Menu

What's with the ads?

The Girls' Mom

The 2017 Acceptance Thread

Yesterday ds thinks he was accepted to George Mason University. He was notified of a merit award, but the acceptance block on his log in is still blank.

He was also accepted to Boston College in the Honor College. This is the first school with Navy ROTC.

• Like 35

Lots of exciting news! Sebastian, I hope your son's confirmation comes quickly.

Even more excitement today.  We came home from outrigger canoe paddling with neighbors and he had a thin envelope from Georgetown.  Despite being thin, it was a couple pages accepting him!!

We were still standing in the street when he opened it.  His face when he realized it was a yes was priceless.  

My neighbor and I were giggling and jumping around.  It was quite the street party.

It looked a lot like this:

:willy_nilly:  :party:  :willy_nilly:

• Like 44

What she really wants is cyber security, which she really can't do there. So, the decision will be: cyber or the possibility of flying.

Ah. I don't know much about Cal Maritime. I assumed it worked like the academies around here. I'll have to investigate. How does flying come in? AFROTC?

Nan

Holy cow Sebastian! What awesome news!

:party:

Was it ED? Do they have ROTC? D did not apply because the NPC gave a hysterical result lol

Holy cow Sebastian! What awesome news!

:party:

Was it ED? Do they have ROTC? D did not apply because the NPC gave a hysterical result lol

It was EA. DS didn't do any early action.

I'm not looking forward to the FAFSA. But it is a NROTC school, so there is a possibility of a scholarship.

• Like 1

It was EA. DS didn't do any early action.

I'm not looking forward to the FAFSA. But it is a NROTC school, so there is a possibility of a scholarship.

Fingers and toes crossed for him!

• Like 2

Ah. I don't know much about Cal Maritime. I assumed it worked like the academies around here. I'll have to investigate. How does flying come in? AFROTC?

Nan

The hope would be an active duty slot for Navy or AF. I doubt she'll end up there as she has some other choices. But hey, choices are good!

• Like 3

DS received acceptances to Auburn and Appalachian State. We have to wait on his other two choices. But I am so excited to be able to post here finally!! I have been on the board since this guy was in kindergarten! Congrats to everyone!

• Like 28

DDs schools confirmed she qualified for the top automatic merit scholarships.

University of Co at Co Springs $2500 / year

Colo State Univ Fort Collins $2000 (not quite top, she can get $2500 if her GPA goes over 4.0, which it should by the end of the year)

University of Northern Colorado $6000 / year

On to the competitive scholarships!

(Univ of Northern Colorado also has a nice "scholar's banquet" she was invited to because of qualifying. It's in January.  Should we go even if she's not sure she is going there yet? Or is that weird?)

• Like 24

DDs schools confirmed she qualified for the top automatic merit scholarships.

University of Co at Co Springs $2500 / year

Colo State Univ Fort Collins $2000 (not quite top, she can get $2500 if her GPA goes over 4.0, which it should by the end of the year)

University of Northern Colorado $6000 / year

On to the competitive scholarships!

(Univ of Northern Colorado also has a nice "scholar's banquet" she was invited to because of qualifying. It's in January.  Should we go even if she's not sure she is going there yet? Or is that weird?)

If there's a chance of getting more $$ from there and it's a place she would go to if getting more money, I'd go.  If it's at the bottom of her list and there's not a chance she'd go there, I wouldn't.

• Like 5

DD is in at Furman with the Bell Tower merit scholarship ($25,000 a year).  They said she will be invited to an on campus event to compete for more merit aid. 

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 23

Dd received news that she was admitted to her first choice school today - Furman University. We won't know if we can actually afford it for a few more months though, but she's well aware of that. She has also been admitted to Berry College, University of Alabama Huntsville, University of West Georgia Honors College, and Centenary College of Louisiana. Still more apps out there that do not notify until mid-January or later and she may yet apply to a few more.

Thanks to all of you on this board as I have gleaned so much over the past few years from those of you that have shared your experiences.

Edited by Melabella
  • Like 24

Dd received news that she was admitted to her first choice school today - Furman University. We won't know if we can actually afford it for a few more months though, but she's well aware of that. She has also been admitted to Berry College, University of Alabama Huntsville, University of West Georgia Honors College, and Centenary College of Louisiana. Still more apps out there that do not notify until mid-January or later and she may yet apply to a few more.

Thanks to all of you on this board as I have gleaned so much over the past few years from those of you that have shared your experiences.

We are in the same boat with Furman.  DD really likes it but $ is a question.  She has a decent scholarship to start with but we still need more aid for it to work.  Good luck to your DD.  Maybe they will both get the aid they need.  :thumbup:

• Like 6

DS was accepted at Guilford College with an $18,000/year merit scholarship. This is one of the "colleges that change lives" schools. It was one we visited kind of last minute but we were very impressed.

• Like 28

DD received her letter of admission to Boston College's Honors Program and was selected as a finalist for the Gabelli Presidential Scholar's Program. She also received acceptance at University of Michigan and Ohio State University's Honors Program.  Now she will start focusing on the competitive scholarships.

Edited by Gratia271
  • Like 33

DD received her letter of admission to Boston College's Honors Program and was selected as a finalist for the Gabelli Presidential Scholar's Program.

Go Eagles!  :thumbup1:

• Like 1

DD received her letter of admission to Boston College's Honors Program and was selected as a finalist for the Gabelli Presidential Scholar's Program. She also received acceptance at University of Michigan and Ohio State University's Honors Program.  Now she will start focusing on the competitive scholarships.

Oh that's a great school.  DD didn't apply there but she strongly considered it.  

• Like 1

Miami University (Ohio), which is a great safety school for DS. Both university honors and departmental honors.

Also he was chosen to compete for a full scholarship at BC, with the school paying costs of getting there. That is no small change from Hawaii.

• Like 31

Also he was chosen to compete for a full scholarship at BC, with the school paying costs of getting there. That is no small change from Hawaii.

Fabulous! Congratulations to your ds!

• Like 1

Fabulous! Congratulations to your ds!

Sebastian!! That is terrific!

I saw that Gratia271's DD was accepted to BC and seems to be doing the same (I think) scholarship competition, so big kuddos to her as well.  

It was a big relief to hear that the school was going to pay for travel.  Each ticket to the mainland starts out at around $1000.  It's not at all the same as driving regionally for a weekend.  

• Like 11

Are we doing grad school here, too? Ds got his first acceptance letter for the Data Science PhD program at WPI ( Worcester Polytech Institute) in Massachusetts.

• Like 36

Are we doing grad school here, too? Ds got his first acceptance letter for the Data Science PhD program at WPI ( Worcester Polytech Institute) in Massachusetts.

Of course!!!! Love all kinds of acceptance news!

Many congrats to your ds - that sounds amazing!

• Like 2

Congratulations to your DS! I'll put it on the list view, too!

DS18 heard before Christmas that he was accepted to School of the Art Institute Chicago, and won their President's Scholarship, $100,800 over 4 years. It is the only school to which he applied, so we are pretty relieved. He had a second choice but at the last minute decided it was not a great fit for him. He had a tough fall, so this is a wonderful way to end an awful first semester. Now it is all onward and upward!

Congratulations to everyone!

Maria

• Like 36

We can add Embry-Riddle Aeronautical (FL) to the list. No word on any money yet.

Yay! Embry Riddle is on ds's short list for applications next year.

A couple of my other kids were accepted there, but none actually went there. I think she has other, better choices, but needed schools to apply to for ROTC. One sil's undergrad degree is from there. 

:party: For all of the acceptances so far!

Ds got his first acceptance - University of Maine Orono, with merit aid. It was not a surprise, but after getting deferred to his first choice early decision school, it is a relief to have at least one acceptance. Now we wait for the rest.

• Like 27

We can add Embry-Riddle Aeronautical (FL) to the list. No word on any money yet. 

Our oldest ds also received an acceptance from Embry-Riddle.  It was his first choice, so all the pressure is off now!  Wahoo!

Still waiting to hear back on the rest of the applications...(and financial aid/scholarships, too, of course)

• Like 23

My oldest was homeschooled K-9 and then went to private school for 10 - 12.  

He has been accepted to Cedarville University and to Centre College (both with scholarships).  We are still waiting to hear from one more - probably mid February.  

• Like 24

Since we're also doing grad school acceptances, I'll add mine.

My ds, who graduated last year with a BS in chemistry, has been accepted to a graduate program at the London School of Economics to study finance and accounting.

• Like 30

My ds, who graduated last year with a BS in chemistry, has been accepted to a graduate program at the London School of Economics to study finance and accounting.

Super fantastic!!!!! Many congrats to all!!!

I have a friend who attended the LSE before going to Harvard Law. He's now a federal judge.

Edited by Hoggirl
  • Like 4

That is seriously impressive! Well done your DS! Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 5

The postgraduate diploma? I did that! Great program, very exciting!

• Like 1

Dd was selected as a Top Scholar at USCarolina. She will be attending their Top Scholar weekend the end of Feb. During the weekend they are interviewed and either receive a Stamps, McNair, or Horseshoe Scholarship. Since they can be stacked on top of the NMF scholarship, this is essentially a guaranteed close to full ride. :) Super excited and happy here. USC was unaffordable for us wo her being on of the few selected as a Top Scholar.

• Like 38

Dd was selected as a Top Scholar at USCarolina. She will be attending their Top Scholar weekend the end of Feb. During the weekend they are interviewed and either receive a Stamps, McNair, or Horseshoe Scholarship. Since they can be stacked on top of the NMF scholarship, this is essentially a guaranteed close to full ride. :) Super excited and happy here. USC was unaffordable for us wo her being on of the few selected as a Top Scholar.

They have French, Russian, Linguistics and International Business! How exciting! Congratulations!

• Like 9

They have French, Russian, Linguistics and International Business! How exciting! Congratulations!

Yes!!! They also have a specialized French IB program called the CIFA cohort. She is in the middle of that application right now. So for that, we wait and see. That program is exciting bc their jr yr is spent at a French university in their actual degree program with all classes taught in French alongside their French counterparts.

Super, super happy. This was her absolute dream option, but the odds were so slim that she didn't dare hope for it.

• Like 26

Yes!!! They also have a specialized French IB program called the CIFA cohort. She is in the middle of that application right now. So for that, we wait and see. That program is exciting bc their jr yr is spent at a French university in their actual degree program with all classes taught in French alongside their French counterparts.

Super, super happy. This was her absolute dream option, but the odds were so slim that she didn't dare hope for it.

Wow. That CIFA program looks amazing. Paris Dauphine is a great school. Keep us posted. So excited for her!

• Like 6