Menu

The 2017 Acceptance Thread

The Girls' Mom

Dd received news that she was admitted to her first choice school today - Furman University. We won't know if we can actually afford it for a few more months though, but she's well aware of that. She has also been admitted to Berry College, University of Alabama Huntsville, University of West Georgia Honors College, and Centenary College of Louisiana. Still more apps out there that do not notify until mid-January or later and she may yet apply to a few more.

Thanks to all of you on this board as I have gleaned so much over the past few years from those of you that have shared your experiences.

Edited by Melabella
  • Like 24

Dd received news that she was admitted to her first choice school today - Furman University. We won't know if we can actually afford it for a few more months though, but she's well aware of that. She has also been admitted to Berry College, University of Alabama Huntsville, University of West Georgia Honors College, and Centenary College of Louisiana. Still more apps out there that do not notify until mid-January or later and she may yet apply to a few more.

Thanks to all of you on this board as I have gleaned so much over the past few years from those of you that have shared your experiences.

We are in the same boat with Furman.  DD really likes it but $ is a question.  She has a decent scholarship to start with but we still need more aid for it to work.  Good luck to your DD.  Maybe they will both get the aid they need.  :thumbup:

• Like 6

DD received her letter of admission to Boston College's Honors Program and was selected as a finalist for the Gabelli Presidential Scholar's Program. She also received acceptance at University of Michigan and Ohio State University's Honors Program.  Now she will start focusing on the competitive scholarships.

Edited by Gratia271
  • Like 33

DD received her letter of admission to Boston College's Honors Program and was selected as a finalist for the Gabelli Presidential Scholar's Program. She also received acceptance at University of Michigan and Ohio State University's Honors Program.  Now she will start focusing on the competitive scholarships.

Oh that's a great school.  DD didn't apply there but she strongly considered it.  

• Like 1

Fabulous! Congratulations to your ds!

Sebastian!! That is terrific!

I saw that Gratia271's DD was accepted to BC and seems to be doing the same (I think) scholarship competition, so big kuddos to her as well.  

It was a big relief to hear that the school was going to pay for travel.  Each ticket to the mainland starts out at around $1000.  It's not at all the same as driving regionally for a weekend.  

• Like 11

Are we doing grad school here, too? Ds got his first acceptance letter for the Data Science PhD program at WPI ( Worcester Polytech Institute) in Massachusetts.

Of course!!!! Love all kinds of acceptance news!

Many congrats to your ds - that sounds amazing!

• Like 2

DS18 heard before Christmas that he was accepted to School of the Art Institute Chicago, and won their President's Scholarship, $100,800 over 4 years. It is the only school to which he applied, so we are pretty relieved. He had a second choice but at the last minute decided it was not a great fit for him. He had a tough fall, so this is a wonderful way to end an awful first semester. Now it is all onward and upward!

Congratulations to everyone!

Maria

• Like 35

:party: For all of the acceptances so far!

Ds got his first acceptance - University of Maine Orono, with merit aid. It was not a surprise, but after getting deferred to his first choice early decision school, it is a relief to have at least one acceptance. Now we wait for the rest.

• Like 26

We can add Embry-Riddle Aeronautical (FL) to the list. No word on any money yet. 

Our oldest ds also received an acceptance from Embry-Riddle.  It was his first choice, so all the pressure is off now!  Wahoo!

Still waiting to hear back on the rest of the applications...(and financial aid/scholarships, too, of course)

• Like 23

Since we're also doing grad school acceptances, I'll add mine.

My ds, who graduated last year with a BS in chemistry, has been accepted to a graduate program at the London School of Economics to study finance and accounting.

Super fantastic!!!!! Many congrats to all!!!

I have a friend who attended the LSE before going to Harvard Law. He's now a federal judge.

Edited by Hoggirl
  • Like 4

My ds, who graduated last year with a BS in chemistry, has been accepted to a graduate program at the London School of Economics to study finance and accounting.

That is seriously impressive! Well done your DS! Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 5

The postgraduate diploma? I did that! Great program, very exciting!

• Like 1

Dd was selected as a Top Scholar at USCarolina. She will be attending their Top Scholar weekend the end of Feb. During the weekend they are interviewed and either receive a Stamps, McNair, or Horseshoe Scholarship. Since they can be stacked on top of the NMF scholarship, this is essentially a guaranteed close to full ride. :) Super excited and happy here. USC was unaffordable for us wo her being on of the few selected as a Top Scholar.

• Like 38

Dd was selected as a Top Scholar at USCarolina. She will be attending their Top Scholar weekend the end of Feb. During the weekend they are interviewed and either receive a Stamps, McNair, or Horseshoe Scholarship. Since they can be stacked on top of the NMF scholarship, this is essentially a guaranteed close to full ride. :) Super excited and happy here. USC was unaffordable for us wo her being on of the few selected as a Top Scholar.

They have French, Russian, Linguistics and International Business! How exciting! Congratulations!

• Like 9

They have French, Russian, Linguistics and International Business! How exciting! Congratulations!

Yes!!! They also have a specialized French IB program called the CIFA cohort. She is in the middle of that application right now. So for that, we wait and see. That program is exciting bc their jr yr is spent at a French university in their actual degree program with all classes taught in French alongside their French counterparts.

Super, super happy. This was her absolute dream option, but the odds were so slim that she didn't dare hope for it.

• Like 26

Yes!!! They also have a specialized French IB program called the CIFA cohort. She is in the middle of that application right now. So for that, we wait and see. That program is exciting bc their jr yr is spent at a French university in their actual degree program with all classes taught in French alongside their French counterparts.

Super, super happy. This was her absolute dream option, but the odds were so slim that she didn't dare hope for it.

Wow. That CIFA program looks amazing. Paris Dauphine is a great school. Keep us posted. So excited for her!

• Like 6

Is it normal that I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes for moms and kids I've never even met?

Congrats to all!

:party:

Me too-just thrilled for everyone!  Congratulations all-can hardly wait to see the rest roll in over the next few months!

ETA-(No idea why the SaveSave keeps showing up-it won't let me delete it-but it means nothing-never typed it myself.)

SaveSave

SaveSave

Edited by JumpedIntoTheDeepEndFirst
  • Like 4

I am so excited to finally be able to post!  Ds just got accepted to his first choice with an awesome scholarship - Allegheny College.  He also got accepted with $ to Hope College, Calvin College, and Pacific Lutheran University.  It's been a good day.  We're still waiting on four more, but I think his decision has been made  :001_smile:

• Like 32

I am so excited to finally be able to post!  Ds just got accepted to his first choice with an awesome scholarship - Allegheny College.  He also got accepted with $ to Hope College, Calvin College, and Pacific Lutheran University.  It's been a good day.  We're still waiting on four more, but I think his decision has been made  :001_smile:

Congrats to your ds! Allegheny is on my dd's list (which is admittedly pretty long still!)

• Like 4

So happy for your ds, jjeepa!!!!  Allegheny has a beautiful campus. :)

• Like 2

DS was accepted to University of Virginia today.  

I guess he had a pretty good application package.  Several schools are saying yes that I thought were pretty long shots.  

Still waiting on word on the Navy ROTC scholarship.  That would be a key part not only of paying for these nice schools, but of meeting his goal of becoming a naval officer.

• Like 36

Congrats to everyone. Always fund to read these posts.

Was this always his desired plan for after graduation? I think I read on a different thread that your son had been studying/travelling abroad. My college kid loved studying abroad last year so much that she looked into going back for grad school after graduating this spring.

Creekland's DS didn't go to VT. Creek and her dh are alumni.

My niece loved it. My DD is there now and starting to get in the groove. It's a big place for an introvert like DD.

Glad your niece liked it, and your dd does, too.  My comment was directed toward Sebastian, who has a son there in the Corps of Cadets.  My dh, ds, and I went to VT, too.  :)

ETA:  Duh.  Spelling.

Edited by MomsintheGarden
  • Like 1

That is so fabulous!!! Congratulations to you both for such outstanding work and results! :)

• Like 3