Menu

What's with the ads?

The Girls' Mom

The 2017 Acceptance Thread

Creekland, my niece tried to get into an MSTP. she ended up just getting the MD. She's half way through residency. It looks like she'll still be getting into research as she planned. She happy with the direction she took. It all works out in the end.

My son took a class for high school students at our state medical school his junior year and then did research there during the summer. One of the first things they emphasized in the class was that you did not have to have a PhD to be a researcher. Many of the researchers who presented during the class and hosted students in their labs were only MDs. While I'm sure there are many MSTP grads out there who loved their experience, all the ones my son met said they would only get an MD if doing it all over again. He also met several PhDs who regretted not getting an MD instead, and some were still considering medical school.

Your son is so talented that I'm sure he will end up with many amazing choices by the end of the process, but even if it's only medical school, he will still have plenty of research opportunities.

• Like 5

Dd has two acceptances now: University of Mississippi and Indiana University-Bloomington. We'll be waiting for many months to learn about acceptance to special programs (incl. Honors) and the all-important scholarships.

• Like 32

We have two acceptances. One for my daughter to Indiana University and one for my son to Valparaiso University. We have no info on scholarships to IU yet but my son recieved the Board of Directors scholarship for Valparaiso.

• Like 30

Honorary dd received her acceptance from Alma College.

She is pretty happy, and received $22,000 in scholarships up front. It is a $44,000 a year school, but due to her biological parents' situation will receive Michigan Competitive Tuition Grant, and assistance from having been in Foster Care for a time. There may also be a $1500.00 scholarship from a local business group, and though she has had very little to do with her maternal grandparents due to her parent' cult dealings, they have recently come back into her life and have decided to help her financially. She may still need the stafford loan, but really, this is not outside the realm of possibility for her!

I personally love the school, and again, a small one with a great reputation, and excellent support...for her emotional needs, I think it would be an awesome fit for her. She will only be 2 hrs. from us, but i know she feels like that is a lot as we provide a lot of cheer leading for her. She could easily go to crappy state u down the road for free, but it is an AWFUL place, cruddy excuse for an education, and will be a dog eat dog world in a pea soup of staff that don't give a care. We talked her out of even applying. 

At any rate, two acceptances and both of them decent fit, and financially acceptable. She has a couple of reaches still out, and that's it. Even if she gets into the reaches, I am not confident that the money would work out.

Secretly voting for Alma, fingers crossed, because I think she will really blossom.

And honorary daughter that graduated high school the same year as DD, and then crammed four years of college into three in order to save money, got a promotion at work, and then bought a house. It's a great house! We are sooooo super proud of her.

• Like 34

I've been avoiding this thread for several weeks.  I just had to wait until ds had some of his applications actually out the door.  

I am so excited for all of the good news here.  They sound like wonderful opportunities out there for these young people.  

Congratulations and best wishes for everyone.

• Like 6

DD got 3 acceptance letters this week;

Drake University + Presidential Scholarship

Benedictine College - Competitive scholarship Save the Date arrive prior to acceptance letter . :001_smile:

St. Edwards University + President's Excellence and Edwardian Scholarships

She has one more application to hear back on and is about ready to submit to the selective schools with the January deadlines. The current acceptances give her great safety options but she really wants to get into a selective school. April 1 will be a big day for us.

• Like 28

Just adding a little more about MSTP & MD/PhD with stats one school gave middle son (at his interview).

250 students applied

70 were selected for an interview

8 slots are available

This would be why we do a little bit of  :party: just due to his getting selected for an interview.  He's at an interview with another school now.  I'm wondering if they have similar stats...

• Like 21

Well, they did trounce Adams State last weekend... 

We were outside part of the time this past weekend at my class (we were right by Blaster) and got to hear the band practice and then come back, in their flannels. 

• Like 1

Well, they did trounce Adams State last weekend... 

We were outside part of the time this past weekend at my class (we were right by Blaster) and got to hear the band practice and then come back, in their flannels. 

Your class?  Tell me more.

Basketball season starts on Friday...

Edited by Sue in St Pete

It's through the Teacher Enhancement Program. I've taken lots from a husband and wife team at Eco Adventures. She does the science ones, and he does the history ones. If you sit like a lump, you get a B, and if you share something, you get an A. I've been amazed that last few times that no one else has bothered. This one was on bighorn sheep and mountain goats, but we missed the bighorn rut by a week. I shared activities that I've used with my Scouts for the Mammal Study merit badge. 

I've taken one on wild felines: mountain lions and bobcats. We toured the tiger sanctuary. The one last month was on life in Colonial times, and timed to coincide with a reenactment. For the feline one, I made everyone plaster casts of tracks, and for the Colonial one, I shared a pattern made from rectangles for period-correct shirts that I was making for the high school play. For the CO history one, I taught everyone to spin and handed out various fleeces. 

I'd like to take the moose one next, but these two finish my 6 credits for this round of renewing my teaching license. 

Hope basketball goes well. 

• Like 3

(Edited to remove details)

Dd just learned she's a finalist for a full-ride scholarship!

Edited by Luckymama
  • Like 37

For Mines folks: dd's scholarship offer came in the mail. And it's sitting there and I can't open it as dd is not home! ARG!  :lol:

Does steaming envelopes open still work with modern adhesives?  :sneaky2:

:toetap05:

• Like 7

Alas, it wasn't scholarship info, but just residence info. Bummer!

I remember ds's scholarship info coming in January.  I was excited it came so early.

ETA:  Just looked it up.  The letter was dated Dec 20th.

Edited by Sue in St Pete
  • Like 1

Thanks. The other kids got theirs earlier. Navy girl actually got hers 2 hours after Mines called and told her to apply. I still don't know WHY she applied--she never wanted to go!  :laugh:   The most that dd will get is Golden Scholars. 

Not quite the same, but DD11 got accepted to the community college! She is too young/not at the right grade level for DE, but after talking to folks there, they suggested she apply as a non-traditional student. Based on her ACT and placement scores, they admitted her, and she also qualifies for their honors program :).

We plan to leave her registered as homeschooled and just use CC classes for some subject areas until she feels ready to graduate "for real", but she is pretty happy. Especially since the specialty jr/sr high school/DE program she was applying to turned her down for their middle school program!

• Like 34

DS has been accepted by UNC-Greensboro with an invitation to apply to their honors college (which I don't believe he's interested in doing).

• Like 32

DS got accepted to St. Louis University.

I am so happy for you and him! Especially since I know from responses on another thread that you had wondered about whether you were behind with applications. I am also so pleasantly surprised that they responded so quickly. What a relief it must be. I hope more acceptances pour in too.

• Like 3

Is this the school you mentioned that would make continuing to train ideal? I know that's important to him. I'm hoping whatever school that is works out for him!

Thanks - yes, it is. He is currently driving to St. Louis 2-3 times a week to train. That is 200 miles each round trip, a lot of time and gas.

• Like 6

I am so happy for you and him! Especially since I know from responses on another thread that you had wondered about whether you were behind with applications. I am also so pleasantly surprised that they responded so quickly. What a relief it must be. I hope more acceptances pour in too.

Thanks! They do rolling admissions, with priority deadline December 1. He had seen on the application portal that a decision had been made and that he would be notified, and then it took almost a week for the email to come. 

• Like 3

Ds is admitted to UGA, his only application. We had wanted him to live at home for a year or two and attend the local U in order to save $ as dh is quickly coming up on retirement. But now he wants to attend UGA next year as a freshman. Arghh

• Like 20

Congrats!  SLU is on dd's list to apply to next year.  I think I missed something.  What does your ds train for? 

Judo

Just a heads-up re SLU: I had written about this in an earlier post: they say on their website: "To be considered for admission, you must be graduating from an accredited high school, have an acceptable HiSET exam score or take the General Education Development (GED) test."

We had contacted the admissions counselor and received the answer that "many homeschoolers find this wording confusing" and that they of course accept homeschool transcripts. (Why they still have this on their website if it is "confusing", I don't know)

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 4

Judo

Just a heads-up re SLU: I had written about this in an earlier post: they say on their website: "To be considered for admission, you must be graduating from an accredited high school, have an acceptable HiSET exam score or take the General Education Development (GED) test."

We had contacted the admissions counselor and received the answer that "many homeschoolers find this wording confusing" and that they of course accept homeschool transcripts. (Why they still have this on their website if it is "confusing", I don't know)

Good to have that confirmation.  We had seen that on their website and nearly wrote them off (we actually did for my older kids, partially for that reason.)  However, dd had attended the graduation of one of her cousins at that school, fell in love with the school, and it has been on her list ever since.  Since she attends the local public high school part-time, she went to a presentation by a SLU adcom when he visited her school.  She about that and they told her the same thing.  I really do wish they would change the website. 

• Like 2

Not quite the same, but DD11 got accepted to the community college! She is too young/not at the right grade level for DE, but after talking to folks there, they suggested she apply as a non-traditional student. Based on her ACT and placement scores, they admitted her, and she also qualifies for their honors program :).

We plan to leave her registered as homeschooled and just use CC classes for some subject areas until she feels ready to graduate "for real", but she is pretty happy. Especially since the specialty jr/sr high school/DE program she was applying to turned her down for their middle school program!

This definitely belongs in this thread!! Congrats!

Nan

• Like 1

DS has been accepted by UNC-Greensboro with an invitation to apply to their honors college (which I don't believe he's interested in doing).

Congrats to your ds and you.
  • Like 1

Ds is working on transfer applications. So far he has been accepted at K-State and University of Kansas

Congrats! I have a nephew who is loving KU and my sister lives in Manhattan, KS.

• Like 2

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

DD got accepted to Colorado State Univ at Fort Collins.  It's not uber competitive, but she got the email 3 days after turning in her app, which was a surprise.  She forwarded me the email thinking it was just the usual.  I said, "Um, did you read that email?  It says you've been accepted and the acceptance package is coming in the mail.."  She freaked out then!  We didn't expect anything that fast.  Waiting on dollar amount though...

• Like 31

Also, congrats to you School of Mines folks!  That is an awesome school with great employment possibilities.  Didn't fit what DD wants though..

• Like 5

DD got accepted to Colorado State Univ at Fort Collins

My niece is a senior there.  She loves it.  We visited Fort Collins years ago.  What a wonderful town.  I am a warm weather person, but if I could afford it, I could be persuaded to live in Fort Collins.  Expensive there, though.  :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Sue in St Pete
  • Like 5

My niece is a senior there.  She loves it.  We visited Fort Collins years ago.  What a wonderful town.  I am a warm weather person, but if I could afford it, I could be persuaded to live in Fort Collins.  Expensive there, though.  :tongue_smilie:

Yes.  And Colorado schools are stingy I think, unless you have financial need.  I hope to be proven wrong!  DD's stats could get full tuition at quite a few out of state colleges.  

• Like 1

#2 Son -- University of Indianapolis, Honors College with a really good merit scholarship

-- Passed the first hurdle to getting accepted into the union Plumbers/Steamfitters Apprenticeship, scheduled for interview

Bonus tutored student -- just completed Basic Training in the Air National Guard

-- accepted to a respected Christian university, with scholarship, will be attending next fall!

(keeping details vague for tutored student, but for those who remember the back story, there's your update :) )

• Like 27

My daugther got acceptance letters to Georgia College and University of Alabama. 

She wants to go to Georgia College!!

• Like 24

Second acceptance, University of Northern Colorado.  Wow, I didn't think we would get these so fast!  Does it always work this way when you apply early?

• Like 21