Menu

What's with the ads?

The Girls' Mom

The 2017 Acceptance Thread

Oh boy!  I am getting that goose-bumpy feeling that I get every year, reading the acceptance thread!

Congratulations to all of the awesome kids and parents who are celebrating.  Indeed, it takes a village.  I am so grateful for this one! :party:

Edited by lisabees
  • Like 8

I'll chime in once again with hearty congratulations to those who have already received happy news!

And sending good thoughts to those who are waiting for April first; I remember how long that wait seemed when my daughter was a senior.

And sending commiseration to those who have been disappointed; I hope that happier days are on the horizon.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

And sending good thoughts to those who are waiting for April first; I remember how long that wait seemed when my daughter was a senior.

Regards,

Kareni

Amen! Ds was deferred from his first choice. Longest winter of my life!!! Happily, he got in on the regular decision round, but it was tough!

• Like 3

Dd has been accepted to Hillsdale also. It's coming with nice merit scholarships. She's pretty happy about this one!

My oldest loved Hillsdale and they were very generous. 

• Like 2

Dd just got her first response from her highly selective schools. She was accepted to Grinnell, her second choice, and awarded a merit scholarship. If her first doesn't come through, she will be quite happy to go there.

The published notification day for regular application is April 1. It is nice to hear so early.

She also heard a while back from Baldwin Wallace. She still has 5 more colleges to hear from.

• Like 29

Congratulations to everyone who has posted so far! So much good news! :hurray:

DS got his acceptance from Beloit College today, with a generous Presidential scholarship. It's not his first choice, but he has been through some very rough/stressful stuff lately and it really cheered him up. We're waiting on their financial aid package - I'm hoping the scholarship doesn't just replace all need-based aid. Also waiting on most other colleges. Waiting is very difficult.

• Like 25

Waiting IS difficult! Hang in there all!

Congratulations to your daughter, Arch! My oldest really enjoyed her visit to Grinnell. It's wonderful to have an option that will make your student happy already in place.

And congratulations to your son, Jean. Beloit is a great option, and I hope the money works out.

• Like 3

I've been traveling without a computer and it's been tough to post without autocorrect haunting me.  Huge congratulations for all the acceptances over the past couple weeks.  Huge high fives to all.

• Like 3

Dd just got her first response from her highly selective schools. She was accepted to Grinnell, her second choice, and awarded a merit scholarship. If her first doesn't come through, she will be quite happy to go there.

The published notification day for regular application is April 1. It is nice to hear so early.

She also heard a while back from Baldwin Wallace. She still has 5 more colleges to hear from.

I was at the Knox-Grinnell women's basketball game yesterday. It was an exciting game. A nice W for Grinnell.

• Like 1

DS was accepted to UC Berkeley (early announcement) and invited to apply for the Regents scholarship.

I wanted very much for this announcement to be a prime number post (and reason for post 310).

Thank you all SO much for your encouragement. We are beyond happy. Lots of tears were shed (by me).

WOW!! I was out of town for the last while and look what I missed!!!! GREAT NEWS!!! Congrats to your son!!!!! :D

• Like 2

DD got Letter of Acceptance from UC Berkeley too.  Also invited to interview for Regents' and Chancellor's Scholarship.  Got acceptance from Loyola Marymount earlier this week. 

Relieved is the word!

YAY!! As another UC hopeful, I am sooooo excited for you and your dd! I have been watching for word with bated breath. I go away for 1 week (stuck in Tahoe with all those road closures!) and look what happens. GREAT NEWS!!!! There's hope yet for us UC/A-G hopefuls! Woo-hoo!!

• Like 3

WOW!! I was out of town for the last while and look what I missed!!!! GREAT NEWS!!! Congrats to your son!!!!! :D

Thank you so much! :laugh: Hope you had a great trip (in milder weather too I hope!).

• Like 1

DS was accepted to UC Berkeley (early announcement) and invited to apply for the Regents scholarship.

I wanted very much for this announcement to be a prime number post (and reason for post 310).

Thank you all SO much for your encouragement. We are beyond happy. Lots of tears were shed (by me).

Yeah! Congrats! It is so hard when the student is really quirky and you know that only a few schools in your geographical circle will work. Such a relief! I am so happy for you!

Nan

Ps love the prime # bit!

• Like 2

Yeah! Congrats! It is so hard when the student is really quirky and you know that only a few schools in your geographical circle will work. Such a relief! I am so happy for you!

Nan

Ps love the prime # bit!

Thank you so much Nan! ((grateful hugs))

Ds was accepted to PhD program at SUNY Stoneybrook in Applied Math. It's a top ranked department, and he's very happy, but still waiting on one he really, really wants.

• Like 36

Ds was accepted to PhD program at SUNY Stoneybrook in Applied Math. It's a top ranked department, and he's very happy, but still waiting on one he really, really wants.

Ooo how exciting!

Okay - I think we got our first acceptance.

Today, ds was informed that he is the running for The Handler Scholarship at U of Rochester.  He will interview in early March.  90% of travel expenses paid.

It is quite the honor.  

• Like 41

And as of tonight it is official, my oldest will be attending Northern Arizona Univeristy in the fall. She is majoring in Civil Engineering.

I am one relived and very happy mom.

• Like 39

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

and :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: to all still waiting and/ or deferred/ denied.

• Like 5

Aw, more great news! Congrats all!

Jenne, I love Flagstaff (we used to live on the reservation just north of there), and my daughter applied for engineering at NAU last year. The money did not work out for us, but the location was awfully tempting!

• Like 4

DD just heard that she got a "likely" from Wellesley's Early Evaluation notification which means that she will receive an acceptance letter at the end of March. I can't believe that this is really happening!

• Like 33

My daughter found out today that she was admitted to IU's Jacobs School of Music. She applied for a Bachelors of Science in Music and an Outside Field. Her outside field is global studies, and she found out yesterday that she was admitted as a direct admit scholar to global studies. This came with a small scholarship which we were both happy about. Now we just have to wait until the end of March to see if she receives a scholarship from Jacobs. She will need one to attend.  

• Like 32

My daughter found out today that she was admitted to IU's Jacobs School of Music. She applied for a Bachelors of Science in Music and an Outside Field. Her outside field is global studies, and she found out yesterday that she was admitted as a direct admit scholar to global studies. This came with a small scholarship which we were both happy about. Now we just have to wait until the end of March to see if she receives a scholarship from Jacobs. She will need one to attend.

Congratulations to your dd, Jilly! Jacobs is an amazing school. I hope more money comes her way.

My D is also an SGIS direct admit. If she attends IU, she'll be an International Studies major (diplomacy, security, and governance concentration) and will attempt both the Arabic and Chinese Language Flagship programs.

• Like 25

Congratulations to your dd, Jilly! Jacobs is an amazing school. I hope more money comes her way.

My D is also an SGIS direct admit. If she attends IU, she'll be an International Studies major (diplomacy, security, and governance concentration) and will attempt both the Arabic and Chinese Language Flagship programs.

It's great that both our Ds are direct admits. I was very impressed with the program when we visited IU, and my daughter was too. The wonderful thing about IU for her is that they allow a student to pursue music and another passion which is exactly what my daughter wants. 

• Like 5

Jilly & Luckymama - I already have your DDs listed as being accepted to IU. Is Jacobs a unique acceptance requiring an additional entry on the List view? Do I correct the IU acceptance to read IU - Jacob's School of Music?

Edited by Scoutermom
  • Like 1

Jilly & Luckymama - I already have your DDs listed as being accepted to IU. Is Jacobs a unique acceptance requiring an additional entry on the List view? Do I correct the IU acceptance to read IU - Jacob's School of Music?

Yes my daughter got into Jacobs which was a separate process from the main school because it is their music school. Thanks for asking.

• Like 2

Ds received his second acceptance -- this one is to University of Connecticut. Several more to go... waiting is hard on the mama...

• Like 24

Ds just got the call-- CUNY science fellowship, I think this is the one he'll accept, unless Carnegie Mellon offers. He'll be working with a prof doing something with machine learning and cancer cells.

And Fordham offered a smaller merit award for their Masters program, that was his safety.

Edited by Dotwithaperiod
  • Like 31

My daughter just received confirmation she was selected as a finalist for the Ohio State University Eminence program.  :) 

She was also awarded full ride to University of Kentucky.

• Like 29

Ds received his second acceptance -- this one is to University of Connecticut. Several more to go... waiting is hard on the mama...

My dd was just accepted to UConn as well!  

She is waiting to hear from one more school before making her decision.  I wish they'd hurry up but the decision could come as late as May 1 :(   Ugh!  I don't think I can handle 2 more months of not knowing...

• Like 20

A department head at Davidson College called DD this week.  It was basically a "likely letter" sort of call.  He let her know the admitted student dates so that she can consider leaving them open for Davidson since she's on a short list of kids they already know they want.  DD is super excited about this because Davidson is in her top 2-3 preferred schools but she wasn't even sure she would get in because of the rumors we've heard about how they view homeschooling.  She's super excited ~ YAY!

ETA:  I guess just in the last two years Davidson has become much more amiable to homeschoolers.  A friend of mine works to help students find schools, scholarships, etc.  She was the one who always told me that Davidson was the most unfriendly to homeschoolers but now even she has had to admit that they have finally changed their note on that.  

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 27

Dd has made a decision!! She found out a little while ago that she is a McNair Scholar, so she will be attending USCarolina.  I am so incredibly happy for her.  This is a huge blessing for her and our family.  (USC allows their NMF Leiber scholarship to stack on top of McNair.)

• Like 46

Oh my, congrats to her on the scholarship 8! How absolutely wonderful! So glad it came through (not that I doubted it would ;) ). :party:

• Like 1

Oh my, congrats to her on the scholarship 8! How absolutely wonderful! So glad it came through (not that I doubted it would ;) ). :party:

Thanks, quark!  They started making phone calls yesterday.  They probably didn't realize that the kids all formed a huge group me and as soon as a phone call was made, all 46 kids knew.  Only 16 kids had posted yesterday that they had been called.  Dd was resigned that the other kids just didn't post and that she wasn't one of the named kids.  When the phone rang today, our house was a zoo b/c all of my grandkids were over here b/c we were having a big cookout.  The phone call caught her totally off-guard.  (Shortly thereafter the rest of the kids called today started posting.)  

Anyway, major, major, major celebrating here.  We are beyond happy.  God has blessed our kids so much.  I don't know how we would have managed these last 2 kids' college educations without these scholarships.  I am crying in relief and joy.  Super thankful right now.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart
  • Like 21

I am crying in relief and joy.  Super thankful right now.

So honored and humbled to say I now know how that feels (sniff). :001_wub:

• Like 3

Dd has made a decision!! She found out a little while ago that she is a McNair Scholar, so she will be attending USCarolina.  I am so incredibly happy for her.  This is a huge blessing for her and our family.  (USC allows their NMF Leiber scholarship to stack on top of McNair.)

This is awesome!  Stacking scholarship - a double win,   :party:

• Like 4