to a little bit of it.  He got teary eyed listening to  Wheat Kings.  It is his favorite song by them.

Yes, we watched it.  They're one of our fave bands.  We saw them last year in concert.  It was very different last night. 

We were busy with company but wouldn't have watched anyway.

Bad Canadians. Couldn't name one song of theirs. Never got into them.

I feel sorry for him of course. Cancer sucks.

We aren't fans per se either.  So i guess you're in good company . . . we're bad Canadians too. :)

• Like 1

I watched only a short while.  I don't tend to like recorded concerts that much, for some reason.  I like quite a few of their songs though not enough that I own any albums.

My sister went to one of the big public screenings.  She said she felt like she was watching someone play at his own funeral.

I felt a bit weird about the fact that he pretty much took what were likely to be his best days left and spent them touring rather than with his young kids.  I feel like I am being kind of judgmental when its really NOMB, but I find it hard to wrap my mind around it anyway.

• Like 1

I found it a little strange that the concert got national TV coverage over the last Saturday prime-time of the Olympics. Was the band really that popular, or have they become more so because of their unfortunate circumstances. I know none of their songs and didn't realize they were known all that well Canada-wide. I thought they were more a local ON/Kingston thing.

• Like 1

We watched. We've always appreciated their music, but I wouldn't say we were fans. I found the concert a little surreal, not in a bad way, but just... to know so clearly that someone is saying goodbye. I think he took his kids on this final tour with him; if I had spent my life dedicated to my art like that. I might make a similar choice with my final months. To spend time with my children during the days, and in the evenings to share my art with as many people as possible. I don't think that's a bad thing for his kids to see, either. Dad loves us AND he's spent his life making art he also loves. I think that's pretty valuable.

I found it a little strange that the concert got national TV coverage over the last Saturday prime-time of the Olympics. Was the band really that popular, or have they become more so because of their unfortunate circumstances. I know none of their songs and didn't realize they were known all that well Canada-wide. I thought they were more a local ON/Kingston thing.

A national thing for sure.  They are probably one of a few Canadian bands that have a really wide appeal across genres and provinces, and also a few generations.

I find the fact that the Olympics pretty much take over the CBC airwaves kind of hard to take, really, especially since they rarely seem to show the events that I would find the most interesting.

• Like 1

A national thing for sure.  They are probably one of a few Canadian bands that have a really wide appeal across genres and provinces, and also a few generations.

I'd say that more about many other bands (e.g., Trooper, The Guess Who, Loverboy, Blue Rodeo, Rush, Nickelback). I only heard of the Tragically Hip because my dh went to Queens when the band was still doing cover songs, and more recently because of their cancer tragedy. Even Crash Test Dummies have more appeal to my kids - they enjoy the Superman song.  

I'd say that more about many other bands (e.g., Trooper, The Guess Who, Loverboy, Blue Rodeo, Rush, Nickelback). I only heard of the Tragically Hip because my dh went to Queens when the band was still doing cover songs, and more recently because of their cancer tragedy. Even Crash Test Dummies have more appeal to my kids - they enjoy the Superman song.  

Most of those I would say have a more narrow appeal for various reasons.  Trooper, Loverboy, and The Guess Who tend to have older fans, and apart from the Guess Who haven't been playing areas the size of the ones the Hip do in years. They tend to play much smaller venues, and The Guess Who really doesn't produce much anymore either. 

Blue Rodeo genre-wise tends to be classed more as country rock, and I think the fans there are also older on average. 

Rush of course has still got a lot of popularity though it tends to be people who like prog rock, which is not appealing to many people for some reason.  Also, I don't know wht this is, but a lot of people don't seem to have the same kind of affection in a personal sense as they do for the Hip.

Nickleback seems to have as many people who really hate them as fans.

Off topic, but DH and I went to Queens too.

• Like 1

Blue Rodeo genre-wise tends to be classed more as country rock, and I think the fans there are also older on average.

Hey now, we were huge Blue Rodeo fans in our early 20s...! Lost Together would be "our" song if we had one...:)

They wouldn't fit the country rock genre down here at any rate. Alt folk or something, maybe. But genres are weird.

• Like 1

I think they definitely have national attention. I spent over about fifteen years living in BC and heard a lot of Hip while I was there. It's one of the few bands I would go and see.

I love Blue Rodeo, too. And I like Nickelback - sometimes.

I think the other bands you mentioned in your other post are too old or too rocky for me. And I had no idea any of them were Canadian.

Hey now, we were huge Blue Rodeo fans in our early 20s...! Lost Together would be "our" song if we had one...:)

They wouldn't fit the country rock genre down here at any rate. Alt folk or something, maybe. But genres are weird.

Alt folk with a rockabilly twist?

They used to play a kick butt old school music hall in Santa Fe. I loved them.

• Like 1

And on the topic of Great Canadian Bands don't forget Great Big Sea. NO ONE could put on a show like they could...Alan Doyle is playing here soonish and I'm so excited to hear his solo stuff. :)

As soon as I read this, Run Runaway started in my head. Had to play it (and jig around) before I could reply. DH loves it when I play GBS, because he can laugh at me bouncing around and "dancing" like a fool. Lol

I saw the Hip live in concert way back in the day, but wasn't in Canada to see/watch the farewell tour. Such sad news, though.

• Like 2

I cannot believe you just put The Tragically Hip and the "N" word in the same paragraph.  :eek:

Edited by Audrey
  • Like 3

Hey now, we were huge Blue Rodeo fans in our early 20s...! Lost Together would be "our" song if we had one... :)

Ah, but how old are you now?  Loverboy fans used to be young as well! 

They sound like a western Canadian band to me, but I think they are closer to what is sometimes called old country or alt country, and folk works a swell.  They use a lot of steel guitar which I think tends to push them in the country direction. 

I tend to think of all of those as "roots" music and there really is quite a bit of crossover, and also with rock.

I think the thing with genre is interesting, because The Tragically Hip are really just considered "rock" but there aren't many groups or individuals marketed that simply any more - pop music is really fractured into genres, and a lot of people tend to listen mostly or only within their prefered genre. 

So, because of that, and because they seem to have maintained their older fans while also appealing to new, younger ones, they have a very wide appeal that you don't see with a lot of other currently popular groups.

• Like 1

Hey, don't diss Anne Murray. Lol We are from the same home town.

I love Anne Murray. She just doesn't fall into the Canadian bands genre. She's in a class of her own.  ;)  Lucky you to have her as your hometown girl. That's really neat.

Edited by wintermom