Menu

What's with the ads?

The Girls' Mom

The 2017 Acceptance Thread

Does it always work this way when you apply early?

With rolling admission schools, often.  This is why many can be good safeties (as long as one can afford them).  One knows about admission early.

With regular admission schools, rarely - usually when one has some sort of big hook and that tends to generate a "likely" letter rather than an outright admission.  Most of these schools have either a date when they release all decisions or waves of decisions after a certain date.

• Like 4

Second acceptance, University of Northern Colorado.  Wow, I didn't think we would get these so fast!  Does it always work this way when you apply early?

Congrats!!!

DS sent his in mid Nov for UCs. We have to wait almost 4 months to hear back! :glare:

• Like 3

Dd had been accepted to Salisbury (MD), New Haven ((CT), and Trent (ON).

Her original plan was to only apply to 4 schools in Canada but she had a bit of a freak out in late Sept and spent an afternoon applying to 5 schools in the US on the east coast, just in case;)

• Like 20

DD got 3 acceptance letters this week;

Drake University + Presidential Scholarship

Benedictine College - Competitive scholarship Save the Date arrive prior to acceptance letter . :001_smile:

St. Edwards University + President's Excellence and Edwardian Scholarships

She has one more application to hear back on and is about ready to submit to the selective schools with the January deadlines. The current acceptances give her great safety options but she really wants to get into a selective school. April 1 will be a big day for us.

Yay for St. Edward's.  That is my alma mater.  I loved my time there. 

• Like 3

I love this thread too!  I have been unable to access this site for awhile - for some reason my computer wouldn't load the page correctly & nothing I did worked.

Anyway, my second dd was accepted to UMKC, U Iowa, and Western Michigan - all with decent merit scholarships.  

Congratulations to everyone who has posted so far!  

(And I am so happy that I have found my way back here!!)

• Like 24

Is anyone compiling a list? :D

I started the list thread. I did an initial compilation from the announcements made on this thread. 

I know Faithmanor did it last year or the year before; I can't remember which. I have the time so I thought I would volunteer.

:001_cool:

• Like 8

I started the list thread. I did an initial compilation from the announcements made on this thread. 

I know Faithmanor did it last year or the year before; I can't remember which. I have the time so I thought I would volunteer.

Thank you Scoutermom! :001_wub: Big puffy heart love these acceptance/ admittance/ decisions threads at this time of the year.

• Like 2

ED? So he's all done then? Congratulations!

Yes!  He's all done!  Although, package came with all of the instructions for enrolling in orientation, etc.  He was a bit overwhelmed when he realized that "all done" really means "just getting started." 

• Like 18

Yes! He's all done! Although, package came with all of the instructions for enrolling in orientation, etc. He was a bit overwhelmed when he realized that "all done" really means "just getting started."

Omigosh yes! The number of hoops to jump through to get financial aid finalized, deposited, enrolled, signed up for roommate match and housing, registered for classes, etc -- while doing two spring recitals, DE finals, and other senior year "stuff" really shocked us last year.

Word to those who haven't decided yet: there's another 2 or 3 applications worth of work AFTER you're accepted!

• Like 4

Honorary DD got into Kalamazoo College. This was a reach for her.

With her other two solid financial safeties, and being excited about Alma College which is a better fit for her, I think she won't likely bother to find out about her other reach. She should have heard by now and hasn't, but isn't going out of her way to find out why. I have done my gentle motherly, mentoring prodding, and it hasn't taken with her. She may be scared that she was rejected and didn't get the letter or something and emotionally not knowing might be her crutch. That's fine. I am not going to push her. She has three great options, two of which will come through financially...not certain about Kalamazoo. The other two are good fit choices for her, and we never thought that the last reach was a good school for her at all. So, snicker snicker, maybe my not prodding any more is internally motivated by knowing that an acceptance might not be in her best interests. Her grandparents are willing to make her dorm deposit for her, so it did occur to me that if she were to accept one of the other two, make the non-refundable dorm deposit, and begin settling into being a Scot (Alma College is a Scottish Presbyterian school) or a Wolverine, then if she were to pursue finding out about the other and it was an acceptance, she would already be emotionally vested in her school of choice making it less likely that she would choose that last one which would probably be a bit of a disaster for her.

That said, I love her dearly, but she has issues and isn't my child. I am trying to turn some of this over now to the grandparents who are stepping up to the plate. I think they all need each other very much, and though I have a lot vested in this young adult, the reality is like any good mentor, I kind of need to fade out and transition her. She will always be our DD at heart, and she will always have a place when she needs us, but it is time for her to spread her wings, and emotionally, I think her grandparents are just the ticket to help her do that successfully while we just do some back door cheer leading, and provide back up when needed, take her to lunch, be a sounding board.

This is our last couch surfer. A couple of years ago, after a disaster with one of our "adoptees" that really hit us all emotionally, we had said we wouldn't have anymore, and then she came along, and well, we melted. LOL. So much for resolve! I am so happy we caved though because it has been an honor to help her, and we are a better family for having done it.

Still, I feel like my emotional energy for continuing the practice is coming to an end. The well is about dry. With my parents nightmare, ds moving back home and commuting again, taking online courses while we sort out his leg issues (possible arthritis already at age 20) and try to find him physical help, I think we simply need to be okay with closing our "youth hostel" dorm parent lifestyle.

Over the years, we've informally fostered and mentored five late teens/early adults, temporarily couched surfed a few more through temporary issues, and gotten three of our five full time mentored kids into college, launched them into life. One of our five ended in tragedy which nearly took us down, me in particular. Time to retire. I love my additional five kids, two of whom - the dd's - will likely always be a part of our lives in some way so we have much to look forward to with them.

We move her to the dorms, and then I'm down to our last son. 2018...one more first time dorm move. 2017 my last college application year.

Where has the time gone?????  :crying:

• Like 24

Hugs to you, FaithManor. Of course it's bittersweet, but your time and effort will be needed elsewhere. Take care of yourself while you take care of others, it sounds like a lot on your plate.

• Like 1

is the initial compilation here or in another thread? can't find it  :willy_nilly:

FaithManor, Congrats to your hdd! I hope she makes a wise choice and the finances work out for her. Funny how one moves from being mainly a daughter to mainly a mother and then back to mainly a daughter again. I'm at the daughter stage myself. Fortunately, my extra ones are fairly well settled now and no new ones are on the horizon. It is ok to want to do a good job with who you have and not be torn. Young adults are so heartbreaking and the only way to help some of them is to really parent them and that takes time and energy and resources and lays you wide open... There is a limit to how many times you can do that, as you said. I think we are about done, too. Here's to maintaining what we've got, hunh?

Hugs,

Nan

• Like 5

FaithManor, Congrats to your hdd! I hope she makes a wise choice and the finances work out for her. Funny how one moves from being mainly a daughter to mainly a mother and then back to mainly a daughter again. I'm at the daughter stage myself. Fortunately, my extra ones are fairly well settled now and no new ones are on the horizon. It is ok to want to do a good job with who you have and not be torn. Young adults are so heartbreaking and the only way to help some of them is to really parent them and that takes time and energy and resources and lays you wide open... There is a limit to how many times you can do that, as you said. I think we are about done, too. Here's to maintaining what we've got, hunh?

Hugs,

Nan

Spot on, Nan! Spot on.

And due to my love of all things teen/young adult and education, I do not see myself entirely retiring from it, just taking on a limited role. I have come to the place where I know the couch surfing, quasi partial adoption thing needs to come to an end. But so far I still love the mentoring I get to do through 4H so will continue to make some difference for kids that way. I just got home from a long student launch meeting, and I love what I am doing so I hope to do this part for a long time yet.

• Like 3

First acceptance is in- Trinity University for ds. Some automatic merit aid with a possibility of more through competitive scholarship.

So happy to get this first yes.

• Like 30

My son received great news tonight - he will be heading to Williams College next fall.

Wow! Fantastic news!

• Like 2

Yes, fantastic news!!!  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  So happy for you Sebastian and snowbeltmom!

• Like 1

First acceptance is in- Trinity University for ds. Some automatic merit aid with a possibility of more through competitive scholarship.

So happy to get this first yes.

Dd already filled out her top 5 choices and confirmed I will attending with her. Are you traveling with your ds? I'd love to meet you!

• Like 2

Dd already filled out her top 5 choices and confirmed I will attending with her. Are you traveling with your ds? I'd love to meet you!

I'm not sure what you are referring to? Is this for the scholarship competition at Trinity?

Spot on, Nan! Spot on.

And due to my love of all things teen/young adult and education, I do not see myself entirely retiring from it, just taking on a limited role. I have come to the place where I know the couch surfing, quasi partial adoption thing needs to come to an end. But so far I still love the mentoring I get to do through 4H so will continue to make some difference for kids that way. I just got home from a long student launch meeting, and I love what I am doing so I hope to do this part for a long time yet.

I tutored someone in C yesterday, so I guess I am still teaching things I only sort of know. I hate to think how long it has been since I worked in C!

Nan

• Like 2

I'm not sure what you are referring to? Is this for the scholarship competition at Trinity?

Yes. :) Dd was also named a Murchison and invited to the Tower weekend.

ETA: Has your ds registered yet? When Dd read the letter she went on and registered right away bc there were topics she absolutely did not get stuck in and they said first come, first serve.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart
  • Like 5

My son received great news tonight - he will be heading to Williams College next fall.  

Congrats! My DD is in her first year there. 

• Like 6

FaithManor, you have done great things for those young people! What a blessing you are, making a difference in your corner of the world.

Congratulations to all...lots of good news here!

• Like 1

A huge congratulations to everyone who has posted so far and big hugs to those still waiting for that first acceptance!!!!

{SO glad I have 2 years until it's our turn again! It's much more enjoyable reading these posts from *this* side of things! :D }

• Like 4

DD found out today that she passed her pre-screening for IU Jacob's School of Music and will be auditioning at the school in February. This is the first music school that has gotten back to her and she is so excited. 

DS found out this week that he has been accepted to the University of Oklahoma for Meteorology and to Loyola Marymount University for Film Production. He now has 2 acceptances for meteorology and is waiting to hear on one more. He is also waiting on some schools he applied to for film. Then he will have to decide which major he wants to go into. He is very undecided at this point. 

• Like 23

Great news, Jilly! We were at IU this weekend (she had scholarship interviews). I was so impressed with all the facilities and everyone we met.

• Like 4

That's good to hear Luckymama. We toured the music school in September and we were impressed, but we didn't have much time to tour the rest of the school. Right now IU is her first choice. 

• Like 2

My daughter just got her acceptance letter from Dickinson College!

She'll be pretty darn close to my neck of the woods if she attends there (within an hour).  ;)

Very cool, Margaret!  If he goes, does he want to do deck or engine?  Or something else?

Nan

What she really wants is cyber security, which she really can't do there. So, the decision will be: cyber or the possibility of flying. 

• Like 1

Thank you all for posting to this thread.  This is such an inspiration.  Congratulations to all your seniors!  

• Like 4

DD got her safety acceptance from Univ of Colorado at Colo Springs.

At all three of DD's schools, you have to have an acceptance before starting the scholarship apps.  That's our next step, and will really decide which of the schools she goes to. She qualifies for some automatic at each of the schools, but anything extra is what will sway the deal.  She can go to UCCS and live at home with no debt.  She would *like* to go to either Univ of Northern Colo, or Colo State University Fort Collins.  But she wants to be a teacher, so little to no debt is the rule. Wish us luck!  (um, her - I mean wish her luck!)

Edited by goldberry
  • Like 24

I just want to comment about DD's reactions to all this.  She was SO PLEASED that she was accepted to all these schools. I asked her why, did she really think she might not get accepted somewhere?  And she said, you know mom, not everybody can go to college.  But I can.  I worked all these years, and colleges actually want me to go there.  I said, well, you can see the connection between all that work and getting the result from it now.  So when you get sick and tired of college, just hang in there and you will see the results when it's over and you have a job you enjoy!

This may sound like a normal convo to some of you other parents... but this kid was the most unacademic and unmotivated kid around until just a few years ago really.  I remember her saying in 9th grade that 2 years for community college was too long.  It made me so happy to see her be proud of herself for making it this far.  And all of our kiddos should be!  It's an accomplishment!  

• Like 23

DS was accepted early decision at TCU (Texas Christian University)

That was where I wanted to go! I wanted to major in journalism!. Instead I got married. Still goin' strong after 30 years though, so I can't complain!  :blush:

• Like 2

Dc was accepted to #1 choice today!   I think I'm more excited than dc, who is pleased but is suddenly dealing with imposter syndrome right now.  *Sigh*  I know I felt the same way when I was young, though, so I'm going to overlook it and rejoice for both of us.    :party:

• Like 23