Menu

The 2017 Acceptance Thread

The Girls' Mom

Did you have to drink some wine afterward?  :cheers2:

I would have, but I've been on the road today beating the snow Canada is sending across Lake Ontario...  :glare:

Now I'm in my chair trying to be on the computer with a cat sitting between me and the laptop - he insisted on weaseling in here.  Someone missed me and isn't content remaining at my feet like he usually does.  It's considerably tougher typing, but I don't have the heart to make him move.  I'm making flight reservations for my spring break lads, so I have to be careful to click the correct buttons as he nudges my arm!  (Of course I've had to retype some of these words too.)

• Like 3

Congrats to everyone. Always fund to read these posts.

Was this always his desired plan for after graduation? I think I read on a different thread that your son had been studying/travelling abroad. My college kid loved studying abroad last year so much that she looked into going back for grad school after graduating this spring.

No, definitely not. He majored in chemistry and was planning to be a doctor. But you're right that he has been living abroad. Last summer he got a scholarship from the German government to do physical chemistry research at a university there. He enjoyed Germany very much, but he said he felt relatively uneducated surrounded by people that spoke a minimum of two languages fluently. So he decided to stay and do intensive German study.

Honestly, if you had told me a few years ago that he would be focusing his major studies and research on physical chemistry, such a mathematically intensive area of chemistry, and then living abroad and pursuing by choice intensive foreign language study, I would have told you the likelihood of that happening was about equal to him being abducted by aliens, based on our homeschooling battles over math and foreign language. So in comparison, his recent decision to apply to LSE rather than medical schools was not so surprising.

I hope your dd finds a grad program abroad that she loves!

• Like 21

No, definitely not. He majored in chemistry and was planning to be a doctor. But you're right that he has been living abroad. Last summer he got a scholarship from the German government to do physical chemistry research at a university there. He enjoyed Germany very much, but he said he felt relatively uneducated surrounded by people that spoke a minimum of two languages fluently. So he decided to stay and do intensive German study.

Honestly, if you had told me a few years ago that he would be focusing his major studies and research on physical chemistry, such a mathematically intensive area of chemistry, and then living abroad and pursuing by choice intensive foreign language study, I would have told you the likelihood of that happening was about equal to him being abducted by aliens, based on our homeschooling battles over math and foreign language. So in comparison, his recent decision to apply to LSE rather than medical schools was not so surprising.

I love that story. Thank you for sharing!!

• Like 3

Honestly, if you had told me a few years ago that he would be focusing his major studies and research on physical chemistry, such a mathematically intensive area of chemistry, and then living abroad and pursuing by choice intensive foreign language study, I would have told you the likelihood of that happening was about equal to him being abducted by aliens, based on our homeschooling battles over math and foreign language.

:lol:  It's amazing, isn't it?  How they mature.  

• Like 3

:lol: It's amazing, isn't it? How they mature.

Most definitely! And thankfully, he is now mature enough to freely admit that I was right about both the importance of having a solid math background to keep doors open and the beauty and utility of being able to speak more than one language.

Edited to add that he now also has the goal of greatly increasing his Spanish language skills, the language he very reluctantly studied in high school. His chemistry major, due to the high number of required classes, allowed him to skip the foreign language requirement of his honors college.

Edited by Frances
  • Like 4

I love these threads but what I love even more is you guys sharing stories about journeys, how impossible you thought something was that your dc eventually achieved and yes, even about cats who claim lap rights. Sigh...love, love, love.

• Like 12

I'm really glad you shared his story.  We've been bummed that middle son only got two interviews (of 20 applications) for MSTP (and none for just med school).  This is with him having a 3.96 GPA, double majors in Brain & Cognitive Science and Bio, double minors in American Sign Language and Psych, a top 96% MCAT score, lab research (including a tough program to get into at Stanford a year ago), positive peer and adult reviews from his RA job for three years and TA jobs for Organic Chem and BCS, shadowing with glowing recommendations from those docs, then his oodles of involvement in clubs - including being president of two of them... we're just blindsided that none of that was enough to get him even to the interview stage for med schools.  (And those two interviews turned out to be a waitlist and rejection, but with waitlist for med school.)

He's now working on figuring out a Plan C for his life - possibly research (esp since he IS loved there), possibly Americorps and a volunteering life - or we're still trying to get him to consider going to the Caribbean with us - he could do med school there.

Needless to say, I've quit promoting U Rochester as a pre-med school (though they are still terrific as a research school).  The lad was one of only 12 undergrads to get an academic award from UR last year... yet isn't even accepted to their own med school.  It's showed us exactly how little med schools (overall) think of the place if a TOP student at the school needs other hooks (he has none) to get interviews at places.  If he had blown interviews, that would be one thing, but to have his stats and not even GET interviews is really telling.  I wish I had known all of this about 6 years ago... (sigh)

But he'll do fine with whatever Plan C turns out to be.  It's just sad for a mama to see his plans (since third grade) dashed after how much he's accomplished in college.  And of course, that's how the world has lost a future doctor - selecting the wrong undergrad school.

If I had it to do over again, I'd have suggested he go to an LAC I think - or perhaps Pitt would have been better.

Anyway, to circle back around, I'm glad you shared your story as it makes me more positive at looking forward to his Plan C.  He's still a superb young adult with tons of capability and likability (with everyone he's ever worked with).  That hasn't changed just because we picked the wrong school for him to attend.  (sigh)  I just wish we could have a do-over!

• Like 17

He's now working on figuring out a Plan C for his life

:grouphug: I have a niece who applied to med school twice.  TBH, she was not nearly as accomplished as your ds.  According to her, if you don't already have doctors in the family, you are not going to get into med school.  :closedeyes: Are there doctors in your family?

After working a few years, she returned to school for a 3 year nurse practitioner program.  I think she'll be terrific.

• Like 2

Anyway, to circle back around, I'm glad you shared your story as it makes me more positive at looking forward to his Plan C.  He's still a superb young adult with tons of capability and likability (with everyone he's ever worked with).  That hasn't changed just because we picked the wrong school for him to attend.  (sigh)  I just wish we could have a do-over!

Can't he have a do-over next year? One of GW's ABA therapists did bio-chem at Baylor then worked for a year with ASD kids and then was admitted to UTDallas' med school. I don't know how competitive he was before the work experience or if he applied straight from Baylor but he did get in to one of his top choice schools with that extra hook.

• Like 3

Wow, creekland, I liked your post, but it is really a hug. I can't imagine.

I know mom2collegekids on CC is always posting that there is an absolute necessity for strong committees dedicated to writing LOR for med schools. I know nothing at all about med schools, but is it possible that UR doesn't have this strong dedicated med school LOR committee like she describes?

I am so sorry for your ds. He sounds like a wonderfully accomplished young man. I am sure he will find a great plan C, though disappointment at needing one sounds very justified. :(

Edited by 8FillTheHeart
  • Like 6

Creekland, I'm sitting here in shock after reading your post. I honestly thought your son would have multiple acceptances. He sounds like an amazing young man, and I'm sure he will find a wonderful plan C. You are all in my thoughts, and I'm sending hugs your way, as I know how it makes a momma's heart hurt when our child is hurting. And I know you are also dealing with your own health issues and your mom's diagnosis. We're here for you.

• Like 10

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

(To creekland and others who are experiencing bumps in the road and turns in the path...)

Echoing these hugs. Bumps (speaking from experience) in this path are so hard and one has to keep reminding one's self that this is not always a reflection of a sub par application.

Creekland, please consider my like a hug as well. That was what I had intended plus the hope that his Plan C might turn out to be incredibly good.

• Like 4

:grouphug: I have a niece who applied to med school twice.  TBH, she was not nearly as accomplished as your ds.  According to her, if you don't already have doctors in the family, you are not going to get into med school.  :closedeyes: Are there doctors in your family?

After working a few years, she returned to school for a 3 year nurse practitioner program.  I think she'll be terrific.

This is what he seems to be finding among those he knows who get into med school (from his school).  They don't have to be nearly as accomplished.  They need to have hooks.  One of those is having doctors in the family.  Another is a good backstory.  He has neither.

Can't he have a do-over next year? One of GW's ABA therapists did bio-chem at Baylor then worked for a year with ASD kids and then was admitted to UTDallas' med school. I don't know how competitive he was before the work experience or if he applied straight from Baylor but he did get in to one of his top choice schools with that extra hook.

He is still 100% contemplating his options.  He presented us with several ideas this past week (after getting that second waitlist rather than an acceptance).  We'll support him with any of them, of course.

Wow, creekland, I liked your post, but it is really a hug. I can't imagine.

I know mom2collegekids on CC is always posting that there is an absolute necessity for strong committees dedicated to writing LOR for med schools. I know nothing at all about med schools, but is it possible that UR doesn't have this strong dedicated med school LOR committee like she describes?

I am so sorry for your ds. He sounds like a wonderfully accomplished young man. I am sure he will find a great plan C, though disappointment at needing one sounds very justified. :(

This is the conclusion we've drawn - the school isn't terribly committed to getting its students into med school.  They caused him (and all others who applied) to miss the first round of interviews by not even having their end of the application done in time.  Students from other schools were getting interviews before his application was even complete - on their end.  He tells me they've fixed this for next year, but that sure didn't help.  I don't know if it made the difference, but it's definitely not anything on HIS end.

This whole med school application thing has totally soured me on UR - I'll freely admit that.  I was in love with the school before and promoted them a ton.  I've retracted a bit of that promotion (at school and elsewhere).  I've also dropped them from our "plan to donate to" annual list after we finish paying for college.

Before I would warn people not to pay attention to med school admittance rates as those can be skewed, but now I realize I should have been aware of them.  I thought top students would be able to make it in from anywhere - that's not necessarily true.  It's probably more true that one needs a hook from those with lower acceptance rates.

I'm learning as I go along - at least future students can learn from our experiences.

It also doesn't help that our state (PA) doesn't have med schools devoted to accepting students from our state like AL, TX, NC, and many other states.  I suppose we should have thought about that when we chose to move here, but honestly?  That never crossed my mind to think about when the lad was 2...

• Like 5

I love this! I was a German major before I studied Accounting and Finance. I'm now a tax attorney. There is a certain kind of logical, structured thinking that connects all these fields. LSE was definitely a pivotal point in my path. I'm forever greatful that they have the postgraduate diploma to allow people to change directions. If your son wants to talk to someone who did the program 15 years ago (gulp!) I'd be glad to chat with him. I think he is going to have a great experience, I definitely did.

• Like 4

This is the conclusion we've drawn - the school isn't terribly committed to getting its students into med school. They caused him (and all others who applied) to miss the first round of interviews by not even having their end of the application done in time. Students from other schools were getting interviews before his application was even complete - on their end. He tells me they've fixed this for next year, but that sure didn't help. I don't know if it made the difference, but it's definitely not anything on HIS end.

This whole med school application thing has totally soured me on UR - I'll freely admit that. I was in love with the school before and promoted them a ton. I've retracted a bit of that promotion (at school and elsewhere). I've also dropped them from our "plan to donate to" annual list after we finish paying for college.

Before I would warn people not to pay attention to med school admittance rates as those can be skewed, but now I realize I should have been aware of them. I thought top students would be able to make it in from anywhere - that's not necessarily true. It's probably more true that one needs a hook from those with lower acceptance rates.

I think that is really stinky for an expensive private university. Seriously. Not having them done on time is pretty inexcusable. I would be livid if I were your ds. (Though, now I am wondering, in general, about UR. Back when our oldest graduated from his small public with his ChemE degree, friends' ds graduated with his from UR. While our ds had numerous interviews and 4 job offers at graduation, their ds didn't have any interviews and it took him over 6 months to get one. This makes 2 pretty stellar kids having some pretty cruddy stuff happen.)

• Like 7

This is what he seems to be finding among those he knows who get into med school (from his school). They don't have to be nearly as accomplished. They need to have hooks. One of those is having doctors in the family. Another is a good backstory. He has neither.

It also doesn't help that our state (PA) doesn't have med schools devoted to accepting students from our state like AL, TX, NC, and many other states. I suppose we should have thought about that when we chose to move here, but honestly? That never crossed my mind to think about when the lad was 2...

I had wondered about this. Our state's medical school (we only have one) takes a minimum of 100 in-state students each year. They even have a quota system which requires 25 from each of our four Congressional districts. Makes it much more challenging to get in from the two wealthier, more urban districts than from the two poorer, rural ones. They then take another 50-60 as "open candidates." When my dad applied to medical school in our state back in the 1950's, they actually took two from each county. He was the only one who applied from his rural county!

I had no idea there was a preference for those who had doctors in their families. Why is that????

Would he consider a D.O. program? Just throwing out an idea. I don't think those have had the cache that an MD had, but my (incredibly limited) understanding is that perception has now changed.

I cannot believe that his university was so irresponsible on their side of the admissions process!!! It's shocking. Not only would I not give them any money, I would also give them an ear full as to why I wasn't.

I am so very sorry, Creekland. Hugs to you and your ds.

Edited by Hoggirl
  • Like 9

Would he consider a D.O. program? Just throwing out an idea. I don't think those have had the cache that an MD had, but my (incredibly limited) understanding is that perception has now changed.

I cannot believe that his university was so irresponsible on their side of the admissions process!!! It's shocking. Not only would I not give them any money, I would also give them an ear full as to why I wasn't.

I am so very sorry, Creekland. Hugs to you and your ds.

My guess with the doctors in the family is pure ole networking in action.  I had hoped my guy's hours of shadowing (with glowing recommendation letters) and his medical missions trip to Cote D'Ivoire plus his volunteering for Hospice (with good recommendations) would show that he knew what he was getting into (job-wise), but none of that seems to make up for having relatives in the field as their kids can also check those boxes, etc.

The thing with UR and their end of the application is that they apparently have always done it that way (their own timetable).  My guess is at one point that was sufficient, but with the way med school is so competitive now... it doesn't help.  I don't know if that's to blame TBH.  I just know it can't have helped.  It is good that they have finally changed - for next year - it just doesn't help my guy (or any others) for this past year.

We knew his getting MSTP would be tough - acceptance is tough for that program.  We just thought he was set up well to get into med school somewhere - not everywhere he applied, but surely he was good enough for somewhere.  Apparently not.  Not without hooks or a good pre-med committee anyway.  Then to not even get accepted at UR's med school... (others from his school have been accepted there, but they were either accepted straight from high school with BS/MD or have hooks - at least those he knows IRL).  Granted, UR's med school is one of the higher ranked ones so tougher to get into, but one would still think a TOP student from their OWN undergrad who has shadowed their own doctors with glowing recommendations would be an appealing candidate.  No, no that is not sufficient.  He has no hooks to help him stand out from the pack.

He's still on their waitlist for med school (not MSTP), but we're not holding our breath obviously. 

• Like 1

My niece noted that most of her med school class had parents who were doctors.

She had tried to get in an MD-PhD program but was told since her undergrad research wasn't medical research it didn't count. Basically, they were saying no one attending a school that was not associated with a med school could get in those programs because that would be the way to get in on medical research.

Her degree was in biochemistry. She had a 3.8 GPA. Her mcats were very high. She got in to one school -- what was then the new medical school associated with VT. It was not her first choice, but she made it serve her well.

She's in her third year of residency now. She would agree with the assessment that having a parent who is a doctor is a huge boost.

• Like 1

I'm so sorry, Creekland. That has got to be incredibly frustrating.

My DD wants to be a scientist, which means all kinds of opportunities to get "weeded out" along the way. Finding a good undergrad, getting into grad school school, post-docs, professor, tenure. Not to mention things like research grants getting sequestered or frozen. Right now, I'm just going along with it: I figure at this point every skill she's learning could be reapplied to something else if she changes her mind. But facing the reality that she could just fall aside despite her dreams and hard work at any step along the way is hard. I'm not even sure how to counsel her. If you could do it over again would you push having fall-back plans sooner?

Do you think he'll apply for med school again next year? I hope he finds an amazing plan B. I'm so sorry.

• Like 2

If I had it to do all over again, I'd have looked far more seriously at med school acceptance rates FROM the undergrad school - this knowing the student would have to do his end of the bargain and get the good grades, MCAT, and recommendation letters.  It seriously didn't occur to me that a student could have all that and not get interviews.  I knew they could blow interviews (nerves, low acceptance rates, whatever).  Right now I suspect that schools with a higher acceptance rate have better reputations (or networking) with med school admissions giving their students an edge.

UR is a research school.  My guy (and his peers) have had no problems getting involved and moving on to impressive research opportunities.  He has two presentations coming up this spring for that.  My guess is med schools aren't as impressed with research schools (or at least his research school) - no clue why they'd think less of it, but something has to be the cause.  

One of my guy's options now is to head for his PhD instead.  When he was at Stanford, those he worked with there encouraged him in that direction and he seriously thought about it, but opted to try med school (and MSTP) instead.  He just has to decide which path he wants now.  Volunteering appeals to him too as he's always had a heart fixing the real world and making it more like an ideal world we'd want.

So for future students, I'm sticking to my motto of "see what students have done from school X recently."  Networking and good connections mean a TON - I think that's what helped him get in at Stanford for that research position a year ago.  I thought that wasn't true for med schools.  I thought only high stats/grades and ECs mattered.  I was wrong.

Part of why I mention it here is so others can learn from it.

• Like 4

Creekland, I don't know if it interests him at all, but when my niece applied to med school, she was really young. (She graduated from high school at 15.) JHU's told her to get her master's in public health and reapply the next yr. She got her masters but did not apply to med school. She has been working for their public health division doing research since then. No idea if it is even a good approach or not, just the one they suggested to her.

• Like 2

Creekland, I don't know if it interests him at all, but when my niece applied to med school, she was really young. (She graduated from high school at 15.) JHU's told her to get her master's in public health and reapply the next yr. She got her masters but did not apply to med school. She has been working for their public health division doing research since then. No idea if it is even a good approach or not, just the one they suggested to her.

I don't know if that would appeal or not.  My guy isn't young.  He's super intelligent, but we opted to not graduate him early, so he was 18 at high school graduation, then he's already taken a Gap Year by doing Take 5 (at UR) this year, which, of course, is another thing he was accepted into by UR helping prove his worth to others, but still not good enough for their own med school again demonstrating how much their med school approves of their own undergrad institution.  (sigh)

Creekland - I am so upset for your DS especially when I consider the quality of doctors in our area. We have the worst medical care and many people wonder how in the world these people made it through medical school.

I played tennis with a fellow the other night; this guy and his wife are both doctors and we've played tennis together on and off for about 10 years. His DS went to our highly ranked state flagship for undergrad/pre-med, had good MCAT scores, and was not accepted to any med school either. He took a year off and re-applied. He is now happily studying at St. Kitts. 

• Like 2

Creekland - I am so upset for your DS especially when I consider the quality of doctors in our area. We have the worst medical care and many people wonder how in the world these people made it through medical school.

I played tennis with a fellow the other night; this guy and his wife are both doctors and we've played tennis together on and off for about 10 years. His DS went to our highly ranked state flagship for undergrad/pre-med, had good MCAT scores, and was not accepted to any med school either. He took a year off and re-applied. He is now happily studying at St. Kitts. 

The world is definitely losing out on a good doctor in this case.  Just from folks who know him his schedule would have been full - regardless of what specialty he ended up in.  He's that dedicated to getting things right and he has terrific people skills.

I keep mentioning St Kitts, Grenada, St Maarten and our willingness to adjust our island of preference.  Time will tell what he decides for Plan C.  He has time to mull it over for a bit and figure out what he wants to be when he grows up.  He's thought he's known since he was 8, so we can give him a few weeks or months to pick a new path.  I know he's applying to Americorps, so if that comes through, that may be it.

• Like 1

My college boyfriend did not get in on his first try, but got a Masters in toxicology (I think) and then got into Med School. But, I certainly understand that having to delay would be extremely frustrating. Especially for as strong of a candidate as Creekland's ds already is.

I'm going to just toss an idea out - I think there is and always has been somewhat of a divide/friction between the medical community and the academic/research community. I've known MDs who referred to PhD's as "real" doctors. Not ever sure if that was a praise or a snark. Medicine is not science in its purest sense. It just isn't. I think research people can resent the fact that MDs have historically made more money, and I think MDs can resent the fact that they aren't *really* scientists. Just an observation. Perhaps this plays into the bias toward accepting kids of MDs???

Creekland, you are generous to share your experience and perspective on how this process has worked and what your observations are. No doubt, it will help someone reading this in the future.

• Like 9

My college boyfriend did not get in on his first try, but got a Masters in toxicology (I think) and then got into Med School. But, I certainly understand that having to delay would be extremely frustrating. Especially for as strong of a candidate as Creekland's ds already is.

I'm going to just toss an idea out - I think there is and always has been somewhat of a divide/friction between the medical community and the academic/research community. I've known MDs who referred to PhD's as "real" doctors. Not ever sure if that was a praise or a snark. Medicine is not science in its purest sense. It just isn't. I think research people can resent the fact that MDs have historically made more money, and I think MDs can resent the fact that they aren't *really* scientists. Just an observation. Perhaps this plays into the bias toward accepting kids of MDs???

Creekland, you are generous to share your experience and perspective on how this process has worked and what your observations are. No doubt, it will help someone reading this in the future.

I agree.  Creekland, I am so sorry for your son.  Hopefully he will get off of the waitlist at UR Med.  Is there anyway he can talk to the doctors he has worked with to see if they can pull some strings to get him off of the waitlist?  The doctors he has worked with may not even be aware of the situation.

• Like 5

I'm going to just toss an idea out - I think there is and always has been somewhat of a divide/friction between the medical community and the academic/research community. I've known MDs who referred to PhD's as "real" doctors. Not ever sure if that was a praise or a snark. Medicine is not science in its purest sense. It just isn't. I think research people can resent the fact that MDs have historically made more money, and I think MDs can resent the fact that they aren't *really* scientists. Just an observation. 

There may be a bit to this too.  My guy has had several folks on both sides tell him that trying to do both (PhD and MD) hardly ever works - that he needs to pick a side... but then he had some on each side telling him (after working with him) that they rarely (if ever) recommend it, but they think he would be successful at both.

There really were a LOT of outside confirmation signs coming in that led him toward his direction.  The problem is... none of those folks are sifting through apps or on the admissions committees to get his app out of the pile of candidates.

I agree.  Creekland, I am so sorry for your son.  Hopefully he will get off of the waitlist at UR Med.  Is there anyway he can talk to the doctors he has worked with to see if they can pull some strings to get him off of the waitlist?  The doctors he has worked with may not even be aware of the situation.

He is planning on talking with the main doctor he's shadowed, but he's not the type to (ever) ask for favors.  They're just close enough that he'd have shared any result with him.  That doctor has been on vacation lately.  He's not on the admission committee, but had mentioned to my guy that he looked forward to working with him and hoped he would choose UR, though understood if he ended up elsewhere.  I suspect his not getting admitted to even have it as a choice will come as a shock.  It has to all of us TBH.

He's also planning on talking with the Pre-Med department at UR and asking, "What happened???"  He has that appt set up already.  I'm curious to hear their take on it all.   :glare:

• Like 5

Creekland (((hugs)))

While the colleges are trying to bring in first generation college goers, medical schools are bending backward to only accept the privileged. Good to know. Ă°Å¸ËœÂ¤

Actually, both first gen college goers and kids of doctors are those being accepted to med school.  Having a good backstory is also a hook.  My son has neither.

He just told us the results of talking with his Pre-Med adviser...

I need to retract what I said about their fixing their timetable about getting commission letters out.  They have NOT changed to doing those early like most other schools do.   :cursing:   Kids from other schools will again be getting interview acceptances before kids from UR can even submit secondaries.

Otherwise, he learned that he was the TOP applicant recommended for this year - received their top score category.

BUT he also learned that his main major, Brain & Cognitive SCIENCE is not recognized as a science for med school recommendation letters, so he had only submitted one "real" science prof recommendation letter instead of two (along with all the other sources providing letters).  That might have made the difference in getting looked at, since his app is one of hundreds or thousands when received by a school.  When he asked them why they didn't tell him this before - like last year when they looked at his app(!!!) he was told that was something he should have been aware of himself.   :banghead:

No folks, this is all new to my kid and YOU are his pre-med advisers.  It's YOUR job to advise and point out errors BEFORE application.  (GRR!)

So to all guidance counselors out there with kids thinking of heading pre-med - be aware of how good/bad the med school advising is at any future college choice.  URoc failed my guy IMO.

Incidentally, he also told us he met with one of the doctors he's shadowed (who wrote a recommendation letter) and asked him for another (should he reapply for next year - something he's debating).  That doc was stunned.  It at least makes me think our reactions aren't due to "special snowflake" syndrome.

And no, my guy will NOT consider Caribbean schools (sigh).  When I pressed him for "why" he told me it's because he's seen students from there (UR) who don't do so well get eagerly accepted in the Caribbean - they accept essentially anyone - and he doesn't want to feel part of that after he's done so much.  I guess I can respect that.

Current considerations on his part are reapplying for next year, Americorps (one year commitment, so could be done with reapplication), Teach for America (two year commitment, so not compatible with reapplying), heading for a PhD (not compatible), or "something else."  In general, he admitted to being really bummed at the moment.  I can sympathize.

On a good note, he also found out he was voted Vice Pres for a new Tango Club they got started recently... Someone out there loves him!  I just wish it could fill the otherwise deep void he's feeling. (sigh)

Off to do something useful here now.  I've been lounging pretty much all day and I've a table that needs to be cleared off for starters... tons of mail built up on it due to my absence... some of it could be important I suppose.

• Like 4

The world is definitely losing out on a good doctor in this case.  Just from folks who know him his schedule would have been full - regardless of what specialty he ended up in.  He's that dedicated to getting things right and he has terrific people skills.

I keep mentioning St Kitts, Grenada, St Maarten and our willingness to adjust our island of preference.  Time will tell what he decides for Plan C.  He has time to mull it over for a bit and figure out what he wants to be when he grows up.  He's thought he's known since he was 8, so we can give him a few weeks or months to pick a new path.  I know he's applying to Americorps, so if that comes through, that may be it.

I don't know which schools he applied to this year, but if he is willing to reapply next year he may want to look at DO schools such as LECOM and PCOM in the US instead of St. Kitts, etc.  The acceptance rate is a little better than for MD schools, and he wouldn't the issues with residencies that he would with St. Kitts, etc.

MCAT scores really matter. But showing personal interest can also tip the scale- calling, writing extra letters, sending extra letters of recommendation, etc.  Also, if he can work in a hospital doing anything this next year and try to connect with a doctor and get a letter from them that could help. 

Not everyone in med school has a doctor in the family-- someone has to the first one!

MCAT scores really matter. But showing personal interest can also tip the scale- calling, writing extra letters, sending extra letters of recommendation, etc.  Also, if he can work in a hospital doing anything this next year and try to connect with a doctor and get a letter from them that could help. 

Not everyone in med school has a doctor in the family-- someone has to the first one!

His MCAT score is one of the Top 4% of everyone taking the MCAT including having a perfect score on the section including his major and just being one question off on at least one other - perhaps two, my memory is a little fuzzy.

He's worked in the hospital there at UR (volunteering or shadowing) since his sophomore year and worked in a lab there freshman summer.  He's got quite a few MDs who are professional friends now - at least three wrote letters of recommendation for him.  Then he had the medical mission trip to Africa and volunteering for hospice, etc.

He's not really lacking anything TBH - except now we learn about the science designation of his major not being recognized by med schools (sigh).  And then the late timing of getting everything together probably didn't help.

But I really don't want to derail this thread any longer.  I just want others considering college choices (now that they have acceptances) to be aware of some of these nuts and bolts IF considering a pre-med path and living in a state without a designated "state resident" med school.

Actually, both first gen college goers and kids of doctors are those being accepted to med school.  Having a good backstory is also a hook.  My son has neither.

He just told us the results of talking with his Pre-Med adviser...

I need to retract what I said about their fixing their timetable about getting commission letters out.  They have NOT changed to doing those early like most other schools do.   :cursing:   Kids from other schools will again be getting interview acceptances before kids from UR can even submit secondaries.

Otherwise, he learned that he was the TOP applicant recommended for this year - received their top score category.

BUT he also learned that his main major, Brain & Cognitive SCIENCE is not recognized as a science for med school recommendation letters, so he had only submitted one "real" science prof recommendation letter instead of two (along with all the other sources providing letters).  That might have made the difference in getting looked at, since his app is one of hundreds or thousands when received by a school.  When he asked them why they didn't tell him this before - like last year when they looked at his app(!!!) he was told that was something he should have been aware of himself.   :banghead:

No folks, this is all new to my kid and YOU are his pre-med advisers.  It's YOUR job to advise and point out errors BEFORE application.  (GRR!)

So to all guidance counselors out there with kids thinking of heading pre-med - be aware of how good/bad the med school advising is at any future college choice.  URoc failed my guy IMO.

Incidentally, he also told us he met with one of the doctors he's shadowed (who wrote a recommendation letter) and asked him for another (should he reapply for next year - something he's debating).  That doc was stunned.  It at least makes me think our reactions aren't due to "special snowflake" syndrome.

And no, my guy will NOT consider Caribbean schools (sigh).  When I pressed him for "why" he told me it's because he's seen students from there (UR) who don't do so well get eagerly accepted in the Caribbean - they accept essentially anyone - and he doesn't want to feel part of that after he's done so much.  I guess I can respect that.

Current considerations on his part are reapplying for next year, Americorps (one year commitment, so could be done with reapplication), Teach for America (two year commitment, so not compatible with reapplying), heading for a PhD (not compatible), or "something else."  In general, he admitted to being really bummed at the moment.  I can sympathize.

On a good note, he also found out he was voted Vice Pres for a new Tango Club they got started recently... Someone out there loves him!  I just wish it could fill the otherwise deep void he's feeling. (sigh)

Off to do something useful here now.  I've been lounging pretty much all day and I've a table that needs to be cleared off for starters... tons of mail built up on it due to my absence... some of it could be important I suppose.

Wow, just wow.  I thought the general wisdom for those planning on med school was to simply study what you love in undergrad (along with the general science pre-reqs).  How was your son supposed to know that his major put him at a disadvantage?

U of R has failed him BIG TIME.  I would be absolutely livid.  U or R's response is unbelievable.  They are called "advisors" for a reason.  What is the point of having an advisor if the student is supposed to figure all of this out by himself?  I am stunned.  I can only imagine how you feel.  (hugs)

• Like 10

Wow, just wow.  I thought the general wisdom for those planning on med school was to simply study what you love in undergrad (along with the general science pre-reqs).  How was your son supposed to know that his major put him at a disadvantage?

U of R has failed him BIG TIME.  I would be absolutely livid.  U or R's response is unbelievable.  They are called "advisors" for a reason.  What is the point of having an advisor if the student is supposed to figure all of this out by himself?  I am stunned.  I can only imagine how you feel.  (hugs)

To clarify, it was not his major choice that was the problem.  It's his choice of profs for letters of recommendation.  He chose those who knew him best - those in his department who he's worked for and taken classes with.  One of those was Bio (his other major), but the others were BCS (his main major).  Brain & Cognitive Science is not considered a "science" major by med schools even if science is in the name at URoc.  He could have EASILY picked another Bio prof (or Chem or Anatomy or whatever - even Physics or Astronomy, etc) - if only he had known.  The lad has had an A- or two along the way, but never anything less.  He's been friends with pretty much every prof he's ever had.  He's kicking himself right now for not having asked someone else, but he just didn't know he should have.  (sigh)

• Like 6

He's now working on figuring out a Plan C for his life - possibly research (esp since he IS loved there), possibly Americorps and a volunteering life - or we're still trying to get him to consider going to the Caribbean with us - he could do med school there.

Oh Creekland  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

I'm flabbergasted.  No Words.

• Like 1

His MCAT score is one of the Top 4% of everyone taking the MCAT including having a perfect score on the section including his major and just being one question off on at least one other - perhaps two, my memory is a little fuzzy.

He's worked in the hospital there at UR (volunteering or shadowing) since his sophomore year and worked in a lab there freshman summer.  He's got quite a few MDs who are professional friends now - at least three wrote letters of recommendation for him.  Then he had the medical mission trip to Africa and volunteering for hospice, etc.

He's not really lacking anything TBH - except now we learn about the science designation of his major not being recognized by med schools (sigh).  And then the late timing of getting everything together probably didn't help.

But I really don't want to derail this thread any longer.  I just want others considering college choices (now that they have acceptances) to be aware of some of these nuts and bolts IF considering a pre-med path and living in a state without a designated "state resident" med school.

:grouphug:  I 'm so sorry for both of you! This is just shocking.

• Like 1

He's worked in the hospital there at UR (volunteering or shadowing) since his sophomore year and worked in a lab there freshman summer. He's got quite a few MDs who are professional friends now - at least three wrote letters of recommendation for him. Then he had the medical mission trip to Africa and volunteering for hospice, etc.

He's not really lacking anything TBH - except now we learn about the science designation of his major not being recognized by med schools (sigh). And then the late timing of getting everything together probably didn't help.

But I really don't want to derail this thread any longer. I just want others considering college choices (now that they have acceptances) to be aware of some of these nuts and bolts IF considering a pre-med path and living in a state without a designated "state resident" med school.

I really hope he doesn't give up on his dream. Get that second science letter and he can have the first submitted application next year! Seriously, timing can mean so much. We have local schools who don't do on-campus interviewing until October, when our national hiring committee starts meeting in August. It just blows my mind. So grateful my school had August interviews back in the day.

• Like 5

:grouphug:  I 'm so sorry for both of you! This is just shocking.

Very much so.  It's the equivalent of applying to an undergrad that requires 4 years of English (or any other major subject) with just 3 years and expecting to get considered (sigh).  The two places he got interview requests from both asked him for an additional recommendation letter from another science prof.  He sent it to them.  He'd have done it for all if only he had known.

At least now we know a good reason why his app probably wasn't even really looked at (given the competition out there, it likely just got discarded at most places), but it honestly doesn't make me feel any better - esp about URoc's med school advising.  He was supposedly their top student applying and NO ONE caught this until now - and then they tell him he should have checked on that himself (which is true, but the lad is incredibly busy with everything he has going on plus studying and TBH, he trusted their oversight).

I'll cross my fingers that he gets in there (or the other place) off the waitlist (esp since that one is MSTP), but I'm still encouraging him to create a Plan C.

And as before, anyone considering similar things down the road - now you have one more thing to check on - how good is their medical advising team.  I would look for high med school acceptance rates.  If your student can do their part, at least the school should also be doing theirs.  I knew URoc's was lower than many others, but I falsely assumed that an unhooked student doing well would still do ok.

• Like 5

What a cool story. It is fun to hear how people change interests and the whys behind the changes.

My daughter had an opportunity to intern in Zurich after her junior year, but she changed her mind mainly due to the internship conflicting with fall term at her school. She did wonder how she would feel living where did not understand most of the language spoken around her when she wasn't at work, where most things would have been in English. 

Instead, she spent spring term studying/interning abroad through her school. That is when she started looking at grad school as a way to justify spending more time abroad as her major doesn't require grad school. She found a program in a specialty she liked. However, she received a job offer from her summer internship that she couldn't turn down. She did delay her start date to spend the summer travelling abroad. Her new job will be far from where we live. but when people ask about that, I say at least it doesn't require a passport. (Seriously, it would have been fine if she had decided to go the foreign grad school route also.)

• Like 4

I really hope he doesn't give up on his dream. Get that second science letter and he can have the first submitted application next year! Seriously, timing can mean so much. We have local schools who don't do on-campus interviewing until October, when our national hiring committee starts meeting in August. It just blows my mind. So grateful my school had August interviews back in the day.

Creekland,

I'm so sorry to hear your son's news. While my fingers are crossed that one of his waitlists turns into an acceptance, I agree with Lawyer&Mom that it seems a shame to abandon his lifelong plans when there is a setback. 

My kids' college has a high acceptance rate for medical schools, and the students give all the credit to the person in charge of preparing them for applying for admissions, who says the only time to stop applying is when you decide you do not want to be a doctor after all. Your son's story shows the importance of good advising. I would say that is as important as a school's acceptance rate, which will vary from year to year for lots of reasons. 

Since your family has lost confidence in the med school advising at your son's school (for good reason), I was wondering if there were private medical school application consultants like there are for undergraduate admissions. I did a random search and found there is such a thing if your son wants an outside opinion on what to do next. In that search, this article caught my eye.  https://www.noodle.com/articles/rebounding-from-medical-school-rejections  It seems like good advice on whether or not to reapply. The article mentions that some med schools will offer feedback on their applications to applicants who did not get into the school . Since your son is a top applicant from the college that accompanies a med school, it seems he would definitely be able to get feedback, directly or indirectly. 

P.S. The students who I know in medical school right now do not have doctors in their families, so it is definitely possible.

Edited by *LC
  • Like 10

(((Creekland))) 

Having met your son, I am absolutely astounded by your post.  Your Ds is a personable, intelligent young man, and ANY med school would be most fortunate to have him.

Our oldest Ds received bad advising, or rather a lack of good advising, at VT, and it left us feeling betrayed.  He is doing very well in his career, but it left us with a bad taste in our mouth for the school.  If any of our children went there we would be more hands-on with helping them.  The UR med app advising is ten times worse.  I can't even imagine. 

I hope your son does not let go of his dream because of this roadblock.  He will make an EXCELLENT doctor.

Edited by MomsintheGarden
  • Like 1

Creekland, I can only echo what other posters have already said. Based on what you have written about your son, I am stunned. I really know nothing about med school admissions, so all I have to offer are hugs. And another echo: you are very generous to share your family's story.

My son is a senior getting a BA in psych, and he hopes to enter a MS clinical mental health counseling program. Advising from the school? Utterly useless. I am trying to be the guidance counselor, but am ill-equipped for the job. I really did not foresee myself in this position at this point but such is life. Sigh I hope to be posting an acceptance in this thread at some point, but who knows. Maybe yes, maybe no.

ETA: Congrats to thoes who recently posted acceptances. I did not just glance over those posts :) As I am well-aquainted with the acceptance rates at both NC and MD schools, a special shout-out to y'all.

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 1