Menu

What's with the ads?

The Girls' Mom

The 2017 Acceptance Thread

8 that was good advice. We have AO that DD1 has developed a personal rapport with. I could see DD2 being interested in this school particularly if DD1 doesn't select it.

• Like 1

Its been a journey.  

right now, it looks as if she is Berkeley bound.  

wait listed at stanford (so sad - she has wanted to go since she was 4),

accepted at Cornell, UPenn, and Wellesley (but not at Harvard, Princeton, Yale)

accepted at UC Berkeley College of Chemistry, UC Davis, UC Santa Cruz, UCLA, UC San Diego.... but for some reason, not accepted at UC Santa Barbara.

accepted at Cal States for Music, for Chemistry, etc, etc.

hoping she loves berkeley on cal day!

ann

• Like 25

We received wonderful news last night! Dd has been named a 1693 Scholar at William & Mary!! Full tuition, fees, room, board, $5000 research stipend, fund for lunch with professors, etc.! :party:

• Like 35

We received wonderful news last night! Dd has been named a 1693 Scholar at William & Mary!! Full tuition, fees, room, board, $5000 research stipend, fund for lunch with professors, etc.! :party:

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:   Congratulations!! That is fabulous!!

• Like 3

Awesome, awesome, awesome  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

• Like 2

Basically they are saying they want your dd so badly, they are paying her to attend!  Good for her!   :hurray:

• Like 6

Grace received her call today from OSU offering her the OSU Eminence Fellowship.  Full COA with a phenomenal group of high stat students (25 out of about 8000 students) with a philanthropic bent!!!! All expenses paid.  Last fall, she said she wanted either this or Vandy scholarship.  We feel so blessed and humbled that she has been offered both. We are still processing it.  

I just want to thank all of you veteran homeschool moms on the boards whose advice I have read and benefited from.  I am so grateful for all of you.  Kathy in Richmond, in particular, you have been so kind and encouraging to me for years!!!!  You inspire me! 8Fill, you are amazing!  JeaninNewcastle, Creekland, Nan in Mass, I have read your posts, and you are nothing short of amazing. This board just has an amazing group of amazing homeschooling parents. I just feel so grateful for everything coming together and for the advice I have read on the boards.  With Grace being my first, you just never know if what you did was the right thing. 

Thank you so much to all of you amazing moms.  You are all part of the success our kids enjoy as we learn from your experience and wisdom! I am so grateful for these boards and for all of you who care enough to impart your wisdom to those of us who follow in your wake.

• Like 27

Whoa, Elise, that is terrific!!

And, Gratia, congrats to your daughter as well! Will look forward to hearing her final decision.

Edited by Gr8lander
  • Like 3

Congrats to Gratia and Elise and your daughters! :hurray: :hurray: :party: !!!  So many reasons to celebrate today!!

Elise, how amazing to win a full ride to William & Mary! I'm in VA, and I've never, ever heard of that happening!!

Gratia, I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes for Grace! I'm so, so very happy (but not at all surprised) that she won the Eminence Fellowship!!

• Like 10

Grace received her call today from OSU offering her the OSU Eminence Fellowship.  Full COA with a phenomenal group of high stat students (25 out of about 8000 students) with a philanthropic bent!!!! All expenses paid.  Last fall, she said she wanted either this or Vandy scholarship.  We feel so blessed and humbled that she has been offered both. We are still processing it.  

:party:

• Like 1

• Like 2

Gratia, I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes for Grace! I'm so, so very happy (but not at all surprised) that she won the Eminence Fellowship!!

Thanks so much, Kathy! You have been such a wonderful support and encouragement to me! You are such a pivotal part of Grace's story in getting here in kindly advising me (who knew very little). I thank God for you! :)

• Like 5

Over the last couple of days:

Declined by University of Chicago and Washington University in St Louis

Accepted by University of Washington and College of the Holy Cross.

I woke up today with much on my mind and one of those items was this post.  I wanted to say thank you to Sebastian for sharing this, for those who haven't gone through the admissions process yet this is actually a huge statement and one that should help you frame how you look at the outcome of various applications.

I've never been a fan of the word "reject" as being the automatic opposite of "accept".  I think, as Sebastian put it, "decline" is more accurate in many cases.  So much of the emotional burden of senior year hinges on those infamous thin and thick envelopes and it is important to remember that not receiving an acceptance letter does not equal being rejected by or deemed unworthy of a particular institution.  There isn't always a way to determine what the decision was based upon but in no way should a student allow those letters to taint their acceptances or make them feel unworthy of all the good news they have received.

I had a lot of applause in my head for this post this morning with all those other things on my mind.  Homeschooled kids aren't perfect.  Among all the wonderful acceptances to schools and names of scholarships won listed here, there are some less exciting results happening behind the scenes.  WTM Board kids will get both thin and thick envelopes every year and when researching homeschooling high school and what the outcomes might be I'd hate to have anyone think that our college bound kids are all only receiving positive news.  

This is a brave post, one that my own kids would probably beg me never to write-a request I would of course honor, but a post that while subtle in its wording is full of an important reminder for parent educators of soon to be seniors.  Homeschoolers are admitted to great schools every year, nationally ranked schools and small local schools, schools carefully chosen by that student and their family at which they will receive an education and wonderful life experience.  Homeschoolers also have admissions departments around the country narrowing their options for them by declining admission.  We are not immune to that experience. 

Thank you!  It is a healthy reminder that is full of realism.

Edited by JumpedIntoTheDeepEndFirst
  • Like 18

I woke up today with much on my mind and one of those items was this post.  I wanted to say thank you to Sebastian for sharing this, for those who haven't gone through the admissions process yet this is actually a huge statement and one that should help you frame how you look at the outcome of various applications.

I've never been a fan of the word "reject" as being the automatic opposite of "accept".  I think, as Sebastian put it, "decline" is more accurate in many cases.  So much of the emotional burden of senior year hinges on those infamous thin and thick envelopes and it is important to remember that not receiving an acceptance letter does not equal being rejected by or deemed unworthy of a particular institution.  There isn't always a way to determine what the decision was based upon but in no way should a student allow those letters to taint their acceptances or make them feel unworthy of all the good news they have received.

I had a lot of applause in my head for this post this morning with all those other things on my mind.  Homeschooled kids aren't perfect.  Among all the wonderful acceptances to schools and names of scholarships won listed here, there are some less exciting results happening behind the scenes.  WTM Board kids will get both thin and thick envelopes every year and when researching homeschooling high school and what the outcomes might be I'd hate to have anyone think that our college bound kids are all only receiving positive news.  

This is a brave post, one that my own kids would probably beg me never to write-a request I would of course honor, but a post that while subtle in its wording is full of an important reminder for parent educators of soon to be seniors.  Homeschoolers are admitted to great schools every year, nationally ranked schools and small local schools, schools carefully chosen by that student and their family at which they will receive an education and wonderful life experience.  Homeschoolers also have admissions departments around the country narrowing their options for them by declining admission.  We are not immune to that experience. 

Thank you!  It is a healthy reminder that is full of realism.

Thanks for those thoughts.  I wanted to include the schools that had turned him down, because sometimes it is so crushing to get the turn down letter.  Fortunately for my son, neither WU nor UChicago were schools that he'd pinned much hope on.  On the other hand, the turn down from the Naval Academy and the radio silence from Navy ROTC have stung a bit more.  

I will admit to some petty inner voice monologues where I ask what exactly some of the admissions offices were looking for.  The whole process is quite a wringer for both kid and parent.  I think it is especially wearing on the main homeschool teacher, who is typically the mom.  Not only do you have all of the standard anxiety associate with college applications, but also you have strangers judging the worth of your kid based on the value of the homeschool education you provided and the counselor documentation you sent in.  It reminds me of when my kids were younger and I hated to watch Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader with them.  Every question they got wrong seemed freighted with a failure on my part.  What do you mean, you don't know the elements in water or that a frog isn't a reptile?  Ack, that must be my fault.  

Hang in there everyone.  Your college sweatshirt does not dictate your value as a person.  Not having a college sweatshirt does not mean you are less worthy as a citizen, neighbor or friend.  My college bound senior has as a major role model one of young guys who helps with youth group.  He is a journeyman sheet metal worker, with numerous clever side gigs.  My son is constantly in awe of how this young man is a big brother to everyone in the group and is so capable.  They were doing a work day at Fisher House a few months back and the swing set there was broken.  Our friend pulled his welding equipment out of his car and fixed it in about 15 minutes.  That really impressed my son.

• Like 23

Thanks for those thoughts. I wanted to include the schools that had turned him down, because sometimes it is so crushing to get the turn down letter. Fortunately for my son, neither WU nor UChicago were schools that he'd pinned much hope on. On the other hand, the turn down from the Naval Academy and the radio silence from Navy ROTC have stung a bit more.

I will admit to some petty inner voice monologues where I ask what exactly some of the admissions offices were looking for. The whole process is quite a wringer for both kid and parent. I think it is especially wearing on the main homeschool teacher, who is typically the mom. Not only do you have all of the standard anxiety associate with college applications, but also you have strangers judging the worth of your kid based on the value of the homeschool education you provided and the counselor documentation you sent in. It reminds me of when my kids were younger and I hated to watch Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader with them. Every question they got wrong seemed freighted with a failure on my part. What do you mean, you don't know the elements in water or that a frog isn't a reptile? Ack, that must be my fault.

Hang in there everyone. Your college sweatshirt does not dictate your value as a person. Not having a college sweatshirt does not mean you are less worthy as a citizen, neighbor or friend. My college bound senior has as a major role model one of young guys who helps with youth group. He is a journeyman sheet metal worker, with numerous clever side gigs. My son is constantly in awe of how this young man is a big brother to everyone in the group and is so capable. They were doing a work day at Fisher House a few months back and the swing set there was broken. Our friend pulled his welding equipment out of his car and fixed it in about 15 minutes. That really impressed my son.

What a wonderful post, Sebastian. Sending both you and your ds supportive thoughts for the harder outcomes. I think you already know based on his acceptances that you did everything right. It is all part of the building a class and what they are looking for mojo that is not under your control.

Sorry for the ROTC silence. I imagine that is extremely hard for your ds.

• Like 3

Thanks for those thoughts.  I wanted to include the schools that had turned him down, because sometimes it is so crushing to get the turn down letter.  Fortunately for my son, neither WU nor UChicago were schools that he'd pinned much hope on.  On the other hand, the turn down from the Naval Academy and the radio silence from Navy ROTC have stung a bit more.  

I will admit to some petty inner voice monologues where I ask what exactly some of the admissions offices were looking for.  The whole process is quite a wringer for both kid and parent.  I think it is especially wearing on the main homeschool teacher, who is typically the mom.  Not only do you have all of the standard anxiety associate with college applications, but also you have strangers judging the worth of your kid based on the value of the homeschool education you provided and the counselor documentation you sent in. 

For what it is worth, my daughter greatly enjoyed meeting your son in Boston.  She said the greatest thing about him was not his AMAZING academics but that he was such a nice guy.  That is such a rare combination.  I just wanted you to know how impressed other people are with him, not just for his incredible mind but for the quality person he is! We both really hope for the best for you both and will keep you in our thoughts.

• Like 6

For what it is worth, my daughter greatly enjoyed meeting your son in Boston.  She said the greatest thing about him was not his AMAZING academics but that he was such a nice guy.  That is such a rare combination.  I just wanted you to know how impressed other people are with him, not just for his incredible mind but for the quality person he is! We both really hope for the best for you both and will keep you in our thoughts.

Aw shucks.

He was really delighted to meet your daughter too.  He said she was a way better Latin student than he was.  I thought it was cool that two kids from the same online course were there at the same weekend.  

• Like 5

Sebastian, wonderful posts. Your son is a perfect example of how unpredictable this process can be. A "yes" from Stanford and a "no" from the Naval Academy and ROTC...just odd how this goes. How could you possibly have predicted where the acceptances and rejections would come from?

We've got examples like that in my last daughter's college app journey too.

• Like 3

I will admit to some petty inner voice monologues where I ask what exactly some of the admissions offices were looking for.  The whole process is quite a wringer for both kid and parent.  I think it is especially wearing on the main homeschool teacher, who is typically the mom.  Not only do you have all of the standard anxiety associate with college applications, but also you have strangers judging the worth of your kid based on the value of the homeschool education you provided and the counselor documentation you sent in.  It reminds me of when my kids were younger and I hated to watch Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader with them.  Every question they got wrong seemed freighted with a failure on my part.  What do you mean, you don't know the elements in water or that a frog isn't a reptile?  Ack, that must be my fault.  

Hang in there everyone.  Your college sweatshirt does not dictate your value as a person.  Not having a college sweatshirt does not mean you are less worthy as a citizen, neighbor or friend.  My college bound senior has as a major role model one of young guys who helps with youth group.  He is a journeyman sheet metal worker, with numerous clever side gigs.  My son is constantly in awe of how this young man is a big brother to everyone in the group and is so capable.  They were doing a work day at Fisher House a few months back and the swing set there was broken.  Our friend pulled his welding equipment out of his car and fixed it in about 15 minutes.  That really impressed my son.

Beautifully stated. Last years' college-search has made me especially enjoy this year of reprieve. DD2 will be a junior next year, so we'll be back on that emotional roller coaster once again (test prep, college search, etc). If I think about it too long, I am honestly terrified. All that self-doubt, anxiety, worry... ugh. I do not look forward to that again.

• Like 2

Aw shucks.

He was really delighted to meet your daughter too.  He said she was a way better Latin student than he was.  I thought it was cool that two kids from the same online course were there at the same weekend.  

LOL! She is a self-proclaimed nerd of languages. :) 

• Like 1

Exactly! This is much of what I was trying, with much less elegance and success, to get at.  

Application and scholarship results are unpredictable and often make no logical sense from our side of the action.  I think the kids represented here on the board have some wonderful successes but are not immune from less than positive results.

Too often we, the parent educators, take that as a personal hit and reflection on our own success.  Our kids also feel it and wonder what they did wrong.  Together we wonder if homeschooling was a success and how this all reflects on the reputation of homeschoolers in general.  We, parents and kids, together have a huge personal investment in the educational process and the results it produces.  For those of us with multiple kids we repeat this process over again with each child.  With each new experience comes new celebrations and new frustrations as unique as the individuals involved.  As Sebastian pointed out, those thick and thin envelops are not a statement on your worth as a human being or a predictor of what your life will become down the road.  

As kids make exciting choices this month and get ready to head off to colleges, jobs, internships, and other opportunities we should be celebrating the commencement of the next phase of their lives and proud of how we've prepared them to face the challenges ahead.

The college application process is fraught with frustrations; some based on acceptance rates, some based on scholarship results, and some based on finding the best financial path forward.  There is elation and disappointment.  It is important to remember there will be both.

I'm jumping back on the college crazy train later this month with my son-a totally different set of goals, academic and career plans, and desires than the first kid I helped through the process.  Time to review transcripts, write new course descriptions, gather financial info, research schools and scholarships. We will have challenges, good news and bad news, and some tense moments in the next year. At the end he will have a plan forward for the future and at this point I can't tell what that will be but he'll have one.

In the meantime, congratulations to the WTMBoards Class of 2017 and their families-such amazing opportunities lie ahead!  You all have so very much to be proud of and celebrate looking at these lists.

• Like 9

Exactly! This is much of what I was trying, with much less elegance and success, to get at.  

Application and scholarship results are unpredictable and often make no logical sense from our side of the action.  I think the kids represented here on the board have some wonderful successes but are not immune from less than positive results.

Too often we, the parent educators, take that as a personal hit and reflection on our own success.  Our kids also feel it and wonder what they did wrong.  Together we wonder if homeschooling was a success and how this all reflects on the reputation of homeschoolers in general.  We, parents and kids, together have a huge personal investment in the educational process and the results it produces.  For those of us with multiple kids we repeat this process over again with each child.  With each new experience comes new celebrations and new frustrations as unique as the individuals involved.  As Sebastian pointed out, those thick and thin envelops are not a statement on your worth as a human being or a predictor of what your life will become down the road.  

As kids make exciting choices this month and get ready to head off to colleges, jobs, internships, and other opportunities we should be celebrating the commencement of the next phase of their lives and proud of how we've prepared them to face the challenges ahead.

The college application process is fraught with frustrations; some based on acceptance rates, some based on scholarship results, and some based on finding the best financial path forward.  There is elation and disappointment.  It is important to remember there will be both.

I'm jumping back on the college crazy train later this month with my son-a totally different set of goals, academic and career plans, and desires than the first kid I helped through the process.  Time to review transcripts, write new course descriptions, gather financial info, research schools and scholarships. We will have challenges, good news and bad news, and some tense moments in the next year. At the end he will have a plan forward for the future and at this point I can't tell what that will be but he'll have one.

In the meantime, congratulations to the WTMBoards Class of 2017 and their families-such amazing opportunities lie ahead!  You all have so very much to be proud of and celebrate looking at these lists.

I thought your post was quite eloquent.  And I really appreciated it.  

• Like 5

Dd did not get the departmental award at Davidson. It was the scholarship she wanted the most. She would have traded all of her other merit aid offers for this one. It is still a great option for her and she had so much contact with the department over the weekend. Also they named her their honorary recipient, meaning she gets the privileges but not the money. She has so much need aid that the scholarship would have removed work study and that is all. So she still has what she wanted about the scholarship - a writing mentor, first dibs on English classes, etc.

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 16

One more entry for the list.

DS just got word that he was awarded a Navy ROTC scholarship. Super excited celebration here. It wasn't decided until the last board of the year.

• Like 32

DS just got word that he was awarded a Navy ROTC scholarship. Super excited celebration here. It wasn't decided until the last board of the year.

YAY!  So happy for both of you!!! :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

• Like 1

YAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!! We're still crossing our fingers here--so glad you told me that there had been one more board last week. 

• Like 3

dd#3 is Berkeley bound!!!  she loved Cal Day.  

the college of chemistry is an amazing place with amazing people, and small enough that she won't get lost in the shuffle.  i can see her there easily.  the college of chemistry is one of the few colleges where you apply with your major declared.  they had a meet and greet friday before CalDay, and we spent two hours speaking with current students, advisors, and the incoming class of 2021.  

(someone asked about wait lists; stanford says wait list students will begin to hear the middle of may.  no idea what dd will do if that actually happens.... which is not at all likely... )

• Like 16

:party: Off Wait-List!  Officially U of Rochester Med School bound this fall!!!  PLENTY of celebrating going on here!!!  :party:

(One had to wonder how a med school could waitlist their own college's highest recommended student who ended up graduating Summa Cum Laude AND who got University-wide awards for both Academics and Residential Life... but we won't bother dwelling on it anymore - just a story to tell around the fire later and a WARNING to all to beware of faulty pre-med advising.  PS  The Dr who called him told him he could reapply for MSTP after his first two years of med school if he still wants to - his application is really strong...)

What a wonderful ending to your saga! I am so, so happy for your ds!

• Like 8

:party: Off Wait-List!  Officially U of Rochester Med School bound this fall!!!  PLENTY of celebrating going on here!!!  :party:

(One had to wonder how a med school could waitlist their own college's highest recommended student who ended up graduating Summa Cum Laude AND who got University-wide awards for both Academics and Residential Life... but we won't bother dwelling on it anymore - just a story to tell around the fire later and a WARNING to all to beware of faulty pre-med advising.  PS  The Dr who called him told him he could reapply for MSTP after his first two years of med school if he still wants to - his application is really strong...)

Yay!! So happy for all of you!

• Like 5

Yay for the great news, Creekland!! Glad to hear it!

I have a couple of friends who went through UofR's med school. Hope it works out just as well for your son...He deserves a top notch experience after everything this year! I'm so glad that Rochester came to its senses. Go celebrate!!

• Like 7

:party: Off Wait-List!  Officially U of Rochester Med School bound this fall!!! 

What wonderful news!  Congratulations to him and to you.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:  That is fantastic!!!! So glad for a happy ending!!!

• Like 3

Thanks all!  We are all very grateful for whoever/however it worked out.  The lad bought a car today (needed now that he's not going to be living on campus - it's his first car ever) and we went out for a steak dinner.  It's nice to be celebrating with him.

• Like 12

So relieved and happy for you guys!

• Like 1

Thanks all! We are all very grateful for whoever/however it worked out. The lad bought a car today (needed now that he's not going to be living on campus - it's his first car ever) and we went out for a steak dinner. It's nice to be celebrating with him.

Well-deserved!!

I've been off the boards for a few days on a fun girls' trip and was thrilled to return and see your post that your ds got off the med school waitlist!! Wonderful, wonderful news! Many congrats to all!!

• Like 3

Yay, Creekland!!  So happy and relieved for you and him!!  He absolutely deserves that and will be amazing!

• Like 1

Creekland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I am over-the-top excited for your ds.  I was gut-wrenched and honestly angry about the situation your ds was in and this is awesome, awesome, awesome news.  

• Like 5

Do the wave, happy dance across the floor, clink the glasses, and scream for joy!!!

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  

• Like 2

OMG!  OMG!  OMG!  

This makes me so happy!

Congratulations to your DS and to you!

Did I mention how happy I am?  

• Like 3